PDA

View Full Version : So, where for Christmas and New Years eve ?

October 19th, 2010, 06:24
Hi Guys,

So, I'm heading to LOS from the 20th Dec to the 8th of Jan and am currently trying to work out where to spend my time, i.e perhaps straight from the airport to Pattaya to spend Christmas and then on down to BKK for over New Years eve etc and then on down to Phuket for a few days relaxation on the beach before heading home, OR shoudl it be str8 into BKK for Christmas and new years, the Pattaya and or Phuket - or even nipping up to Chang Mai for a while ??? I've been to all of the above places several times so know what they're all like etc but as that was always around July time and never over Christmas and New Years I don't want to get it wrong and miss all / any ? fun stuck in one place when "everyone" knows "everyone" will be in the other ! Or does it really not matter a jot perhaps ?? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Beachlover
October 19th, 2010, 12:19
Anyone ever spent New Years Even in DJ Station or any of the clubs in Bangkok? What's it like?

ceejay
October 19th, 2010, 13:12
I'm over for a couple of weeks covering Christmas and New Year. I'll be in Chiang Mai for most of the time, including Christmas, then maybe 3 or 4 days in Pattaya. Chiang Mai I'll mostly be touring round the area. I haven't given much thought to what I'll be doing New Year's Eve - that depends on what is going on.

travelerjim
October 19th, 2010, 14:02
Be sure to watch out for the "mandatory fees" being charged by many hotels
in Thailand on Christmas and New Years... :protest:

Outrageous add on fees for Dinner/Party for all registered guests,
regardless if you want to attend the dinner/party...you are charged the fees. :dontknow:

tj

October 19th, 2010, 15:21
RE those mandatory fees - yeah I'd heard about those previously - so are they "really" mandatory" or are they more just as even in Thailand they'll try it on until you politely say "no" and then they agree to remove it ( and catch you out some other way anyway ) so is it a foregone conclusion and no point even discussing it - how much are we talking about here anyway by the way ??-0 not that in the bigger scheme of things I guess it matters that much, more just the principle of not getting "totally" ripped off when you don't have to I guess ?

Also my main question was more directed ( as one of the to other posted has already intimated) as to "is it well known" that the Centre of BKK etc IS without doubt the place to be on Christmas / New years Eve etc as it's "where the party is" or perhaps is it absolutely the place to avoid as it's just "so" busy that you can't get in anywhere etc ( or there's not much difference to an ordinary night out anyway ) and you'd be better elsewhere - or perhaps the other resorts albeit smaller are more personal and hence you've much much more chance of having a bit of craic as we Irish say ? Just I hate to prebook my hotels and get things the wrong way round :-(...... although from what I'm reading on here about lack of visitors generally this year perhaps per booking anywhere this year may not be so important - although I'm guessing Christmas etc "is" the height of the summer season ?? Any advice appreciated ? Thanks.

travelerjim
October 19th, 2010, 16:33
The mandatory fees are just that...MANDATORY!
You can see what they are when you book online for hotel room.

Usually a window or statement will appear which says what the fees are for staying
that night at the hotel...all added to your hotel room charges regardless of whether you have the dinner or attend the party.

Agoda.com, asiahotels.com and many others online booking engines - including the hotel -
will show the extra mandatory fees when you get quoted the room rates.

tj

pong
October 19th, 2010, 16:51
my thoughts:
1.why people would fly long way to see another beach escapes me-the sand in Pattaya/Jomtien looks same-same as in Phuket. Phuket is really famous for money-gauging in general, and that would be double so in that super-high season time.
2.Xmas in BKK is hardly worth mentioning-mainly for shops and sales. In the street you would not even notice it. Is possibly (but dont know) different in PTY-decide yourself what you would like most.
3. on 31/12 about any bar in BKK (and I guess also DJ and the like) puts on a special show/beauty contest (Mr. beautiful) or whatever they have seen from the competition last year or can think of. Appreciation of this rather varies among westerners-it might even be a KaraOK contest. ON 24.00 the usual countdown etc. The BMA will also lay on something special for the few who stay in town (about anyone who can afford it goes home in the province), unless there is yet another series of bombs or nasty things.
[NOte: in small bars you as audience will likely be asked to do some judgment in those contests- tread very carefully-as boys may win a few grand in it!
4. this also means there is giant overcrowding of all public transport FROM BKK in the days leading up to 1/1, and reverse the days after. Plan accordingly.
5. there is a persistent belief among barboys/girls that 1/1 must be a very special day with 100 times more as usual customers. To start the happy new year.

Beachlover
October 19th, 2010, 18:52
Be sure to watch out for the "mandatory fees" being charged by many hotels
in Thailand on Christmas and New Years... :protest:

Outrageous add on fees for Dinner/Party for all registered guests,
regardless if you want to attend the dinner/party...you are charged the fees. :dontknow:

Do all guesthouses and hotels do this? I remember seeing it for most budget and mid-tiers, but does anyone know if the 5-star places do it as well?

I did a mock booking for the Dusit for 10 days over Xmas and NYE and there's no mention of it (rates are pretty good by the way): http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bang ... hotel.html (http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bangkok/dusit_thani_bangkok_hotel.html)

1.why people would fly long way to see another beach escapes me-the sand in Pattaya/Jomtien looks same-same as in Phuket. Phuket is really famous for money-gauging in general, and that would be double so in that super-high season time.
2.Xmas in BKK is hardly worth mentioning-mainly for shops and sales. In the street you would not even notice it. Is possibly (but dont know) different in PTY-decide yourself what you would like most.

Thanks for the heads up about NYE in Thailand.

1. I don't think Pattaya is the same as Phuket. Phuket has a much nicer beach in a beautiful, picturesque, protected bay surrounded by lush green hills. Jomtien and Pattaya are nothing like this. I'd much rather spend a few days on Patong Beach than Jomtien or Pattaya beach. But I agree the distance (getting there) and price gouging cartels in Phuket are deterrent. It's a shame, I heard Koh Samui is similar too. I wonder if Krabi is worth a visit.

2. Xmas is a Christian holiday (other than the end of year parties and social festivities, I find it pretty meaningless myself) so there shouldn't be much emphasis on it from the Thais.

Have any of you who don't believe in Christianity ever thought about this? You're probably all brought up with the habit of celebrating Christmas for the sake of it but when you think about it, it's not really a date with any real meaning unless you are a believer in Christianity. Same with Easter. I couldn't give two hoots.

gra46
October 20th, 2010, 18:33
I'm over for a couple of weeks covering Christmas and New Year. I'll be in Chiang Mai for most of the time, including Christmas, then maybe 3 or 4 days in Pattaya. Chiang Mai I'll mostly be touring round the area. I haven't given much thought to what I'll be doing New Year's Eve - that depends on what is going on.
I will be in CM new years eve
I have a friend in CM who will let me know what going on that night

Beachlover
October 21st, 2010, 08:31
I've heard a lot of Thais gather at a place called Tae Pae Gate in Chiang Mai to celebrate NYE. Here's a video of last year's celebrations (Pchy and August band performing) courtesy of Bob:

[youtube:1j3dl4zj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sSmdTm8Wr0[/youtube:1j3dl4zj]

danny99
October 24th, 2010, 15:02
RE those mandatory fees - yeah I'd heard about those previously - so are they "really" mandatory" or are they more just as even in Thailand they'll try it on until you politely say "no" and then they agree to remove it ( and catch you out some other way anyway ) so is it a foregone conclusion and no point even discussing it .

This is a standard practise for 5 star hotels throughout the world..if you want to stay there over either Christmas or New Year [Chinese New Year in some cities, as well as at ather unique festive times for that culture] then you pay for the dinner as well...or stay elsewhere].

In Bangkok who wants to stay in this category of hotel anyway?

danny99
October 24th, 2010, 15:14
The Balcony hosts a great Christmas Dinner, late afternoon for members [watch the greedy ones come and have their 5 free helpings then run away after maybe having just bought one drink] and any time in the evening for guests. I forget the price for non-members but very reasonable as there are always roast turkeys, ham generously sliced off the bone, hot mince pies withy brandy butter, etc, etc.