PDA

View Full Version : boys

August 22nd, 2010, 14:10
I have watched this board with interest for some time.
Interesting issues are raised whenever people talk about boys on this site.
I wonder if we could have a civil discussion about this.

What do people mean when they refer to boys in Thailand, particularly in regard to gay Thailand? How old are those boys?
What is actually being done to stop child prostitution in places like Sunnee?
I am particularly interested in what bar owners have to say. Thanks

Beachlover
August 22nd, 2010, 14:38
In Thailand and much of Asia, the word, "boy" is often used to refer to males aged up to 30, sometimes 35. Maybe this is similar to the word, "lad" in the West.

netrix
August 22nd, 2010, 14:58
wow. really? might as well lock this thread now LOL

August 22nd, 2010, 16:44
Good try by Dame Nivea to promote his/her own agenda and stir up yet another feeding frenzy on this board,

BUT

a "boy" in Thailand is almost meaningless - could be up to mid/late30's.

Hard luck Dame - speaking personally, I'm not biting.

:hello1:

August 22nd, 2010, 17:01
How long will we have to wait for the foul mouthed rants to start from the OP?

August 22nd, 2010, 17:22
Here's my prediction:

The OP won't like the (honest) answers given to the 1st question, so will move on allegations that 30yo "boys" are being exploited -that's normally how it works.

The OP will then move on to the loaded 2nd question, conveniently forgetting that this is a worldwide problem and that Thailand has some of the most severe penalites in the world to attempt to combat it.

The OP's motives could not be more transparent if they were in a glass case.

:occasion9:

August 22nd, 2010, 17:25
In Oz you can be one of the boys well into your 80s whereas in the good old usa you'd be a dude...... :hello1:

August 22nd, 2010, 17:34
In Oz you can be one of the boys well into your 80s whereas in the good old usa you'd be a dude...... :hello1:

The good old USA yeah ...... I always fancied being a Cowpoke, whats the age-range for that?

Also - in the North of England guys in their 40's 0r 50's are routinely referred to as a "lad"

It's much simpler in Scotland - everybody is just called "Jimmy" - even the women.

But then again, if you frequent certain Boyztown bars you already know that!

:rolling: :rolling:

TOQ
August 22nd, 2010, 17:41

The good old USA yeah ...... I always fancied being a Cowpoke, whats the age-range for that?

Oh, they can get into their 60's and still poke cows :rolling:

Dodger
August 22nd, 2010, 18:03
Troll Stated:

wonder if we could have a civil discussion about this.

See how civil we can be when we really want to be.

Now, go fuck yourself.

gorcum-old
August 22nd, 2010, 20:36
I believe Boy is used a lot all over the world for all ages of men, in Canada we often refer to the boys as in the working crew.
In a shop we call the men often boys or the boys in the back, they can be all ages.
In Thailand we call the police BIB, the can be any age.

I just do not know what this has to do with prostutuion in Sunee

thaiguest
August 23rd, 2010, 08:03
The word 'boys' in the context of 'boy bars' refers to unmarried young men. Other contexts also come to mind ie 'The Pet Shop Boys', 'Boyzone' (boy bands) etc.

What are the bar owners doing about child prostitution in Sunnee?

Probably not much because;

1) most bars in Sunnee are not involved in child prostitution; most child prostitution in Thailand involves little girls in the 'chicken house' venues set up for straight clients. You won't read about this in the papers nor will you see dramatic raids on tv.

2) street children are wandering around Pattaya because of parental and governmental neglect not because of bar owners. It's hard enough paying staff wages and keeping the place open without having to deal with the neglected children of a sovereign country.

August 23rd, 2010, 08:23
Lads, men, OAPs, what about people who can't get about, wheelchair and so forth. My friend told me a story tonight of his friend who is 90 and in sheltered accommodation. This chap took his friend out who was in a wheelchair frequently. One day when he went round to pick her up she was sitting in her wheelchair starkers and said "I do get rather frustrated at times, I haven't had sex for such a long time". The poor chap (who is gay by the way), just ran out the door, blue let alone red faced.

Another story, my mother tonight got out of my car and broke wind, bless! My mum is one of a breed that there ain't much of these days, that is a "lady". Anyway, the dirty bitch said 10 seconds later, "that smells nice". I just laughed and said "mum, are you smelling your own farts you dirty bitch, I'm shocked, I thought better of you". She said "no I am not, what do you take me for", then I saw her with her face in freshly washed bed linen that my sister had cleaned for her, that we had just picked up. It was just a coincidence that she made the comment 10 seconds after she shit. Being a lady also, she did say sorry for letting wind, once again, bless!

cdnmatt
August 23rd, 2010, 12:32
To the OP: Let me guess... you started some blog, and are looking for good gossip so you can drive traffic to your shitty little blog.

Is that about right? Piss off... Judging from your writing, you're obviously not a journalist, or anyone of any importance. And judging from your content, you're not a gay guy looking for advice on Thailand.

If you were gay, and knew anything at all about Thailand (or SE Asia for that matter), you'd know "boy" refers to anyone from 16 - 35.

August 23rd, 2010, 17:23
say it enough times matt and even you will start to believe it...............

August 23rd, 2010, 18:45
Actually the word 'boy' can be used to describe anyone younger than yourself. Whatever here's a nice picture of some 'boys'

http://pictures.thaindian.com/d/319-1/Orchid+Boys.JPG

Smiles
August 23rd, 2010, 19:24
Worth some close ups:

THE ORCHID BOYS (If any are married, I don't think they're referred to as a 'boy' ... even if younger)

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=51&image_id=3211

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=51&image_id=3210

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=51&image_id=3209

For my friend Peter ... this photo work done on Irfanview.

August 23rd, 2010, 19:41
THE ORCHID BOYS (If any are married, I don't think they're referred to as a 'boy' ... even if younger)

I'm not quite sure what you mean there Smiles "If any are married, I don't think they're refered to as a 'boy'.....even if younger"

You haven't been taking grammar lessons from LMTU have you?

August 24th, 2010, 00:22
If you want to know the definition of a boy look at the banner ads on ooglemans posts on GTT.........................

August 24th, 2010, 02:35
If you want to know the definition of a boy look at the banner ads on ooglemans posts on GTT.........................

I guess they illustrate ONE definition.

Do you not accept that there are other definitions?

How can you possibly know what others mean when they say "boy"?

:dontknow:

gra46
August 24th, 2010, 11:42
BOY:
1. a male child, from birth to full growth, esp. one less than 18 years of age.
2. a young man who lacks maturity, judgment, etc.
3. Informal . a grown man, esp. when referred to familiarly: He liked to play poker with the boys.
4. a son: Sam's oldest boy is helping him in the business.
5. a male who is from or native to a given place.
6. boys, ( used with a singular or plural verb )
a. a range of sizes from 8 to 20 in garments made for boys.
b. a garment in this size range.
c. the department or section of a store where these garments are sold.
7. boys, military personnel, esp. combat soldiers: Support the boys overseas.
8. Disparaging and Offensive . a man considered by the speaker to be inferior in race, nationality, or occupational status.
9. a young male servant; page.
10. Offensive . (in India, China, Japan, etc.) a native male servant, working as a butler, waiter, houseboy, etc.
11. Nautical . an apprentice seaman or fisherman.

August 24th, 2010, 12:43
WOW how smart of you................

marcwolf
December 1st, 2012, 13:54
I had the same issue.

I was looking for some male company (yes I am gay) whilst in Bangkock as I asked my taxi driver where I would find some.
He laughed and said "Ah.. you want some boy's"
To which I explained that no - I want men older than 20. And he still said "you want some boys"
Finally I realised that 'Boy's" meant any young man and he took me to a place where I met and enjoyed the company of a very handsome fellow.

Afterwards I ended up with the same taxi driver taking me back to my hotel and we stopped for a while (I was happy to pay the extra) and just talked about different cultures, interests etc. He was married but also likes the 'ladyboys' I had to tell him sadly that if it had boobs then it was not for me.

I am not sure how he did it but most other trips around the city.. busniess and otherwise I had the same driver. He was a great fellow and I wish him well.

Marc

Mancs
December 3rd, 2012, 03:21
Men working in Thai massage shops often seem to refer to themselves and their colleagues as 'boys', even though some of them are 30 plus. I assume this is partly about branding and partly because it is harder to learn two words-'men' and 'boys'-and then decide which one is correct. In the uk I have seen men in their mid 40's on gay social networking sites using 'boy' as part of their user name. In my opinion they are stretching the definition liberally. In Thailand I sometimes refer to 'money men' instead of 'money boys' but I know I am swimming upstream.

December 3rd, 2012, 03:54
I too could cringe sometimes when relating some story about a recent Thai holiday to someone here in the UK and without thinking say " oh I meet a lovely boy in such and such a bar" etc only for them to go quiet and nod in a strange "are you sure you want to be telling me this kind of way" until I manage to explain the "boy" in question was 29 or something !

However as much as I wish it the term wasn't so it then struck me that here in Northern Ireland we do EXACTLY the same thing, except perhaps even more extremely as it would be quite normal for Country folk here to talk about "going up the road to see a boy about buying a car" or some such thing and that "boy" in question could be a 70 year old man !!

So I guess we're maybe not as "different" as we think, although I gotta say the minute 70 year old "boys" start working the go go bars I'm so done with Thailand forever !! :-)

kjun12
December 3rd, 2012, 04:45
I always fancied being a Cowpoke
I think you meant to say you always wanted to be cowpoked but I'm sure that has happened many times.