PDA

View Full Version : bringing laptop, using cybercafes or using hotel's pc?

October 23rd, 2010, 02:58
When you travel alone to Thailand, you have, basically, two ways of having sex: in a sauna, with a guy from a bar or with a guy you meet somewhere. In "somewhere", i realize these times you must include gay.com, gayromeo, etc., since i've read about their increasing importance.
On the other day , someone mentioned he was using GR most of the times, partially because he does not drink alcohol -so he is not confortable in bars-, and partilly because GR would avoiding him to pay bar fines.

I understand him but i i am thinking og using GR for another reason: it is better if you want to meet a boy during daytime.

Fror that (and for reading/sending emails, reading news from homeland, knowing your team results in the league, etc), you need a computer, you need internet.

How do you do, when you are travelling? You bring your laptop,so you can use it anytime ( if your hotel has the service), but having the risk of getting robbed, also carryimg more weight/more luggage? You use your hotel free pc (some have one or 2 pc -free or not- in the lobby), taking the chance the pc are working, free or not too expensive and you can access to the sites you want to? Or you use cybercafes?

If you use cybercafes, wich ones you can mention/advice in BKK (rama IV, sathon, sil om areas) and in Pattaya (central-south)?

October 23rd, 2010, 04:25
You will find that a netbook such as the Samsung N150 fits very well inside the hotel room safe (yes even those small digital keypad safes) - so no worries about theft if you have that type of machine. If you don't have that kind of equipment it might be worth investing in if you travel frequently.

Connection however is a different matter - monst hotels will charge a premium to connect by WiFi in your room - but if you pay by the week rather than by the hour it can be bearable. Others may have free Wifi connection in the lobby only which is hardly convenient. Some have coin-operated computers in the lobby. Alternatively you can trail your laptop round Pattaya like some kind of vagrant, looking for free WiFi in, say, McDonalds. I'm sure some of the Cheap Charlies on SGT can advise on this :occasion9:

If you have a mobile broadband dongle already, it may be worth visiting some of the computer shops or mobile phone shops and asking if you can buy a data-enabled Thai Sim card which you could use in your own dongle? I aimed to do this last time, but never investigated it. Equally, you could conceivably use your mobile phone (with data-enabled Thai Sim card) as a modem? I'm no expert but I don't see why that couldn't be possible - with a bit of help.

I must admit I rarely used my netbook after all - I found far more interesting things to do even during the day - but it was a handy option.

Good luck!!

:occasion9:

Cees-Holland
October 23rd, 2010, 06:33
Hi there,
I use my Samsung N10 netbook (=small laptop: 1kg, 10" screen) and my Nokia N5800 as a modem to connect (SIM from 12call) with internet.
Is cheap, works almost always but the speed is S L O W but enough for reading email and surfing.

Netbook fits in small save but I put the netbook in my hard-cased-suitcase with a lock.
I don't show anyone that I use a laptop/netbook when staying in a hotel or the likes (I put away the mouse and the wires too).

Beachlover
October 23rd, 2010, 14:13
You'll find traveling with at least a netbook gives you less to worry about. You can access the net, along with any important documents (flights/bookings) anytime without having to think ahead...

Plus, it's really handy for phone calls too. If you put Skype on it and grab a headset, you'll find you can make phone calls (local/international) anytime without having to think ahead or worry about what the hotel phone calling rates are.

I never got into meeting guys online while traveling but I carry my laptop everywhere I go for business purposes and to stay connected. My entire life is organised from my laptop... I make and receive phone calls, run meetings, handle e-mails, churn out work, plan stuff and do all my administrative shit on it.

I have a powerful ultra-light/thin laptop which doesn't add much weight to my luggage. I keep it locked in my bag or in the room safe. It fits in most room safes.

I never stay anywhere without a fast, reliable, in-room internet connection. Can't be without it. Most places I stay in have no additional charge for internet but if there is, I will include it in the rate of the room when price comparing with its competitors so sometimes I pay 500 or 1,000 baht/day for the internet connection but it works out as good value overall. In some of the high-end hotels you can often push them into including it for free if they're keen to make the sale... No hotel should be charging for internet in this day and age.

1. If you don't already have one, grab a netbook. The Samsung one or the Asus Eee are pretty good. If you're using it more than light e-mailing/browsing, consider getting a proper laptop. Netbooks shouldn't weigh more than 1.5kgs. Good powerful laptops can be as light as 1.1kgs but shouldn't be heavier than 2kg or you'll find it a pain to carry.

2. Your laptop/netbook should fit into most hotel safes. But always travel with a bag, which is lockable or padlock-able as you can't always count on this. Laptop definitely needs to be kept safe. Netbooks are cheap so not a worry... aside from losing data.

3. If you do more than simple browsing etc. I recommend traveling with one or two portable hard drives. Back up your data every 1-2 days and keep these hard drives separate from your laptop so if one bag or safe gets stolen you don't lose everything.

4. Check if in-room internet is provided in the hotels you're staying. If not, ask them to include it for free or find some place else.

There's a good cafe along Silom Rd near BTS Saladaeng with a good internet connection. I think it's called the Bug'N Bee or something. Interesting menu/drinks. Nice quiet area upstairs to sit and do stuff.

I have a mobile dongle/modem in one country I visit regularly but not Thailand... Grabbing a sim card is a good idea.

netrix
October 23rd, 2010, 15:08
wow you guys are really overthinking this...

i've traveled with my notebook every trip to Thailand, and usually leave it open and running
when i'm not in the room. where do you guys stay that you're so worried about someone
stealing your computer??

internet in hotels if not included is dirt cheap compared to the western world, and internet
cafes are literally everywhere. you can't walk a block without seeing 2 or 3, and they're
ridiculously cheap.

quit stressing about the stupid details and go have fun. sheesh!

Cees-Holland
October 23rd, 2010, 17:59
You are right, there is no reason to get paranoia.

/*Off topic
When my BF and I go for shopping, we go to different shops on our rented scooter.
The things we bought in the previous shops stayed behind on scooter while we go inside the next shop.
Nothing ever got stolen... True, the total prices of the shopping is only a few hundred Baht.

Here in Holland not only your groceries would be gone but chances are the whole scooter would be stolen.
Off topic */

But in general: Most Thais don't have so much money.
I think it is not wise to show off your jewellery, Iphone, camera or laptop etc. Just to be on the safe side.
You need only one thief, between millions of good people, to give you a bad day..

October 23rd, 2010, 18:56

i've traveled with my notebook every trip to Thailand, and usually leave it open and running
when i'm not in the room. where do you guys stay that you're so worried about someone
stealing your computer??

internet in hotels if not included is dirt cheap compared to the western world, and internet
cafes are literally everywhere. you can't walk a block without seeing 2 or 3, and they're
ridiculously cheap.

quit stressing about the stupid details and go have fun. sheesh!

Untwist your knickers, Darling

1. The OP was obviously concerned about security, therefore we gave him advice specifically on that matter.
2. Internet is (in my experience) RARELY included in room rates ( I have stayed in 3 different hotels in the past 2 weeks and in none of them was it included) - and at 1000B/┬г22 a day (accepting Beachy's example) it is NOT dirt cheap in Thailand - you can get a room cheaper than that!
3. Call me old fashioned but I really do not want to be accessing e.g. financial websites in an Internet Cafe.
4. It's seems to me that it's yourself who needs a chill pill.

:occasion9:

Beachlover
October 23rd, 2010, 20:39
Well put Scotty... And yeah, you're right. Most of the work shit I do - especially phone meetings - is not stuff I want to be doing in a net cafe.

If you look around, you should find a lot of hotels, which either have internet included, or will give it to you free if you ask. I stay in both budget/mid-range and high-end places so it's not restricted to a price segment.

Some of the places I stayed either charged 100 baht/hour or 500/1,000 baht/day. I always go for a day-rate as I need to access it and have it on anytime I'm in my room. 1,000 baht/day was outrageous but everything else about the hotel was perfect. I would've paid more to get another place with everything I wanted and internet included.

i've traveled with my notebook every trip to Thailand, and usually leave it open and running when i'm not in the room. where do you guys stay that you're so worried about someonestealing your computer??
That's stupid. I feel fine doing that in a developed country like Australia. I don't do that in any developing country like Thailand. It's not wise.

I don't even do it when I'm staying in a 5-star hotel in Thailand. Anytime I leave the room, the laptop gets put into hibernate and goes in the safe or a locked suitcase. You don't leave a $4.5k laptop on the desk for anyone to walk in a grab. $4.5k is more than most of these cleaners earn in a year.

netrix
October 24th, 2010, 04:29
Well put Scotty... And yeah, you're right. Most of the work shit I do - especially phone meetings - is not stuff I want to be doing in a net cafe.

i've traveled with my notebook every trip to Thailand, and usually leave it open and running when i'm not in the room. where do you guys stay that you're so worried about someonestealing your computer??
That's stupid. I feel fine doing that in a developed country like Australia. I don't do that in any developing country like Thailand. It's not wise.

I don't even do it when I'm staying in a 5-star hotel in Thailand. Anytime I leave the room, the laptop gets put into hibernate and goes in the safe or a locked suitcase. You don't leave a $4.5k laptop on the desk for anyone to walk in a grab. $4.5k is more than most of these cleaners earn in a year.

the OP asked about internet cafes. i rarely use them for my secret ninja important meetings either.
and i simply don't live my life worrying about what others are going to steal from me, unwise or not.

cdnmatt
October 24th, 2010, 04:42
where do you guys stay that you're so worried about someone stealing your computer??

We live in a nice middle class neighborhood, and just a couple weeks ago someone stole my neighbors laptop. Granted, they showed up piss drunk that night and probably forgot to lock the door, but still... If I goto sleep before Kim gets home, I can't lock up, so my laptop comes into the bedroom with me. This laptop is our lifeline, and is what pays the bills.

Anyway, back to OP. Yeah, bring your laptop. Who wants to sit in an internet cafe, surrounded by people while looking for a hooker? Much more comfortable to sit in your room, have the TV or music on, maybe have a drink, etc. Besides, from what I've heard, hunting out a decent hooker can take hours these days. Best to do it in comfort. :-)

krobbie
October 24th, 2010, 05:53
My twopence worth; If I had a portable computer rather than this giant Apple Mac I would certainly take it and may now consider one of the smaller Apple options. After reading the warnings here about the internet caf├йs I have become suddenly wary.

I use a caf├й that is close to my hotel near Saphan Thaksin, Sathorn and it costs 20 baht per hour. It is broadband and clean with modern equipment and until now I have used it exclusively for transferring funds from my NZ banks, checking emails and making onward or forward travel bookings. I have a partner in BKK so I don't need to cruise for extra marital goodies.

Now though, I see my folly in bank transactions in public places and will endeavour to remedy that before my departure in December.

I know this is common sense, which in most other instances I pride myself on. Thanks to the posters on this thread for opening my eyes a little further.

Regards
krobbie

Wesley
October 24th, 2010, 06:20
When you travel alone to Thailand, you have, basically, two ways of having sex: in a sauna, with a guy from a bar or with a guy you meet somewhere. In "somewhere", i realize these times you must include gay.com, gayromeo, etc., since i've read about their increasing importance.
On the other day , someone mentioned he was using GR most of the times, partially because he does not drink alcohol -so he is not confortable in bars-, and partilly because GR would avoiding him to pay bar fines.

I understand him but i i am thinking og using GR for another reason: it is better if you want to meet a boy during daytime.

Fror that (and for reading/sending emails, reading news from homeland, knowing your team results in the league, etc), you need a computer, you need internet.

How do you do, when you are travelling? You bring your laptop,so you can use it anytime ( if your hotel has the service), but having the risk of getting robbed, also carryimg more weight/more luggage? You use your hotel free pc (some have one or 2 pc -free or not- in the lobby), taking the chance the pc are working, free or not too expensive and you can access to the sites you want to? Or you use cybercafes?

If you use cybercafes, wich ones you can mention/advice in BKK (rama IV, sathon, sil om areas) and in Pattaya (central-south)?

I have a tremendous success using Gay Romeo, Getting as many as 30 to 50 hits a day, I easily can meet or, invite over 2 to three guys a day and still go out that night and pick up another. Now, that is not to say, I do go out with that many. But it does give me a rather unusual amount of discretion as to who I go out with and know in general what they look like and want in bed and or, will do in bed and according to my particular mood for the day, its easy to choose a guy and in Manila often in the middle of the night if I like.

So, when I travel, no matter where, since it gives me 24 hr access I keep my lap top with me even on vacation. The usual precautions need to be taken with your laptop. Put it up and out of site but, definitely use it. I began using it 3 years ago and I am sure I have had more than 100 guys I have met on the net and then probably as much at the bars at night, since I like the bar scene its easy for me to pick up just what I want at the bar and then spend the night and next day with him. Then find another the next night on weekends and likely one night during the week, that is, depending on work and how bored I may be at the moment.

netrix
October 24th, 2010, 06:38
Now though, I see my folly in bank transactions in public places and will endeavour to remedy that before my departure in December.

You can use a VPN on a public computer for added security. In fact, it's smart
to use a service like Strong VPN (http://strongvpn.com/aff/scripts/click.php?a_aid=nunetrix&a_bid=5e96b67b) even on your own pc when travelling. For a
few bucks a month you get privacy and security including the ability to access
websites blocked in some countries.

krobbie
October 24th, 2010, 10:40

to use a service like Strong VPN (http://strongvpn.com/aff/scripts/click.php?a_aid=nunetrix&a_bid=5e96b67b) even on your own pc when travelling. For a

Thanks, netrix, for that info. As you may have guessed, I'm not exactly au fait where these things are concerned and rely on the brains trust.

Cheers
krobbie

Beachlover
October 24th, 2010, 10:50

i simply don't live my life worrying about what others are going to steal from me, unwise or not.
Sounds like you live your life worrying about other things then...

netrix
October 24th, 2010, 11:23

i just like to be able to get online from an IP address from the usa from anywhere in the world.

ceejay
October 24th, 2010, 13:41
and may now consider one of the smaller Apple options.
Hi krobbie
It's up to you, of course, and I know some people won't use anything but Macs, but I'd consider a Windows based netbook as well. That's because of money - a Macbook Air will cost you around $1000. A Windows based netbook with a good specification that will do all you want to do, will cost around $400 (or less). Personally, I am on my second ASUS netbookand would happily recommend ASUS for build quality, reliability and performance.

krobbie
October 24th, 2010, 15:38
and may now consider one of the smaller Apple options.
Hi krobbie
It's up to you, of course, and I know some people won't use anything but Macs, but I'd consider a Windows based netbook as well. That's because of money - a Macbook Air will cost you around $1000. A Windows based netbook with a good specification that will do all you want to do, will cost around $400 (or less). Personally, I am on my second ASUS netbookand would happily recommend ASUS for build quality, reliability and performance.

Tanks for that ceejay. Obviously I like Macs as that is what I am used to working on but as you point out that's just throwing money away. I make my living off my Mac computer and that's the only reason I am so addicted to them and am absolutely fraught when it comes to anything else.

Will investigate and have some IT mates who should be able to assist with finalising this. Cheers for info though.

krobbie

Beachlover
October 24th, 2010, 16:32
If you love Macs and just want a secondary device for light usage on the road, consider getting an iPad. They are smaller and lighter than most netbooks and will do fine for light browsing and e-mailing.

They're soooo sexy to use. I've been trying to think of an excuse to get one, but I just can't justify it as my main device is already an ultra-light laptop, which does everything.

krobbie
October 24th, 2010, 17:31
If you love Macs and just want a secondary device for light usage on the road, consider getting an iPad. They are smaller and lighter than most netbooks and will do fine for light browsing and e-mailing.

They're soooo sexy to use. I've been trying to think of an excuse to get one, but I just can't justify it as my main device is already an ultra-light laptop, which does everything.

Have just been looking at my local Mac dealer site for iPad and checking prices. Yikes! Never mind.

The guy that sits not far from me at work has an iPad. He got it the day they arrived in NZ as he is a real ianything type. Got the iPhone (4), iPad, iMac. It was oooh aaah eee from the minute he opened the box ... the bloody dweeb.

However, I have to confess it's pretty nifty. I will have to show more interest and he can tell me what I need to know. I won't ask ALL it can do as it just sets him off on a tangent and my eyes start to glaze over if I allow him too much leeway. :lam:

Beachlover
October 24th, 2010, 17:49
Shit, you're right about the price. Apple must be raking it in with them. The low-end version is $629 and pretty limiting. High end with decent specs is $1,028... flipping stingy with the memory too.

If your iLunatic colleague bought it on a whim, maybe he doesn't use it since the novelty wore off and might sell it to you for less.

I think the main thing it's got is sex appeal and being "nice" to use. The thing is so sleek and the screen is so responsive and bright.

Wesley
October 24th, 2010, 20:58

i simply don't live my life worrying about what others are going to steal from me, unwise or not.

I don't mind losing the laptop as so what is on it, most of that can never be replaces unless you use an autoback up system like Carbonite