PDA

View Full Version : Americans and Guns

cottmann
April 25th, 2006, 10:57
..."each year about 30,000 Americans die from gunfire, a body count that compares to the 34,000 US soldiers killed in Korea and the 58,000 who died in Vietnam.
And for every American killed by a gun, there are two non-fatal firearm injuries.
The cost of gun-related violence has been estimated as high as $US100 billion ($134 billion) a year but the most chilling statistic is one from the National Centre for Injury Prevention and Control which calculates that American kids are 12 times more likely to die from gunfire than children in 25 other industrialised countries combined. "

From The Australian http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 03,00.html (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,18907449-2703,00.html)

Sheer madness or Freudian compensation?

April 25th, 2006, 11:42
According to the WHO report on Healthcare in Thailand (pub 2005), the figure of 30,000 deaths due to guns in the US is exactly repeated (30,000 deaths) in Thailand, however, the cause of these deaths is road accidents (mostly motorcycles). I believe the population of the US (underestimated) stands at 297 million and that of Thailand is 65 million. Perhaps if the US got rid of the crazy outdated wild west notion that everyone has the right to bear arms, many more lives would be saved. However, does that also mean that Thailand should ban the motorcycle?

Scarily, 30% of non accidental deaths (death due to illness or disease) is attributed to communicable diseases of which HIV/Aids accounts for 13.5% of deaths in Thailand.

Not sure what I am saying, but if over 13 % of the population dies of HIV related illnesses I think its pretty damn clear that those of us who enjoy the pleasures of the LOS have a duty to ourselves and others to play safely. :bom:

cottmann
April 25th, 2006, 16:06
According to the WHO report on Healthcare in Thailand (pub 2005), the figure of 30,000 deaths due to guns in the US is exactly repeated (30,000 deaths) in Thailand, however, the cause of these deaths is road accidents (mostly motorcycles). I believe the population of the US (underestimated) stands at 297 million and that of Thailand is 65 million. Perhaps if the US got rid of the crazy outdated wild west notion that everyone has the right to bear arms, many more lives would be saved. However, does that also mean that Thailand should ban the motorcycle?

Scarily, 30% of non accidental deaths (death due to illness or disease) is attributed to communicable diseases of which HIV/Aids accounts for 13.5% of deaths in Thailand.

Not sure what I am saying, but if over 13 % of the population dies of HIV related illnesses I think its pretty damn clear that those of us who enjoy the pleasures of the LOS have a duty to ourselves and others to play safely. :bom:

I totally agree that unnecessary deaths should be avoided and that those of us who like to enjoy the pleasures of the LOS need to play safely.

I think the difference between the numbers of deaths in the USA from guns and in Thailand from motorcycles is that in the former the deaths are largely (but not exclusively) people killing other people, and in the latter people are largely (but not exclusively) killing themselves.

April 25th, 2006, 19:09
In the context of John Lennon's death, I've always said that it seems appropriate that anyone who's mad enough to choose to live in America should die the American way

April 26th, 2006, 19:56
running for Governor said, (In defense of her position: anti automatic assault weapons legislation (Rather than admit she's against it due to the NRA contribution(s) to her campaign.) "Well, even a rolling pin can be used as an assault weapon."
I read that & thought, 'Yes, you striped red-head; I'd like to assault you with a rolling pin...Up the cu**! Better make that five rolling pins: wouldn't want to miss a spot.'