PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Shopping Notes

Surfcrest
April 26th, 2006, 10:42
Every year that I am in Thailand I try to plan being in Bangkok for the weekend. Mainly this is to take advantage of Chatuchak Market or the weekend market. IтАЩm not sure what the actual schedule of the market is other than its Saturday / Sunday only with most stalls open by 10am and many starting to close down around 6pm. Both the Skytrain BTS and Subway MRT run to the market area, but only the Subway will get you right inside the park. There is a stop on the MRT called Chatuchak Park, but confusing, as it may be this isnтАЩt the stop that gets you right into the market. Kamphaeng Phet Station not only puts you into the market but at a good starting location for the many different sections.

Quite often there are people at many of the entrances handing out maps that show you the different sections colourized where vendors selling this type or that type of commodity are located. ItтАЩs a good idea to get one of these maps, even if you have been here before. If you see something of interest that you are thinking about coming back for later you should probably make a note of where the stall is. Finding things the second time is extremely difficult unless you really know the market well. IтАЩve heard it said, тАЬIf it isnтАЩt at Chatuchak it probably doesnтАЩt existтАЭ. The area with the stalls selling animals and creatures of all types can be a little overwhelming. With the heat, the smells, the floor wet with urine and limbless beggars dragging themselves around it may not be for everybody.

Many of the stalls are associated with stores around the city, extending their marketing to Chatuchak on Saturday and Sunday. IтАЩve found that many are based in the sprawl of shops around Baiyoke I and II Towers. ItтАЩs easy and affordable to get to this area on the BTS by getting off at Phayathai Station. After coming down to street level from the skytrain, take a cab / bike / tuk-tuk south down Phayathai Rd towards Baiyoke. The street stalls shops begin as you get close to Petchburi Rd continuing by the towers to Ratchaprasang Rd. Both Baiyoke Towers as well as many of the other buildings in the area house thousands of shops selling much of the same stuff you will find both at Chatuchak and in the Patpong. The convenience is that they are open in the daytime and not only on the weekend. One mistake that many people make is to buy new suitcases at Chatuchak. Lugging these big things down the narrow aisles at Chatuchak can be very impractical. Buying them in the Baiyoke area can be cheaper and very convenient for catching a cab back to where you need to go.
Many of the prices in this area are marked, yet bargaining is still possible occasionally. I generally find things are cheaper here than they are at either Chatuchak or the Patpong.

There are quite a few other markets around the city selling this or that. IтАЩve noticed that on MondayтАЩs many if not most of the stalls are closed. Last night on Silom, the police were out in force harassing the stalls about something. Many opened late and some failed to open at all. Simom and the Patpong of course are famous for knock-offs and souvenirs for tourists.

Surfcrest

April 26th, 2006, 10:45
Simom and the Patpong of course are famous for knock-offsNot to mention Soi Prostitute - I've knocked off quite a few boys from there

April 26th, 2006, 11:48
Chatuchak market is also open on a Wednesday and Thursday when vendors flock in from many provinces selling plants. It is very busy and I wouldn't recommend for casual tourists, as pretty as it all is, unless you are intent on buying plants like myself. The combination of intense heat and exhaust fumes (pick-up trucks come and go with their cargo) is almost unbearable. Having said that it is probably the greatest tropical sub-tropical plant market on earth and almost any-thing or everything can be found.

April 26th, 2006, 11:50
One mistake that many people make is to buy new suitcases at Chatuchak. Lugging these big things down the narrow aisles at Chatuchak can be very impractical. Buying them in the Baiyoke area can be cheaper and very convenient for catching a cab back to where you need to go.
Surfcrest

I agree with Surf . .. Pratunam market (the Baiyoke area) is the best for luggage. Also the best for small bags, and believe it or not jeans and t-shirts if you are willing to buy in bulk. Also the best for club clothing and knock-off shoes. The luggage and Denim and Shirts I have bought from here have lasted in great condition over 2 years now. I can hardly say the same for the "gucci" wallet and "prada" arm band I got at patpong.

Overall, Pratunam is my favorite market in BKK, and when you get tired of the heat, you can just go to gaysorn or some other close place. Just don't try to get a taxi back from the area around 3:00 p.m. Not only does everyone want one, but the drivers aren't too keen to take you anywhere more than a block and a half away.

good post surfcrest!

Smiles
April 26th, 2006, 12:22
Never been to Pratunam Market, but from the comments here in the opening post and by HeWentThere I will surely give it a try.

I like Chatachuk, but only in small doses. First time going there I wasn't prepared for the incredible heat generated in the middle of that huge place, I think a combination of the massed human bodies and the overhead tenting and tin roofs allowing no possibility of breezes helping things out. Just about expired that time (jeans, socks, shoes ... all the wrong apparel), and have gotten smarter on subsequent visits.

Has anyone else noticed that if one goes to Thailand regularly one seems to get acclimatized to the heat & humidity much more quickly each time? This last month-long trip has been in April (just about the hottest) and I'm absolutely certain the heat does not effect me nearly as much as it did years ago.

Cheers ...

April 26th, 2006, 12:37
This so very true Smiles, I hardly notice the heat and humidity any-more. Over Easter I was playing tennis every evening in Bangkok and even the odd impromptu footie match with the staff. Your body definitely acclimatises, though its worth taking it easy the first few days and drinking lots of water.

Chatuchak is very badly ventilated but refreshment can be found in one or 2 air-coned coffee shops. I try and avoid air-con but even I wilt at Chatuchatk. Drinks are also limited but soda water or sparkling will do the trick.

April 26th, 2006, 14:43
A portable fan. Paid 150 Baht for it, didn't even negotiate. To me at the time, it would have been cheap at twice the price.

Another thing about Chatachuk . . . at the kamphaeng phet station as soon as you exit it you come face to face almost with a sit down restaurant. They had some of the best fried chicken I have ever had in my life . . . and I am from the American South.

Also, on another note, I thought I should mention that 3/4 of pratunam market is located inside buildings so it can help you beat the heat. Just be advised though that the aircon works about as well as the escalators.

http://www.hasekamp.net/markets3.htm

manfarang-old
April 27th, 2006, 05:24
I love Chatuchak Market, but tend to go there only on my November trip - great for picking up Christmas gifts for home and sometimes the heat is actually bearable. Still, BF tends to wear out much earlier than I do - after we've perused the fashion area he's ready to leave - and we usually have a minor bickerfest as to when we should call it a day.

Pratanum certainly has marvelous deals and variety of clothing, but no nearby Skytrain or, I believe, subway station. We had a hell of a time getting a taxi to take us back to our hotel in Ramkanhaeng.

My favorite market du jour is Chiang Mai's Thapae Gate street market (Sunday's only). Great prices on many items and it's open until around 11pm so it's much easier to avoid the sun and daytime heat.

April 27th, 2006, 08:07
is walkable from Chit Lom skytrain, and if you are so inclined and familiar with them, there is a very convenient canal boat (klong). I had such a hard time getting a taxi back I wound up walking to Chit Lom station. It really wasn't that bad.

Surfcrest
April 27th, 2006, 09:52
Another area that has become quite popular as of late is the deck under the BTS between National Stadium (MBK) and Siam. For the past few days it has been packed with both vendors and shoppers.

Also, the police were out in force again on Silom and Suriwong.
Dare I say some palms have become dry?
The police set up a table near Burger King and were reviewing ID, I pressume from the vendors.
It appears as though they were checking licenses and possibly ensuring that the vendor's license matched their ID.
I find the best stalls in the area are between Soi 4 and Robinson's. The closer you get to Robinson's the better they get.
They have some great fag clothes, accessories as well as funky clocks and gay DVD's.
Many of these stalls failed to open last night unfortunately, with the police presence.

HeWentTHere mentioned the great deals on knock-off jeans available at Pratunam Market.
I've always been amazed at how current the knock-off manufacturers can keep up with the best brand names.
I just bought a $300 dollar pair of "Seven " jeans before coming over and was amazed to see almost the same item copied and available for 500 baht. They haven't done as good a job with the G-Star copies, but if they fit why not?
You can find similar brand names at some of the Patpong stalls, but the quality is not the same as at Pratunam Market.

If you have ever been to Chakran you will know the food stalls between Ari Station and Ari 2.
These stalls specialize in small grilled items, soups, fresh squeezed juices and so much more.
It's very handy to stop for a quick, delicious bite on the way home or to wherever.

Surfcrest

Smiles
April 27th, 2006, 10:15
For those who'd like to try Pratunam Market but not quite sure where it is located, here's a decent map:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Images/pratunam.jpg

Cheers ...