PDA

View Full Version : How do Thais know when it's going to rain?

cdnmatt
October 12th, 2010, 22:36
Have you ever wondered that? Thais seem to have an innate 6th sense as to when it's going to rain, don't they? I don't think Kim has been wrong a single time yet. I like to work outside on the patio, and many times we'll have a conversation like:

Kim: Ohhh, it's going to rain.

Me: Yep, maybe.

Kim: No, it's going to rain. You should go inside.

Me: Up to me. Don't worry, if it starts raining, I'll go inside.

Kim: No! Go inside now! I don't want computer you broken!

Me: Oh, for fuck sakes Kim. Fine, I'll go inside. Happy now?

Then sure enough, within 10 - 20 mins it starts pissing down rain. Go figure, eh? Ever notice that? They seem to be able to tell when it's going to rain every single time. Or for example, you'll be at a bar or restaurant, and all of a sudden everyone will start scuttling around, putting chairs & tables away, or whatever. All of a sudden, 10 - 20 mins later, it's pouring out.

How the hell do they do that?

October 12th, 2010, 23:39
They can smell it Matt. Haven't you noticed that Thai's have this acute sense of smell in fact they smell things that don't even have a smell if you get my meaning. Where else in the world do you see people pick things up and sniff them, they do it all of the time in Supermarkets etc?

catawampuscat
October 13th, 2010, 00:18
At the beach concessions in Jomtien, the staff start closing the umbrellas and picking up the
toilet paper (napkins?) containers before the rain starts..
They have the advantadge of seeing the darkening clouds and have the experience to know which way the winds are moving and how much time they have to secure their gear..
They are not always right but have a good sense of the rain.
Some concessions wait and some act more quickly, just like some farang customers
pack up and move and others wait, sometimes too long...... :bounce:

October 13th, 2010, 04:55
They can smell it Matt. Haven't you noticed that Thai's have this acute sense of smell in fact they smell things that don't even have a smell if you get my meaning. Where else in the world do you see people pick things up and sniff them, they do it all of the time in Supermarkets etc?

Even a new punter gets sniffed - you must have noticed.

And no, it's NOT just me.

:rolling:

mahjongguy
October 13th, 2010, 07:37
I don't think Kim has been wrong a single time yet.

Kim obviously has a talent for it, but it's not innate. It's something he's learned.

My b/f grew up on a rice farm in Isaan but he's no better at predicting rain than I am. Worse, actually.

A sense of smell might be useful but I'd say that sensitive skin is better. As soon as I feel a tiny drop in temperature I run for cover.

Smiles
October 13th, 2010, 12:27
" ... Where else in the world do you see people pick things up and sniff them ... "
My guy sniffs his underwear to make sure they're wearable again after a few hours. Then he hands them over to me for a second opinion.
He sniffs mine as well, if asked. He's excellent with arm pits as well as our home's human barometer.

Beachlover
October 13th, 2010, 20:12
I'm not always spot on, but if a big downpour is coming, you can usually feel the air get heavy, feel the air pressure change and see clouds forming low.

October 14th, 2010, 08:25
" ... Where else in the world do you see people pick things up and sniff them ... "
My guy sniffs his underwear to make sure they're wearable again after a few hours. Then he hands them over to me for a second opinion.
He sniffs mine as well, if asked. He's excellent with arm pits as well as our home's human barometer.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Does he stick his nose up your arse and piss on trees as well?

Smiles
October 14th, 2010, 09:10
" ... I'm not always spot on ... "
Noooooo. You? :glasses7:

Beachlover
October 14th, 2010, 15:17

Grumpy arsehole any?

October 14th, 2010, 16:23

Grumpy arsehole any?

haemorrhoids?

:dontknow:

cdnmatt
October 16th, 2010, 09:12
I'm not always spot on, but if a big downpour is coming, you can usually feel the air get heavy, feel the air pressure change and see clouds forming low.

Yeah, that's probably what it is, eh? When you grow up on a rice farm, you probably become acutely aware of changes in air temperature, pressure, humidity, etc...

Noooooo. You?

Are you this much of a dick in real life too? Let me go find one of your threads. Minute!

October 16th, 2010, 17:27
Noooooo. You?

Are you this much of a dick in real life too? Let me go find one of your threads. Minute!

Re-arrange these words to form a popular saying:

the calling black The pot kettle.

:laughing3: :laughing3:

Wesley
October 22nd, 2010, 01:38
thought about checking the weather man?