PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you been ripped off?

cdnmatt
September 26th, 2010, 21:56
I'm curious, how many times do you think you've been ripped off? I'm sure I've been ripped off loads of times that I don't even know about, just as I'm sure you probably have been. Nowadays, doesn't seem to happen too much, because life is settled now, and we always goto the same places, plus I have Kim. People will still try to rip us off every couple weeks though.

For example, goto a bar somewhere, and get a check-bin for say 1200 baht. Kim will look over the bill, speak his piece in Thai, then the waiter rushes off for 10 mins, only to return with a check-bin for 650 baht. Thais are cunts like that. Always have to be on your guard in this country.

Beachlover
September 26th, 2010, 22:21
Wow... I haven't had such brazenly fraudulent rip off attempts in Thailand much at all. I had it lots in Vietnam.

If that happens, you should complain directly to the owner (so they are aware of what their staff are doing) and let them know why you won't be back.

It might because you're white so they think you might not be so savvy with this sort of thing and see a good opportunity to rip a little off you.

cdnmatt
September 26th, 2010, 22:28
Wow... I haven't had such brazenly fraudulent rip off attempts in Thailand much at all. I had it lots in Vietnam.

Ohhh, I bet you have, but just don't know it. I know how it goes in Vietnam too, and they're pretty blatant about it. They're quite a bit more clever about it in Thailand.

If that happens, you should complain directly to the owner (so they are aware of what their staff are doing) and let them know why you won't be back.

No, no... can't do that, because if then if you ever return the place, you'll get the most horrible service you could imagine. :-) It's Thailand, you can't get angry or be boisterous. Even when Kim looks over the check-bin and realizes we're being blatantly ripped off, he's always very polite and cordial about it.

netrix
September 27th, 2010, 01:25
the only time i know of was one of the classic taxi driver
scams a few years ago. "no can not go there. wat closed today."
took us to a river cruise / tour for a different wat, and he
charged 2000 baht. i finally figured out what was going on
and said something to the driver after talking to the tour
agent at the booth, but the guy i was with was embarrassed
so i was nice and gave up my 2000 baht for a taxi ride to the
wrong wat. when i told the driver i thought he charged me
too much money he said, "but i wait for you and take you back."
of course he was gone when we got back from the tour.

Beachlover
September 27th, 2010, 07:23
Ohhh, I bet you have, but just don't know it. I know how it goes in Vietnam too, and they're pretty blatant about it. They're quite a bit more clever about it in Thailand.
I'm sure it's happened a couple of times but I tend to check everything pretty carefully there.

They tend to think they'll get a way with ripping off Caucasians more. So many times I've walked into a place and being quoted one price. Then seen a couple of caucasians walk in and get quoted a totally different price. Sometimes they admit they regret quoting me a price when they find out I'm not from Vietnam or Malaysia or whatever Asian country they suspected I was from.

In Vietnam they are very blatant... but I don't know about them being clever. I caught them out and threw it back in their faces so many times there.

In Malaysia, I found they are more clever about it... but they didn't do it as much (or did they?).

No, no... can't do that, because if then if you ever return the place, you'll get the most horrible service you could imagine. :-) It's Thailand, you can't get angry or be boisterous. Even when Kim looks over the check-bin and realizes we're being blatantly ripped off, he's always very polite and cordial about it.

Oh well, if you have to return there (I guess it's your local) that's a different thing... Have you had the same place do it multiple times though. That would verge on proof it's a deliberate thing. I'd be pissed off if that were the case.

DCbob
September 27th, 2010, 07:25
Ripped off 3 times.
Could have been several hundred.
1. If you do not expose yourself, you cannot be ripped off.
2. But if you do not expose yourself, you stay in your room locked up.
Number 2 is very boring.

bucknaway
September 27th, 2010, 09:58
I have been ripped off more times than I can remember. My first time in Thailand I got ripped off in a taxi where the guy turned off the meter and wanted to me to pay him 500 baht to go from Silom to the Pinnacle Hotel. I was new and he got me for about 300 Baht.

Again at the Pinnacle hotel, I let the bell-boy arrange my taxi back to the airport. That was a scam. He wanted 500 Baht and his cab looked good on the outside but not so good on the inside.

I purchased a magic trick from a street vendor who wrapped it up for me but when I opened it I found he didn't give me the complete kit.

What turned me off on Thailand was the women who tried time after time to steal my wallet. She didn't try to use stealth, she didn't try to pick my pocket in the sneaky way. She simply shoved her hand in my pocket grabbing my wallet. No one in the area cared and only wanted to smile at me as if nothing should be or could be done. I called her a criminal and a thief. She smiled and said I misunderstood her intentions.... I remember posting about it and some here wanted to attack me by wanting to know what pocket I put my wallet in and demanded to know how big my pockets were! LOL

That is when I began to see Thailand in a different light. :drv:

lonelywombat
September 27th, 2010, 11:14
I fell in hook line and sinker, sponsoring a boy to come to Australia, I had been introduced to by someone very high in certain Bangkok circles.

Over months, obtaining a passport and the education visa was finalised with an acceptance to an English language school paid in advance, clothes for the visit as it ia much colder than in Thailand, medicals and so on. It was 4 months and I am told that was quick.

I had sent to a friend in Bangkok the cash to pay for an airline ticket as they did not take credit cards. I waited at the airport for 3 hours after the flight arrived before smelling a rat.

My """ friend""" admitted on the phone he gave the boy the cash to pay the ticket which was almost 50,000 baht. Whilst he rang the travel agent I raced into the school to cancel any refund. The ticket had never been paid for.

I was lucky I had paid by credit card and they would only refund 300,000+ back to the card. He confirmed he had already received a request for cancellation and refund from the schools office in Bangkok.

He told me this was not an unusual occurence and the school is understanding of the issues involved.

I have heard of other cases where farangs have paid for english courses in Pattaya, in several cases to a school that used to be beside Ambience. The school used to split the money 50/50 with the boy When the farang complained they showed him the enrolment forms and the farangs name of course, was entered on nothing.

Other stories of gold in particular are heard only too often,

netrix
September 27th, 2010, 13:06
then there was the time i left my wallet in the back seat of a taxi when we stopped between bkk and pattaya.
the driver found it and came running in the store to give it to me. nothing was missing and he refused a tip.

September 27th, 2010, 17:39
I was in a bar recently in Pattaya around BTown, and the same ole trick, change for 500 instead of 1000, they knew what they were doing, they acted as if they were so experienced at it.

September 27th, 2010, 18:50
Of course none of this ever happens in our own Counties does it?

No boy ever treats you like an ATM, every taxi driver takes you the fastest route and charges the same price, and shops or bars would NEVER short-change you.

Plus, we were all forcibly transported to Thailand to be exposed to these devious, haggling shysters!

Stop whinging - get fucked instead - that's my motto

:occasion9:

September 27th, 2010, 19:09

No boy ever treats you like an ATM, every taxi driver takes you the fastest route and charges the same price, and shops or bars would NEVER short-change you.

Plus, we were all forcibly transported to Thailand to be exposed to these devious, haggling shysters!

Well said Scotty, and one should also keep in mind that when one does get 'ripped' off by a Thai they are normally smiling when they do it, unlike in most other countries.

Beachlover
September 27th, 2010, 19:28
Ripped off 3 times.
Could have been several hundred.
1. If you do not expose yourself, you cannot be ripped off.
2. But if you do not expose yourself, you stay in your room locked up.
Number 2 is very boring.
Option 3 is expose yourself. Just be savvy about it.

IWhat turned me off on Thailand was the women who tried time after time to steal my wallet. She didn't try to use stealth, she didn't try to pick my pocket in the sneaky way. She simply shoved her hand in my pocket grabbing my wallet. No one in the area cared and only wanted to smile at me as if nothing should be or could be done. I called her a criminal and a thief. She smiled and said I misunderstood her intentions.... I remember posting about it and some here wanted to attack me by wanting to know what pocket I put my wallet in and demanded to know how big my pockets were! LOL
I bet she was just trying to feel your butt. :D

I fell in hook line and sinker, sponsoring a boy to come to Australia, I had been introduced to by someone very high in certain Bangkok circles.
Now that's a sorry tale. At least you only lost the 50k baht plus whatever you spent on the lead up... could've lost the 300k baht too.

What very high Bangkok circle did this boy get 'introduced' to you via?

September 27th, 2010, 19:32
.... introduced to by someone very high in certain Bangkok circles.

...What very high Bangkok circle did this boy get 'introduced' to you via?

The Golden Cock

lonelywombat
September 27th, 2010, 19:42
.... introduced to by someone very high in certain Bangkok circles.

...What very high Bangkok circle did this boy get 'introduced' to you via?

The Golden Cock

actually scottish-guy your name was never mentioned

September 27th, 2010, 20:08
...actually scottish-guy your name was never mentioned

Mine isn't Golden, it's Tartan.

Up yer Kilt.

September 27th, 2010, 20:13
Mine isn't Golden, it's Tartan. Up yer Kilt. :occasion9:

You mean it's a Joke Cock.....I mean a Jock Cock :)

bao-bao
September 27th, 2010, 20:28
Most of the time I'm with a Thai friend who will look at the bill when it arrives and point out any discrepancies to whoever brought it to me, and I'm grateful for the savings. Since I don't get drunk it's not that big a deal to make mental note of what I've ordered myself when I'm out alone, and if there's a difference between what I feel is correct and the scribbled slip I at least make an effort to discuss it with someone - calmly, of course. Especially in Thailand: it's not so much what we say as how we say it.

There have been far more attempts to rip me off in my homeland than in Thailand - on any number of levels, sad to say.

September 27th, 2010, 21:27

I'm not sure the places you frequent in your country, but generally speaking "no" it doesn't happen in our own countries.

gerefan2
September 28th, 2010, 00:06
These are all the standard scams and can be found on many internet sites. Newbies should make themselves aware before they go to Thailand. There are simple precautions that can be taken, like paying fo each round as you go when drinking a lot.
Of course these scams happen in our own countries, but they usually only happen to visiting foreigners, not residents. We therefore never see hm.
Just keep you eyes open to anything that appears suspicious i Thailand, it usually is!

Shuee
September 28th, 2010, 01:59
there used to be a cunning young lady who would always try to give you 100bt less in your change! she was in the ticket kiosk at eekamai bus station, can i suggest to all the walking wallets here to double check you change always!

allieb
September 28th, 2010, 03:03
Two things stand out from my recent trip

1 I stoped a taxi near Siam and asked the driver to take me to Silom. He spoke perfect English and asked me where in
Silom? When I told him he said 300 Baht' special price. I told him no thanks, I don't want sex as well, and got out.
I got in another one behind who switched on the meter. Fare at Silom was 50 baht.

2 I had a pair of original Prada sunglasses and the arm was broken. I saw an identical pair on a stall in MBK and asked the
girl how much. They were not original and cost 200 Baht. I asked if she would attach one of the arms to my broken pair
and gave her 200 Baht. She tried for 15 minutes but the hinge was not exactly the same. She handed back the 200 Baht.
I gave her back 100 and said thanks for trying. She refused to accept it and said no Mr. you didn't buy anything. It's a
gift I said, but she still refused.

Moral of the two tales. There are good and bad everywhere.

nanette
September 28th, 2010, 11:00
Allieb,

moral of the story : buy only fake Pradas.

aussie_
September 28th, 2010, 14:40

I had good training before my first visit to Thailand. I was seeing a guy regularly for 6 months back in Australia, returned from the shower one night and all my computer equipment was gone. Now I never leave anyone alone in my room.

I nearly got taken by that elderly Thai guy on Silom road who strikes up a conversation about him being a doctor working at the local hospital and that it is a special festival day to see temples in Bangkok. When you get to the next corner a Tuk Tuk is conveniently available and the kind looking doctor barks at the driver that his friend the farang will only be paying 10 baht to get to the dock to take the boat to the Temples. Of course the boat ride will be 2000 or 3000 baht. I told them that I had an appointment but I have seen the same guy scamming tourists for years.

danny99
September 28th, 2010, 16:41
I'm curious, how many times do you think you've been ripped off? I'm sure I've been ripped off loads of times that I don't even know about, just as I'm sure you probably have been. Nowadays, doesn't seem to happen too much, because life is settled now, and we always goto the same places, plus I have Kim. People will still try to rip us off every couple weeks though.

For example, goto a bar somewhere, and get a check-bin for say 1200 baht. Kim will look over the bill, speak his piece in Thai, then the waiter rushes off for 10 mins, only to return with a check-bin for 650 baht. Thais are cunts like that. Always have to be on your guard in this country.

You must go to different places from those I go to? A variety of restaurants, drinking at Balcony, ogling at Solid, etc. I have a computer brain for restaurant/bar bills and am rarely surprised by the total presented.

Beachlover
September 28th, 2010, 19:12
I had good training before my first visit to Thailand. I was seeing a guy regularly for 6 months back in Australia, returned from the shower one night and all my computer equipment was gone. Now I never leave anyone alone in my room.

Shit... that sucks! Did you ever see him again? You were going out with him for six months! Didn't know you where he lived or other details about him?

September 28th, 2010, 21:42

Shit... that sucks! Did you ever see him again? You were going out with him for six months! Didn't know you where he lived or other details about him?

Sounds like there may be more to this than meets the eye....

Apologies if not.

:bee:

aussie_
September 28th, 2010, 22:30

I was not sure where he lived and never saw him again. We met on the Internet. He had no transport so I used to pick him up near his home twice a week to visit my place for some fun. I only had his mobile phone number and email/Internet profile for contact. It did seem unusual that night when he arrived at my place without much notice and with some alcohol to consume before sex. He had never done that before and it took the edge of my awareness, part of the scam. When I walked out the bathroom into the front room the door was open and everything was gone. He probably had some friends parked out front to help take the computer gear. Now I take a shower after the boy has left my room or home. This type of theft is something that could easily happen in Thailand and in fact it has recently to one of my farang friends in Pattaya and again with a long term acquaintance whom he thought he could trust.

September 29th, 2010, 04:00
Two things stand out from my recent trip
2 I had a pair of original Prada sunglasses and the arm was broken. I saw an identical pair on a stall in MBK and asked the
girl how much. They were not original and cost 200 Baht. I asked if she would attach one of the arms to my broken pair
and gave her 200 Baht. She tried for 15 minutes but the hinge was not exactly the same. She handed back the 200 Baht.
I gave her back 100 and said thanks for trying. She refused to accept it and said no Mr. you didn't buy anything. It's a
gift I said, but she still refused.

Moral of the two tales. There are good and bad everywhere.

I had a similar experience with a 11-12 year old kid working on a stall at Patpong/Silom Road corner.

I bought some DVD's and gave the kid 1000Baht note (or so I thought), got some small change and I wandered up towards Burger King and felt a tugging on my shirt, looked round and there was this little kid waving a 1000 Baht note. "Mister you give me 2000, I walk walk look you.

So I gave the kid 100Baht for his honesty.

krobbie
September 29th, 2010, 04:04
Mine isn't Golden, it's Tartan. Up yer Kilt. :occasion9:

You mean it's a Joke Cock.....I mean a Jock Cock :)

Now that really is funny. V.clever combat. :laughing3:

cdnmatt
September 29th, 2010, 06:38
When you get to the next corner a Tuk Tuk is conveniently available and the kind looking doctor barks at the driver that his friend the farang will only be paying 10 baht to get to the dock to take the boat to the Temples. Of course the boat ride will be 2000 or 3000 baht. I told them that I had an appointment but I have seen the same guy scamming tourists for years.

Exactly, that's the type of thing I meant. The typical person wouldn't even realize they're being ripped off, and would think 60 euro for a nice boat ride in Bangkok is a reasonable price.

Or for example, just tried to get ripped off tonight. Went to a convenience store, and picked up a bottle of listerine and a pack of cigs. Tried charging me 162 baht, when I know full well the price is 122 baht. It sucks, but you have to watch yourself in Thailand like that.

For another example, my parents used to live in Malaysia. This happened to my mom a few times. She'd go grocery shopping, ring everything through the till, the cashier would accidentally push the wrong button and the total would come to say 240 ringgit. Cashier would scramble a bit, push another couple buttons quickly, and whoop! Total is now 360 ringgit. Just because my mom has white skin. Only reason.

For another one, my ex-husband is Hungarian, and when he was around 16, used to work as a waiter in his home city. Population of around 50,000. They had two menus; one for hungarians, and one for everyone else. Naturally, the one for everyone else was about double the price.

Just stupid shit like that, you have to watch for. Alot of times when you're getting fucked, you don't even know if. And if they're good at what they do, they'll make you think you got a good deal.

September 29th, 2010, 06:44

I'm not sure the places you frequent in your country, but generally speaking "no" it doesn't happen in our own countries.

By qualifying your response with "generally speaking" what you really mean is - it DOES happen.

In which case - why bother posting?

:dontknow:

Beachlover
September 29th, 2010, 12:21
Exactly, that's the type of thing I meant. The typical person wouldn't even realize they're being ripped off,
I think many Westerners just take it for granted everything's going to be fair and standardised when we come from a developed Western country (not to say, lots of Chinese tourists, for example, don't get entirely ripped off when they travel).

You just have to assume everything needs to be checked and scrutinised end of story... more so when you're in less familiar lands. I notice immigrants (in Australia) who come from poorer countries just do this by nature. They expect to be ripped off if they let their guard down. It's the norm, rather than the exception.

Beachlover
September 29th, 2010, 12:25
I was not sure where he lived and never saw him again. We met on the Internet. He had no transport so I used to pick him up near his home twice a week to visit my place for some fun. I only had his mobile phone number and email/Internet profile for contact. It did seem unusual that night when he arrived at my place without much notice and with some alcohol to consume before sex. He had never done that before and it took the edge of my awareness, part of the scam. When I walked out the bathroom into the front room the door was open and everything was gone. He probably had some friends parked out front to help take the computer gear. Now I take a shower after the boy has left my room or home. This type of theft is something that could easily happen in Thailand and in fact it has recently to one of my farang friends in Pattaya and again with a long term acquaintance whom he thought he could trust.
Not very nice. What an arsehole. Did you go to the police with his mobile phone number? One of the benefits of living in Australia is having a professional police force. If it was a contract number he definitely could've been tracked down. If it was pre-paid, I think there's still a good chance. Worth it if we're talking about a few thousand or more dollars here.

September 29th, 2010, 19:03
...One of the benefits of living in Australia is having a professional police force. If it was a contract number he definitely could've been tracked down. If it was pre-paid, I think there's still a good chance. Worth it if we're talking about a few thousand or more dollars here.

Can I firstly say that the following comments do not refer to the situation referred to earlier - I'm speaking generally:

Gay men have always been easy targets for theft, robbery, and blackmail precisely because of the very institution you mention in your reply - my estimate would be that the vast majority of crimes of this nature go unreported as the perpetrator knows the chances of the victim reporting the crime is very low.

Unless you have an independent income, are extremely self-confident, out of the closet, and very sure of your ground, it would be highly risky to go to the Police (no matter how "professional") as a 60yo gay man (for example) and tell them the 16yo boy (for example) that you've been fucking for weeks has stolen your computer!! Oh yes, you may very well be in your rights to do so*, but you'll quickly find the Police are far more interested in YOU than the crime you have reported)

*16yo is AOC in UK - you could as easily say 18 or 21 - the principle is the same

Beachlover
September 29th, 2010, 21:05
Gay men have always been easy targets for theft, robbery, and blackmail precisely because of the very institution you mention in your reply - my estimate would be that the vast majority of crimes of this nature go unreported as the perpetrator knows the chances of the victim reporting the crime is very low.

Unless you have an independent income, are extremely self-confident, out of the closet, and very sure of your ground, it would be highly risky to go to the Police (no matter how "professional") as a 60yo gay man (for example) and tell them the 16yo boy (for example) that you've been fucking for weeks has stolen your computer!! Oh yes, you may very well be in your rights to do so*, but you'll quickly find the Police are far more interested in YOU than the crime you have reported)

*16yo is AOC in UK - you could as easily say 18 or 21 - the principle is the same

I think you're right about many situations in the gay community but not as many as you imply. Surely not everyone in the gay community is over 60 and surely not many casual affairs in the gay community involve a 16 year old.

I can't picture many situations where it would be risky for me to go to the police. I'm still pretty young and I wouldn't be screwing a 16 year old so I doubt I would end up in any situation where I'm hesitant to report a few thousand dollars of stuff stolen. Wouldn't care if it was a few hundred, but a heap of computer equipment would be serious enough. Not to mention, if someone took my laptop I'd be hiring an army to help retrieve it. My laptop is like my light saber...

allieb
September 29th, 2010, 21:22
I think you're right about many situations in the gay community but not as many as you imply. Surely not everyone in the gay community is over 60 and surely not many casual affairs in the gay community involve a 16 year old.

Oh but we are talking about Thailand. On my recent trip to Pattaya I didn't met any Farang queens under 55. One Farang Thai couple I was introduced to had an age gap of 66 years. The younger Thai boy was well over legal age.

September 29th, 2010, 23:19
....Surely not everyone in the gay community is over 60 and surely not many casual affairs in the gay community involve a 16 year old....

That was only an example and certainly wasn't aimed at YOUR circumstances - here's some more:

The guy may be married

He may have a sensitive job - eg Teacher/Doctor

He may be well known e.g. an entertainer

He may be in the closet

There may be prostitution involved (shock, horror)

The ages don't have to be 60 and 16 - as I have said MANY times on SGT the str8 community can be very hostile even to a 20yr age gap.

Even the police will tell you that there is still a vast resistance to report crime within the so-called gay community.

Beachlover
September 30th, 2010, 13:47
Oh but we are talking about Thailand. On my recent trip to Pattaya I didn't met any Farang queens under 55. One Farang Thai couple I was introduced to had an age gap of 66 years. The younger Thai boy was well over legal age.
Well, the poster I was talking about (aussie) was describing an incident, which happened in Australia.

On my recent trip to Pattaya I didn't met any Farang queens under 55. One Farang Thai couple I was introduced to had an age gap of 66 years. The younger Thai boy was well over legal age.
Blimey... 66 years. If the boy was 20 the farang had to be 80+!

I find it hard to imagine that relationship not being plutonic (from the boy's perspective)... but that's not me saying it doesn't happen.

September 30th, 2010, 17:53
Blimey.. the farang had to be 80+!
I find it hard to imagine that relationship not being plutonic ...

Poor old Pluto, having an 80+yo up his bum.

Mind you, he does look as if he's ready and waiting!!

http://www.alldisneycharacters.com/images/all_disney_characters_pluto_2.jpg

Beachlover
September 30th, 2010, 18:13
He looks like he's high to me!

allieb
September 30th, 2010, 19:20
Blimey... 66 years. If the boy was 20 the farang had to be 80+!

Almost 90 and fit. I wonder how many of us will make it to 90 and if so will we still be able to take it up the poop shoot?