PDA

View Full Version : Blood Diamond Parties

August 9th, 2010, 21:23
I have a new business concept which I would like to offer all readers on here, and tell me what you think. Blood Diamond parties. Noami gave me the idea. The only thing is the blood diamonds would be Jomtien beach pebbles!!

August 9th, 2010, 21:46
I have a new business concept which I would like to offer all readers on here, and tell me what you think. Blood Diamond parties. Noami gave me the idea. The only thing is the blood diamonds would be Jomtien beach pebbles!!

I do take it that your business dealings always ended in failure?

Beachlover
August 9th, 2010, 22:03
I don't get it... Must be lame or stupid.

August 9th, 2010, 22:30
Its the case on Charles Taylor on whether is guilty or not or war crimes. Naomi Campbell, Carol White and Mia Farrow have given evidence on whether diamonds were used to fund the war/alleged crimes during Taylor's rein. The name blood comes from how they were obtained, allegedly through blood sweat and tears. Coverage in on BBC 24 and has been "on" literally all day today with Farrow and White in the witness box. I suspect you cannot receive BBC 24 in Thailand, or its probably the Asian version, you can view though if you have VPN network i.e. viewing through the UK internat via a proxy server. Hence, blood diamonds seemed to be the "in" word.

August 9th, 2010, 22:40
'Blood Diamonds' is used to describe diamonds mined, maybe using forced labour, then sold on to fund illegal wars resulting in the untold murder of civilians and not through "Blood, Sweat and Tears" as in working to mine them.

Wesley
August 9th, 2010, 23:00
I think it was meant to be taken tongue in cheek. he wasn't serious it was a joke.

August 10th, 2010, 00:04
I think WD should stick with his idiot friends on GTT and avoid posting on this board as it is only for intellectuals like Wesley

soi_toi
August 10th, 2010, 00:36
Hardly original.

You wouldn't be the first greedy, ignorant and oppressive foreigner to flaunt your stolen wealth in front those families who's fathers and sons, some nothing more than dead corpses now, whom you walked over to obtain your fortune.

Pardon me, I forgot to add coward. Since there is probably little or no diamond mining in Thailand, your fortune was probably extracted from some other third would country who's slave labour pool doesn't get to see how their contribution to your well being benefits you.

Regardless, your suggestion, humour or otherwise, is of extremely poor taste.

Smiles
August 10th, 2010, 06:00
" ... You wouldn't be the first greedy, ignorant and oppressive foreigner to flaunt your stolen wealth in front those families who's fathers and sons, some nothing more than dead corpses now, whom you walked over to obtain your fortune.
Pardon me, I forgot to add coward. Since there is probably little or no diamond mining in Thailand, your fortune was probably extracted from some other third would country who's slave labour pool doesn't get to see how their contribution to your well being benefits you.
Regardless, your suggestion, humour or otherwise, is of extremely poor taste ... "
Glad I read further before I foolishly posted the question " ... who the hell is Naomi? ... ".
However, a Mad Magazine satirical bent ~ though not, I agree, a great one ~ has been broken in half by the ever so PC'ers of Soi Toi (wherever that is? Off Sukhumvit perhaps?).
What gets the eyeballs to a-rollin' faster, a good laugh at the Horrors of this World, or a puritan S&A scowl from Baht Stop? :angry4:

Sawatdee is often ~ shall we say it? ~ a diamond mine of delicious bungkom. Even more so (sometimes) than BS.

soi_toi
August 10th, 2010, 06:55
Hypothetically speaking, of course. :boxing:

catawampuscat
August 10th, 2010, 07:16
have we run out of "new topics" ?
I better be careful here or I will suspect myself of being one of the
"one sentence" trolls recently exorcised from this forum by the mods... :headbang:

Beachlover
August 10th, 2010, 07:24
Its the case on Charles Taylor on whether is guilty or not or war crimes. Naomi Campbell, Carol White and Mia Farrow have given evidence on whether diamonds were used to fund the war/alleged crimes during Taylor's rein. The name blood comes from how they were obtained, allegedly through blood sweat and tears. Coverage in on BBC 24 and has been "on" literally all day today with Farrow and White in the witness box. I suspect you cannot receive BBC 24 in Thailand, or its probably the Asian version, you can view though if you have VPN network i.e. viewing through the UK internat via a proxy server. Hence, blood diamonds seemed to be the "in" word.

Yes I know what blood diamonds are and about the Charles Taylor case...

I just don't see what's humorous about the connection...

August 10th, 2010, 07:40
'Blood Diamonds' is used to describe diamonds mined, maybe using forced labour, then sold on to fund illegal wars resulting in the untold murder of civilians and not through "Blood, Sweat and Tears" as in working to mine them.

What! I take it you are just joking combat. Splitting hairs maybe!

soi_toi
August 10th, 2010, 07:47
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_diamond

Those f'n Canadians, party poopers. So PC!

Canadian policy

During the 1990s diamond rich areas were discovered in Northern Canada. Canada is one of the key players in the diamond industry. Partnership Africa Canada was created in 1986 to help with the crisis in Africa. This organization is also part of the Diamond Development Initiative. The Diamond Development Initiative helps improve and regulate the legal diamond industry.

The Kimberley Process was initiated in May 2000 by South Africa. Canada was a major supporter of passing this. Canada has passed several laws that help stop the trade of conflict diamonds. The laws deal with the export and import of rough diamonds, and also how they are transferred. In December 2002 the Export and Import of Rough Diamonds Act was passed by the Canadian government. This act acts as a system that helps control the importing, exporting and transporting of rough diamonds through Canada. The Export and Import of Rough Diamonds also states that the Kimberley Process is the minimum requirement of certifying rough diamonds and a certificate is also required for all shipments of diamonds. This certificate is called the Canadian Certificate, it gives permission for an officer to seize any shipment of diamonds that don't meet the requirements of the Export and Import of Rough Diamonds Act.[31]

The Government of the Northwest Territories of Canada (GNWT) also has a unique certification program. They offer a Government certificate on all diamonds that are mined, cut, and polished, in the Northwest Territories of Canada. Each diamond is also laser inscribed and recorded in a database. To obtain this certificate one must cut and polish the diamond in the NWT.