PDA

View Full Version : where to stay in bangkok

September 29th, 2010, 10:59
Better to ask than to rely only on a book. What is a nice hotel, not hugely expensive but not a dive in bangkok to stay at? I am also going to punket as well so the same question for there.

September 30th, 2010, 10:31
Better to ask than to rely only on a book. What is a nice hotel, not hugely expensive but not a dive in bangkok to stay at? I am also going to punket as well so the same question for there.
When in Bangkok, I like to stay at the Pinnacle close to Lumpinee Park.

lonelywombat
September 30th, 2010, 13:22
It would be helpful to know what price you want to pay and how close to Silom you want to be.
You can get places like Malaysia and Pinnancle for less than 1000 baht, and many people here would not go anywhere else.

It depends also how close you wish to stay to Silom/ Patpong. I have for 15 years stayed at Unico Grande Silom formerly known as Tower Inn, when travelling with friends.They have a great roof top swimming pool with a bar and restaurant with tremendous views of the city. It is a short walk to Patpong and an inexpensive taxi home if you have company. 24 hour coffee shop and a breakfast buffet that is great value.
Rooms are huge.
However the charges vary from the website to booking agencies like asiarooms.co, agoda etc.
In august my friends got less than 1500baht per night.

Others swear by Om Yim Lodge which is even closer to Patpong.

http://www.omyimgroup.com/omyimhome.html

When travelling by myself I peruse the asiarooms, agoda and similar websites for specials and places like Dusit Thani and Silom Sofitel often have great specials

You have 3 room costs
Malaysia and Pinnancle below 1000bpn
Unico and Om Yim up to 2000bpn
the 5 star hotels that can be between 3000 and 4000 bpn but often more

shop around after you decide your budget

Beachlover
September 30th, 2010, 13:53
Bangkok: http://www.dusit.com/hotels/thailand/ba ... index.html (http://www.dusit.com/hotels/thailand/bangkok/dusit_thani/index.html)

Phuket: http://www.laflorapatong.com/

llz
September 30th, 2010, 18:05
Lowest price in Dusit is 4000 THB. This is not what I would call a "not hugely expansive" place to stay in ..

lonelywombat
September 30th, 2010, 18:07
Lowest price in Dusit is 4000 THB. This is not what I would call a "not hugely expansive" place to stay in ..

It was lower just weeks ago 3300. Not a hugely expensive place to stay however breakfast is
not cheap.

stevehadders
October 2nd, 2010, 19:21
I would suggest you aim for the Silom/Suriwomg areas if you want to be close to the gay (commercial ) areas.
Always a good start is to research the area on Laterooms/booking.com/Asia Rooms/Agoda and see the latest bargains. My last trip I stayed at the Silom Serene which was very pleasant - a large room, varied breakfast, nice outside pool/bar area/ helpful staff and no issue at all with bringing in joiners (they have to register their ID,for security, but no costs etc). The Hotel was 1800, but normally quite a bit more than this.

Beachlover
October 3rd, 2010, 20:59
I paid 3,000 for a deluxe room the first time I stayed there.

krobbie
October 6th, 2010, 01:15
Personally, I think if you pay more than 2000 - 2500 baht for accommodation in Bangkok you are simply not doing your homework. There a lodgings aplenty in this price range and bloody good ones too.

Check out Agoda.com. They have some great prices.

October 6th, 2010, 04:35
But some people like to pay 4000/5000B just so they can tell us about it - the same people who claim always to fly first or business class.

:bee:

lonelywombat
October 6th, 2010, 05:54
But some people like to pay 4000/5000B just so they can tell us about it - the same people who claim always to fly first or business class.

Ah! jealousy is a curse.

atri1666
October 6th, 2010, 09:49
I like to look behind the curtain when i fly business class..... its a wonderful feeling

Beachlover
October 6th, 2010, 21:43
Personally, I think if you pay more than 2000 - 2500 baht for accommodation in Bangkok you are simply not doing your homework. There a lodgings aplenty in this price range and bloody good ones too.

Check out Agoda.com. They have some great prices.
I wouldn't agree with that. I've stayed in both the 2,000-3,000/night hotels and the 3,000-5,000/night ones. Different product. Nothing to do with not doing your homework. That only applies if you don't cross check prices and pay more than necessary for the room (i.e. not the lowest rate).

Thailand offers fantastic value for accommodation compared to other places. You get 5-star hotels at the same price you might pay to get a dump elsewhere...

I just paid more than double what I pay in Thailand for a bunch of hotel rooms here in Australia... thank goodness my client's re-imbursing.

jinks
October 6th, 2010, 21:58
I like to look behind the curtain when i fly business class..... its a wonderful feeling

I like to look behind the curtain when I fly first class..... it's MORE than a wonderful feeling.

atri1666
October 6th, 2010, 22:00

I like to look behind the curtain when I fly first class..... it's MORE than a wonderful feeling.

Same me but QR has no first class to BKK

asdsrfr-old
October 7th, 2010, 05:55
How are the higher end places with joiners? The last thing I want is paying a bit more for a room at a nicer place only to be hassled at reception bringing someone back or find a charge added to my bill. A friend recently suggested that I stay at FuramaXclusive near Silom--a mid priced hotel. When I e-mailed them to check on their joiner fee I was told it is 800baht.

I used to stay at the Chatra Court(now called Best Comfort Residential Hotel)--which is a short cab ride away from Silom. It's very comfortable and nice and they explicitly say on their website no joiner fee. Their standard room is 1041baht. I might stay there again in a few weeks when I visit.

Beachlover
October 7th, 2010, 19:36
Never had an issue bringing a boy back to the Sofitel Silom, Dusit Thani or Le Meridien. But it seems others have had issues with the Dusit Thani at times.

I think it comes down to (1) how you look as a couple - i.e. you're more likely to be stopped if there's a huge age difference and (2) the boy's dress/appearance - if he looks "low class" or like a prostitute in an obvious way, you're more likely to be stopped and either asked to pay a joiners fee or not have him allowed in.

I've only ever brought back pretty ordinary looking boys from clubs and discos around the same age as me so never had any issues.

Brad the Impala
October 7th, 2010, 21:32
Never had an issue bringing a boy back to the Sofitel Silom, Dusit Thani or Le Meridien. But it seems others have had issues with the Dusit Thani at times.

It was Earwig/LMTU etc who claimed to have had a problem bringing a pickup back to the Dusit Thani. However It was all a misunderstanding as the pickup wasn't the problem, it was LMTU that the management were trying to keep out.

October 8th, 2010, 02:03
IF you wanted a upper range hotel ie dusit or hilton .and wanted to book in with a thai friend age upper 20s, would u get turned away once u tried to check in or would there be no probs, he would be dressed decent or would it be better to e-mail and check first

Brad the Impala
October 8th, 2010, 02:11
IF you wanted a upper range hotel ie dusit or hilton .and wanted to book in with a thai friend age upper 20s, would u get turned away once u tried to check in or would there be no probs, he would be dressed decent or would it be better to e-mail and check first

If you check in together there would not be a problem.

krobbie
October 8th, 2010, 10:55
If you check in together there would not be a problem.

Considering the rate that some here assembled go through Thailand, I shouldn't think that would really be an option. That would involve some sort of commitment on the part of both parties.

Also to those that love to look behind the curtain from Business Class ... I'm the waving back there over the wing. Do send down a decent dry white wine (preferably an NZ Sauvignon Blanc) to me next time.

THank you in advance. :crybaby:

Beachlover
October 8th, 2010, 22:11
Never had an issue bringing a boy back to the Sofitel Silom, Dusit Thani or Le Meridien. But it seems others have had issues with the Dusit Thani at times.It was Earwig/LMTU etc who claimed to have had a problem bringing a pickup back to the Dusit Thani. However It was all a misunderstanding as the pickup wasn't the problem, it was LMTU that the management were trying to keep out.

Hehe, oh yeah. That was when he was posting as Bottoms Up. He was convinced I was lying when I said no joiners fee was being charged. So I guess it was just LMTU they charged a joiners fee for then.

You'll never get turned away if you check in together. They can only turn away unregistered guests (though they know they're going to be losing a lot of future business if they do this).

Considering the rate that some here assembled go through Thailand, I shouldn't think that would really be an option. That would involve some sort of commitment on the part of both parties.

Not sure what exactly you're referring to but does the second person just put their name down? If that? You only hand over one credit card right?

October 14th, 2010, 08:55
I'm currently getting quoted a rate of 2700 Baht for the Tarntawarn Hotel for anytime after the 20th of Dec ( when I arrive ), not sure if that's particularly good or bad generally (personally I don't think it's too bad ? ) but it's certainly central to Patong and many of the bars etc and you certainly have no problems with joiners etc, who are free by the way, hope that helps - and if any one does have any advice re that or better suggestions I'm always happy to hear them.

danny99
October 14th, 2010, 11:05

This oft-asked question re-cycles itself once again! How long is a piece of string?

What is the writers definition of 'nice' and 'not hugely expensive'?

What exactly are you looking for?

If it is a comfortable room with reasonable bathroom, TV and refrigerator, free wi-fi in your roomn, large biffet breakfast included, swimming pool on the roof along with a sometimes very active sauna and steam room, and want to pay less than $30 per day for somewhere 5 minutes from Silom, and no problems about bringing friends back.....then it is Pinnacle Lumpini whose details have previously been listed on this forum maybe 500 times!

Furthermore book through Agoda and also get points to use against any future booking with them...just be certain about your dates!

Beachlover
October 14th, 2010, 15:15
I'm currently getting quoted a rate of 2700 Baht for the Tarntawarn Hotel for anytime after the 20th of Dec ( when I arrive ), not sure if that's particularly good or bad generally (personally I don't think it's too bad ? ) but it's certainly central to Patong and many of the bars etc and you certainly have no problems with joiners etc, who are free by the way, hope that helps - and if any one does have any advice re that or better suggestions I'm always happy to hear them.

You mean, "Patpong" (in Bangkok) not "Patong" (in Phuket) right?

Don't know what the inclusives for your Tarntawarn rate are but consider looking at Le Meridien and the Dusit. Both usually have rooms for 3,000 or 3,500. You get a vastly better place for only an extra $10 or so.

Le Meridien standard room is great. But for the Dusit, avoid superior/standard rooms (long overdue for re-fit) and get the Deluxe. Never been charged for a joiner at either place.

October 15th, 2010, 03:14
@ Beachlover ....yes apologies of course you are right I did mean Patpong, I'm going to Patong as well during my visit and it's late so I got confused :-)

And thanks for the info and for the first time in several visits I'm going to actually bother to check somewhere else out as the only reason I ever stayed in the Tarntawan ( like many other lazy / newbies at the time I suspect) was purely the location and walking distance in relation to Boyztown ! and as for other add on's yes they bring me a nice welcome drink on arrival, have fresh fruit supplied each day to the room and give a complimentary massage (yes that sort if required :) on arrival and breakfast - although I can't honestly say I've made it down for breakfast the several times I've stayed there as the in-room service always proved more fun - but unfortunately they DON'T provide that :-)

Brad the Impala
October 15th, 2010, 05:57
- although I can't honestly say I've made it down for breakfast the several times I've stayed there as the in-room service always proved more fun - but unfortunately they DON'T provide that :-)

They serve breakfast all day if you want it. You do get out of the room in daylight don't you?

October 15th, 2010, 08:16
ha ha now I genuinely didn't realise that ! :-) although that deos explain why the staff brought me tea and toast one afternoon ! and there I thought they were just being friendly ! :-) .....and to answer you question......only if I "really" have to ! :-)

October 15th, 2010, 08:22
I should add that I am of course joking by the way about getting out during the day in BKK, honestly I've done both ! :-)..... although I do have to admit that I prefer the night times :-)