PDA

View Full Version : Australia Travel Warning 10 Thai Provinces...BKK

travelerjim
August 5th, 2010, 10:50
ThaiVisa.com reports...Australia updates Travel Warning for Thailand

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/388 ... provinces/ (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/388730-australia-issues-travel-warning-for-10-thai-provinces/)

Australia Issues Travel Warning for 10 Thai Provinces

Australian authorities have issued a travel advisory for ten provinces in Thailand, including Bangkok.

There warning instructs Australian nationals to use extreme caution when traveling to those areas due to terror warnings from Thai authorities.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/ ... e/Thailand (http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Thailand)

tj

Beachlover
August 5th, 2010, 20:31
Bummer... But still, it's not at the "reconsider need to travel" or "do not travel" stage yet.

cdnmatt
August 5th, 2010, 21:14
Ohh, fuck... better avoid taking a shower too then, because you might slip and break your neck.

Beachlover
August 5th, 2010, 21:29
My concern about the travel warning isn't regarding my own safety...

Anyway, you're drunk and being sarcastic again.

cdnmatt
August 5th, 2010, 21:32
Nah, sorry... that wasn't directed at you. Just the travel warning in general.

Beachlover
August 5th, 2010, 21:36
Ok... well drink away then :D

ceejay
August 5th, 2010, 23:53
In the last two and a half weeks I have stayed in Bangkok and Ubon Ratchathani, travelled through and spent the night (in Phimai) in Nakhon Ratchasima province and travelled through Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi provinces, all of these still being under the state of emergency. I have seen nothing - no trouble, no unusual police presence, no army. I've said elsewhere - you have more chance of being killed by the traffic.

August 6th, 2010, 00:17
- you have more chance of being killed by the traffic.[/quote]

We can only hope!!!!

August 6th, 2010, 00:25
ceejay, on a scale of 1 to 10 .......10 being the highest .....oh god...this is suicide,,,,what score would you give ME!!

Wesley
August 6th, 2010, 04:37
I agree, if you are going to Pattaya anyway, get a good cab, go where you need to go, get to your hotel and then play as usual. I am not going to BKK until the mess they have there is settled. Same for Kyrgyzstan its just to dangerous to travel there, the Philippines as well will Kidnap anyone white assuming they have money if they are white. I have a SUV and go directly where I was planning to go and lock the doors on the way there when I party at night . I take some one to do my driving for me that knows where he is going as well. I avoid certain area's in New York as well. So, after my lover was killed in Kg the day before a coup , I take care any where I go.

Beachlover
August 6th, 2010, 06:40
A perfect time to travel, as far as I'm concerned. Fewer Aussie drunks running around being assholes.

Yes... go away bogans.

Beachlover
August 6th, 2010, 06:43
I agree, if you are going to Pattaya anyway, get a good cab, go where you need to go, get to your hotel and then play as usual. I am not going to BKK until the mess they have there is settled. Same for Kyrgyzstan its just to dangerous to travel there, the Philippines as well will Kidnap anyone white assuming they have money if they are white. I have a SUV and go directly where I was planning to go and lock the doors on the way there when I party at night . I take some one to do my driving for me that knows where he is going as well. I avoid certain area's in New York as well. So, after my lover was killed in Kg the day before a coup , I take care any where I go.

You think Bangkok is too dangerous to visit now? I was there recently and it was fine.

How risky is the Philippines?... I think it's growing in popularity as a tourist destination for Aussies. Or is it only certain parts of the Philippines, which are risky?

August 7th, 2010, 01:59
This is not news.

The Thailand travel advisory simply suggests that a "High Degree of Caution" be exercised in most parts of Thailand (except some deep south provinces, where one should not travel), and notes that a state of emergency remains in place in 10 provinces including BKK.

It's not significantly different to the advisory issued a week or two after the violence in Bangkok was quashed and the "Do not travel" advisory for Bangkok was lifted.

There is no suggestion that travel to any of the ten provinces covered by the state of emergency should be avoided.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/ ... e/Thailand (http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Thailand)

Beachlover
August 7th, 2010, 12:10
In the last two and a half weeks I have stayed in Bangkok and Ubon Ratchathani, travelled through and spent the night (in Phimai) in Nakhon Ratchasima province and travelled through Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi provinces, all of these still being under the state of emergency. I have seen nothing - no trouble, no unusual police presence, no army. I've said elsewhere - you have more chance of being killed by the traffic.

That's why it's only at the "exercise extreme caution" level. If you were seeing violence in the streets etc. they would be advising "reconsider need to travel". Government advice is conservative.

Smiles
August 7th, 2010, 20:37
Why are these non-story so-called 'warnings' stickied to the top of the Board? I recall no messages like this (from good ol' TJ who specializes in such stuff) during the bloody street fighting in May, when perhaps a 'sticky' for a few days might have been (somewhat ... as if no one already knew) justified.

Both of these messages are pretty useless.

travelerjim
August 7th, 2010, 21:04
Why are these non-story so-called 'warnings' stickied to the top of the Board? I recall no messages like this (from good ol' TJ who specializes in such stuff) during the bloody street fighting in May, when perhaps a 'sticky' for a few days might have been (somewhat ... as if no one already knew) justified.

Smiles,

I was out of country during the April/May protests in BKK and elsewhere...
recuperating from surgery...

This time...this week...to have both the AU and US Embassies issue warnings on two consecutive days ...is telling me that they believe "something is about to happen" ...more tossed grenades...bombs in trash cans ...etc ...and both have issued advisories to be careful.

tj

Beachlover
August 7th, 2010, 22:10

I agree they're nothing significant. I think Spike does most of the stickying and he wasn't on the board much during the protests.

Does Suphot ever accuse you of being a back seat driver?

Lunchtime O'Booze
August 7th, 2010, 23:32
I've been mugged in London, New York, Los Angeles , Sydney and Madrid. Never in Thailand. :dontknow:

August 8th, 2010, 04:10
I've been mugged in London, New York, Los Angeles , Sydney and Madrid. Never in Thailand. :dontknow:

As Oscar Wilde may have said "To be mugged once may be considered unfortunate but to be mugged five times is downright carelessness". Or it just could be your usual BS.

Diec
August 8th, 2010, 06:59
I don't understand how someone can be mugged 5 times in their life either. Unless he considers a homeless person asking for a dollar and Lunchy didn't get anything in return and felt he was robbed.