PDA

View Full Version : Taung Byone Festival (Myanmar Aug 18 - 23)

August 12th, 2010, 18:01
There seems to have been some confusion over this year as to dates. It looks like the Myanmar (Burma) Taungbyone Festival (aka "Festival of the Nats", aka Myanmar "Gay" Festival), starts next week (Aug 18-23, "best days" maybe 19 and 20).

I guess they are adjusting to the "New Calendar of Myanmar" which is why it doesn't seem to be on the days leading up to the full moon.

I think you could probably get a flight (ETicket), a visa, and a hotel in Yangon to start (from the Hotel Kiosk at the Yangon airport - I'm assuming it's still there), and arrange transport to Mandalay in a couple days. Myanmar visa regulations have changed, farang visas can be obtained easily at the airport and although no one has told me it went well, I have heard no complaints.

Travel to Myanmar is different. There are many things to consider. There is a lot of discussion of this elsewhere on this forum (I am at a very slow internet connection right now and don't have the pATienCe to search for links now, apologies). Information years old probably still applies! Also there is a recent discussion on the Gay Thailand board outside Thailand forum including an exhaustive discussion of the correctness of traveling to Myanmar (that is if that forum is still there).

I am hearing that Thai baht is as equally accepted as US dollars or Euros for "local" exchange now. (But if you need to get thai Baht out of an ATM then get it at or before the Bangkok airport ;-|)

There are applications you can already fill out on Myanmar Embassy websites. The following information on Myanmar and visas is consistent with what I read on the US State Dept site ...

Myanmar Visa On Arrival New Policy (with effect from 1st of May 2010)

Information Myanmar tourist visa can be obtained upon arrival at a fee of US$ 30 for 28-Day for all nationalities at Yangon International Airport and Mandalay International Airport
in case you do not have sufficient time to get visa at your country.

(1)- Any nationals holding valid normal passport will be issued Visa On Arrival if being accordance with regulations.
(2)- Passport of the applicant must be valid at least 6 months starting after the date of arrival.
(3)- Visa On Arrival (for Tourist): fee USD 30 will be collected and will be permitted for 28 days. Application for renewal of Stay Permit is not allowed.
(4)- Visa On Arrival (for Business): fee USD 40 will be collected and will be permitted for 71 days. The application for renewal of Stay Permit can be submitted.
(5)- Visa On Arrival (for Social Visit): fee USD 40 will be collected and will be permitted for 28 days. The application for renewal of Stay Permit can be submitted.
(6)- Visa On Arrival (for Transit): fee: USD 18 will be collected and will be permitted for 24 hours.
(7)- Applicant must have a return air ticket to leave from Myanmar.
(8)- Applicant must stay in the licensed hotels, Motels or Guesthouses recognized by the Myanmar Government. The exact address of accommodation must be shown.
(9)- Those who have place to accommodate such as house of friends or relatives, Industry or Workshop must show the exact address of the host.
(10)- Applicant must bring two photos (4├Ч6 cm in size) being photographed within past 6 months
(11)- Applicant must undertake to follow all the existing rules and regulations including Myanmar Immigration ACT.
(12)- Children shown on the passport of the parents below 7 year of age will be permitted Visa for free. Children of Individual Passport Holder below 7 year of age will be permitted Visa for free.
(13)- Individual Traveler must be able to show at least USD 300 as belonging. Traveler (for Social Visit) must be able show at least USD 600 as belonging. Or Foreign Exchange equivalent to USD can be also shown.
(14)- Applicant must visit by observing the existing Myanmar Visa Regulations.
(15)- Unauthorized restricted areas are not allowed. Foreigners must be noticed about restricted areas.
(16)- During stay in Myanmar, applicant must report about the address of accommodation to the concerning Township Immigration Office through Hotel, Motel, Inn, Guesthouse, home or office where he/she stays.
(17)- Applicant can get the application form for Visa On Arrival from the airlines or On Line.

pong
August 12th, 2010, 18:19
VoA=visum on arrival: yes, it is reported to work well, also the airlines know about it (as otherwise they would not give you a boarding pass) and the rules: 1.show 300US$ cash and 2.have a proper Hotel reservation, are not really enforced. However it cost a lot more as advance in BKK-so if you have time anyway, do it beforehand. But it is very, very wise to bring cash US$
as2. MONEY in EXCELLENT-preferably non-folded, not any mark or crease on them and NO serial CB numbers is all exchanged at the ''black'' market-your friendly taxidriver or hotelpeople will also do that-or know where to. Do not change on the streets if approached-this will be a rip-off. As its all non-bank, rates fluctuate enormously and are highest in central Yangon. Also: hotels, all trains and entries have to be paid in US$. Food and buses and purchases in Kyat=the local and quite filthy papermoney. Find current approx rate on a site like irrawaddy.com
тВм or THB may be taken-sometimes, in some places only, but always at the (do the math) much lower rate as US$-you will always loose out on that.
There is also a 10US$ cash Airprot tax on EXIT.
Current AirAsia again has one of its promotions-return BKK-RGN for less as 2000THB-but not for that soon.