PDA

View Full Version : "Pappa, Daddy"...an insult or a term of endearment

April 25th, 2006, 01:42
Not sure which, an insult or a polite comment.... what do you think?
Do you like it? I dont.
What is the reaction of one of Sydneys more outrageous residents to being called "Daddy"?... probably the most polite address he has had in years...!
G

April 25th, 2006, 02:01
The thai people are raised to revere their elders and so it is a term of endearment. Personally I have always taken it as a compliment. It is one of the small things that make me smile about the thai people.

Doug
April 25th, 2006, 02:19
Since I'm old enough to be his grandfather, "papa" is a compliment to me.

Mi Cow Chai-old
April 25th, 2006, 03:03
It is a term of respect and I have always taken it that way.

cottmann
April 25th, 2006, 05:47
The thai people are raised to revere their elders and so it is a term of endearment. Personally I have always taken it as a compliment. It is one of the small things that make me smile about the thai people.

Thais - and Burmese, too. My former BF, now happily married to a Canadian guy, still calls me "Daddy," and none of the three of us has any problem with the term.

April 25th, 2006, 06:18
It's a term used by Thais to address me sometimes.

I have always considered it to be meant in a positive way.
Didn't like it so much at first, but now don't mind at all.

I feel sure it does not have a negative connotation.

lonelywombat
April 25th, 2006, 07:10
I like to be called Big Daddy.

You forgot the comma after big.

April 25th, 2006, 07:31
I only started hearing it recently. I felt kinda the same as when people started calling me Sir (which is only fun when they are on their knees....).

Davey612
April 25th, 2006, 07:52
I am just called boss. Which, I guess, is correct. :drunken:

April 25th, 2006, 12:02
I have never been callled daddy or big daddy but I have been called little Budha ... I think that's what it was unless they meant little bugger! However, at least once a week some guy will come up to me in the street or in a bar and pat my belly asking 'You have baby'?. First time it happened I could have slapped the guy into the middle of next week, but now I just smile, pat my own belly and say 'Twins'!

April 25th, 2006, 12:32
Better than Chang Noi (baby elephant) I suppose ;-)

Smiles
April 26th, 2006, 11:57
I don't necessarily disagree mind you, but on this last trip (now sadly over) The Beloved started calling me "GOD".

What meaningfullness would you put on that?

Cheers ...

cottmann
April 26th, 2006, 12:32
I don't necessarily disagree mind you, but on this last trip (now sadly over) The Beloved started calling me "GOD".

Cheers ...

Reminds me of an explanation in, I think, the former BBC series "Yes, Minister" or "Yes, Prime Minister" of the meaning of the initials for members of the Order of St. Michael and St. George:

CMG -- or Companion -- Call Me God
KCMG -- Knight Commander -- Kindly Call Me God
GCMG -- Knight Grand Cross -- God Calls Me God

April 26th, 2006, 18:33
[quote="Smiles"]I don't necessarily disagree mind you, but on this last trip (now sadly over) The Beloved started calling me "GOD".

Meaningfullness? Are you sure he wasn't saying, 'gop'?...Or, 'gon'? (Gop: frog. Gon: ar... er...derriere.)

Don't feel bad; I thought Num was calling me, 'Etienne.' Then a kind friend pointed out, he was saying, 'A.T.M.'