PDA

View Full Version : koh chang

January 8th, 2006, 12:06
Has anyone been to Koh Chang? Are there gay hotels and bars there? thanks!

haikudude
January 8th, 2006, 12:51
I was there last May, and no, no gay bars or hotels that I know of. However, I went to Sabai Bar on White Sands Beach one night and had many a student cruising me. Easley could have brought one home with me. I was staying at the Kacha Resort on White Sands. Very nice reasonably priced place.

catawampuscat
January 8th, 2006, 13:26
Go for the peace and quiet and bring your boy..Even better go with another farang or two and their bfs and all will be happy...

haikudude
January 8th, 2006, 14:27
Exactly why we went. I took my bkk bf with me and all we did was lounge around the beach, did the BBQ on the beach that the hotel offered, and rented motor bikes and explored the island. One night he stayed in to watch a football game that came on around midnight, I played at Sabai. Good relaxing time.

January 8th, 2006, 14:44
Even better go with another farang or two and their bfs and all will be happy...That sounds like my kind of fun!

January 8th, 2006, 16:57
thanks, guys

TrongpaiExpat
January 11th, 2006, 21:04
We stayed at the Katcha last month in one of the garden bungalows. Very nice pool, nice beach, food just ok, better and a lot cheaper at the places on the main street opposite the sea side.

We took the new bus service that goes direct to the boat pier from Eckamai. The counter is to the left of the entrance, clearly marked yet I walked past it twice.

Katcha is nice. We had a down stairs bungalow and you do hear every foot step if anyone is in the upstairs unit. I was lucky in a 5 day stay that only one day was the upstairs unit occupied.

I liked Ko Chang and will return.

We were then going on to Pattaya and did not want to mess with the Trat bus so went to one of the travel agencies and arranged a mini bus transfer. The hotel pick up worked fine, took us to a smaller boat service and then some 13 year old on a motercy met us at the pier and took us to some stand one at a time. There we were told that there was some problem with the mini bus, an accident or something. After an hour wait, with no explanations some private car showed up with some farangs and they arranged private car transfer for us with out additional changes. We were lucky.

January 11th, 2006, 21:42
Thanks. You are the second person who has mentioned the Katcha; I can not seem to find a link for it. Do you have one? or a pic that you can pm me?

Thanks!

Richard

TrongpaiExpat
January 11th, 2006, 22:13
kohchangkacha.com/ (http://kohchangkacha.com/)

January 15th, 2006, 00:51
Would someone who's been to both offer their opinions as to the diferences?

TrongpaiExpat
January 15th, 2006, 01:24
I have been to both and will add in Ko Samui for comparison. Just my opinion but I like Ko Chang best. Ko Samui is good if you want some gay venues, both of the others have none. I found that we got a better deal for the quality of the room/bungalow over the same at Ko Samat. Ko Samat is very small and limited on where to go and what to do. Ko Samui is so large it does not feel like an island and is so full of back packing farangs and just farangs in general. Ko Samat is more "Thai" than Ko Samui and Ko Chang is somewhere in the middle if that makes any sense.
I found the food to be best in Ko Chang. One side of Ko Chang is developed and the other less with some hidden coves and nice looking accommodations hidden here and there. You do need to hire a car or motocy to get around on the quiet side of the island.

Brad the Impala
January 15th, 2006, 03:09
Ko Chang used to have a reutation for the biggest mosquitoes in Thailand. They are also potentially malarial.

January 15th, 2006, 07:11
Ko Chang used to have a reutation for the biggest mosquitoes in Thailand. They are also potentially malarial.

Yes and for that, I have always taken malaria profilacs when I was on Chang before. Well it is 3 years ago now, and maybe it has changed. The Vaccination Department in Denmark still show Koh Chang on their map as an malaria area. The two last times I was there, I took Malarone. You just have to take it one day before going into a malaria area, and then one week after returning from it. I have had non siteeffects. None of my thaifriends took anything, so maybe it is an overkill. BTW in Koh Samet last time I saw an old bilboard, how to react if you thougt you were infected my malaria. Hope this helps.

Smiles
January 15th, 2006, 09:12
A good site to read over for travel/medical topics can be viewed at: http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/index.htm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Images2/resistance.jpg

Cheers ...

Hmmm
January 15th, 2006, 09:57
Never saw a mosquito when I was on Koh Chang around mid-year several years back, so they may be seasonal.

Koh Chang is right below the right hand "red banana" on Smiles' map.

January 15th, 2006, 19:54
I have stayed at Klong Prao Resort 2 times. Very nice, gay friendly, stayed in the bungalows, seeview. Bring your boy with you.
I had mosquitosomething to put on the legs and arms. No problems.
Not so many as in Koh Samet.
Koh Chang is for ,people who want to relax.