PDA

View Full Version : Elections this weekend -- Pattaya too??

April 25th, 2006, 14:34
From the South China Morning Post
Thailand will hold a third round of parliamentary elections this weekend, the Election Commission said late yesterday, calling for an unprecedented return to the polls in an effort to stave off a deepening political crisis.
Commission secretary-general Ekkachai Warunphrapha said the new round of voting would be held on Saturday in 13 constituencies where a second round on Sunday was inconclusive.

Could one of you local guys tell us if Pattaya is one of the 13 constituencies affected? I'm headed that way for a few days over the weekend (need to recharge the batteries!), and will need to plan ahead if the pubs are only going to be able to serve juice!

Cheers,

David in HK

Gaypattayan
April 25th, 2006, 14:54
No election in Pattaya this week. Our area's candidates were elected first time around. This is the third time the Thai Rak Thai candidates in the deep southern provinces are trying to get votes from at least 20% of the registered voters in their districts, after failing two earlier times. Not much chance they will succeed this time either -- not much support for the government's main party in the deep south, where all the political unrest has been going on for quite some time now.

G.P.

April 25th, 2006, 17:29
No election in Pattaya this week. G.P.

There's a relief! I was worried that I would either need to get my gin quota in my hotel room, or suffer the effects of a diminished blood alcohol content! Given that I'm coming back from our annual shareholder's meeting, a "dry weekend" is *definitely* not an option!

Gaypattayan
April 25th, 2006, 22:32
Great! Havc a good time in Pattaya, and enjoy all the excitement. In addition to all the usual -- and though this is supposedly "low season", there are large crowds here yet -- "the fleet is in" besides. An American Aircraft Carrier with three other warships are at Laem Chabang port just 20 miles north of Pattaya, and the over 5,000 crew of the USS Abraham Lincoln (the largest ship ever docked at Laem Chabang), as well as the crews of the destroyer and cruisers accompanying the Lincoln, are all getting "R&R", most of which will be (is being taken) in Pattaya! Over 5,000 sailors and marines, I understand -- good "eye candy", at least, but the Thais are still most attractive to many of us!

Enjoy!

G.P.