PDA

View Full Version : American food item suggestions for Pattaya restaurants

Narakmak
September 30th, 2010, 17:29
Enough already with the fat guilt thread. Live and let eat.

People seem to like the burgers and onion rings in Sunnee. Haven't tried yet as I am not a big burger fan, but as we are talking about American food, I have some ideas for new menu items.

Burgers of course are available all over town, OK, mostly bad.

Here are two things that are not really available in Pattaya, that I think could potentially be potential niche hits for a bar serving food or restaurant.

American classic recipe main course sized macaroni and cheese. Any good google search on classic American south recipes would probably give clues on how to do it. Better yet served with an option portion of grilled chicken and roasted vegetables to make it a more complete meal. There is wholesaler now doing made in Thailand cheddar cheese so the cost problems of offering cheesy dishes at a good price is reduced now.

American style lasagne. That is, served with good quality ground beef and critically ricotta cheese. Caroline made in Thailand ricotta cheese is sold in Pattaya so again the cost factors are now possible to offer at a reasonable price. American style lasagne is quite different and I think much better than the Brit style lasagnes in town and I think could possibly be a crossover hit for any expats who try it who aren't American.

Happy eating!

Check out some of the different options for mac and cheese. How about a mac and cheese only restaurant with like 100 different options? Probably a bomb but never heard of that being done anywhere ...

Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
A variety of recipes for macaroni and cheese, America's favorite comfort food

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Perfect Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese With Cheddar and Boursin Cheeses
Andouille Mac 'n Cheese
Macaroni and Smoked Cheddar Cheese
Parmesan Shells and Cheese
Extra-Special Macaroni and Cheese
Jalapeno Macaroni and Cheese
Quick and Easy Chili Mac
Best Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese With Bacon
Macaroni and Cheese Bake
Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
Macaroni and Cheese with Eggs
Old-Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese Bake III
Pasta and Cheese Bake With Spinach
Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese
Quick and Easy Nacho Macaroni and Cheese
Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
Taco Cheeseburger Macaroni
Macaroni and Cheese with Ham
Macaroni and Cheese (1928)
Four Cheese Mini Penne Bake

pong
September 30th, 2010, 18:07
just look at facts: about ANY of Europe's multiple nations has a kind of own restrt somewhere in Pattaya- even the Finns, the Icelanders and who knows more-tiny nations. Thats relevant to the nr of tourists from there visiting. if Pattay seems to lack a proper ''we are from the USA'' restrt, then the demand must be too low for it-or no American has grasped this golden opportunity in making a quick cash-cow.
Cheese is horribly expensive in Thailand (relatively speaking-but all things in life are relative)-and that explains the 2nd half of the seemingly non-availabilty. Plus that eating ''too muth chees'' in hot tropics is not good for health. And it is not a Thai thing at all (most Thai despise it, thinking it must be rotten milk-whioch in fact it actually is)

Beachlover
September 30th, 2010, 18:16
(most Thai despise it, thinking it must be rotten milk-whioch in fact it actually is)

Thanks... might explain why one of my BFs doesn't like cheese.

Brad the Impala
September 30th, 2010, 19:25

American style lasagne. That is, served with good quality ground beef and critically ricotta cheese. Caroline made in Thailand ricotta cheese is sold in Pattaya so again the cost factors are now possible to offer at a reasonable price. American style lasagne is quite different and I think much better than the Brit style lasagnes in town and I think could possibly be a crossover hit for any expats who try it who aren't American.

American versus British lasagne! How would these compare with Italian lasagne?

Narakmak
September 30th, 2010, 22:30

American versus British lasagne! How would these compare with Italian lasagne?
Who cares? Actually to my taste Italian American lasagne is better than the lasagne served at Italian restaurants in Pattaya. One key, you must use RICOTTA cheese for American lasagne. No Italian place in Thailand that I am aware of does. Dukes American in Chiang Mai does.

Anyway the contention that American style restos can't make a go is absurd. Consider Bourbon Street (overpriced of course), Great American Rib, and the new New York Pizza place in Naklua which has very good American style pizza and is doing great business. Cheese expensive? Yes, imported cheese is. Thai made cheese is happening now though and Thai cheese is not very expensive. Obviously people aren't going to pay 500 baht for mac and cheese. With Thai made cheddar (ricotta, etc.) more and more cheesey dishes are possible to do for a moderate price in Thailand. Thai tastes in Pattaya? Again, who cares?

rincondog
October 1st, 2010, 01:01
I'm sorry, one of the last things I would order in Thailand is mac n cheese. As an American, I don't travel all the way to Thailand to eat mac n cheese. I hardly eat mac n cheese while at home.

krobbie
October 1st, 2010, 01:18
Personally I couldn't think of anything I would less like to eat than macaroni and cheese, whether in Thailand or any else for that matter.

Give me that good ol' krapow gai/moo/neua any day.

Narakmak
October 1st, 2010, 02:06
I was talking about the expat market mostly, who typically crave both diversity in what they eat and of course a taste of home, just like people who live in ANY country. Of course Americans don't travel to Thailand to eat mac n' cheese. The mac n' cheese only restaurant is admittedly insane, but I still think a place offering those two cheesy items done well would find a niche market. Again, look at Dukes in Chiang Mai who sell a lot of their American style lasagna, and have for many years. The fact that lower priced Thai made cheese is now available does open up potential new markets for entrepreneurs who find new ways to sell cooked cheese. Pizza is already well covered. Tourists, by all means, if you like Thai food, and you are only in Thailand for a limited time, by all means stick to Thai food while you are here, it makes perfect sense.

cdnmatt
October 1st, 2010, 04:45
How about a nice crab sandwich? I could go for one of those right now...

EDIT: For you business owners, want to know what would actually go over really well? A typical American style BBQ dinner, with all the trimmings. Steak, corn on the cob, that thing with potatoes, carrots, and onions sliced up in tinfoil with butter, salt & pepper over the BBQ, caesar salad, and garlic toast.

Got to get yourself a BBQ, then teach a couple of the staff how to run the thing, and put it right outside your bar on the street. Don't hide it, and instead put it right in front of everyone walking by. Let them see & smell the steak sizzling, as they wander around trying to decide which bar to goto for a drink. You'll have people lining up, with mouths watering. When was the last time you seen a nice, BBQ steak dinner in Thailand? Never, because it's all grill & wok here.

October 1st, 2010, 05:51
I fail to see the point of this topic - I was in Pattaya recently and there were hardly any Americans (let's face it, you can't fail to spot them) - vastly outnumbered by Russians.

:occasion9:

krobbie
October 1st, 2010, 09:14
So perhaps a rethink on that to polemni and cheese, since there are more Russians there than any other race.

Impulse
October 1st, 2010, 11:54
How about a veggie burger? There is so much fat in a regular burger,maybe have one once a year.
Every time I hear the corner bar list something,it probably has a whole days worth of fat content.don't we want to live as long as possible in paradise?
It's bad enough having sex,booze,smokes and a sedintary lifestyle.How about some healthy food?

lonelywombat
October 1st, 2010, 12:39
How about a veggie burger? There is so much fat in a regular burger,maybe have one once a year.
Every time I hear the corner bar list something,it probably has a whole days worth of fat content.don't we want to live as long as possible in paradise?
It's bad enough having sex,booze,smokes and a sedintary lifestyle.How about some healthy food?

How about Sizzler's with the self service salads, good healthy and not expensive

Narakmak
October 1st, 2010, 12:58
So perhaps a rethink on that to polemni and cheese, since there are more Russians there than any other race.
Pelemi is already widely available in town. Good idea about serving it in a cheese sauce though. I had that at a Russkie Pattaya restaurant once, but then they dropped it from the menu.

There are always Americans in town. Don't kid yourself.