PDA

View Full Version : Checking ID's

July 28th, 2010, 18:12
Hi,
I'm hoping to visit Chiang Mai later this year and am gathering info from various sources and gay travel sites before I go.
I personally prefer younger boyish types but certainly not if they are underage and do not want to get into any sort of trouble.
I notice there are quite a few posts saying check their ID's first.
What are you actually looking for?
I believe Thailand has a different calender to the West.
Does the ID state their age? DOB?

Thanks.

Forearmed is forewarned.

bing
July 28th, 2010, 18:48
HI funseeker,
You bring up a subject that has been a concern over the years for many of us. The good news is that all the newer ID cards have Western dates (2010) on them.. If you are trying to convert to the Buddhist date, it is not impossible, just remember 543 that is the magic number and add it to the Western date for obtaining the Buddhist date..For example 2010 plus 543 equals 2553.. And if you are concerned about the month make sure there is a 19 year difference between 2010 and the date on his ID ... in this case 1991. Hope this is a help.

July 28th, 2010, 20:45
Hmm,
I understand the 543 magic number bit which I presume means that if the guy is 18 and therefore born in 1992 you add 543 to it to get 2535 but not to sure were the 19 number comes in for the month.

I can just see myself standing at a bar having had a few beers trying to work it out, lol.

Think I'll have to pack a calculator or stay away from the obvious young looking guys.

If like you say there are new ID cards then that will be better.

Thanks bing,

gerefan2
July 28th, 2010, 21:31
What he means is if you deduct 18 years the guy could still be 17... depending on the month. You wont be able to read the month on the Buddist Calendar. (Its in Thai).
Safer to deduct 19 years.

July 28th, 2010, 22:28
Ah,

Thanks gerefan2,

I get it now, and thats without a beer.

Funseeker

July 29th, 2010, 05:09
On my first trip I too was worried about picking up someone who was under the legal age. So I printed the year that the young man had to be to be 19 on my money clip, it worked like a charm. Just my two cents worth. :idea:

Geezer
July 29th, 2010, 14:43
More than half the times I have asked boys in Chiang Mai for IDs they have become upset and responded, тАЬWhy you want ID! You no police!тАЭ

In hundreds of offs, I have never once had this happen anywhere else in Thailand.

I asked a farang friend who is a resident of CM about this. He said many lads are hill tribe boys who are in Chiang Mai illegally, and have no IDs.

I certainly sympathize with them, but am not about to take into my room a stranger whose name cannot be verified, who is in the country illegally, may have little to loose, and knows he cannot be traced.

It is a deal breaker if his ID cannot be kept at reception.

July 29th, 2010, 15:02
Some of those boys could also get you in trouble for harboring an illegal alien.

Apartment block and Condo owners should also be worried about harbouring aliens - have you seen some of those expat tenants who clearly originate from the planet O'Beese.

:hello1:

July 29th, 2010, 15:13
Oops, you're too touchy - was I getting too close to home?

Rx - Sibutramine Hydrochloride Monohydrate 15mg q.d.

:occasion9:

July 29th, 2010, 15:32
That's bizarre - you hint that "Thonglor" it's not actually you- but go on to cite what would therefore be a fake pic as evidence of "your" figure?

:dontknow:

July 29th, 2010, 15:44
You've probably seen my supposed Gay Romeo profile (thonglorgwm). Does he (I mean "I") look like he (I mean "I") needs it to you?

Come on guys, I mean doesn't just everyone put their picture up in Gayromeo?

quiet1
July 29th, 2010, 15:56
Haven't all the old ID cards been replaced with the new ones that have the year in both the Buddhist and Gregorian (aka "western/Christian") calendars?

July 29th, 2010, 17:29
Haven't all the old ID cards been replaced with the new ones that have the year in both the Buddhist and Gregorian (aka "western/Christian") calendars?

No