PDA

View Full Version : Amor

July 22nd, 2010, 21:08
What has happend to Amor restaurant in Boyztown lately, it is not open at the moment. Any info on it?

July 22nd, 2010, 21:36
ahh ok, I don't think he will have gone into partnership, probably sold it, the person who owns Amor was getting on a bit so I doubt it he would go into partnership. Wait and see I suppose.

July 22nd, 2010, 22:11
... why would a "Cute Thai Boy" be interested.....

So he can be overjoyed that it's closed the next time one of the aforementioned punters suggests eating a meal in there prior to suckee-fuckee back at the hotel loom?

Tried it twice in 10years - vastly overrated, nothing special.

Amor that it, not suckee-fuckee.

Actually, come to think of it, suckee-fuckee too.

:occasion9:

bao-bao
July 23rd, 2010, 00:03
... vastly overrated, nothing special.
Almost any place our (at the moment thankfully quiet) resident "expert" liked was always overrated in his gushing reviews, so if you're basing your opinion on that... :rolling:

My experience at Amor has always been a very good meal at a fair price, with pleasant wait staff and a good view of the soi. I still haven't found a fresh mango cheesecake anywhere else I've enjoyed as much as the one there, either.

Besides being generous with contributions to a number of causes Richard always seemed to be a nice guy the times I'd visited with him about restaurant operation and the food service industry in general. I hope he continues in the restaurant business somewhere there in Pattaya.

Diec
July 23rd, 2010, 00:28
I've never had a problem with Amor's food, in fact it was quite good, however, contrary to Bao, I did find the prices rather high

July 23rd, 2010, 02:06
Almost any place our (at the moment thankfully quiet) resident "expert" liked was always overrated in his gushing reviews, so if you're basing your opinion on that... :rolling:

I'm basing it on the personal experience I've had (twice) after hearing people telling me that it was worth a visit. I didn't find it awful but as I said, nothing special considering it was not cheap.

Besides being generous with contributions to a number of causes Richard always seemed to be a nice guy the times I'd visited with him about restaurant operation and the food service industry in general..

To be honest I don't choose where to eat by how much the proprietor contributes to good causes or how nice a guy he may be - nor do I choose a restaurant according to whether I can have some in depth conversation with mine host. I go (with company) to enjoy a nice meal , and ......well it was on a par with Le Cafe Royale, that's the best I can say.

:bee:

bao-bao
July 23rd, 2010, 03:58
To be honest I don't choose where to eat by how much the proprietor contributes to good causes or how nice a guy he may be - nor do I choose a restaurant according to whether I can have some in depth conversation with mine host. I go (with company) to enjoy a nice meal , and ......well it was on a par with Le Cafe Royale, that's the best I can say.

A valid opinion, no argument from me. I wasn't clear with my comment, I guess. I've had enough restaurant experience to have a feel for a place based on the attitude and behavior of staff and management, so if I walk in and hear the boss rudely berating a waiter on the dining floor - or see a waiter wiping off a table with the same cloth they've just wiped up a spill on the floor with (neither of which I saw at Amor, BTW) I don't bother to sit down and eat.

I've also had a number of meals at Le Cafe Royale, and while it was fine I would never put it on the same level of quality as the food Amor served. Not wishing to support the place across from it I guess that only leaves LCR for me now if Amor has closed, and I'm fine with that. It's not like Boyztown serves the only decent food in the area.

joe552
July 23rd, 2010, 04:21
C'mon, who goes to Boyztown to eat? Well, suck maybe, but not eat!

July 23rd, 2010, 04:33
But at midnight and after 2 or 3 bottles of Johnnie Walker Black Label I get a bit peckish

:rolling:

joe552
July 23rd, 2010, 05:38
Well, I suppose 'faggot & chips' at the end of the night might be okay.

Beachlover
July 23rd, 2010, 07:08
after 2 or 3 bottles of Johnnie Walker Black Label

You animal.

Marsilius
July 23rd, 2010, 13:04
In the past few years the prices seemed to go up rather a lot. Given that the menu lacked variety (various types of meat with an interchangable range of sauces), that deterred me from going. And personally I disliked having to engage in prolonged conversation with the ever-hovering proprietor when I was trying to eat or talk to friends.

Beachlover
July 23rd, 2010, 13:11
Is it? I didn't know that. Why is it protected?

allieb
July 23rd, 2010, 13:26
What has happend to Amor restaurant in Boyztown lately, it is not open at the moment. Any info on it?

Rumor has it that Richard from Amor has either sold or gone into parnership with the little guy who smokes the pipe from New Orleans restaurant and it will be a wine bar slash and something else sounds like another Pattaya business plan on how to loose a lot of money on a small investment!

If you don't really know ,why bother to answer?

allieb
July 23rd, 2010, 13:33
But at midnight and after 2 or 3 bottles of Johnnie Walker Black Label I get a bit peckish

:rolling:

For a plate of suckee-fuckee, no doubt

allieb
July 23rd, 2010, 13:37
Careful...you're treading on thin ice. This is a protected subject.

Look who's talking!

Patexpat
July 23rd, 2010, 14:24
it's no secret Amor has a new owner, and renovations were in full swing as I drove past not 20 minutes ago ....

travelerjim
July 23rd, 2010, 16:33
it's no secret Amor has a new owner, and renovations were in full swing as I drove past not 20 minutes ago ....

I saw and spoke with Richard a couple of weeks ago while
shopping at Central Plaza, Pattaya.

As reported by others, the Amor has new ownership...
the same owner as the New Orleans Restaurant.

Richard will manage a new Wine Bar and Art Gallery...
he looked very good ...and was happy to be living life with less stress.

Happy for him... :king: he deserves a break and
is good for him to have some freedom.

Hope the new venture is successful... :headbang:
and business comes back to enjoy Pattaya... as well as BoyzTown.

tj

allieb
July 23rd, 2010, 18:36
If you don't really know ,why bother to answer?

Then why bother to quote?

Just pointing out a looser to the other posters

bing
July 23rd, 2010, 22:19
Once again Traveler Jim has put down the facts, just the facts. Amor has been for years a restaurant of choice for an evening in Boystown. I felt welcomed by Richard every time I entered alone or with a Thai friend. He ran a nice, better than average establishment. I have heard for years the compliant that his prices were a bit high. No problem, if a poster can not afford a few baht for a nice meal in a congenial atmosphere, then move on to the street stalls or wherever you choose to eat. There are many places to eat in Pattaya. I am sure Richard will land on both feet. Best wishes for the future.

July 23rd, 2010, 23:43
if a poster can not afford a few baht for a nice meal in a congenial atmosphere, then move on to the street stalls or wherever you choose to eat.

An extremly stupid remark. There is nobody on this forum who could not afford "a few baht" and you do not gain any credibility by suggesting otherwise. If you enjoyed being in Amor then fine. I (and presumably many others or it would still be going strong) found it no more than average.

Good luck to Richard - but let's not pretend something was marvellous when it plainly wasn't.

Brad the Impala
July 23rd, 2010, 23:55
Is the Scottish poster trying to be gratuitously offensive to every poster in turn?

July 24th, 2010, 00:28
You must be very easily offended

allieb
July 24th, 2010, 01:39
if a poster can not afford a few baht for a nice meal in a congenial atmosphere, then move on to the street stalls or wherever you choose to eat.

An extremly stupid remark. There is nobody on this forum who could not afford "a few baht" and you do not gain any credibility by suggesting otherwise. If you enjoyed being in Amor then fine. I (and presumably many others or it would still be going strong) found it no more than average.

Good luck to Richard - but let's not pretend something was marvellous when it plainly wasn't.

I second that. Not only could everybody afford a meal in Amor, many could afford to buy the place. I try to avoid any restaurants full of old Farang farts so I would be unhappy there even for a free meal.

Diec
July 24th, 2010, 01:56

I agree with scottish guy, some people are on a budget. I have a little secret for you people, the majority of the people on this board don't have quite as much money as they claim to, there are a very few exceptions however. I know personally a farang who lives in Pattaya on just $1400 dollars a month. Of course when his friends come to visit who do not know his true financial condition (and he would never tell them) he puts on the big show, but once they leave he has to live even more frugal to make up for extravagance. That's another thing, the farang who come on vacation don't have the money they claim either, they charge the shit out of their credit cards, then pay dearly and work overtime to pay them off.

Narakmak
July 24th, 2010, 13:53
I can't believe anyone ever went to Amor for the FOOD. I went a few times when I was a tourist and didn't know any better about the wonderful options in town.

July 24th, 2010, 21:16
Scottish Guy is taking the wet here, obviously he is protecting his own interests and knows the previous owner of Amor.