PDA

View Full Version : Hotel at Khao Yai

August 12th, 2010, 15:48
Hi

Thanks for all your help on my other tour related questions.

We are going to spend a day or so at Khao Yai.
Would prefer a hotel or place to stay inside the park.

Do you have any experiences of Khao Yai?
Suggestions?
I guess there are not any gay places to stay there? LOL

Thanks

ceejay
August 13th, 2010, 02:15
Staying in Khao Yai is on the "to do" list. I intend to do it but haven't actually done it yet. The National Parks Authority have some guest chalets in there:
http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve
If you do book one, let us know how you get on, please.
For some reason, I can't get the direct link to the Khao Yai accomodation to work. Click on "English" when you follow the link, then "National Park" in the links on the left, then the link to Khao Yai.

August 13th, 2010, 05:03
I stay here:
http://www.ecovalleylodge.com/
Nice people, few fix residents, very peaceful place.
First I book two bungalows and did not find them so comfortable, did change for a villa. The villa have kitchen if you want to make yourself a meal.
No shops around, very quiet you will need a car to go main town (Pakchong)
Khao Yai is not city living but nature, no bars there.

bigben
August 13th, 2010, 19:20
Was up in that area a few months ago. It's a very lovely area but not city life in anyway shape or form. There are in fact places to have a drink or three but more of your Ma & Pa type places. Lots of Hi-So over built resorts about 2 clicks from the national park which is at the very end of the road as you drive into the Khao Yai area.

I got the impression Khao Yai (and the major resorts in the area) are where all your Hi-So Thais go on the week-end and holidays to get out of the big smoke....only a 3 hour drive from BKK.

This was just a stop over point for us on our way to Udon Thani & Nong Khai and we didn't have time (or energy) to check out the National park during our two day/night stay.

We stayed at a Mom & Pop type place with about 10 bunglows and seemed gay friendly. Had an cafe that served Italian & Thai food (no air cond) across the street.

Not sure if you are staying in the Hi-So resorts or at the smaller places. I have no idea what the name of the resort is that we stayed but it was just before all the major resorts start on the right hand side driving in from Pak Chong. They were wooden bunglows with bright blue roofs across from the cafe/bar with Italian and Thai food. Tell them the guy at the cafe sent ya and you just may get it for 500b a night instead of 800b. More during holiday times. The Hi-So resorts start at 1500b.

I always stay at the little places when bouncing around this lovely country because I feel trapped in the big resorts. The Ma & Pa places allow one to walk around and explore the area/neighborhoods which can be very interesting. (Or maybe it's because I am a cheap azz)

There is apparently a vineyard called MAXIMUS in the area and some cafes & shops sell the local wine and grape juice. The grape juice was wonderful.

They were widening the road from Pak Chong to Khao Yai when we were there but the green peace movement stopped that plan half way through so I have no idea what the road situation is. It was a mess while the crews were chopping down all the trees to make a four lane highway.

I wish I could post some pics but the trick to do that is way above my abilities. And please spare me the instructions on how easy it is. I have tried many times.

Enjoy your trip and yes, you need a car in this area unlike BKK & Pattaya.