PDA

View Full Version : Thai National Granted Political Refugee Status in UK

Brad the Impala
October 23rd, 2010, 16:02
Fairly ground breaking that at least one Western government now recognises that Thai nationals are at such risk for political reasons in their own country.

I applied for political asylum in the U.K. on the basis that if I returned to Thailand, I would be at risk of persecution from non-State and State actors due to my own political activities and to my close association with my husband. Since the year 2000 we had written books and article together and had collaborated on a number of Human Rights projects. Neither of us has ever been involved in violent acts. We merely stood up for Democracy and Human Rights and opposed the military coup in 2006 and the subsequent destruction of Democracy.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/siamvoices/thailand-s-real-refugee-problem-an-interview

Patexpat
October 23rd, 2010, 16:46
I think 'fairly ground breaking' is an understatement Brad .... will be interested to see how this story runs ...

October 23rd, 2010, 19:00
I didn't realise that "actors" were so dangerous!

I always though they were a bunch of pooves, lezzies, alkies, and drug fiends.

You learn something new every day on SGT.

:hello1:

Beachlover
October 23rd, 2010, 20:44
Interesting...

I heard an openly gay guy was recently granted refugee status because homosexuality is illegal in his home country of Malaysia. Is this true? If so... geez... wouldn't that open the door to an enormous swarm of Malaysians?

October 23rd, 2010, 20:55
Interesting...I heard an openly gay guy was recently granted refugee status because homosexuality is illegal in his home country of Malaysia. Is this true? If so... geez... wouldn't that open the door to an enormous swarm of Malaysians?

The U.k. Immigration laws are open to interpretation. One of the lastest to come to light was an Egyptian man who was refused permission to stay because he had claimed he was an Iraqi refugee fleeing persecution. He was later granted the right to remain in England because he married a Lithuanian...You couldn't make it up if you tried.

Beachlover
October 23rd, 2010, 21:13
LOL... Good lawyers are worth every cent they're paid.