View Full Version : Legal AOC

October 27th, 2010, 19:03
Another debate has arisen about the legal age of consent in Thailand. We all know it is set at 18 years but did the authorities not bring in a clause back in 2003 time that made paid sex with an under 20 year old illegal? At the same time it was also made illegal for under 20 year olds to enter places of entertainment such as discos and bars unless employed as waiters. Remember the ID checks carried out at the entrances to Soi's 2 and 4 in Bangkok where under 20 year olds were stopped and turned away?

cdnmatt
October 27th, 2010, 19:22
I'm no lawyer, but as far as I'm aware, legal AOC is 15 in Thailand, you can have sex for pay at 18, and you can have a drink a bar at 20. In KK at least, most of the larger clubs seem to strictly enforce the 20yo limit. The cops do regular checks around here, and if they find someone under 20, the bar gets fined something like 20,000 or 30,000 baht, with the possibility of having their license revoked. However, if you're with a farang, the ID check doesn't matter. If you walk through the entrance door with a farang, you could probably be 14, and still get in. They never ID anyone with a farang, for some unknown reason.

There's been a few times now where there was a 17yo with us even, and I kept getting prodded, "Come on Matt, you have to come with us, or else he can't get in!". Go there, line of people at the front getting ID'd, security in on the ball, people getting turned away, and we just walk right in.

October 27th, 2010, 19:26
The Law:
You can work in a bar at age 18
You have to be 20 to enter the bar as a customer

October 27th, 2010, 23:19
I would say you have summarized it correctly Matt, but with the way that laws in Thailand can be construed to sometimes suit the BIB etc. I would play completely safe if picking up a guy for a nights fun and make sure that he was at least 20 years of age. Also what would be the point of picking a guy up if you couldn't later take him (if you so wanted to) out to a entertainment place if he was not legally allowed in there. When they first set up barriers at the street end of both Silom Soi 2 and Soi 4 back in 2003 time no Thai, and even those Farangs who could not prove that they were 20 plus got through.

Beachlover
October 28th, 2010, 09:36
At the same time it was also made illegal for under 20 year olds to enter places of entertainment such as discos and bars unless employed as waiters. Remember the ID checks carried out at the entrances to Soi's 2 and 4 in Bangkok where under 20 year olds were stopped and turned away?
Yep, I can confirm they still do this. You have to show your passport both at the soi entrance and upon entering the club itself too.

I think it kind of sucks 18-20 year olds aren't allowed in the clubs. I wonder what the reason for that is?

However, if you're with a farang, the ID check doesn't matter. If you walk through the entrance door with a farang, you could probably be 14, and still get in. They never ID anyone with a farang, for some unknown reason.
Interesting they do that in KK. Definitely wouldn't work in Bangkok. At DJ Station if you are a farang or foreigner you are not allowed in unless you can prove you are over 20. If I forget my passport I have to go back for it.

I would play completely safe if picking up a guy for a nights fun and make sure that he was at least 20 years of age.
Yeah, but you hear about so many farang here wanting 18-19 year olds from the gogo bars...

allieb
October 28th, 2010, 13:04
At DJ Station if you are a farang or foreigner you are not allowed in unless you can prove you are over 20. If I forget my passport I have to go back for it

In all the years I have been going to DJ station I have never seen a Farang who looks anywhere near the wrong side of 20. They are just waived through and never asked for proof of age.

As you are Asian and you say in your 20's then thats why you are asked for a passport. Firstly Asians often look younger than they are. Secondly you are mistaken for a Thai.

October 28th, 2010, 14:24
As you are Asian and you say in your 20's then thats why you are asked for a passport. Firstly Asians often look younger than they are. Secondly you are mistaken for a Thai.

It does happen; a gay friend of mine who I had met up with in Soi 4 was waiting for his gay nephew who was visiting Thailand with his boyfriend, both were in their early twenties. They were refused entry both to Silom Soi 4 and later to Soi 2 until they showed their passports.

If I remember correctly this was all started up by Thaksins then interior minister, a poisinous little man who owned Thai TV Channel 3. He was the one who used to like to accompany raids on the Sois (closing places down and pee testing the staff) along with his TV crews and every police general around hoping to gain smarty points with his 'dear leader'

Beachlover
October 28th, 2010, 16:19
In all the years I have been going to DJ station I have never seen a Farang who looks anywhere near the wrong side of 20. They are just waived through and never asked for proof of age.
That, I find hard to believe. You've probably been to DJ Station more times than I have. There are actually quite a few youngish (20-30) farangs there these days. Last trip I even saw a trio of REALLY young farangs who looked like they could have been 18-19... cute too.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I just assumed all the other foreigners get checked the same way. They always take my passport and look at it for a moment before letting me in at both checkpoints.

If I remember correctly this was all started up by Thaksins then interior minister, a poisinous little man who owned Thai TV Channel 3. He was the one who used to like to accompany raids on the Sois (closing places down and pee testing the staff) along with his TV crews and every police general around hoping to gain smarty points with his 'dear leader'
Ah, that explains it. I always wondered why they are so strict.

Beachlover
October 28th, 2010, 16:58
Sounds like LMTU's idea of the AOG in Thailand in his own mind is 15:

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 20297.html

HOW FUNNY (someone) WAS BANNED FROM THE DARK SIDE FORUM, HAD STOLEN YOUR POST UNDAUNTED, SO THIS IS A WONDERFUL WAY TO FIND OUT HOW SPOT ON YOU ARE WITH YOUR OBSERVATIONS, LOOKS LIKE THE AGE OF CONSENT AROUND THE WORLD SEEMS TO CONCENTRATE MAINLY ON PEDOPHILES, WHO LIKE ANY ONE UNDER 15.

THOSE WHO LIKE OVER 15 ARE PEDERASTS AND SEEMS TO BE ACCEPTED IN MOST COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD, AMERICA CANT MAKE THEIR MIND UP AS USUAL AND ARE CONFUSED AT WHAT MINIMUM AGE TO AGREE AT. WITH VARIED AGES OF CONSENT ALL OVER THE COUNTRY, BUT MOST AGREE UNDER 15 IS RAPE, AS THE CHILD DOES NOT HAVE HIS OWN POWERS OF UNDERSTANDING HE IS TO YOUNG FOR SEX, WITH OR WITH OUT AGREEMENT.

October 28th, 2010, 17:41
While CdnMatt is correct that there is a lower age of consent for non-commercial sex (I had thought it was 16, but he may be right), my recollection is that it required parental approval below the age of 18. If so, it might mean that demands from your new young BF's family became literally irresistible! Much better to wait.

Beachlover
October 28th, 2010, 17:57
I think that as a foreigner, any sexual relations with someone under 18, paid or non-paid would be considered an offence.

Just don't do it. Seriously, it's just not a good look when some relatively wealthy 40 or 50 or even 60 year old Westerner with grey hair and an imposing figure picks up a dirt poor young (not yet adult) boy, even if they are 16 or 17 and over the AOC for "non-commercial" sex. A low life like LMTU who has been caught before will of course, continue to just do what he thinks is right in his own ethically warped mind... that is, until cancer in the brain terminates him.

cdnmatt
October 28th, 2010, 18:05
Sounds like LMTU's idea of the AOG in Thailand in his own mind is 15

Actually, AOC in Thailand is 15, but that only really applies to Thais. It doesn't apply to farangs, unless you can somehow prove to a judge that it's a mutual loving & bona-fide relationship, with no financial benefits involved for the Thai.

If there's any monetary benefit whatsoever for the Thai involved, you can't have sex with him unless he's 18+. That 15yo AOC law is just so uncles can't fuck their 11yo nephews & nieces, type of thing. Doesn't apply to farangs.

October 28th, 2010, 18:10
As I mentioned earlier, the main problem with a country like Thailand is the interpretation of whats legal and not legal. I most certainly would not advise a visitor especially a new visitor to Thailand to 'off' a guy just turned 18 years old despite what the law says or doesn't say as everything can be turned in favour of the BIB etc.. especially if he is out to line his pockets. Keep to those that are 20 plus and be safe.....

bkkguy
October 28th, 2010, 19:12
As I mentioned earlier, the main problem with a country like Thailand is the interpretation of whats legal and not legal. I most certainly would not advise a visitor especially a new visitor to Thailand to 'off' a guy just turned 18 years old despite what the law says or doesn't say as everything can be turned in favour of the BIB etc.. especially if he is out to line his pockets. Keep to those that are 20 plus and be safe.....

if you are going to use that line of reasoning then you should not off anyone at all because all prostitution is illegal in Thailand regardless of the age of the parties involved!

most of the treads like this on most of the forums usually start with a question about the age of consent then degenerate into posts full of misleading, confusing, inconsistent or just plain wrong information about the law and what is "safe".

the age of consent in Thailand is 15 but most falung are prosecuted under the anti-prostitution and other laws and the penalty is much harsher if the prostitute is under 18 and the law is rarely enforced if the prostitute is over 18 hence why many people say the "age of consent" or the "safe" age is 18 - though this is the first time I have heard the age to legally drink in a venue (20) used as the "safe" age for prostitution!

Actually, AOC in Thailand is 15, but that only really applies to Thais. It doesn't apply to farangs, unless you can somehow prove to a judge that it's a mutual loving & bona-fide relationship, with no financial benefits involved for the Thai.

well actually the AOC law contains no reference to the nationality of the offender, but the police usually find it easier to use other laws, and no you don't need to prove a "mutual loving & bona-fide relationship", you just need to prove no financial benefit - usually a very hard sell.

While CdnMatt is correct that there is a lower age of consent for non-commercial sex (I had thought it was 16, but he may be right), my recollection is that it required parental approval below the age of 18.

I am not aware of any laws requiring parental consent for sex below the age of 18 (or 15) but there are certainly laws about accommodating a minor away from the family home without parental approval

IANAL (I am not a lawyer) but my recommendation is not to put too much faith in the crap that you read on forums - reasonable English translations of the related laws are fairly easy to obtain, try a google search or purchase a translation of the Thai penal code then look selectively here for some possibly reasonable information of current enforcement of the law!

bkkguy

October 28th, 2010, 19:36
If you are going to use that line of reasoning then you should not off anyone at all because all prostitution is illegal in Thailand regardless of the age of the parties involved! bkkguy

Thank you to bkkguy for putting it all in his linear perspective as being "crap" As Thais so enjoy saying in answer to a lot of questions "It's up to you"

If you read my post I said or meant that even though it might be legal I would not personally 'off' a guy who had just reached his 18th birthday, and that is "Up to me" and not you!

October 28th, 2010, 23:11
I did a google search and this is what Wiki has to say:

The age of consent in Thailand is 15 (with the below caveat) as specified by article 279 of the Thai Criminal Code. The current legislation applies to all regardless of gender and/or sexual orientation, although it is a common misconception that it applies only to women.[citation needed]
However parts of the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act which disallow any sexual contact with prostitutes under the age of 18, are widely interpreted by some local authorities to cover sexual acts classed as "obscenity for personal gratification". Also from the Penal Code Amendment Act of 1997 Section 283bis, having sex with a child under 18 is a compoundable offense even with the consent of that person. The parent or the child may file charges against the other side if he or she later regrets his or her own action. This ostensibly makes the Thai unfettered age of consent 18.

Which is pretty close to what I remembered. This confirms the message given by almost everyone here not to have sex with anyone under 18. Why Bkkguy thinks it is unsafe to heed advice to err on the side of caution is beyond me.

dab69
October 28th, 2010, 23:14
don't care if his ID says 18-20 if he LOOKSyoung
to be out with certainly don't want to be seen with a questionable
looking aged boy.

October 28th, 2010, 23:43
looking aged boy.

Fortunately for some, the boys have no such qualms over being seen out with hideous, booze-soaked, drug-addicted, coffin-dodging, predatory old queens.

:occasion9:

October 28th, 2010, 23:51
Fortunately for some, the boys have no such qualms over being seen out with hideous, booze-soaked, drug-addicted, coffin-dodging, predatory old queens.:occasion9:

Or men with strange accents who call everyone Jimmy and wear checkered skirts with fluffy 'things' hanging on the front.... :thumbleft:

October 29th, 2010, 00:05
Fortunately for some, the boys have no such qualms over being seen out with hideous, booze-soaked, drug-addicted, coffin-dodging, predatory old queens.:occasion9:

Or men with strange accents who call everyone Jimmy and wear checkered skirts with fluffy 'things' hanging on the front.... :thumbleft:

That wasn't a "thingy" I was wearing - I'll have you know it was made from bits of a Seal!!

What's more - some of those people ARE actually called Jimmy - even the women.

:sharm:

jolyjacktar
October 29th, 2010, 01:03
Any old ferang that wants to know the age of consent being 15 is in my view looking for young chicken with out being arrested.
Why would any ferang want to know the age of consent unless they wanted to pick up a young person. For gods sake stick to men not kids you pervs

October 29th, 2010, 01:20
Any old ferang that wants to know the age of consent being 15 is in my view looking for young chicken with out being arrested.
Why would any ferang want to know the age of consent unless they wanted to pick up a young person. For gods sake stick to men not kids you pervs

Here was me thinking that life on the high seas mostly just involved "Rum, Bum, and Concertina" - as described by the late George Melly - with ritual buggering of the cabin-boys, but thanks to JJT I now know that becoming a mind-reader is part of the experience too.

OHHHHHH ARRRRRRRRR ME HEARTIES

:laughing3:

PS: I bet Jolyjacktar drinks his own piss as well - just to reminisce.

cdnmatt
October 29th, 2010, 01:26
looking aged boy.

Yes, because you wouldn't want any of the farangs in Sunee or Boyztown to look down on you. The horror!

cdnmatt
October 29th, 2010, 01:30

Ohhh, settle down. Probably for the same reason many of us know all about Thai immigration law, drug law, requirements to incorporate a business, and so on. If you're going to be spending considerable amount of time in a foreign country, it's probably best to brush up on the laws a bit.

October 29th, 2010, 01:34
Ohhh, settle down.

http://www.freewebs.com/costaentertainment/ken%20goodwin.jpg

Brad the Impala
October 29th, 2010, 02:24
Which is pretty close to what I remembered. This confirms the message given by almost everyone here not to have sex with anyone under 18. Why Bkkguy thinks it is unsafe to heed advice to err on the side of caution is beyond me.

It's pretty close to what all of us remembered, including Bkkguy(I think that you misread his post). It seems that Combat has a bee in his bonnet about the age of consent being twenty! Why not twenty five? Just to be safe and avoid opprobium!

Beachlover
October 29th, 2010, 02:48
Tell that to "let me tell u"... He's constantly harping on about this subject and how to make sure you're not caught like he was. He's completely oblivious to how stupid it is for him to keep talking about 15 year olds when he's been caught and had to pay a huge bribe to get out of it.

I think 18-20 year olds are the norm in gogo bars. But outside of them, it's not a bad idea to stick to over 20s. I mainly pick up in clubs and discos so they're all over 20.

Do you know what the age limit for entry into saunas is? Is it 18 or 20?