PDA

View Full Version : MULTIPLE FARANG DEATHS IN PHUKET

DamienZ
October 16th, 2010, 19:23
Forgive me....
I normally like to post on the high side, but this blog entry just seems to remind me of the last guy I dated down in Phuket. With all the nice-ness, sweetness and light, I could not help but feel there was something really dark and sinister to my beau. The poster forgot the mysterious "shower electrical short" some time last year. This all would make an incredible murder/mystery/thriller! Movie rights and all! Hmmm, but what would the title of the book/movie be called? :al:
Condolences to those family members left behind.

In the past two months there has been a rash of unsolved deaths of Farangs in Phuket. One Canadian man in Patong,shot multiple times in dispute over property, one British man living and working out of a shop house, head bashed in, near-by the Lotus Super Store By-pass road, poisoning of an American lady, a Norwegian lady and two other foreign persons on Kho Pi Pi island, and lastly one British lady found face down in the sand on Keron beach strangled to death.

None of these cases have been found to have any weight within the public news media in Thailand other than reports in the local Phuket Gazette, when it reports and then never follows up as is the norm here on the island. To date no person or persons have been found by local police and prosecuted for any of the alleged crimes/murders. Foreign Embassy Staff have registered their dismay along political circles, but as is common practice this leads to embarrassing faces all around.

The recent death of the American lady on Kho Pi Pi was said to have the body taken to Bangkok for a autopsy by local police, however it was later established that the body was subsequently cremated without an autopsy having been performed. It has been established that the Thai authorities did however provide slices of the deceased skin for further examination by the deceased family at their own cost back in America.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of pattern being established regarding expected follow-up by local and Bangkok police following foreigners deaths in the Kingdom Of Thailand? Is this a cover-up to save face for the future safety of foreign visitor's and tourists. It seems a backward way of doing so since all the foreign press are covering these as well as multiple other stories regarding life within Thailand.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/forum/viewto ... =21&t=1844 (http://www.bangkokpost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1844)

catawampuscat
October 16th, 2010, 22:01
I recall some statistics which show fairly high relative death rates for farangs in Pattaya..
A big part of that comes from the age and health conditions of many of the farangs(mostly hetero) as well as the psychological problems older farangs face when their hearts are broken or health issues make life unbearable.
Of course, there are no doubt instances when the farangs are 'helped' over the high rise balcony or given 'a shove' down the stairs to speed up the transference of wealth.

It happens everywhere in the world and the death rates rise in places where older men believe young
women or men love them for anything other than baht..(OK, also for gold, houses, motorbikes etal)
It is an example of the old adage about a fool and his money, except it can extend
further to one's existance... :glasses7:

Brad the Impala
October 17th, 2010, 01:44
Not much suggestion of love interest, poor health or inheritance issues being a factor in these deaths. About a year ago there were a spate of robberies from farang on motorbikes in Phuket and there were several separate deaths of tourists at one hotel on Phi Phi that were "being investigated", but nothing came of the investigations.

I think that there was a time when farangs had a privileged and respected position in Thailand. I think however that that respect has been eroded by the behaviour of the farang masses to the extent that farangs are seen by criminals as just another target, and probably a tastier one than the average thai, having fewer connections and therefore less comeback in the event of their demise.

catawampuscat
October 17th, 2010, 01:59
Not much suggestion of love interest, poor health or inheritance issues being a factor in these deaths. About a year ago there were a spate of robberies from farang on motorbikes in Phuket and there were several separate deaths of tourists at one hotel on Phi Phi that were "being investigated", but nothing came of the investigations.

I think that there was a time when farangs had a privileged and respected position in Thailand. I think however that that respect has been eroded by the behaviour of the farang masses to the extent that farangs are seen by criminals as just another target, and probably a tastier one than the average thai, having fewer connections and therefore less comeback in the event of their demise.

Brad is correct and the thread is about Phuket as a dangerous place for farangs.

October 17th, 2010, 18:24
No different to almost anywhere in the world - nothing to see here - please move along

Brad the Impala
October 18th, 2010, 02:48
No different to almost anywhere in the world - nothing to see here - please move along

In most countries in the world the murder of foreigners would be properly investigated, and on occasions perpetrators actually caught. The point is that this does not appear to happen in these cases, in fact it appears that publicity is minimized in order not to frighten the tourists. A bit like Jaws, but on a much much larger scale.

Beachlover
October 18th, 2010, 03:25
That's true, Brad. The government administration on Phuket is quite focused on protecting its tourism revenues at the cost of everything else. The problem is, they take a very short-sighted and reactive approach to it.

I would love it if Phuket had a regular songthaew system both along the two main Patong roads and linking the main beaches like Patong, Karon and others. Or at least a reasonably-priced tuk tuk or taxi system.

krobbie
October 19th, 2010, 02:27
I would love it if Phuket had a regular songthaew system both along the two main Patong roads and linking the main beaches like Patong, Karon and others. Or at least a reasonably-priced tuk tuk or taxi system.

I don't think the tuk tuk mafia would let the Phuket authorities get away with that. Actually it would be a bloody fantastic idea now you mention it. It is exactly what is needed in Patong. I wonder why not ...

October 19th, 2010, 04:21
I don't think the tuk tuk mafia would let the Phuket authorities get away with that. Actually it would be a bloody fantastic idea now you mention it. It is exactly what is needed in Patong. I wonder why not ...

For that very same reason that you have already mentioned krobbie "the tuk tuk Mafia" Many good projects throughout Thailand have been shelved not because of lack of money or foresight but because of other (dark forces) vested interests.

Dboy
October 19th, 2010, 07:20
In most countries in the world the murder of foreigners would be properly investigated, and on occasions perpetrators actually caught. The point is that this does not appear to happen in these cases, in fact it appears that publicity is minimized in order not to frighten the tourists. A bit like Jaws, but on a much much larger scale.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the non-investigations phenomenon is not limited to foreigners:

тАЬSomchai Hom-laor, [a Truth for Reconciliation Commission] panel member, said he was told by the Department of Special Investigation that the autopsy results of the 89 people killed during the clashes in Bangkok were unlikely to establish how the killings took place and who was responsible for them. Several pieces of evidence, such as bullet shells, had disappeared from clash sites, he said.тАЭ (source: Bangkok Post)

Not really a surprise announcement.

dboy

Beachlover
October 19th, 2010, 12:18
I know and I agree. The longer this mafia is allowed to run things, the further things stray from what is "ideal" to what "clearly doesn't make sense". The corruption becomes more and more and more obvious. Hopefully at some stage it will become TOO obvious and be corrected. But I don't think it's going to happen without a lot of conflict.

For that very same reason that you have already mentioned krobbie "the tuk tuk Mafia" Many good projects throughout Thailand have been shelved not because of lack of money or foresight but because of other (dark forces) vested interests.
Absolutely... that's one of the definitions of corruption isn't it? Decisions made for personal gain of a few at the detriment of the greater community.