PDA

View Full Version : BKK: Drinks at GOD

thrillbill
August 8th, 2010, 18:09
This warning is for those who hit the late nightlife in Silom and may go to GOD (Guys On Display) Silom, soi 2.5

My thai buddies and I like to hit GOD after DJ station-- we find GOD our favorite place with its good music, eye candy, and room to breath (except for the cigarette smoke). The last few months it seems that the drinks are watered down... Last night for sure, my drink did not have one drop of Vodka in it, so I went up to the waiter to complain (no results). The second time I needed a drink, I went up to the bar to make sure the Vodka was put into the soda... about half a shot was put into it. Maybe my taste buds are too use to the strong drinks (and cheaper ones) that DJ makes, but GOD is certainly not into customer service after talking to the manager who sits outside the entrance glued to his seat.

August 8th, 2010, 18:23
Pack a flask or purchase a bottle if it is that important?

August 8th, 2010, 18:30
Doesn't surprise me.

There's a variation on this in some GoGo bars where they don't even bother to water the drinks - if you have a Thai boy with you (not necessarily even one of the staff) and he asks for say a Vodka and Coke, you can be sure that it will be almost if not totally devoid of any Vodka whatsoever. Of course, they know that being Thai he is highly unlikely to say anything.

However, I now play the game and in a situation like that I would order 1 coke (ostensibly for the boy) and 2 str8 vodkas for me. Then once it has all been delivered I divide the coke between our drinks. OK its a bit of a palaver but at least you get what you've ordered and avoids any confrontation. Also lets the boy know you are not a total idiot.

It's sad that you have to do things like this and also checking the seal if you buy a Bottle of spirits. It's got to the stage where I even check the seal on bottles of water served as mixers - as I would not put it past some places to re-fill them from the tap

:hello1:

August 8th, 2010, 18:44
Also lets the boy know you are not a total idiot.

Perhaps, but it also communicates to the boy that a) you are a skinflint, and b) you are most likely an alcoholic.

August 8th, 2010, 18:48
[quote="scottish-guy":1uzempxl]Also lets the boy know you are not a total idiot.

Perhaps, but it also communicates to the boy that a) you are a skinflint, and b) you are most likely an alcoholic.[/quote:1uzempxl]

If he is a prick that jumps to ridiculous conclusions maybe.

Beachlover
August 8th, 2010, 18:57
Thanks for the warning ThrillBill.

I'm not usually out to get plastered at GOD so, whilst I still expect my drink made right, alcoholic content isn't that much of a concern for me.

I think it's more about the principle of it all. Nobody likes to be deceived and ripped off, even if it puts them at no detriment.

August 8th, 2010, 20:06
[quote="Goldy Lox":19uywaby][quote="scottish-guy":19uywaby]Also lets the boy know you are not a total idiot.

Perhaps, but it also communicates to the boy that a) you are a skinflint, and b) you are most likely an alcoholic.[/quote:19uywaby]

If he is a prick that jumps to ridiculous conclusions maybe.[/quote:19uywaby]

It has nothing to do with being a prick.

What was described is a VERY un-Thai thing to do, and will reflect poorly on you in front of your new friend -- not the opposite.

August 8th, 2010, 21:40
Goldy, I'm not trying to be offensive but I don't know what kind of Thais you hang out with that would prefer to see you ripped off rather than get what you paid for - certainly not the type I know.

I cannot even buy a lighter from a street stall with out the Thai with me telling me quite indignantly that I should have asked for a discount or that it was too expensive.

Have you never been in a bar where your Thai friend took all the papers out the check bin and added them all up before letting you pay, or pointing out to waiter that the total was wrong?

August 8th, 2010, 21:45
Goldy, I'm not trying to be offensive but I don't know what kind of Thais you hang out with that would prefer to see you ripped off rather than get what you paid for - certainly not the type I know.

I cannot even buy a lighter from a street stall with out the Thai with me telling me quite indignantly that I should have asked for a discount or that it was too expensive.

Have you never been in a bar where your Thai friend took all the papers out the check bin and added them all up before letting you pay, or pointing out to waiter that the total was wrong?

We were talking about bar boys in a gogo bar.

I stand by my opinion that what was described would be viewed as extremely petty and uncouth.

You are welcome to yours.

dab69
August 8th, 2010, 23:43
which explains my recent drinking record during my last vacation.

tried to suck up to the handsome bartender (mustache)
at GOD with BIG tips but no avail.

Being used to some go go bars drinks having little alcohol,
it's like when you find a bar with real alcohol
they're trying to get you DRUNK so you will off a boy,. is that cheating? :)

pack a flask or a pint, call the rest mixer
or get a "set".

christianpfc
August 9th, 2010, 02:51
How lucky I am to be a teetoaller (well, not completely, I drink an equvialent of 2 or 3 litres of beer per year if there is group pressure)! I couldn't care less how much whisky or whatever they put into the drinks.

August 9th, 2010, 03:04
How lucky I am to be a teetoaller (well, not completely, I drink an equvialent of 2 or 3 litres of beer per year if there is group pressure)! I couldn't care less how much whisky or whatever they put into the drinks.

Great to know you're not just self-centred then.

Hope they re-fill your bottled water from the tap.

:occasion9:

Diec
August 9th, 2010, 05:50
I don't understand...people on this board would never stand to be ripped off in their home countries. They would say something, however, in Thailand, we're supposed to stay quiet when getting ripped off to save "face"? If I pay for something I want what I'm paying for.

Beachlover
August 9th, 2010, 06:46
How lucky I am to be a teetoaller

Oh dude... Combined with your trip report... That's not a good picture LOL.

soi_toi
August 9th, 2010, 09:21
We have a Liquor Control Board that regulates liquor licenses.
Licensed established here are required to serve mixed drinks with a minimum of 1ounce of hard liquor for a single.
Because drink quality is so inconsistent in Thai bars, I've often wondered if there is such law in Thailand that requires establishments serving liquor to include a minimum amount.
If such a law does exist, it would seem it goes largely ignored.

Patexpat
August 9th, 2010, 11:53
I don't understand...people on this board would never stand to be ripped off in their home countries. They would say something, however, in Thailand, we're supposed to stay quiet when getting ripped off to save "face"? If I pay for something I want what I'm paying for.

yes indeed - and for those of you who are scared of 'losing face' - how do you think a Thai reacts to being ripped off?

August 9th, 2010, 13:09
People are plain daft when they are in Thailand. Yes, they won't be ripped off when they are in their home country. When in Thailand they just seem to ignore a lot of things. The Thais tend to ignore one's complaints and just shrug their shoulders but owe them 1 bht and, well you will know about it.

With respect to GOD, if it is true what they did, and I have no idea whether it is or not, you generally get the picture though if people say they have had the same experience at a relevant establishment and a pattern starts to emerge. All you can do, is post comments on a board like this and not visit the establishment again. The establishment will soon get the message.

I generally don't complain too much in Thailand because of the reason set out above, and there is a sort of barrier probably due to language barriers. As I have stated before in a post, I visited a restaurant in Bangkok, complained about something, nothing done after I complained, the owner made his comment (I think on here actually, so it does work). Ultimately, I didn't go there again, end of story. I am generally also aware of making complaints about food, for the main reason that if you send the food back, what they could possibly do with it. It has not been unknown for the cook or waiter to spit in your food after you have complained.

cdnmatt
August 9th, 2010, 14:13
how do you think a Thai reacts to being ripped off?

From my experiences, very polite and cordial. Well, until they get outside of the bar / restaurant -- then they're pretty pissy.

August 9th, 2010, 14:48
From my experiences, very polite and cordial. Well, until they get outside of the bar / restaurant -- then they're pretty pissy.

Now don't get me wrong Matt, but that kind of sounds like you when you lose a discussion/argument (Lost passport issue!) remember?

August 9th, 2010, 15:42
It has not been unknown for the cook or waiter to spit in your food after you have complained.

Was that a typo?

:rolling: :rolling:

thrillbill
August 9th, 2010, 17:54
-- I feel one may have a different reaction to getting "ripped off" when living here in Thailand, than when visiting as a tourist. As most farangs working in Thailand, my income can handle "water downed drinks"; however, it is the issue of SOME establishments purposely ripping off farangs thinking they are just "tourists" so won't say anything or notice a pattern of questionable poor service.

August 9th, 2010, 18:06
Most tourists coming for 2 weeks will be spending around ┬г2000/┬г3000 in 2 weeks- so they can stand the cost of watered down drinks as well.

It's the principle of the thing - whether your a resident OR a tourist or indeed a Thai! There are huge profits to be made in selling alchohol honestly - absolutely no need to rip people off.

:protest:

Marsilius
August 9th, 2010, 18:24
Beware another scam applicable to spirits and mixers...

If your drink is mixed out of your sight - e.g. at the bar while you remain in your seat - an unscrupulous barman will first invert an empty glass in a saucer of, say, gin and swirl it around a bit. He then turns the glass the right way up and adds tonic, but no more gin. It is then served to you and you will smell the gin from the rim as you drink it and may well be convinced (depending on how many you've had already that night?) that you are drinking an admittedly rather weak g&t.

The owner of a Pattaya bar told me that that is quite a common trick.

August 9th, 2010, 18:24
It has not been unknown for the cook or waiter to spit in your food after you have complained.

Was that a typo?

:rolling: :rolling:

No, it wasn't a typo, I mean it! Spit was definately the word.

Marsilius
August 9th, 2010, 18:27
"definately" must have been the typo, then...

August 9th, 2010, 18:29
Most tourists coming for 2 weeks will be spending around ┬г2000/┬г3000 in 2 weeks- so they can stand the cost of watered down drinks as well.

It's the principle of the thing - whether your a resident OR a tourist or indeed a Thai! There are huge profits to be made in selling alchohol honestly - absolutely no need to rip people off.

Er!!! You say in your first line, "so they can stand the cost ...", but then "no need to rip ....".

Which side of the fence are you on honesty or being ripped off?

August 9th, 2010, 18:30
-- I feel one may have a different reaction to getting "ripped off" when living here in Thailand, than when visiting as a tourist. As most farangs working in Thailand, my income can handle "water downed drinks"; however, it is the issue of SOME establishments purposely ripping off farangs thinking they are just "tourists" so won't say anything or notice a pattern of questionable poor service.

I am firmly on scottish-guys side when it comes to getting ripped off. It does not matter whether you are a resident or a tourist here or anywhere in the world. If you pay for a drink then that is what you should be getting not some watered down excuse for one.

You say that your "income can handle watered down drinks" then go on to say "it is the issue of some doing it solely because they think they are tourists" It's a rip off full stop, and if caught out doing it then it should be brought to their attention by the customer who, as I would do, should also leave and stop using the place.

August 9th, 2010, 19:49
The answer to short measures is simple - only go to bars that use the optic measures for serving. That way, you can see what the barman is doing when he is pouring your drink. I am pretty sure all the bars in Boyztown use them and all of the bars in Silom soi 4. Most gogo bars do not and leave it up to the judgment of the barman.

I have been to GOD and their drinks are definitely not the same strength as those served in DJ Station ... and they are more expensive.
100 Baht/drink in DJ's ... 150 Baht/drink in GOD.

thonglor55
August 9th, 2010, 20:29
Beware another scam applicable to spirits and mixers... The owner of a Pattaya bar told me that that is quite a common trick.Thailand is not the West, thank god.

August 9th, 2010, 20:31

Er!!! You say in your first line, "so they can stand the cost ...", but then "no need to rip ....".

I can't even make sense of your post far less answer it - you do realise I was responding to a previous poster?

:dontknow:

Beachlover
August 9th, 2010, 21:54
how do you think a Thai reacts to being ripped off?

Wait till you take away their motorbike too... oh. :blackeye:

Beachlover
August 9th, 2010, 21:56

Totally agree... I don't care that much about the strength of my drink when drinking in a club when I having fun and trying to pick up. It's just the principle of it.

Beachlover
August 9th, 2010, 21:59
Beware another scam applicable to spirits and mixers...

If your drink is mixed out of your sight - e.g. at the bar while you remain in your seat - an unscrupulous barman will first invert an empty glass in a saucer of, say, gin and swirl it around a bit. He then turns the glass the right way up and adds tonic, but no more gin. It is then served to you and you will smell the gin from the rim as you drink it and may well be convinced (depending on how many you've had already that night?) that you are drinking an admittedly rather weak g&t.

The owner of a Pattaya bar told me that that is quite a common trick.

Interesting... never heard of this trick before.

Beachlover
August 9th, 2010, 22:01

He's say they are making a decent profit from the drinks already... ripping more out of it is just being greedy.

Beachlover
The answer to short measures is simple - only go to bars that use the optic measures for serving. That way, you can see what the barman is doing when he is pouring your drink. I am pretty sure all the bars in Boyztown use them and all of the bars in Silom soi 4. Most gogo bars do not and leave it up to the judgment of the barman.

I have been to GOD and their drinks are definitely not the same strength as those served in DJ Station ... and they are more expensive.
100 Baht/drink in DJ's ... 150 Baht/drink in GOD.

Right... I'll sway towards avoiding GOD from now on then. It's crap compared to DJ Station anyway. Music isn't as good and the atmosphere and people just don't compare. Plus, I hear there's a drug problem there.

Beachlover
Beware another scam applicable to spirits and mixers... The owner of a Pattaya bar told me that that is quite a common trick.Thailand is not the West, thank god.

Hello, homintern.

bao-bao
August 9th, 2010, 22:38
Beachlover, you may have just set a personal record: six posts in a row in a single thread! :cheers:

Seriously, people - if the goal when going out dancing (in reality) is to get drunk, take a hip flask. Otherwise just have fun, enjoy the scenery wandering around you and be thankful you can still stay awake until dawn. Many members here can't seem to manage any of the above three.

BTW - nothing against the OP: warning members about something you truly feel is a rip-off is fair, but only an opinion.

Smiles
August 10th, 2010, 06:12
"... I'll sway towards avoiding GOD from now on then. It's crap compared to DJ Station anyway. ... Plus, I hear there's a drug problem there ... "
:laughing3:

:blob2: :blob3: :blob4: :blob5: :blob6: :blob7: :blob8:

Beachlover
August 10th, 2010, 06:59
"... I'll sway towards avoiding GOD from now on then. It's crap compared to DJ Station anyway. ... Plus, I hear there's a drug problem there ... "

What are you sniggering about now?

Beachlover
August 10th, 2010, 07:09
if the goal when going out dancing (in reality) is to get drunk, take a hip flask.
Christ.... Taking a hip flask clubbing sounds so dodgy and shonky-looking though. And how do you think this would look to the Thai boys you hook up with?

I think I saw a post about this on another Thai forum a while back.

dab69
August 10th, 2010, 07:19

not watered down yaba too!