PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi in Pattaya

Dodger
August 20th, 2010, 18:31
Does anyone have information on Tai Chi classes in or near Pattaya?

I'm not having much luck on the internet, although met a farang several years back who highly recommended a place that I seem to recall being up in the Naklua area.

Any information would be appreciated.

August 21st, 2010, 01:05
[quote="Dodger"]Does anyone have information on Tai Chi classes in or near Pattaya?

I'm not having much luck on the internet, although met a farang several years back who highly recommended a place that I seem to recall being up in the Naklua area.

Any information would be appreciated

bigben
August 21st, 2010, 01:48
Dodger

Not sure how to post a link.... but here a website:

http://www.universaltaopattaya.com/

Hope that helps

bb

Rainwalker
August 21st, 2010, 03:03
That's the only place that I found in Pattaya as well BUT that doesn't mean its the only spot and that's because, early in the morning, groups of Chinese Thais gather regularly in parks, school yards, and parking lots to "len tai gek" and trick is to somehow find them.

At 6 AM in Chiang Mai, a group of 20 - 40 people gather at Buak Had, the park on SW corner of the inside the moat (and across the moat from Suan Prung, the psychiatric hospital) to do 3 sets, Yang 24, Yang 42, and Yang 82(?). That takes an hour and the group breaks up then except for some folks who do a Yang Fan set and occasionally a Yang Sword set. There is no instruction per se and you have to follow along as best you can and learn by repetition. There are often 2 or 3 farang there.

Also in the park at the same time are the same number of Qi Gong practitioners, a dozen Yoga devotees, and 5 or 5 "American-style" aerobic dancers along with folks running or walking the perimeter of the park.

Also in Chiang Mai, there is another group, maybe 25 or 30 folks, gathering at the same time but behind the Red Cross building near the river to do an hour's worth of Qi Gong but at 7 AM after they finish, about 8 of them do a Yang 24 set and a Yang Fan set.

At both places, the groups are very friendly though it may take some time to establish more than a nodding relationship.

I have also found two good Tai Chi teachers in Chiang Mai, Julie Hastings (http://www.taichichiangmai.com) and Sam Wang (Sam Hong Sheng) (greatsam88@hotmail.com). Julie is a good instructor for those new to Tai Chi and her rates are quite reasonable. Sam's rates are much higher, he is not as social as Julie, but is immensely knowledgeable and an international stature judge.

This is Sam...

[youtube:24j8y70e]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWiAKZHI2Jw[/youtube:24j8y70e]

PeterUK
August 21st, 2010, 11:13
Dodger, I believe you know Mim at NS Travel in Sunee. She goes to a Tai Chi group nearly every day and should be able to help you.

Dodger
August 21st, 2010, 11:30
Thanks for the feedback:

Bigben...that link is very helpful...thanks.

Peter, I'm friends with Mim and will stop in and talk to her my first day in town...thanks as well.

Rainwalker wrote:

a group of 20 - 40 people gather at Buak Had, the park on SW corner of the inside the moat (and across the moat from Suan Prung, the psychiatric hospital) to do 3 sets, Yang 24, Yang 42, and Yang 82

I was getting exited for a minute - but I'm really interested in Yang 47...hehehehe...thanks.

Smiles
August 23rd, 2010, 19:28
For Dodger, I think that would be Yang 9" :tard:

Dodger
August 24th, 2010, 06:32
555...Actually my preferred style is Yang 69.'