PDA

View Full Version : Old Amor Street Life now open, Photo and menu

lonelywombat
October 7th, 2010, 07:40
Not due to open until last tuesday ,Richard has been trading for 3 days now and seems to be getting good support. My American friends are making good noises about the quality of the food which is only deli ATM no hot food. Bagels, corn beef and pastrami sandwiches, with pickle and coleslaw ,eat in or take out.

Last time I was in New York I could not believe the size of the corned beef sandwiches, I wonder if they will be the same size. if so there will be even more fat expats waddling Pattaya streets. At least there will be no french fries for a while.

Hope to have a longer report from my newly arrived NY friend, in a few days.

Narakmak
October 7th, 2010, 12:40
Not a chance they are the same size as Katz's deli, etc.
If they are actually offering real bagels (as opposed to Au Bon Pain, bagel shaped bread, not real) they will definitely have a good market.

October 7th, 2010, 19:16
Are they catering to the Jewish faygala market?

Is Richard changing his name to Myrtle?

What day is the brisket going to be available?

Are they having cabaret from Moshe & Irving?

Oi it's so humid!

:bee:

Brad the Impala
October 7th, 2010, 21:43
Last time I was in New York I could not believe the size of the corned beef sandwiches,

To Brits, "corned beef" is something you get out of a can and was used as army rations for most of the last century. What you are referring to Brits know as "salt beef", which I would be happy to have in a sandwich, but not corned beef....................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned_beef

Narakmak
October 7th, 2010, 21:51

Oi it's so humid!

In the US anyway, all kinds of people eat bagels so there they are as Jewish as pizza is Italian.

lonelywombat
October 8th, 2010, 03:42
Here is a photo of the interior . I was surprised to see all the paintings on the walls. I had forgotten Richard saying it was to be an art gallery as well. The dining layout is more restaurant style than cafe and looks elegant. Time will tell.
My friend from NY tried the pastrami, but said he would reserve judgement until the hot meal service starts in a few days time.

[attachment=0:29msk1ct]BK2010-0008_resize.jpg[/attachment:29msk1ct]

When I was in New York I lunched at Juniors just off Times Square, the cold corned beef sandwiches were sliced beef between 2 pieces of toast, over 6 inches tall enough meat for a family of four with large serve french fries and salad. Could not get half way through it.

Brad.Actually I am quite a fan of corned beef served hot with boiled veg and mustard sauce.

Narakmak
October 8th, 2010, 08:33
Wine bar with deli foods? Weird.

DCbob
October 8th, 2010, 09:35
You are not going to get me to say that.
I must admit that I have not eaten in every delicatessen in the world, so I cannot say what is weird to all places.

krobbie
October 8th, 2010, 10:42
To Brits, "corned beef" is something you get out of a can and was used as army rations for most of the last century. What you are referring to Brits know as "salt beef", which I would be happy to have in a sandwich, but not corned beef....................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned_beef

There is indeed some camnned meats called corned beef but is a far cry from a proper piece of silver-side beef or corned beef done the way I do it.

I am with Lonely on this one and there's nothing better than sliced silver-side/corned beef with a mustard sauce, carrots and chopped cabbage saut├йd in butter, with boiled new potatoes. Delicious.

As far as these sandwiches are concerned we shall await a post from someone who has had one and wishes to comment. I'd have one with a glass of wine but I'll have almost anything with a glass Sauvignon Blanc (from New Zealand of course).

Narakmak
October 8th, 2010, 16:03
Well I am specifically talking about corned beef, rye bread, and mustard kinds of deli food. Really, wine doesn't go with that type of meal, it just doesn't.,, and if you go to Katz's NYC you won't be seeing people having wine with that. However, it depends, for example a sauvaignon blanc does go very well with a traditional lox, bagel, cream cheese .

October 8th, 2010, 20:43
Well I am specifically talking about corned beef, rye bread, and mustard kinds of deli food. Really, wine doesn't go with that type of meal, it just doesn't.,, and if you go to Katz's NYC you won't be seeing people having wine with that. However, it depends, for example a sauvaignon blanc does go very well with a traditional lox, bagel, cream cheese .

Do you drag up as Fanny Craddock?

:occasion9:

October 8th, 2010, 22:07

Oi it's so humid!

Bit harsh Scottish Guy, why don't you get back to what you supposedly know, your once a week dated drag impersonations of Shirley Bassey cum Barbara Castle

allieb
October 8th, 2010, 22:18

Do you drag up as Fanny Craddock?

Would be quite easy for most of the posters here to do

rincondog
October 9th, 2010, 00:25
Does he serve creme soda?

October 9th, 2010, 00:41
Bit harsh Scottish Guy, why don't you get back to what you supposedly know, your once a week dated drag impersonations of Shirley Bassey cum Barbara Castle

That's even harsher! I have never appeared as Shirley Bassey - I think you have me mixed up with some less talented person.

PS Shirley Bassey is black and Barbara Castle was white - so how would that work?

:dontknow:

witchhunt
October 11th, 2010, 06:49

I could not be bothered posting to narakmak first post as I believe it is the personal taste that decides what to drink and when.
However I agreed with his second and with krobbie. I am very fond of a good white wine usually Sauvignon Blanc and from OZ or NZ. Where I choose to drink that is my choice not NY conventions.

The last two posts on baht-stop on this subject of wine in a deli. I am starting to get hungry.

quote name='tdperhs'']
Tell it to the French. They do it all the time. Sandwiche jambon et vin rouge (deux verres). I love it, especially with a crusty baguette. My cardiologist would approve, so long as the jambon is nicely trimmed. And he's Jewish.
[/quote]

what about a baguette with a chorizo sausage ,topped with french fries and a nice bottle of Rose D'anjou ?

francois
October 11th, 2010, 07:05

Mistergaylordfucker made the same type of comment on BahtStop.
"Sandwiches with wine?" "I think is is a wrong concept".

witchhunt
October 11th, 2010, 07:12

I did not think his post worthy of mention. But now we have a frenchman reply, what do you think?

francois
October 11th, 2010, 10:30

I did not think his post worthy of mention. But now we have a frenchman reply, what do you think?

I say stop whining and start drinking. But not sure which is worse, beer or wine, in Thailand?

October 11th, 2010, 16:08
I always imagine Francois typing in a Maurice Chevalier accent.

And I think he ought to preface his contributions with "Leesten veree kerfullee - I will seh thees only wance..."

Narakmak
October 11th, 2010, 16:24
Fanny Craddock looks like good fun. Thanks for that.

October 11th, 2010, 17:48
Fanny Craddock looks like good fun. Thanks for that.

Oh, but Johnnie was much more fun than Fanny.

You just don't get enough guys wearing monocles these days (except in the Corner Bar of course).

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_01/cradock2BBC0710_468x547.jpg

lonelywombat
October 12th, 2010, 06:48

I say stop whining and start drinking. But not sure which is worse, beer or wine, in Thailand?

thanks for the person that sent me the website which includes details of the deli menu, the top shelf and the extensive wine list.
http://www.streetlife-pattaya.com/

francois
October 12th, 2010, 07:58

And I think he ought to preface his contributions with "Leesten veree kerfullee - I will seh thees only wance..."

Maurice Chevalier? I ken fit ye mean the famous Scot actor, Morris McKnight? The French dinna have a brogue juist a wee frog in their thrrroats. A'm sure ye kin, pett? A've been larnin Scots ae month; whit ye think?

Narakmak
October 12th, 2010, 14:00
Menu suggestion. They ought to offer SOUPS. Specifically MATZOH BALL. A bowl of that with a 1/2 pastrami on rye would be divine.

October 12th, 2010, 16:01
Menu suggestion. They ought to offer SOUPS. Specifically MATZOH BALL. A bowl of that with a 1/2 pastrami on rye would be divine.

Don't forget the gefilte fish and the brisket!

Will one have to wear a Kippah to get in?

Oy Gevalt!

Narakmak
October 13th, 2010, 00:03
OK, it depends, a French baguette style sandwich, wine great.
Pastrami on rye with deli mustard, not really. Really, not.

October 13th, 2010, 17:00

thanks for the person that sent me the website which includes details of the deli menu, the top shelf and the extensive wine list.
http://www.streetlife-pattaya.com/

That link does not open for me are you sure it is right??????
Is the menu to big to ask for you to post here.
Tahnks so much.

witchhunt
October 14th, 2010, 18:49
I dont have time ATM to upload the menu. Hopefully someone will do that for you, before I get home.

blueboy
October 14th, 2010, 20:59
Wine list OK, sandwich menu not interesting, but really would you like to go anywhere with Richard as your host, and having hand-made your sandwiches. I couldn't think of anything more disgusting. At least in the past he used to do have chicken, fish , beef and al with the same 59 different frozen sauces.
and time he got a new shirt or two!

Narakmak
October 14th, 2010, 22:36
The idea of a pastrami on rye sandwich may not be "interesting" as it is hardly a novel idea in the world but it may also be delicious. Any reviews yet?

Beachlover
October 15th, 2010, 04:11
I dont have time ATM to upload the menu. Hopefully someone will do that for you, before I get home.

The link works fine and he doesn't really need you to upload the menu... just trolling, I think.

lonelywombat
October 19th, 2010, 07:19
Richard the owner of Amor now Street Life posted this to gaybuttonthai.com a few days ago.
-------------------------------------------
cut and paste.

Here is what I posted on Thai Visa the other day. I'm posting it here as many of the same questions have come up on this thread:

Just to clarify a few of the points that have been raised on this thread:

We are not a New York or Jewish Deli and have never said that we are. We offer a delicatessen pure and simple. We do offer some of the things that you would find in a N.Y Deli such as corned beef, pastrami, bagels, coleslaw, potato salad and chopped liver. In addition we have both honey and smoked ham (guaranteed not to be kosher), both roasted and smoked turkey breast, not the turkey roll but the real breast imported from the US and roasted or smoked here. Being in Thailand it is not easy to find some of the ingredients readily available in the US but we have tried to come as close as we can to the originals.

We also offer a wide selection of imported Italian cold cuts and French, Italian, Dutch, Swiss and English cheeses. All our Deli products are available to take home, just like in the supermarkets.

Our Corned Beef and Pastrami Sandwiches are 200g. of meat (about 8 ounces) with a half sandwich available of 100g. (about 4 ounces). The other deli sandwiches are 150 g. of meat. The Imported Italian dried cold cuts a bit less.
As soon as our hot kitchen is ready we will also offer 40тАЩish hot dishes, some from our old Amor Menu and some new ones.

We are also a Wine Bar with a wine list consisting of over 50 wines at very reasonable prices; the list is up on our web site. We have 12 wines and a champagne on offer by the glass.
And while you sip your wine or nibble on your sandwich or hot food you will be surrounded by some of the most unique art available in Thailand. Feel free to wander around and browse, as all the art work and the upstairs home d├йcor is available for sale. Prices are marked on each item.

For, you see, we are also an art gallery!

With regards to the question of service charge raised by some of you, we have taken you comments into consideration and have decided to discontinue the service charge on the Deli and Drinks Menus, as well as, on the Wine List there was never going to be a service charge on the Takeaway menu.

At Street Life we offer a very unique experience and hope to be able to serve you soon.

Richard
Manager
Street Life

http://www.streetlife-pattaya.com

October 20th, 2010, 15:48
I have eaten a few Times now already at this new Street Life.
Fair to say that while it is not 110% New York corned beef and pastrami it is extremely close and as close as your gonna get it!! The breads are great and so are the sides. The size of the sandwhiches are unlike any sandwhich that Europe and Asia call a sandwhich. I say great for a light meal. They serve 1/2 sandwhiches and food to go also. A must!!!

Richsilver
October 20th, 2010, 17:00
I stopped in at Street Life yesterday afternoon and bought some lunch meats (sliced turkey, ham and salami).

Today's lunch at home was a turkey on a baguette with mayo. lettuce & tomato. Heavenly! I recommended trying their food to go, it is quite reasonably priced.

October 21st, 2010, 14:10
I stopped in at Street Life yesterday afternoon and bought some lunch meats (sliced turkey, ham and salami).

Today's lunch at home was a turkey on a baguette with mayo. lettuce & tomato. Heavenly! I recommended trying their food to go, it is quite reasonably priced.

:idea: A suggestion for the takeaway menu.
Richard should sell CD's or tapes of himself talking, on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ... so that you can listen to him at home while you're trying to eat. It would bring back that atmosphere of 'Amor' missed by so many of his ex-customers :evil4:

October 21st, 2010, 16:15

Maurice Chevalier? I ken fit ye mean the famous Scot actor, Morris McKnight? The French dinna have a brogue juist a wee frog in their thrrroats. A'm sure ye kin, pett? A've been larnin Scots ae month; whit ye think?

I think you ought to get a Scots language teacher from somewhere other than Aberdeen!

But if you're determined to carry on with your unique form of the Doric, I can recommend "Thi Lyfe An Tyme's O An Enshoar Loon" by Gordon Morrison # ISBN-13: 978-1425955397

:rolling:

lonelywombat
October 23rd, 2010, 15:35
I had dinner the other night but could not read the menu, you needed a torch or your mobile to be able to read.I had the chicken paramagiana which was as good as I have had in Thailand as mostly are overcooked and dry.My friend had the hamburger as he had pigged out the night before and was also most impressed with his meal. Not the greasy type that has been lauded on the forums lately.

Richard selected a sab sav from Chile which I did not hold out much enthusiasm for because of the price. I really liked it and after looking at his wine list will go back. The desserts looked good and will also get punished soon.

Wesley
October 24th, 2010, 21:08
I sure hope the new Amor is not as boring as the last!

lonelywombat
October 25th, 2010, 16:25

any place is only as boring as the people that patronize it.

as you no longer do so . obviously a big improvement

October 25th, 2010, 16:44

any place is only as boring as the people that patronize it......

You mean those SGT members who have been having multiple orgasms over the prospect of a bowl of matzah ball soup?

:bis:

Wesley
October 26th, 2010, 05:46

any place is only as boring as the people that patronize it.

as you no longer do so . obviously a big improvement

No, but at least I have a good reason for not going back and it has nothing to do with where I am located, as I plan a visit Thailand both Bangkok and Pattaya this coming year. I still love Thailand. I don't care how many boys you can find in the Philippines , there is nothing quite like Thailand , itтАЩs the Amour I didn't like, I loved the Bolshoi Theater and Opera in Russian, I loves Ballet at the Kremlin. I have seen as good as there is and enjoyed it; however, the Amour is not one of them. I think it has little to do with the class of people who go to them. YouтАЩre being ignorant. It has everything to do with the quality of the entertainment and the atmosphere. DonтАЩt talk to me about class. I have been to the best places in the world and I know a good time when I see it. I have seen the best on Broad way, enjoyed some of the best drag shows ever. I use to love the shows at excite when they were at their best and miss a similar place now, although I saw the other day there is a new place which I plan to see when I go. I love Thailand, Jinks helped me to see that getting older had nothing to do with whether you could find a good looking young man. I know Smiles may hate it but, there is a great looking 28 year old Canadian in the Philippines who works there and loves to spend his time in bed with me among other things we do together. I love Canadians I love their sense of Humor and I love the Philippines. I also love life. However, sadly to you; youтАЩre stuck in the past you need to see somewhere new ,not just what you can "afford" to do.

Why go half way around the world and get a NY style dinner or, sandwich, Now it you are stuck there like an Expat who only does a border crossing to stay then it might well be the deal.

lonelywombat
October 26th, 2010, 20:17

Why go half way around the world and get a NY style dinner or, sandwich, Now it you are stuck there like an Expat who only does a border crossing to stay then it might well be the deal.

It is interesting how many expats and visitors ONLY eat western food.
I rarely eat Thai and dont feel I have to justify my choice. I look for my roast dinner twice a week and rotate between mainly the restaurants in soi daynight 2. I have yet to try Dolphin but had planned to before I left. Will do so next trip.

Those restaurants plus those around Jomtien Complex and on the beach, and occasionally now Street Life satisfy me, my tastes and easily my pocket.

Wesley
October 26th, 2010, 21:47

It is interesting how many expats and visitors ONLY eat western food.
I rarely eat Thai and dont feel I have to justify my choice. I look for my roast dinner twice a week and rotate between mainly the restaurants in soi daynight 2. I have yet to try Dolphin but had planned to before I left. Will do so next trip.

Those restaurants plus those around Jomtien Complex and on the beach, and occasionally now Street Life satisfy me, my tastes and easily my pocket.

The only time all that was mildly interesting to me was when I was stuck in Kyrgyzstan after 9-11 for a year and 4 months, I spent the last of the 5 months there. I must admit it was a good thing to find a western style meal after so long. But in general, when I go places I try the local food just to see if I like it . Thai Food is a bit hot for the western taste. I think their stomachs are made of cast iron at times