PDA

View Full Version : Laundry in Silom charged per kilo?

Beachlover
August 1st, 2010, 17:59
Does anyone know a laundry place that charges per kilo (rather than per item) near the Rama IV end of Silom Rd?

I found one laundry place between Le Meridien and Tarntawan Place Hotel, but they charge 'per item', which costs a lot more. I found a "per kilo" laundry place around the corner from the Sofitel but I've yet to find one near the Dusit/Le Meriden end of Silom where I sometimes stay.

cdnmatt
August 2nd, 2010, 01:37
Not sure, only ever spent maybe 4 days in Bangkok before. Didn't like it. Can't remember ever seeing any laundry that does it by the kilo though, although there's several that will give a discount if you buy a "membership" of say 500 pieces at one time.

No idea, don't have to worry about laundry nowadays. Cleaning lady does it, because she knows she gets 400 instead of 300 baht if she does laundry. She goes outside with a big plastic tub, some detergent, and scrubs away. Clean as a whistle. :)

firecat69
August 2nd, 2010, 09:17
Silom I believe Soi 7 which is just before Bangkok Bank I believe.

On the left hand side there is small Hotel more like a backpackers place. Sorry don't remember the name but you will see a sign for laundry. They do it by the kilo and do a good job

firecat69
August 2nd, 2010, 09:26
I checked on Google

Actually it is Soi Phipat which is Soi 3 . I am right it is just before Bangkok Bank if you are coming from Saladaeng.

30 meters left hand side HQ Hostel. They do laundry by the kilo even if you don't stay there.

andrewcraig
August 2nd, 2010, 10:36
Does anyone know a laundry place that charges per kilo (rather than per item) near the Rama IV end of Silom Rd?

I found one laundry place between Le Meridien and Tarntawan Place Hotel, but they charge 'per item', which costs a lot more. I found a "per kilo" laundry place around the corner from the Sofitel but I've yet to find one near the Dusit/Le Meriden end of Silom where I sometimes stay.

WTF is he on about? How much do you expect to save? Is it just for you panties and socks or are you acting as a tour guide and laaundry is for the whole bus load.

You hint you are staying in a 5 star hotel and yet you are trying to save 100 baht on a couple of days washing.

Save your shoe leather and get it done at the nearest.

Beachlover
August 2nd, 2010, 10:57
Not sure, only ever spent maybe 4 days in Bangkok before. Didn't like it.

Really? You must be a genuine small-town guy then. Born in a small town... live in a small town... probably die in a small town... educated in a small town... bed in a small town... breathe in a small town... you get the drift.

I love Bangkok... it's a huuuuge city. Don't think I could stand living in a little city or town, unless I was taking frequent trips outside of it.

Beachlover
August 2nd, 2010, 11:00
I checked on Google

Actually it is Soi Phipat which is Soi 3 . I am right it is just before Bangkok Bank if you are coming from Saladaeng.

30 meters left hand side HQ Hostel. They do laundry by the kilo even if you don't stay there.

Sweet... Thanks firecat69... That's really useful. I'll check it out when I'm there.

The challenge with these laundry places is sometimes they are hard to spot... I'm always telling the owners to get a bigger sign.

adman5000
August 2nd, 2010, 11:03
I have found a place on Surawong past Soi Tawan that charges 250B per load with same day service. I have always been satisfied with their quality of service. I have not noted any in the area you are asking about.

Beachlover
August 2nd, 2010, 11:07
WTF is he on about? How much do you expect to save? Is it just for you panties and socks or are you acting as a tour guide and laaundry is for the whole bus load.

You hint you are staying in a 5 star hotel and yet you are trying to save 100 baht on a couple of days washing.

Save your shoe leather and get it done at the nearest.

Something in boganville got up your bogan arse today?

Here's a lesson on how not to stay poor and stupid:

Average load of laundry every 4-6 days is 1,500 to 2,000 baht if I get the hotel to do it.

If I go to an outside "charge by item" laundry it is about 700-800 baht.

If I find a "charge by kilo" laundry it's about 150 baht. That's 1,500 baht or $60 I can put to better use.

Beachlover
August 2nd, 2010, 11:14
I have found a place on Surawong past Soi Tawan that charges 250B per load with same day service. I have always been satisfied with their quality of service. I have not noted any in the area you are asking about.

Sweet... Thanks. That's right across the road from Le Meridien... and close enough to the Dusit. I'll check that one out too.

Same Day service is great. The place I had to use last was this little place beside the Tarntawan Place Hotel (I think)... They charged by the item and the time frame was something stupid like, 3 days... with something ridiculous like a 50% premium for 2-day service... and 100% premium for 1-day service.

August 2nd, 2010, 11:46
There is a laundry place in one of the small sois off Saladaeng, on the left side if the street, between the Silom and the soi that Baan Saladaeng is in. Don't know anything about the service.

August 2nd, 2010, 14:47

Something in boganville got up your bogan arse today? Here's a lesson on how not to stay poor and stupid:
Average load of laundry every 4-6 days is 1,500 to 2,000 baht if I get the hotel to do it.
If I find a "charge by kilo" laundry it's about 150 baht. That's 1,500 baht or $60 I can put to better use.

Well answered. If you enjoy the comfort of a 5 Star establishment why, unless you like throwing money to the wind pay for in-house laundry service (or even use the room mini bar) on a regular basis especially in a place like Thailand where outside laundry facilitys are very cheap and efficient.

andrewcraig
August 2nd, 2010, 18:01
[

Something in boganville got up your bogan arse today? Here's a lesson on how not to stay poor and stupid:

Well answered. If you enjoy the comfort of a 5 Star establishment why, unless you like throwing money to the wind pay for in-house laundry service (or even use the room mini bar) on a regular basis especially in a place like Thailand where outside laundry facilitys are very cheap and efficient.

When I travel to Thailand I take 4 shirts , 2 pair trousers, 2 pair shorts, 4 pairs jocks and 4 pairs of socks, 4 t shirts usual costs of laundry is 100 baht + every 2 days. I dont take full length frocks, lingerie and cannot understand why your laundry costs are so high.

I too have stayed in Dusit Thani, Sofitel and other 5 star hotels but the clothes I wear to go go bars and to discos don't seem to make me less popular or successful. I am double your age as well.

August 2nd, 2010, 18:10
I too have stayed in Dusit Thani, Sofitel and other 5 star hotels but the clothes I wear to go go bars and to discos don't seem to make me less popular or successful. I am double your age as well.

Each to their own, why do you have a problem with other peoples laundry requirements. It was a straight forward question which has now been answered so why is it giving you sleepless nights?

August 2nd, 2010, 18:10
... the clothes I wear to go go bars and to discos don't seem to make me less popular or successful. I am double your age as well.

You could wear bright yellow oilskins, wellies, and a gas mask and still score in a gogo bar or disco in Thailand, it's fuck all to do with what you're wearing and everything to do with the size of your wallet - as a man of your age ought to know.

:occasion9:

Incidentally, in that outfit you'd also score in certain bars in Amsterdam and Berlin for free.

Beachlover
August 2nd, 2010, 20:06
There is a laundry place in one of the small sois off Saladaeng, on the left side if the street, between the Silom and the soi that Baan Saladaeng is in. Don't know anything about the service.

Cool thanks... I will check it out.

Beachlover
August 2nd, 2010, 20:08
When I travel to Thailand I take 4 shirts , 2 pair trousers, 2 pair shorts, 4 pairs jocks and 4 pairs of socks, 4 t shirts usual costs of laundry is 100 baht + every 2 days. I dont take full length frocks, lingerie and cannot understand why your laundry costs are so high.

Dude, seriously. Get a brain. Or at least borrow one so you know what it's like to do accurate mental addition.

Your 100 baht won't even get you a t-shirt washed at the Dusit.

Last time I was there it was 140 baht to wash a t-shirt alone. Undies and socks were 25 to 50 baht a pair. Shirts (full button up type) were around 200 baht. Plus a 10% service charge and 7% VAT on top.

I'm a minimalist. I usually wear t-shirts or a polo shirt at most when in Thailand. But at those rates, 7 t-shirts (including polo shirts), 7 pairs of undies, 7 pairs of socks and a pair of shorts exceeds 1,500 baht easily. Add a pair of pants plus service charge and VAT and it's well over 2,000 baht for 5 days' washing.

Your list would probably run up close to 3,000 baht.

cdnmatt
August 2nd, 2010, 20:35
Really? You must be a genuine small-town guy then. Born in a small town... live in a small town... probably die in a small town... educated in a small town... bed in a small town... breathe in a small town... you get the drift.

Grew up in a small town, yeah, but haven't lived in one since I was 15. Gotta have my city nowadays, and have lived in loads of cities throughout the world now.

I just don't like large, overly populated, loud, polluted Asian cities. :-) The population density of Bangkok is something ridiculous like 3700 people per sqkm, and the average monthly wage is something like 12,000 baht. Don't quote me on that, as just going off memory. And that's just going off census & tax records, so who knows what the actual numbers are.

Nonetheless, not a place I want to be in. Now places like Singapore, Vancouver, Toronto, etc... those are good cities.

Brad the Impala
August 2nd, 2010, 23:01

That doesn't seem to give you much leeway for changing into fresh clothes and underwear.

August 2nd, 2010, 23:39

That doesn't seem to give you much leeway for changing into fresh clothes and underwear.

I wondered where that smell was coming from.

Beachlover
August 3rd, 2010, 07:01

Grew up in a small town, yeah, but haven't lived in one since I was 15. Gotta have my city nowadays, and have lived in loads of cities throughout the world now.

I just don't like large, overly populated, loud, polluted Asian cities. :-) The population density of Bangkok is something ridiculous like 3700 people per sqkm, and the average monthly wage is something like 12,000 baht. Don't quote me on that, as just going off memory. And that's just going off census & tax records, so who knows what the actual numbers are.

Nonetheless, not a place I want to be in. Now places like Singapore, Vancouver, Toronto, etc... those are good cities.

Fair enough... so you prefer either the more developed cities or something not too loud and crowded.

It's not so much the population density as to how it's handled. I think Singapore has higher population density than Bangkok.

andrewcraig
August 3rd, 2010, 08:38

Dude, seriously. Get a brain. Or at least borrow one so you know what it's like to do accurate mental addition.

Last time I was there it was 140 baht to wash a t-shirt alone. Undies and socks were 25 to 50 baht a pair. Shirts (full button up type) were around 200 baht. Plus a 10% service charge and 7% VAT on top.

I'm a minimalist. I usually wear t-shirts or a polo shirt at most when in Thailand. But at those rates, 7 t-shirts (including polo shirts), 7 pairs of undies, 7 pairs of socks and a pair of shorts exceeds 1,500 baht easily. Add a pair of pants plus service charge and VAT and it's well over 2,000 baht for 5 days' washing.

I stayed recently at Dusit Thani 3 days and then moved to Pattaya. The clothes I wore on the plane and for 2 days in Bangkok were placed in the laundry and available the following morning for 100 baht. If you are so unorganized as to wait until all your clothing needs laundering then get it all done at once, serve you right. I plan ahead as to when and where I get my laundry done. Each year i find I need less in my suitcase. No where did I suggest getting Dusit to do laundry. I just asked why you have so laundry much that you need bulk rates. The answer you spend most of your tume trying to find cheap rates.

August 3rd, 2010, 13:09
Cool, dudes some really fascinating stuff!

lonelywombat
August 3rd, 2010, 13:30

It would seem like beachboy is a spoilt rich kid still living at home and mummy does his washing for him.
I agree that plan your laundry makes sense but in addition I always travel with a steam iron in my luggage. I am also prepared to wash a tshirt, jocks and socks nightly when travelling. It worked for me in the UK, US ,Spain and Thailand this year.

Beachlover
August 3rd, 2010, 13:43
Cool, dudes some really fascinating stuff!

So you're back eh, Nowboyager?... Not long since you were last deleted.

Beachlover
August 3rd, 2010, 13:50
Andrewcraig, you're picking a bone because you don't like a poster. Not because there's anything wrong at all with the post.

But you're so unintelligent you do a hopeless job of it...

you are trying to save 100 baht on a couple of days washing
Already proved this stupid statement wrong above...

I plan ahead as to when and where I get my laundry done.
Which is exactly what I'm doing right? So again, what is your problem with the post? Why do you say, "WTF" and "save your shoe leather"?

If you are so unorganized as to wait until all your clothing needs laundering then get it all done at once, serve you right.
What indicates I'm disorganised? I do my laundry every 3-6 days depending on my movements. And I only pack cabin luggage.

No where did I suggest getting Dusit to do laundry.
You said, "Save your shoe leather and get it done at the nearest."... Which would be the hotel.

I just asked why you have so laundry much that you need bulk rates.
I don't. It's a normal load of laundry, which I don't want to pay 2,000+ baht (at the hotel) or 700 baht (at the charge by item laundry I found) for. That's why I posted the question.

...why you have so laundry much...
You're only about three notches away from writing as bad as LMTU.

Give it up... you're a MORON.

Beachlover
August 3rd, 2010, 13:56
It would seem like beachboy is a spoilt rich kid still living at home and mummy does his washing for him.
I agree that plan your laundry makes sense but in addition I always travel with a steam iron in my luggage. I am also prepared to wash a tshirt, jocks and socks nightly when travelling. It worked for me in the UK, US ,Spain and Thailand this year.

Great, another brainless bogan having a go. Weren't you getting sick of this board and moaning about leaving?

You pack an iron? What a waste of space...

I agree with wash smalls in the shower if you're on the move and not stopping long... but not much point if you can get the whole lot done for $5 in these Asian countries.

christianpfc
August 4th, 2010, 06:15
Two more advantages of getting your laundry done outside the hotel, which makes a total of three:
1. It's cheaper
2. It's faster (usually within 18h, in hotel often 2 days standard service or 24h with additional charge)
3. You don't have to count your items and fill in a form (no, this does not pose an intellectual challenge for me, I'm on holiday!)

lonelywombat
August 4th, 2010, 08:16
[quote="Beachlover"

You pack an iron? What a waste of space...

I agree with wash smalls in the shower if you're on the move and not stopping long... but not much point if you can get the whole lot done for $5 in these Asian countries.[/quote]

A light weight iron weighs less than a pair of shoes. If you do handwashing then you appreciate an iron. If you take a good set of clothes like I do for business class flights, it helps with upgrades.But no matter how well you pack a suitcase, shirts and slacks get creased.

Beachlover
August 4th, 2010, 20:09
Fair enough... Though most good hotels have a good iron and ironing board in the room cupboard.

Unless I'm traveling with a suit, a good set of clothes for me is generally (smartish) casual, which doesn't need an iron as long as it's not scrunched up after washing.

Beachlover
August 4th, 2010, 20:12
2. It's faster (usually within 18h, in hotel often 2 days standard service or 24h with additional charge)

Yeah... You'd think if they're charging 160 baht to wash a t-shirt they can do it within 1 day right?

3. You don't have to count your items and fill in a form (no, this does not pose an intellectual challenge for me, I'm on holiday!)

Good point. I hate stopping to count items and fill out that form. Another reason just to find a place that simply weighs it and charges by the weight of your bag.

lonelywombat
August 5th, 2010, 08:20
Instead of replying to the PM's

To the person that PM ed calling me a woos for travelling with an iron, I learnt to iron my uniforms in the army many years ago and I stll see irons in barracks even now. Id like to see you call serving military, woos to their face. I learnt to travel with an iron when married and travelling with children. Of course I use laundry but its not always possible if you are only in one place 2/3 days.

One member said he gets enough shirts laundered for his trip and opens a new clean one every day. Besides space they would be crushed or creased.

I rarely use an ironing board , just lay out a towel on a cupboard or dressing table or even in the bath room. Depends on where the plugs are. No I dont use the floor [ too hard with a zimmer frame] but often iron on the bed.

I travel with a normal Sunbeam steam iron that I use at home. Best thing I have ever done.
Travel irons are useless.

Two points, I use a travel universal adaptor that enables to use the iron in asia and europe.
I carry the iron in a plastic bag in case it leaks if packed in a hurry.

No more PMs please

Beachlover
August 5th, 2010, 20:56
Who PM'd you about being a wuss?

I can't believe you pack a full-sized iron. That's heavier than a hairdryer. Personally, an iron would a waste of luggage weight. But I pack super-light when I travel... carry-on only.

I hardly use irons anyway. Only part of my attire that really needs an iron is business shirts and these get done at the laundry unless I'm at home. On the rare occasions when needed, hotel rooms usually have an iron.

August 5th, 2010, 22:24
Who PM'd you about being a wuss?

I can't believe you pack a full-sized iron. That's heavier than a hairdryer. Personally, an iron would a waste of luggage weight. But I pack super-light when I travel... carry-on only.

I hardly use irons anyway. Only part of my attire that really needs an iron is business shirts and these get done at the laundry unless I'm at home. On the rare occasions when needed, hotel rooms usually have an iron.

You need to put yourself in the place of some of our members: an iron is an absolute essential - not for the clothes, but for the body. They have to give tits, belly, and arse a good going-over with the iron in an attempt to smooth out the worst of the wrinkles before heading over to Le Cafe Royale to sit in the dark listening to El Duo.

Even so, for those of them whose arse actually hangs down in pleats, no amount of ironing will do any good. Fortunately for this group of unfortunates, the XXXXXL shorts they buy provide a kind of all-enveloping "curtain" to disguise it in some small way.

As for saying most hotels have an iron - come on, for those of our members who habitually stay in Sunee they are lucky to get a shit-pot and a window never mind an iron.

August 5th, 2010, 22:44
hUGS sCOTTISH,you are so funny ! LMAO

Boooooooooooooooooooo hooooooo !

booooo bloody hooo !

August 6th, 2010, 01:02
hUGS sCOTTISH,you are so funny ! LMAO

Boooooooooooooooooooo hooooooo !

booooo bloody hooo !

Jesus SG that has got to be the kiss of death!!!!
And you accepted hugs????
Where did I go wrong?

Beachlover
August 6th, 2010, 06:26
They have to give tits, belly, and arse a good going-over with the iron in an attempt to smooth out the worst of the wrinkles

Heh... growing old is that painful eh

As for saying most hotels have an iron - come on, for those of our members who habitually stay in Sunee they are lucky to get a shit-pot and a window never mind an iron.

I was just referring to our resident ironer... who seems to stay in decent places.

August 6th, 2010, 16:24
Don't spoil my fun by being sensible, Beachy.

:laughing3:

Beachlover
August 7th, 2010, 13:30
Sorry... flipped off the lunatic switch by accident. :happy7:

August 8th, 2010, 12:29
Thanks to all for their information, especially the first few posts.

An update:

1. The laundry shop in Saladaeng 2 (between Saladaeng and Convent) is closed on Sundays
2. HQ Hostel doesn't charge by the kilo, they charge by the bag. I had one bag done with same day service (you have to ask nicely) for 150B.

August 30th, 2012, 18:49
If you prefer laundry service as per kilo, we would like you to visit our shop.

30р╕┐ / Kilo for wash-Dry-Fold ONLY!! :wav:

By the way this see this link for more information about this service and our map.

http://dadlaundry.wordpress.com/2012/08/30/wash-dry-fold-30%E0%B8%BFkg-only/

Hopefully, our details should be helpful for you and every travelers who stay around Silom. :hello2:

August 31st, 2012, 01:42

Hi - re your advert ( and website ) can I make hopefully a constructive comment re your "directions to" page - your google map is written in Thai, so if you're hoping for some farang custom maybe you could have both the English and the Thai version of the map on there too and let the customer chose the one they want - for the stupid people like me who STILL can't work out where places are in Bangkok even from looking a street map ! :-)

Also I've always wondered this and you might know the answer - every time I leave clothes into a laundry I get them back with usually a small red and blue piece of thread sewn into the label ( which is actually quite annoying,) however, obviously I'm assuming that this is done for ease of identification of my clothes in the wash etc but I've left my clothes into several different laundry's over the years and they all have used the same red and blue thread (and I've noticed it on other peoples clothes to) so I've always wondered if you all use the same cloth thread etc on everyone's clothes how the hell do you still manage NOT to get everyone's clothes mixed up !! ??? Perhaps is there sme secret laundry code in use that we all don't know about and you're not allowed to tell us about on pain of death ? :-)

Neal
August 31st, 2012, 01:54
I have always gotten my clothes back with a color thread. I assume what it means is that I gave them a small load and they mixed mine together wit someone elses clothes. That the red or blue or what ever identifies the identification per "load of wash" and not a permanent identification. So someone, you or they, need to remove that thread in case next time it is a mix with someone elses clothes again. This way they know all the red string was one persons and blue another per "load" but if you leave the string on and it gets mixed again, well there could certainly be a problem. That's always what I have assumed.

ceejay
August 31st, 2012, 02:59
If you scroll down the web page to near the bottom, there is a sketch map for location:
[attachment=0:2gr1xvxv]promotion1.jpg[/attachment:2gr1xvxv]
It's not entirely clear to me if it is actually part of Baan Saladaeng, or next door to it.
The unnamed road linking Silom and Sathorn on the sketch map is Sala Daeng.

gaymandenmark
August 31st, 2012, 03:16
hmm strange, I have never had my loundry back with some thread, even in red, blue or black.
I have seen the price on the plastic, but have never been thinking about the colour. :dontknow:

christianpfc
August 31st, 2012, 04:26
I got a few pieces of clothes back with a string, so I assume they remove the strings and missed some. What I encoutered was that they write a number in my clothes, with a pen (black color) that is not erasable, i.e. the number stays forever! But all this is not 100% safe, I had a pair of sock and a pair of underwear exchanged with other customers'. In both cases I realized days later, as the looked very similar.

September 2nd, 2012, 22:39

30р╕┐ / Kilo for wash-Dry-Fold ONLY!! :wav:

By the way this see this link for more information about this service and our map.

http://dadlaundry.wordpress.com/2012/08/30/wash-dry-fold-30%E0%B8%BFkg-only/

Hopefully, our details should be helpful for you and every travelers who stay around Silom. :hello2:

More information about DAD Laundry Map:
Please find this link for the map of our laundry shop ---> http://goo.gl/maps/wEm1J

atri1666
September 3rd, 2012, 17:26

In which direction? To Rama IV or in direction to the river? I only know Champ Laundry in Sap Road around the corner of Tawana Hotel.