PDA

View Full Version : Trip Ideas for things to do in BKK

adman5000
October 15th, 2010, 11:13
I am planning my next trip and trying to find some different things to do and see while I am in BKK. I have been visiting Thailand 1-2 times each year for the past 5+ years so I have done quite a variety previously, but there are still many popular things I haven't done. My brain can't take going to a go-go bar or massage venue every waking moment. :bot:

What is your favorite musical venue in BKK? Does anyone have any current suggestions?
What is your favorite park or scenic area?
What was your most enjoyable recent meal experience in BKK?
If you were writing your own gay guide for BKK, what would the top 5 must-do's be?
What is your favorite day trip outside BKK?

I would appreciate your suggestions and experiences.

-

Beachlover
October 15th, 2010, 12:14
I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions for things to do in Bangkok too...

In mean the meantime, these are mine. I have not done all of these (so no guarantees), but the ones I haven't done are on my list to do...

During the day:

- Go for a walk around Chinatown - lots of great little markets, shops and eateries there.

- Visit Chatuchak Market. World's biggest weekend market. Saturday/Sunday. Better to go there early in the day but it is fine later in the day too (just hotter). You can spend hours walking around. Stuff is also the cheapest here too. For example, while you might pay 180 baht for underwear at the Patpong Night market, here they can be bargained down to 100 baht (rough comparison from memory).

- Visit one of the Floating Markets (have to be up early for this).

- Go for a walk or run in Lumpini Park. Or just laze around there beside one of the lakes. I was sick with a stomach/gastro bug once and was staying in a crappy room at the time so instead of resting in my hotel I went to the park and laid on the grass all day until I got better. Really nice spot.

- Check out Gaysorn Shopping Mall (spelling?). It's near Central World Plaza. It's a high end retail mall and quite spectacular. Worth a walk around even if you don't buy anything. But you might end up buying a few items as they have many brands you would see back home at ordinary prices like Lacoste etc.

- Check out MBK mall... it is huge and very messy.

- Check out Siam Square and all the malls and stuff around there. It's the bustling centre of Bangkok.

- Feast on the breakfast buffet at the Dusit Thani or Le Meridien Hotels. Both pride themselves on their breakfast spreads. I think they're somewhere around the 600-800 baht/person range. But well worth it. Or go higher and have breakfast at the Mandarin Oriental overlooking the river. I've heard this is spectacular.

- Eat lots of street food... I love Bangkok for its streetfood On days where I'm working out of my hotel, there's nothing like ducking downstairs every couple of hours to grab a delicious skewer of meat or a bag of jack fruit to munch on.

- Take a Thai cooking class...

- Have lunch or dinner at one of the Scoozi Pizza restaurants (there are a few of them, one on Surawong Rd in Silom, a few blocks West of Le Meriden, same side of the road). The pizzas and desserts there are to notch and absolutely delicious. http://www.scoozipizza.com/

At night:

- Obviously, go to DJ Station

- Check out some of the famous straight nightclubs like Bed Supper Club

- There's also another straight club (plenty of gays there too). I can't quite remember the name. It opens very late, until 5 or 6am. Thai style (dancing at tables). It's in a huuuge hall and seems to get packed with over 1,000 people. There are pillars inside and each pillar has a little elevated dancing platform running around it. Had a few crazy nights there. Anyone remember the name of this place?

- Have a drink at the rooftop bar (70+ floors high) at the Lebua State Tower at Sunset. Highly recommend everyone do this at least once. It's probably the most spectacular spot in Bangkok. It opens at 6pm but there is a bar next to it, which opens at 4pm so don't be afraid to arrive early. It's one of the most spectacular bars I've ever been to. Drinks are at Western prices. Martinis are 400-500 baht but very well made and still less than I pay back home. (Dress code applies). Wine is 400-500/glass too.

- Vertigo Bar at the Banyan Tree Hotel is meant to be taller than the Lebua but I don't think it's as spectacular. Felt more crowded too.

- Watch a Thai Kickboxing match at National Stadium in Lumpini.

- See the show at Boys Bangkok in Soi Twilight

- Have dinner at one of the riverside restaurants a the Shangri La or Mandarin Oriental... romantic.

- Have dinner at the Suan Lum Nightmarket at Lumpini. There's a great big food hall with a stage where cover bands of varying talent play. Food stands on one side. Beer stands on the other. Cheap but good food. And walk around the market too, obviously.

- Take a dinner cruise on the river

- Have dinner at this huge restaurant: http://www.royal-dragon.com/aboutus.htm - Haven't tried it yet but it looks pretty cool. The staff bring the dishes out by rollerblading, "walking on water" or flying through the air (attached to wires). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZucdpkOyis ... The food is meant to be ok/normal... but looks like a good experience.

- Try and get some sleep. I hardly sleep at all when I'm in Bangkok. On my last trip I was there for over a week and think I had less then 3-4 hrs of sleep each night. Yet I feel more awake than ever in that city...

Might think of more later... Hungry now.

pong
October 15th, 2010, 19:15
for just some general tips-read the well known sites like tripadvisor, or those old-fashioned things, named guidebooks, or this site: bangkok-daytrips.com. it is one of a big family of Thai-related websites, under the general name of PakNam forums (that is where author lives), they all link into one another.
If you can give at least some hints what you might like or dislike, a more personal advice could possible be given.
And yes-if so, also tell, if you are the luxury animal who would not dream of using buses/trains, or if the BF needs to tug along, or whatever it may influence.
More aimed at gay people might be some of the blogs in ricequeendiary.com.

adman5000
October 16th, 2010, 04:09
Beachlover- Thanks for your input. I have done some of the things you suggest, and will try some of the ones I have not.

Pong- Most guidebooks are outdated by the time they are published. I am certainly familiar with TripAdvisor but normally don't find much interesting there for Bangkok. But I will look again at Lonely Planet as I find their information to be more comprehensive. Thanks for the tip on Bangkok day trips but it is pretty limited.
My goal was to get some input of things which the readers here have done and especially enjoyed. I was not limiting myself to my likes or dislikes. When I go to Thailand, I have a headset of "try everything". I am willing to take various means of transport as I find that interesting and the best way to see how the people there live. Sometimes when A Thai friend asks me what I want to do, I tell them, take me to do something you and your friends would do. Sometimes I am bored as hell and sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. I prefer things which are culturally interesting, typical tourist things are lower down on my list.

DamienZ
October 16th, 2010, 15:10
Let's hope Khun Bao-Bao weighs in on this one as well.

Personally,
I still have quite a bit to do and see in BKK as I'm pretty much still a newcomer comparatively and only stay for a max of 4 days at a stretch in transit to other destinations. But It's funny how even after a little while you get into a groove with your likes and dislikes. Habitation is an amazing and frightening thing. I hope to mix it up a bit more in between bouts of political unrest. Here goes.

1. Wat Po Massage-Oh Man! The original, the one and only! I can easily spend several hours there in the temple, lose myself in the fantastic bliss of massage (foot, body, face), and of course the home to the famous Reclining Buddha. There are stores selling cures and herb tonics just outside across the street, along with all manner of interesting curios Thai. Note Well: purchase and consume the Thai herbal remedies with extreme reserve and caution! I attempted an herbal OTC tonic there and was trippin' my f*ck'n nuts off for three days!! Seriously! :tongue3:

2. Soi Pollo Fried Chicken-giving away my hide out but this stuff is addictive with the fried garlic on top of the chicken. Nice morning glory, assorted Som Tam-just to name a few things on the menu. It's a little hole in the wall but the locals love the place. Great Issan Food

3. Siam Paragon-yes, I am a spoiled westerner and love shopping, eating, and hanging out there. The movies upstairs have nice comfy seats, and tri-flavored popcorn (sweet, cheese, and some other flavor I cant recall now). Eating Hagan Daaz ice cream in BKK is a gourmet experience!!! :hello1:

4. Water Taxi Ride-BTS Skytrain Silom Line to Saphan Taksin and hop on the cheap 30THB river taxi. It is a really nice ride during a hot day and you pass all the sights on the way to Chinatown, Wat Po, or further up the river.

5.Chinatown-At night and Texas for BBQ and hot pot (Texas Restaurant, 305 Soi Texas). Great food for starters and it's just the openers for the Chinatown eating experience. I prefer Chinatown at night for the lights and excitement!

6. Babylon-Need I say more?

7. Silom Street Food-How could I forget this? I live for this stuff! The soup! The noodles! The fried chicken! :notworthy: This is one thing I always do when in BKK. Just start at Silom Soi 4 and walk towards Chong Nansi under the Skytrain..oh man!!! There are numerous locations as you know all over BKK after 6pm, I fancy this one.

So just take what you like for suggestions and leave the rest. Have a great and safe time-I love BKK now more than when I first visited and look forward to seeing and doing so much more there.
:thumbleft:
DZ

Beachlover
October 16th, 2010, 18:54
Cool... checking out Wat Po Massage is a good idea.

October 16th, 2010, 21:47
:bot: :bot: :bot: :bot: :bot: :bot: :bot: :bot: :bot: :bot: :bot:

The Tilleke & Gibbins Textile Collection

тАЬIn 1989, old ethnic textiles were brought to the new Tilleke & Gibbins Building in Bangkok, Thailand for decorative purposes. Little then did our law firm realize the significance of this initiative--the creation of a new awareness of local hand-woven textiles as an important art form. Soon after, the firm decided to seriously collect and preserve textiles from the region with the objective of assembling a museum-quality collection.

The Tilleke & Gibbins mainland Southeast Asian Textile Collection is composed of both typical and rare textiles principally of the Tai, an ethnolinguistic group found in regions of Thailand, Laos, northern Vietnam, southern China and Myanmar (Burma). The collection also includes pieces made by Khmer, Burmese, Naga, Indonesian, and Chin ethnic groups, Vietnamese ethnic minorities, and various hill tribes. Today, the collection consists of over 1,650 pieces, which are displayed in our offices on rotation.

While each and every piece in the collection has been selected for its high quality of design and execution of craft, there are a number of textiles of exceptional quality and some pieces that are unique examples of their kind. For instance, the pha piao (head cloths) of the Tai produced during the early twentieth century are especially noteworthy, including one extremely rare silk base indigo cloth. Several Cambodian sampot hol (ikat hip wrappers) and Cambodian pidan (ikat wall hangings) are examples of a very high quality weft ikat that is no longer produced.

The collection is looked after by an in-house curator and a textile consultant. Great care is taken in the handling and displaying of the textiles. To prevent deterioration of the textiles caused by the harmful effects of light, ultraviolet filters have been placed over the office light bulbs. Archival materials are used in storing the textiles.тАЬ

http://www.tillekeandgibbins.com/images/EBangkok_map.jpg

http://www.tillekeandgibbins.com/textil ... ection.htm (http://www.tillekeandgibbins.com/textile/textile_collection.htm)

One of the best places in Thailand for the serious textile lover. Preparation: Read at least one book about Tai textiles and don't forget your photo ID. Dress code: Law firm. Then talk to a curator. By appointment only:

Wipawee Tiyawes, Textile Curator wipawee.t (AT) tillekeandgibbins.com
Dr. Linda Susan McIntosh, Consulting Curator linda.m (AT) tillekeandgibbins.com

Lao - Tai Textiles: The Textiles of Xam Nuea and Muang Phuan. Patricia Cheesman. Chaing Mai, 2004. 297 pages, profusely illustrated, mostly with color plates. This book, published by Ms. Cheesman's Studio Naenna, is the result of her 30 years of field work in Laos and Thailand. It is an exhaustive study of the costume and household textiles from two provinces in northeast Laos. It covers their history, use, weaving techniques, dyes, and symbolism. http://www.marlamallett.com/lao-books.htm

'Orchid Books' is conveniently open every day from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and located in the Silom Complex, accessible directly from the BTS transit system's Saladaeng Station (Shops 410 and 411, 4th Floor, Silom Complex, 191 Silom Road, Bangkok ) http://www.orchidbooks.com/our_bookshop.html

bao-bao
October 19th, 2010, 11:57
Let's hope Khun Bao-Bao weighs in on this one as well.
Tastes vary, but there are a few things I've gone back to more than once, and maybe you'd enjoy them, too. Of course, sometimes having a Thai with you makes getting to and from simpler, and if you're lucky you'll get to experience bus rides and things a "standard" tourist would miss - and other than the museum most are things my Thai friends have enjoyed, too. Here are the first few that come to mind:

1) Smiles posted once about the Bangkok Art and Culture Center, and I've been to it a few times now. It's just across the intersection from the MBK mall at the National Stadium BTS stop, so it's easy to get to. It's free, the shows are always interesting and it's cool inside. A perfect break at mid-day.

2) Later in the afternoon I enjoy watching the guys playing takraw at Benjasiri Park, next to the Emporium at the Phrom Pong BTS stop. The gardens themselves are relaxing and there are plenty of spots to sit and people watch. If you're unfamiliar with takraw there's a clip on the post here: http://khunbaobao.blogspot.com/2010/05/ ... -feet.html (http://khunbaobao.blogspot.com/2010/05/takraw-volleyball-for-feet.html)

3) Grab a taxi or bus out to the Crocodile farm in Samut Prakan - the largest in the country. You could easily spend a day there seeing the shows and wandering around. Elephant rides are available, too, if that blows your dress up. A basic Google will get you plenty of details. FAR more Thai than farang there... just the way I like it!

4) The Dusit Zoo is within easy reach, and has some interesting specimens on exhibit - on both sides of the bars. :rolling: It's an easy taxi ride if you avoid commute hours.

5) Chatuchak/Jatujak weekend market has a large, indoor and air conditioned area that's open every day. You can take the BTS or he MRT. There's also a large farmer's market there that I've heard of but so far haven't explored. I've done several posts about the market out there and am working on another couple of installments.

6) In the evening check the rooftop sky bar at the Le Bua down Silom. No shorts allowed, but it's not far from other night areas and is worth nursing a $10 soda just for the view. I did a post about this, too.

7) The observation tower atop Baiyoke Tower gives you a fantastic 360 degree view of the city, and the lunch buffet is both affordable and generous in its selection of items - with the view, to boot. Time this to be out of the area by evening commute time, unless you plan to walk it.

There are many, many interesting things to do in Bangkok - morning, afternoon or evening. You just have to be willing to look.

Beachlover
October 19th, 2010, 12:29
5) Chatuchak/Jatujak weekend market has a large, indoor and air conditioned area that's open every day.

There is? Damn it. I've never found this air conditioned oasis...

The park beside Chatuchak is worth a walk around too. Lots of Thais lulling about chilling out. This is also where "Silom Farang" who used to run the GayBoyThailand blog met his now long-time boyfriend randomly one day (some trivia).

Brad the Impala
October 19th, 2010, 13:27
Visit the charming House Cinema at RCA, home to indie and art house movies.

http://houserama.exteen.com/

DamienZ
October 19th, 2010, 15:24
Hmmm,
No one mentioned the Palace or those really adorable boys in white guarding said establishment! I mean the contrast of that beautiful warm brown skin against those crisp white uniforms-luuv a Thai man in uniform :love4: . One of the few times I can appreciate the remnants of colonialism! LOL! Cool thread so far which for all appearances has stayed "North" so I will volunteer to take it "Downtown!", meaning no one has mentioned picking up Thai military men or college students after they get off work. I know there were whole threads dedicated to these topics flying around a couple of years ago complete with maps and arrows!
A sub-catagory of things to do while in BKK :idea: (Oogleman right?)

I have to try the brunch atop Boykakke Tower and bring my camera! Anyone know if you can have dinner there? The Bangkok skyline at night is breathtaking. My places to visit list far outweighs my done list. Koh Kret is a great local get away which is a must.

Thanks Bao-Bao for the suggestions! So when is your publication being released for sale? I hear E-Books are by far the better way to generate more massive-passive income. Look out Lonely Planet and Sparticus!

DZ

bao-bao
October 19th, 2010, 21:00
Hmmm,
No one mentioned the Palace or those really adorable boys in white guarding said establishment! I mean the contrast of that beautiful warm brown skin against those crisp white uniforms-luuv a Thai man in uniform
They can be quite han-sahm, I agree - and some can be small enough in stature to tempt you to tuck one into a carry-on bag and take them home. It irks me to see tourists behaving more like monkeys around them while taking photos, though. I didn't mention the palace or Wat Po as they're fairly well known - much more so than the giant swing, the solid gold Buddha and the golden mount (Wat Saket).

Baiyoke has several places to eat up top; the seafood buffet being the more expensive, I think - maybe someone will correct me on that. Your (Bt100?) ticket up the elevator is included in your meal price. Not a bad idea to make a reservation on the weekends, though, as it's unfortunately also a spot for busloads of tourists. Get there before the traffic hits in the afternoon, wander the touristy photo-op spots, souvenir and gem shops (if you must) and observation deck, then watch the sun go down from your dinner table. Be advised that one night when it was raining the streets around it were in total gridlock.

...And speaking of dark-skinned palace guards in crisp white uniforms:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z56/khunbaobao/GrandPalaceGuard1.jpg

adman5000
October 19th, 2010, 22:54
Thank you for all the different ideas.

Here is a sampling of some things I have done over various visits and really enjoyed:

Tawandang Brew House- I enjoy taking friends here for a dinner and show. I think it is good value, service, and entertainment.

National Museum - near Sanam Luang - getting a dose of Thai history.

Rama V Teak House - reading about some of the Royal Thai Family history, seeing the large gold teakwood home, and the grounds.

The Seafood Company - expensive by Thai standards, but I loved taking some Thai friends, filling the shopping cart with seafood of our choice, and watching the chefs prepare it.

Siam Paragon Mall - a great place for a walk inside on a hot day, good selection of English movies and easy to walk next door to Central World. Many interesting foods in the basement food center. I am sure most everyone has visited here.

Phra Nakhon Khiri (Khao Wang - Phetchaburi) - King MongkutтАЩs 1860 mountaintop home - a very interesting day trip outside Bangkok with a lot of history. It can also be a stop on the way to/from Hua Hin.

I also found some ideas at http://www.bangkok.com

October 20th, 2010, 00:32
Jim Thompson House - his actual house - not the commercial enterprise is well worth a visit.
http://www.jimthompsonhouse.com/

October 20th, 2010, 04:57

http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/50488-large.jpg
Jar and cover, China / Thailand, about 18th Century. Porcelain (Bencharong or Benjarong) and
enamel colours. Height 24 cm, diameter 18.5 cm. Victoria and Albert Museum, London

Dawn F. Rooney: тАЬBENCHARONG is a unique type of enameled porcelain made exclusively for Siamese royalty of the Chakri Dynasty, between the late 18th and early 20th centuries. The simple forms juxtapose with complex Thai designs painted in bright enamels against an intricate background of tropical flowers and geometrics. The brilliant colors, variety of motifs, and kaleidoscopic compositions are dazzling.

This ware is rarely seen outside of Thailand and it is hardly ever on public view. The Jim Thompson Museum Collection of Bencharong, however, crosses both of these barriers.

Many resplendent pieces from the collection can be seen in the lustrous teakwood Jim Thompson House in Bangkok where they mingle gracefully with the other Asian artifacts.тАЭ

Asian Art Forums: http://asianart.com/phpforum/index.php
The Gotheborg.com discussion board is a collector's community ($25/year)

Links: http://gotheborg.com/links/links-index.htm
Links of the Southeast Asian Ceramic Society:
http://www.seaceramic.org.sg/links.html

Dawn F. Rooney, PhD, is an independent scholar and an art historian specializing in Southeast Asia. She is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and the Royal Asiatic Society in London, an advisor to the Society for Asian Art at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco, and co-chairperson of the James H.W. Thompson Foundation Advisory Board, Bangkok, and the Thailand representative for the International Map CollectorsтАЩ Society.

Bencharong in the Jim Thompson Museum Collection
Introduction and photos: http://rooneyarchive.net/ceramics/intro-bencharong.html

http://ic2.pbase.com/o6/09/268309/1/94723959.q1zAx5Th.22receptionrm1O308.jpg
Reception room, Kukrit House. Many more photos: http://www.pbase.com/johnglines/kukrit

тАЬOfficially called тАЬKukrit Heritage HomeтАЭ, Kukrit House is an outstanding example of Thai architecture. The living quarters are composed of five separate one-room teak houses, connected by an open veranda, with an open ground floor underneath. A short distance away is a large reception hall for public functions which is connected to the living quarters with a walled-in garden. All the buildings are authentic traditional Thai houses, some over 100 years old. M. R. Kukrit Pramoj (1911-1995) was a man of many talents. The 13th Prime Minster of Thailand, he was also a banker, soldier, journalist, novelist, poet, professor, actor, dancer, radio and TV personality, and a leading authority on Thai culture, particularly classical dance drama (Khon).тАЭ

тАЬStanding in 2 acres (8,100 m2) of land, surrounded by landscaped gardens, the house is a similar concept to the Jim Thompson House in Bangkok. Five small traditional Thai houses were dismantled and reassembled at the present site to make one house. The house is filled with artefacts and books collected by the owner. тАЬ

M.R. KUKRIT'S HERITAGE HOME: http://www.kukritshousefund.com/
19 Soi Prapinit, South Sathorn, Thungmahamek, Sathorn, Bangkok. Skytrain: Chong Nonsi

http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/thai_ar ... _home.html (http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/thai_article/2021_kukrit's_home/kukrits's_home.html)

[youtube:18ez9kly]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLheITZ4_eE[/youtube:18ez9kly]

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3378/3474292552_700eab4685_o.jpg
More about Kukrit Pramoj: http://www.answers.com/topic/kukrit-pramoj