PDA

View Full Version : Airport Train

August 17th, 2010, 10:17
Hi

Has anyone been on the new train from the airport yet?
Was it good? Quick? Easy?

Any pointers?

quiet1
August 17th, 2010, 10:48
Has it started full service yet? ISTR that the Queen's Birthday (Aug 12) was supposed to be the official opening.

Or, is it still operating (for free!) just on a trial basis in the morning and mid-afternoon?

Beachlover
August 17th, 2010, 11:50
I wonder how successful it will be.

Taxis to the city centre are only 250 baht. To attract customers it would either need to be faster (not going to be the case) or significantly cheaper than the already-cheap taxis.

I can't see too many foreigners going through the hassle of a longer and non-direct trip and lugging their luggage around only save 50 baht... Seeing as most would have to get a connecting taxi to their accommodation at the end anyway.

llz
August 17th, 2010, 14:32
It has just been confirmed that the Airport Link will begin commercial services next Monday.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/191471/airport-link-to-collect-fares-next-week

I agree with the fact that when arriving with huge luggage, taxi should stay a far better option unless your hotel is very close to any stop. However it should make it easier to go to the airport for a short trip with only hand-luggage, or for welcoming someone, or for coming back when you have just sent someone.

August 17th, 2010, 15:36
Ha. Well I obviously always pay way too much for Taxis. Lol

I think that when I get there I will get a taxi to the hotel but maybe when I go to pick up my mate from the airport I will go on the train and see what its like.

Thanks for posting. Ilz I always appreciate your input, I love your blog and often take your advice.

August 17th, 2010, 16:01
Can you get from Makkasan to Victory Monument with a connecting train does anyone kno?

cdnmatt
August 17th, 2010, 16:06
To attract customers it would either need to be faster (not going to be the case) or significantly cheaper than the already-cheap taxis.

Yeah, I never understood that either. Why put such a huge sum of money into something, when it's not even going to be better or faster? People aren't going to use mass transit just to reduce CO2 or traffic congestion. They don't give a shit about that.

Vancouver did it right. They just opened the new Canada Line last fall. It's about an hour to drive from the airport to downtown, but the Canada Line only takes like 25 minutes, or something.

August 17th, 2010, 16:49
Where this train will come into play is the connecting points to other parts of the country. Is there a fast train service to Pattaya from Bangkok or the airport?

August 17th, 2010, 16:51
Isn't it just nice to have the choice?

llz
August 17th, 2010, 17:18
Can you get from Makkasan to Victory Monument with a connecting train does anyone kno?
I don't think so.
From what I read on their website, passengers who wish to travel to Suvarnabhumi Airport have two options of service:
1. SA Express, a train service that transports passenger from City Air Terminal or Makkasan Station to Suvarnabhumi Airport within 15 minutes without stopping at any station along the way. Interval : 15 minutes
2. City Line, a train service that transports passengers between Phyathai Station and Suvarnabhumi Airport within 30 minutes and stops at every station long the way - including Makkasan . Interval : 20 minutes

That means that connecting from the BTS network (via a footbridge in Phayathai BTS station which is currently not yet finsished ) will be only possible with the slower City Line except if you hop on the City Line to Makkasan and from there on the Express line.

In other words, there is no direct train from Makkasan to Victory Monument ; you will have to use the SRT City Line to Phayathai and then the BTS to Victory Monument or any other station.

By the way there are minibuses going from Victory Munument to Suwannaphum Airport.

pong
August 17th, 2010, 17:28
yes, I've used it-in the first week of free trial operation-early june.
As per 23/8=next week the full service will roll out. daily, every day, from 6.00-early morning till 24.00 (last departure=midnight.
It has been explained about a few 100 times: there are THEN 2=TWO types of trains:
express to Makkasan-100 bt/single-special introduction fare, till 31/12, non stop, in 20 mins-or so-ev. 20 mins. NO check-in at MKS yet possible.
MKsn will be linked to MRT nearby-but that is NOT yet done. Cars look like f.e. Heathrow express-normal seats+luggage racks.
All stops-to Phayathai-with MSN as an intermediate stop. Connects at P-thai with BTS. By then ev 20 mins-in about 28 mins total time. Special low fare (now free till sun coming)-15 or 20? THB/single. Direct walkway to BTS under construction. Cars look same as skytrain-few seats.
Again; this is NOT BTS=Skytrain, even if it looks same-same from a distance (f.e. this train has overhead wires). It is a special division of that open-air rolling museum otherwise, the SRT=State railways.
I predict the allstops will be full to the hilt-but not from airport, but other nearby stops. The express -you may have the car for yourself/or your party.
What will happen with the numerous minivans to swampy from many places, incl. Vict.Monument-wait and see, I think no change really. but FROM Swampy you can only take these from the bus-centre-another (free) busride and thus yet another change needed. Same-same minibuses also run to tesco/Onnut=BTS, to Happyland, Minburi, Samrong-PakNam and more places.

Beachlover
August 17th, 2010, 19:32
Yeah, I never understood that either. Why put such a huge sum of money into something, when it's not even going to be better or faster? People aren't going to use mass transit just to reduce CO2 or traffic congestion. They don't give a shit about that.

Exactly... it's either got to be better (safer or more comfortable?), faster or cheaper. I suppose it'll be cheaper but not by much.

Vancouver did it right. They just opened the new Canada Line last fall. It's about an hour to drive from the airport to downtown, but the Canada Line only takes like 25 minutes, or something.

Yeah, in two situations it makes sense... When travel time is quite long a fast or high-speed train can speed up the transit. Or where getting a taxi is expensive like in London or Sydney... but then this means you need to charge significantly less than a taxi, which lowers your ROI.

I think the private-equity built airport train line in Sydney (a massive investment) was a commercial failure.

Beachlover
August 17th, 2010, 19:40
yes, I've used it-in the first week of free trial operation-early june.
As per 23/8=next week the full service will roll out. daily, every day, from 6.00-early morning till 24.00 (last departure=midnight.
It has been explained about a few 100 times: there are THEN 2=TWO types of trains:
express to Makkasan-100 bt/single-special introduction fare, till 31/12, non stop, in 20 mins-or so-ev. 20 mins. NO check-in at MKS yet possible.
MKsn will be linked to MRT nearby-but that is NOT yet done. Cars look like f.e. Heathrow express-normal seats+luggage racks.
All stops-to Phayathai-with MSN as an intermediate stop. Connects at P-thai with BTS. By then ev 20 mins-in about 28 mins total time. Special low fare (now free till sun coming)-15 or 20? THB/single. Direct walkway to BTS under construction. Cars look same as skytrain-few seats.
Again; this is NOT BTS=Skytrain, even if it looks same-same from a distance (f.e. this train has overhead wires). It is a special division of that open-air rolling museum otherwise, the SRT=State railways.
I predict the allstops will be full to the hilt-but not from airport, but other nearby stops. The express -you may have the car for yourself/or your party.
What will happen with the numerous minivans to swampy from many places, incl. Vict.Monument-wait and see, I think no change really. but FROM Swampy you can only take these from the bus-centre-another (free) busride and thus yet another change needed. Same-same minibuses also run to tesco/Onnut=BTS, to Happyland, Minburi, Samrong-PakNam and more places.

I guess the question is, factoring in waiting time and changing trains, how long is the journey from Swampy to say, Silom or Saladaeng Station?

Taxis usually take between 30 to 40 minutes... I think it took me 45 minutes once when the traffic was quite bad.

billy2bs
August 17th, 2010, 22:51
Yes it all sems nice. But I will never get to use it since my plane trip from USA gets in at midnite and the retun flights go out at 6 am. So at midnight the taxi zipps in to Sukkumvit are in 15 20 mins at about 300-400 Baht net. O well maybe I will just take the ride just to see what it is like,
'
Billy

quiet1
August 19th, 2010, 18:41
I used it yesterday, from airport to city (Phaya Thai) in the morning and returning in the afternoon. The trains were *packed* in both directions, 99% Thai. Not sure if they are using it only because it's free, or if they will continue to use when a charge applies.

vpnoy
August 20th, 2010, 02:10
I used it yesterday, from airport to city (Phaya Thai) in the morning and returning in the afternoon. The trains were *packed* in both directions, 99% Thai. Not sure if they are using it only because it's free, or if they will continue to use when a charge applies.

I understand from previous posts that the direct walk way from Phaya Thai station to BTS is still under construction. Even without a direct walk way, is there a way to get from the airport train platform over to BTS platform at Phaya Thai?

Andrew.

quiet1
August 20th, 2010, 12:30
The elevated walkway connecting the two stations is 90% done. If the workers work through the weekend, I think it might be finished by Monday's opening. If not, I'd say within the first couple days of full operation it should be open. The ticket booths are standing ready and waiting for connecting passengers.

vpnoy
September 4th, 2010, 09:13
The elevated walkway connecting the two stations is 90% done. If the workers work through the weekend, I think it might be finished by Monday's opening. If not, I'd say within the first couple days of full operation it should be open. The ticket booths are standing ready and waiting for connecting passengers.
Anyone knows if the connecting walkway to BTS at Phayathai station is operational?

-Andrew.

pong
September 5th, 2010, 16:49
from what I read in real travellers fora:
open yes, but functional only in 1 way; TO AP-train from BTS, as the ticket-entry-gates on BTS are not yet in place there.

September 22nd, 2010, 02:45
from what I read in real travellers fora:
open yes, but functional only in 1 way; TO AP-train from BTS, as the ticket-entry-gates on BTS are not yet in place there.Any update?

nanette
September 22nd, 2010, 09:29
Last weekend I took the train from Suvarnambhum airport to Phaya Thai station. Ticket price was 15baht only one way(probably their introductory fare), trains at 15-minute intervals(stopping at 5 or 6 stations along the way), quite comfortable & not too crowded. Journey took approx. 30 minutes.
At Phaya Thai station, I had to take the elevator to an upper level to connect with the Skytrain, the connecting walkway was less than 100M long. It was an easy connection if one has light luggage.
It took me less than 1 hour to get to my hotel, and the total cost was only 40baht, one way from the airport to Chong Nonsi station in Silom.

I did not use the direct non-stop train to Makkasan station which cost around 100baht & faster.

bucknaway
August 15th, 2011, 04:45
Since my flight gets in at 9:10 PM, I will be able to take the express train from the airport into the city since the train runs up till midnight. I am looking forward to trying it. I plan to use the express train on my return to the airport on my flight home.

So as it stands now, I get in on Thursday and will check into Babylon for 2 night. Then I will change hotels for 2 more nights and on Monday I make my way to Pattaya for a few weeks before I return to Bangkok. :headbang:

August 15th, 2011, 10:58
The Express Train has two destinations - from the airport, you will need to select the destination you want to go to as they use separate trains. The destinations are Makasan Station or Phayathai Station. The fare is 150 Baht for both - it is also good for a round trip provided the return is made within 2 weeks. They will take a portion of the ticket when you enter the escalator to the Express train platform - keep the rest of the ticket if you plan to use the Express Train back to the Airport within the 2 week period.

Makasan station - not much around it - you may have to walk a ways to find a taxi (follow the signs for MRT - subway station) - not recommended if you have much in the way of luggage.

Phayathai station - short walk to connect with the Skytrain - should be able to catch a taxi outside the station without difficulty.

I drove to the Airport last week, parked the car, and took the train into Bangkok -- my farang friend wanted to do some shopping and I had a doctors appointment at Bangkok Medical Center - so we went to Makasan - I then caught a taxi to the Center and he went to the MRT as his first shopping stop was near a subway station. My friend suggested we use the Express train - nicer seats and about a 13 minute ride. The Express Trains run every 30 minutes - we should have had a 20 minute wait - but the train had technical difficulties - it finally arrived about 30 minutes late - we boarded the train and then sat there for another 20 minutes or so before it finally left the Airport station (my guess is they had to wait for their next scheduled departure time - both Express and City Line trains use the same tracks). The Phayathai train came and went from the opposite side of the platform and seemed to be operating on schedule.

We returned in the afternoon, catching the Express train at Phayathai station (return portion of ticket can be used at either Phayathai or Makasan stations). No problems on the return.

thonglor55
August 15th, 2011, 13:42
There's other detailed information in this thread (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/airport-express-bus-t20938-15.html)

vpnoy
August 23rd, 2011, 11:14
I will be arriving in BKK in about 4 weeks. I had always take the taxi and don't mind the fare. But this time I thought I'd try out the train for the experience.

Yraen
August 23rd, 2011, 13:09
Hmmm, in February, I used the trains systems to get from Krung Thonburi BTS station, via Siam to Phayathai then Suvarnabhumi. I had a small roller bag and my small backpack.

It cost me 50B in a taxi from my apartment, 35B on the BTS and 45B from Payathai to Suv on the "all-stops". Total time, about 60-70 minutes (I had allowed 90 mins). All the ramp-ways and escalators connecting the BTS to the Suv service were in place and the trains were both 'chockers' (it was the start of the afternoon peak period).

Given this was my first experience of the Suv service, there was a bit of 'exploring' to do so I was probably a bit slow walking from one place to the next. However, I found the experience was good, the travel time was approx equal to a taxi, I got to see 'new' parts of Bangkok and the total cost was very competitive with a taxi.

If I arrive after 23:00, then a taxi is the only choice. The cost for that should be 200-300B + tolls of 70B (depending on traffic delays); anything more than that and the taxi driver is 'having a lend of you'. PS: Make sure they start the meter before they pull away from the taxi rank.

After seeing a friend off from the airport the previous week, I also travelled in the other direction (off-peak, just me, no baggage) and I chose to walk from Krung Thonburi to my apartment - the walk added 15 mins to the trip and I was in the apartment in about 90 mins.

In daylight hours and until about 23:00 it a convenient alternative (maybe a 'no-brainer') IMO.
Try it, you might like it. :hello2:

pong
August 23rd, 2011, 16:59
correction to above:
the current special fare for the 2 expresses is 90 bt SINGLE or 150 Bt RETURN_valid 2 weeks (or 15 days).
the fare for the all-stops and often heavily crowded (from stops after airport-many large uni's there) all the way is 45 bt now (or 35 bt till Makkasan). The walkways into BTS@Phiyathai are now all fine since a long time. All routes: first train at 6.00-or just after and last at 0.00-or 2/3 min around.
BTS has since 12/8 been extended from Onnut along Sukhumvit till soi Baring near Samrong-but that is in fact somehow the driction toward the airport too. Walk from Makasan till MRT=-subway, metro is still unmade, via streets and a railway crossing. You do NOT have to cross that 6-lane Asoke road though-as many wrongly think (enrtance to MRT is sided other way). on MRT there is always a thorough airline-style luggage check.
if take train-at airprot use eyes and be attentive as to which side you choose-left for express, right for allstops (=Cityrail)

corky
August 24th, 2011, 19:51
Where this train will come into play is the connecting points to other parts of the country.

Please explain. Are you refering to Thailand? :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Is there a fast train service to Pattaya from Bangkok or the airport?

Yes ... it takes nearly 4 hours!

The State Railway of Thailand offers daily train services departing Bangkok's Hualumpong Station at 07:00 a.m. and arrive in Pattaya at 10:45 a.m. On return the train departs Pattaya at 02:50 p.m. and arrive Bangkok at 6:35 p.m. No advance ticketing is available by the State Railway of Thailand, so passengers who wish to travel to/from Pattaya by train have to purchase the ticket on the travel dates.
http://www.asia-discovery.com/pattaya/transport.htm

morse
August 26th, 2011, 09:16
The airport link is a great asset to Bangkok and I use it exclusively during its operational hours if it coincides with my flight schedule. I use the city line and-contrary to some posts-it is a fast way to get to the heart of the city. I get off at Phaya Thai and it is a short walk to the BTS station-all in the same well marked complex-and then to my hotel. I travel light (just an over-the-shoulder carry on, no matter if I am traveling two weeks or two months) so luggage has never been an issue. Who wants to schlep mounds of luggage around Asia?
On fall flights from the US which arrive near midnight, the link will have closed by the time one gets through customs and then of course it is a cab with toll,etc. I much prefer to rail link.

cameroncat
August 26th, 2011, 13:09
Fall flights from US arrive at Midnight? Thai Flights from LAX always arrive early in the morning, regardless of the season. Most EVA flights are the same. Pretty easy to avoid arriving late at night...

morse
August 27th, 2011, 12:24
Yes, there are obviously many flights into Bangkok throughout the day. The flight I take arrives at 11:30 PM in the fall (and an hour earlier PDT). I fly from the northwest (PDX-NRT-BKK) on Delta on purpose to avoid customs , imigration and the terminal from hell at LAX on the return flight in favor of the more civil and sane folks to the north. So if it is PDT I take rail link downtown and if it is PST I take a taxi.

Beachlover
August 31st, 2011, 22:48
I much prefer to rail link.
I've yet to try the airport train but I'm curious why you prefer it... Is it faster than a cab?

Hmmm, in February, I used the trains systems to get from Krung Thonburi BTS station, via Siam to Phayathai then Suvarnabhumi...It cost me 50B in a taxi from my apartment, 35B on the BTS and 45B from Payathai to Suv on the "all-stops". Total time, about 60-70 minutes (I had allowed 90 mins).In daylight hours and until about 23:00 it a convenient alternative (maybe a 'no-brainer') IMO.
60-70 mins by train but wouldn't it have been only 45 mins at most by cab and without the getting on and off?

thonglor55
September 1st, 2011, 09:37
Fall flights from US arrive at Midnight? Thai Flights from LAX always arrive early in the morning, regardless of the season. Most EVA flights are the same. Pretty easy to avoid arriving late at night...The United Airways flight is scheduled to arrive between 11pm and midnight.

September 27th, 2011, 10:39
I decided to try the airport train a few weeks ago coming from Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

At 18:30, AirAsia from PNH landed. There were only a few people in lines at immigration. It took me less than 5 min to clear immigration. I waited for my luggage then I went downstairs to the train gate and paid 45bth for the City Line to Phayathai station.

At 19:20, the train departed. At Phayathai station. I took the elevator down. Walked over to the BTS gate, purchased my ticket to Chong Nonsi station (40bth). After a short wait (less than 5 min), I boarded the On Nut direction train. At Siam station, I transferred to the Silom line. Then after arriving at Chong Nonsi station, I walked to my hotel.

At 20:10, I was at the hotel lobby.

So from the time the train departed at the airport to the time I reached my hotel lobby (including tickets purchasing time, train waiting time, walk time) it took 50 minutes, and it costs 85bth.

I had a back pack, and a cabin size rolling luggage. It was pretty easy... as long as it is not raining!

Beachlover
September 28th, 2011, 00:44
Sounds reasonable... you must've been waiting ages for your checked luggage if it took 40 minutes between landing and buying your train ticket.

vpnoy
September 28th, 2011, 02:52
Sounds reasonable... you must've been waiting ages for your checked luggage if it took 40 minutes between landing and buying your train ticket.

Actually, it was probably only about 10-15 min wait for the luggage.

AirAsia does not have a direct walk way connecting the plane to the terminal. You have to disembark the plane then take a bus (provided by AirAsia, which was waiting). The bus then take you to an arrival gate; then you take the escalator up one level to immigration.

So the plane landed at 16:30, but add in the plane taxi time, bus time and walk time, I did not reach immigration desk until about 16:50. Another 10-15 min wait for the luggage. Then walk time to the Cityline ticket box and purchase the ticket. I remember that I got onto the Cityline train at 17:15 and it departed at 17:20.

Beachlover
September 29th, 2011, 01:18
Ah, fair enough. Yes, AirAsia can be a pain in some places you land where it's like that. I was thinking of international or other airline arrivals where you get to gate pretty quickly and shoot straight out into the immigration area.