View Full Version : Difference between gay and normal hotel

September 30th, 2010, 23:20
Hi , what is actually the difference between gay and normal hotel?
Well I believe there should be a lot more other than just the tolerance to gay..

Do you prefer to stay in gay hotel or normal?

I have not been to either, but I see that gay hotel is a lot cheaper.. why?

September 30th, 2010, 23:38
But I see that gay hotel is a lot cheaper.. why?

If you have been looking at the price per night in a 'gay' hotel then comparing it with another hotel what star/class rating are you looking at? You sound like someone who has no idea of the meaning of hotel star ratings, and asking what the difference is between a gay and normal hotel leaves one scratching one's head. Could you be a little bit more elaborate then perhaps we can advise you.

Beachlover
October 1st, 2010, 06:31
I don't care if it's gay or not. As long as it's not "unfriendly" to gays.

cdnmatt
October 1st, 2010, 06:41
Not really sure what answer you're looking for.

The gay hotels usually have more gays guys having sex in them. Does that help?

lonelywombat
October 1st, 2010, 07:29
Hi , what is actually the difference between gay and normal hotel?
Well I believe there should be a lot more other than just the tolerance to gay..

Do you prefer to stay in gay hotel or normal?

I have not been to either, but I see that gay hotel is a lot cheaper.. why?

There is no real classification but hotels sometimes are classed as family friendly or gay friendly. There are just as many cheap "straight" hotels, you were given a range.

Some big hotels were agressive about males or females being taken to the rooms. Ive had in 20 years, only two bad experiences with hotels refusing to allow a boy, Montien who went out of their way to be rude and refuse entry to the lift and to a lesser extent Narai, but that was in the 90's.

We are not talking about underage here, but many boys in bars only have the clothes they are wearing and sometimes in flipflops and bare feet. Hotels claim it is not a good look for their business.
I would strongly urge you to take the hotels recommended here for your first trip, and leave experimenting until your return

October 1st, 2010, 08:27
Thanks guys!
My mistake as I compare apple to orange.
I am thinking Club One Seven, or maybe Connect, or maybe Le Meridien.

lonelywombat
October 1st, 2010, 08:38
Thanks guys!
My mistake as I compare apple to orange.
I am thinking Club One Seven, or maybe Connect, or maybe Le Meridien.

Le meredian in Phuket NO NO NO

It is quite remote and if you use that you will need an short time room in Patong. Le meredian is family friendly. I was at a convention there where singles tried to bring girls in from across the road. Hotel made a big fuss.

Taxis from in front of the hotel are expensive and the return even more so at night.

Years since I have stayed there though, but the distance has not changed.

krobbie
October 1st, 2010, 09:57
Is that like abnormal versus normal? I guess you would mean gay or straight?

I stayed at one place in Phuket that was very nice but when I took someone back there they tried to charge me 1500 baht each time. I had a discussion in the managers office in the morning and he told me it was hotel policy. I told him, "not on my dime. Shove your policy". It got me nowhere.

http://www.clubandaman.com

In the finish I contacted my travel agent in New Zealand and told her the problem. She said, "... as I was paying double room prices this is a bit of a shock. All I had to do was tell he the guys name and all would be fine. I did that. The manager was told to pull his head in and give my money back. He hated me and I could have cared less. Fuck you, I'm from NZ and I can do as I fucking please in my own room.

I haven't stayed at said resort again and that was my very first hotel in Thailand. One learns quite a bit as time goes by. It is a non-issue now because I have been with my current bf for 3 years and we book in together. We now stay in friendlier hotels although I have never stayed in what is termed a gay hotel in Thailand. I leave that until my Palm Springs visits.

Beachlover
October 1st, 2010, 10:52
Le meredian in Phuket NO NO NO

It is quite remote and if you use that you will need an short time room in Patong. Le meredian is family friendly. I was at a convention there where singles tried to bring girls in from across the road. Hotel made a big fuss.

Taxis from in front of the hotel are expensive and the return even more so at night.

Years since I have stayed there though, but the distance has not changed.

Not sure if this poster's genuine... But yes, don't stay anywhere other than the middle of Patong Beach and within 10 minutes' walk of the beach front. You don't want to have to use tuk tuks at all when you are in Phuket. They're part of a price fixing cartel and won't go anywhere for less than 150 baht (or is it 200 baht now?).

If you stay at Le Meridien or ANY of the places towards the sides of the beach and on the hillsides overlooking Patong you'll be isolated in the middle of no where and paying through your nose anytime you want to go anywhere.

If you're looking for luxury go for La Flora (right on the beach) or Holiday Inn (though I've heard they're not keen on joiners).

Beachlover
October 1st, 2010, 10:56

I stayed at one place in Phuket that was very nice but when I took someone back there they tried to charge me 1500 baht each time. I had a discussion in the managers office in the morning and he told me it was hotel policy. I told him, "not on my dime. Shove your policy". It got me nowhere.

http://www.clubandaman.com

In the finish I contacted my travel agent in New Zealand and told her the problem. She said, "... as I was paying double room prices this is a bit of a shock. All I had to do was tell he the guys name and all would be fine. I did that. The manager was told to pull his head in and give my money back. He hated me and I could have cared less. Fuck you, I'm from NZ and I can do as I fucking please in my own room.

That's great you got it back.

1,500 baht?! Aren't joiners usually 500 baht if charged?

October 1st, 2010, 11:22
Glad i check with u guys!
I was recomended by some other friends.

Let me try the hotels mentioned by beachlover. I hope there are rooms for less than 2k bhats per day.

I guess i have to exchange money in phuket too.

krobbie
October 1st, 2010, 11:53
1,500 baht?! Aren't joiners usually 500 baht if charged?

This bugger was a real gouger and I must have looked like the epitome of the first time tourist (read dumb ass). Must have been a surprise when I bit him back. Jeeze I hate that sort of behaviour.

I am a fairly placid type BUT don't make back up in these heels or I get really pissed.

Marsilius
October 2nd, 2010, 13:10

I think that is a bit unfair to the original poster, krobbie...

He did not refer to "gay person and normal person" - which would have been worth a reprimand. Rather he referred to hotels which advertise themselves as gay as opposed to those which don't - and the latter are, of course, the norm (i.e. "normal" hotels).

I have yet to see a place that describes itself as a "straight" hotel (although they may in practice enforce such a ruling) - but there are many "normal" hotels that will not discriminate, either allowing in all sex workers of either gender or else banning the lot of them.