PDA

View Full Version : baht buses itinerary?

August 24th, 2010, 22:15
Hi

If I am at Pattaya Beach Road and I want to go to Second Road North side, I must take a baht bus, right?

If I am Pattaya Beach Road and I want to go to Jomtien, I must take a baht bus also, right?

If I am right, how shall I know wich bus goes to 2nd Rd and wich one goes to Jomtien?

Or am I wrong?

bao-bao
August 24th, 2010, 23:13
If I am at Pattaya Beach Road and I want to go to Second Road North side, I must take a baht bus, right?
That depends on where you are ON Beach Road and where you want to go on Second Road. If you're way North (say, along about Soi 3) and you want to go somewhere much further South on Second Road, you might be better off taking the baht bus. Many of them loop around those two streets (going South on Beach and making a left onto South Pattaya at the entrance to "Walking Street" and then turning North again on Second. If you're OK with some walking, just cut up one of the sois a long block from Beach to Second.

If I am Pattaya Beach Road and I want to go to Jomtien, I must take a baht bus also, right?
Yes, that's too far to walk. You catch the baht bus to Jomtien on the east side of Second Road at the intersection of South Pattaya and Second (this is where most of the buses from Beach Road will make a left to head North on Second). You'll see a line of baht buses lined up along the street on the South side of South Pattaya Road.

Someone else will probably chime in with a clearer explanation. Check this on a map, too - it'll make more sense.

cdnmatt
August 25th, 2010, 00:43
Short answer (that I know of) is: you don't know where they're going. All trucks are the same color, and don't have any numbering. Just hop on, and if it turns the wrong corner, hop off, and grab another one that's going the direction you want. You'll eventually get to where you're going.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any organization to the baht buses in Pattaya. Up here, its great. There's loads of baht buses, and the truck bodies all have a different color (blue, green, yellow, red, whatever) depending on their general route. Then on top of that, all trucks are numbered (with large numbers all over), so you know the exact route in the general region.

Works great!

allieb
August 25th, 2010, 01:05
Short answer (that I know of) is: you don't know where they're going. All trucks are the same color, and don't have any numbering. Just hop on, and if it turns the wrong corner, hop off, and grab another one that's going the direction you want. You'll eventually get to where you're going.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any organization to the baht buses in Pattaya. Up here, its great. There's loads of baht buses, and the truck bodies all have a different color (blue, green, yellow, red, whatever) depending on their general route. Then on top of that, all trucks are numbered (with large numbers all over), so you know the exact route in the general region.

Works great!

Just like the boys

lonelywombat
August 25th, 2010, 18:49
I am confused by the OP and by some of the answers. maybe it is me,it usually is.

I thought that Beach and Second roads run north and south and that if coming down Beach Rd from say Mikes Dept Store, you turn left [east] into South Road and right or south to go to Jomtien Beach at the school.

To his question which basically is

how do you find out which buses at the corner of South and Second rds
1 turn right to Jomtien and which buses
2 turn left to go north up second road

can I add
3 how to you identify those buses that do not turn but go further up Second Rd past Tukcom and Freedom

Beachlover
August 25th, 2010, 22:40
I remember there being maps on the backs of some baht buses showing their routes. Best thing to do is ask one of the locals. I've heard it's best not to ask the drivers themselves because they may assume you are hiring them as a point to point taxi.

August 25th, 2010, 23:56
I think what bao-bao was referring to in response to the OP can be seen in his hastily-drawn sketch map as the red and the black routes.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/macaroni21_2008/sawatdee-gay-thai/pattaya_bus_routes_question.gif

But I have a question too, for those who either live in Pattaya or know its transport system very well. Do the green, yellow and light blue routes exist? I'm almost sure they do because I see the songtaews along all three roads: South Road, Central Road and North Road.

Those on North and Central Roads must surely have entered from Second Road, so if I were standing on Second Road, outside Boyz Town, for example, how would I know whether the bus will be following the red or will be turning off into green or yellow?

Smiles
August 26th, 2010, 00:20
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/macaroni21_2008/sawatdee-gay-thai/pattaya_bus_routes_question.gif
how would I know whether the bus will be following the red or will be turning off into green or yellow?
Beach Rd, Second Rd. and the first part of South Pattaya Rd (i.e. the part between Beach and Second) are all one way streets.
Let's say you're standing on Beach Rd with the intention of going to Jomtien. You'd stand on Beach Rd on the ocean side (i.e the right side going south) and flag down a Baht Bus driving in the ocean side lane. He'd drive in that lane and then make an easy right turn onto the road to Jomtien.
Reverse that, and stand on the right side of Beach Rd if you want to turn left on Second Rd: the Baht bus will be in that right lane to make an easy turn left onto Second.
Rather logical actually.

I've tested this out (after being told of the strategy by a friend who lives in Jomtien) a number of times. It works that way usually, but not always! TiT!!

August 26th, 2010, 00:22
Just jump on if it turns off your route jump of and get one going in the same direction as you............

soi_toi
August 26th, 2010, 01:24
I've heard it's best not to ask the drivers themselves because they may assume you are hiring them as a point to point taxi.

Just say to the driver "Jomtien?" He'll indicate a 'yes' or 'no' in someway. If there are other people on the bus already, I usually don't worry about the fare but if the bus is empty, ask the driver "How Much?". If he replies with anything more than 10 baht, say 100 or 150 baht, then he's for hire point to point, sometimes not a bad thing if I just want to get home to bed.

Often times you'll see the baht buses lined up along Second Rd. next to school headed towards Jomtien. The drivers are loading people on the last bus in line and the bus will sit there until it's full; I never board there. I walk up toward the corner past all the waiting baht busses and catch one passing usually with less people on it. Same fare, less crowded.
I'm guessing the drivers are just trying to guarantee themselves some revenue by loading up before they go, but I hate being sardine canned into a vehicle if I don't have to, unless it's full of hot guys.

August 26th, 2010, 11:00
I have amended the map to include the route that Smiles just described. It's shown in lilac.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/macaroni21_2008/sawatdee-gay-thai/pattaya_bus_routes_2.gif

So we know the red, lilac and black routes exist. Question still remains :) Do the green, yellow and light blue routes exist?

Beachlover
August 26th, 2010, 17:09
Often times you'll see the baht buses lined up along Second Rd. next to school headed towards Jomtien. The drivers are loading people on the last bus in line and the bus will sit there until it's full; I never board there. I walk up toward the corner past all the waiting baht busses and catch one passing usually with less people on it. Same fare, less crowded.
I'm guessing the drivers are just trying to guarantee themselves some revenue by loading up before they go, but I hate being sardine canned into a vehicle if I don't have to, unless it's full of hot guys.

Yeah, I have done that before. I don't mind the baht bus being crowded at all... It's the fact that you sometimes sit there waiting soooo long that pisses me off. I want to get going straight away.

Walking up the street to catch a moving one is a good idea.

bao-bao
August 26th, 2010, 21:03
I have amended the map to include the route that Smiles just described. It's shown in lilac.
So we know the red, lilac and black routes exist. Question still remains :) Do the green, yellow and light blue routes exist?
Nicely done maps, as usual! I'm curious to see if anyone living there can provide the real answers. Certainly there are enough members who speak Thai or could ask a local bilingual friend who does.

I hope someone can verify the post Smiles made - that could be very handy info if it's true (accepting that it IS Thailand and could be subject to the driver's whim).

As a tourist I don't mind the extra 10 Baht to change buses, but it's the time, walking, traffic and bother I'd rather not deal with if possible.

witchhunt
August 29th, 2010, 11:46
From Pattayaone news Baht Bus Cooperative meeting with Pattaya Police Chief
26th August 2010

The Pattaya Police Chief called a meeting with senior officials from the Pattaya Baht Bus Cooperative on Wednesday to discuss problems encountered with Baht Buses by members of the public and the Police. Police Colonel Nantawoot, PattayaтАЩs Police Chief was joined by his two deputies and Khun Tawat, President of the cooperative. The Colonel led the meeting and was told that around 700 Baht Buses operate here in Pattaya. He mentioned that to avoid a reduction in numbers and to prevent persistent traffic congestion problems caused by the high numbers of Baht Buses on the roads of Pattaya at any one time, he wants the cooperative to enforce a scheme which was implemented some years ago whereby Baht Buses were allocated certain routes denoted by colored stickers on their front windows. He also demanded that the Baht Buses use only designated stopping areas and not to create congestion problems by stopping as soon as passengers demanded to be let-off. From 1st September PattayaтАЩs Traffic Police will be strictly enforcing traffic laws in relation to the Baht Buses and will begin to issue fines to those drivers who continue to park illegally.
Crimes on Baht Buses were also discussed. Necklace snatches and pickpockets are prevalent and the Colonel requires cooperation from Baht Bus drivers to help in reducing these forms of crime. Khun Tawat confirmed that a re-design of the Baht Buses will soon take place to assist in preventing such crimes and he will consult with the Police before the designs are implemented.
Finally, the Colonel stated that he was aware of the problems with unlicensed taxiтАЩs operating in Pattaya and will work closely with the Baht Bus Cooperative to locate and arrest those involved in operating such vehicles.

quiet1
September 4th, 2010, 19:00
And no item on the meeting agenda about the "metered taxis," who I understand are regulated by the same baht bus (mafia) group?