PDA

View Full Version : Tarntawan Place Bangkok

sydneyboy
July 19th, 2010, 03:58
Has anyone stayed at the Tarntawan lately? What is the current condition of the rooms and bathrooms? I have not stayed there for about 5 years and up to date observations aapreciated.

ceejay
July 19th, 2010, 04:11
Well, last November. I guess you will find little has changed in the last 5 years - except the rooms are a bit more tired (still perfectly clean). Many of the staff you will probably remember.

sydneyboy
July 19th, 2010, 04:27
One of the reasons I stopped staying there was that the rooms were becoming tired some would say shabby. The rooms were renovated not long after my last visit. I requested comments on this forum following the renovation and the general view was a discernable but not spectacular improvement. I am seeking more recent opinions.

ceejay
July 19th, 2010, 05:04
Fair enough. I'm staying there for a night on Thursday, as it happens. I'll let you know what I see.

frequentflier
July 20th, 2010, 08:27
I stayed there recently..it is a fine place to stay and the staff are really good..I will be there again in sept.Totally recommend it..

July 20th, 2010, 18:34
Overpriced, especially at peak times.

July 21st, 2010, 05:33
Evidently WhiteDesire is a cheapskate who can't afford the best ... so he likes to knock it.

I am staying in Tarntawan Place now and I have never been in a gay hotel that is any better. The staff are excellent, the rooms are very comfotable and well appointed, the location is second to none and the price is fine by me.

July 21st, 2010, 05:40
When I was there in April this year the whole 7th floor was undergoing renovation.

July 21st, 2010, 05:51
When I was there in April this year the whole 7th floor was undergoing renovation.

Great news! - When they've finished the floor they might start on the rooms!!

:hello1: :hello1:

Beachlover
July 21st, 2010, 07:48
Evidently WhiteDesire is a cheapskate who can't afford the best ... so he likes to knock it.

You're calling Tarntawan Place the best?

July 21st, 2010, 10:59
"The staff are excellent": True, the staff cannot be faulted

"The rooms are very comfotable and well appointed": I guess it's subjective. I and other readers find the rooms to be dated, worn, sometimes even threadbare, with rather antiquated plumbing.

"The location is second to none": Perhaps the Ramada, Rose, Meridian, Montien, Siam Heritage and de Arni also have "second to none" locations

"The price is fine by me": When they raised the price to 3,000, I started questioning the value for money paid. Just before the Trouble started, I stayed in a (small) suite at the de Arni for about 3,200 and felt I was getting much more for the money than Tartawan offered.

Having said all that, I still recall with fondness my first stay at the Tartawan in 1998. It was also my first contact with the gay scene in Bangkok and I was delighted to find a hotel that was so welcoming to me and my constant stream of guests/joiners.

July 21st, 2010, 11:26
Comment completely off topic. We're discussing the merits of the hotel, not its occupants or visitors.

Apparently you tired of attacking me on the YaaBaa thread, so you've switched to this one. If that's what it takes to bring satisfaction to your existance, so be it. I don't recall a single positive, helpful, friendly comment in any of your submissions, so I guess Ignoring you is the only solution.

danny99
July 21st, 2010, 11:30
I have never been in a gay hotel that is any better. The staff are excellent, the rooms are very comfotable and well appointed, the location is second to none and the price is fine by me.[/quote]

I tend to agree on the overpriced! A place fit for a queen, and it houses many! Not my sort of place and as for the 'best gay hotel ever' all I can say is the comparison is obviously very limited.

Beachlover
July 21st, 2010, 17:25
If TP is 3,000 just stay at Le Meridien. It's only 4,000. Sofitel/Dusit can be had for around 4,000 too.

July 21st, 2010, 18:41

I am staying in Tarntawan Place now and I have never been in a gay hotel that is any better. The staff are excellent, the rooms are very comfotable and well appointed, the location is second to none and the price is fine by me.

Nah far from it, but anyway, the point being there are 4, 5 star hotels in that area which lookin on asiarooms are half the price. The fact being with Tarntawan, you pay for the fact that it waves the gay flag, and everything that goes with that word, and yes that is the reason I would stay at a hotel because it is gay friendly and you don't have problems in bringing people back etc, so from that point, I would give it a thumbs up. The place is probably fine, but there have been mixed reviews on here, in fact not so much mixed but bad reviews in that it is starting to look shabby and expensive for what it is. Malaysia Hotel does the same thing, it cheap, gay friendly etc. I don't believe in throwing away my hard earned money.

Beachlover
July 21st, 2010, 18:47
I would stay at a hotel because it is gay friendly and you don't have problems in bringing people back etc,

At what hotel in Thailand have you ever had a problem bringing people back?

July 21st, 2010, 20:04
Well this is my point, there have been mixed reviews on this place, and the majority of the reviews are not good ones.

July 21st, 2010, 23:35
I have been staying at the Tarntawan on numerous occasions since 1998. I always found the rooms just fine for me. Spacious, very clean and you have more amenities than in some 5* hotels. Few scratches on the furniture doesn't bother me one bit. Free breakfast for two any time of the day and the location. Most importantly for me is that, not only are they gay friendly, but I am comfortable bringing guests to my room. It is also secure as the security guard at the elevator will verify the ID of your guest, keep it until he leaves and return it only after he has verified that everything is OK. I have stayed at the Ramada, the Meridien and other hotels in the area. While I could bring guests over, I was not comfortable doing so. At the Tarntawan, I am.

As for the price: after dishing out the money to cross the Pacific to get to LOS, I really don't mind to spend a few extra baths to be comfortable and secure.

Beachlover
July 22nd, 2010, 07:32
I the Meridien... I was not comfortable doing so.

What was uncomfortable about bringing guests over at Le Meridien? Just curious...

Free breakfast for two any time of the day

That's one positive... I wish more hotels would serve breakfast until late. On weekends, if I've been out and been up late I'll actually grab breakfast around 6am before going to sleep.

July 22nd, 2010, 17:09
Quite right Oops!

I say flaunt it baby, flaunt it ...

Just grab the boy and mince through the hotel lobby wearing a floral suit and a wide brimmed floppy hat, shouting in your best camp voice - "What are you all looking at ...Do you know who I am?.... Twenty Five years I've been in the business..."

Always works for me.

:occasion9:

July 22nd, 2010, 21:16
Scottish Guy:

... and the reply ...

Most queens with any sense would ignore you and think another Wobinsons outfit!!

July 22nd, 2010, 22:16
Scottish Guy:

... and the reply ...

Most queens with any sense would ignore you and think another Wobinsons outfit!!

It's Lobinson's.

Get it light!

:occasion9:

Alaan
July 24th, 2010, 07:16
Sydneyboy, just returned from an excellent 3 night stay there at Bt1800 per night, and found it still to be up to it's excellent high standards. Very highly recommended.

So glad the likes of danny99 finds it 'not his sort of place' it helps the very positive and friendly ambience there not to be disturbed by nit-picking grouchy types.

July 25th, 2010, 01:55

Nah far from it, but anyway, the point being there are 4, 5 star hotels in that area which lookin on asiarooms are half the price. Malaysia Hotel does the same thing, it cheap, gay friendly etc. I don't believe in throwing away my hard earned money.

White Desire if you have never stayed at the TP how can you compare it with the Malaysia flea-pit? Just admit it you're a cheapskate who has to watch every last Satang. We only have to look at your posts over the years to see that whenever the Baht moves down a bit you are on the verge of an Apoplectic seizure.

I've been away from this board for a couple of years as it changed and became like Keystone Cops with an owner who doesn't give a f*** and a moderator who couldn't organise a piss-up on a brewery, but its the 'same same' old White Desire always moaning about a couple of baht. Just as well you did not invest in the now defunct glamorous building project in Jomtien as in view of the news in the last couple of days you'd be a nervous wreck by now.

Beachlover
July 25th, 2010, 12:23
What news of the glamorous development in the last couple of days?

July 25th, 2010, 15:55

Obviously you are a stranger to "the best" when it comes to hotels.
Tarntawan Place has been allowed to degenerate into an overpriced, badly maintained, out-dated gay establishment.
I have on many occasions expressed my views on this once, premier boutique hotel. I was shot down by the wankers who wouldn't know a good hotel from doss house.

The staff were always the best asset of this establishment and I hope for their sake it does not self destruct.

Beachlover
July 25th, 2010, 18:00
If the rooms are really 1,800, I'm not sure I'd say that's overpriced. 3,000 yes, 1,800 no.

Speaking of good staff... The Dusit also really needs an upgrade... Best thing I could say about the place is the staff. Food/view/location also great. But rooms, facilities and lounge really need an upgrade.

ceejay
July 29th, 2010, 18:38
the wankers who wouldn't know a good hotel from doss house.
That'll include me then, because I am in the Tarntawan at the moment. By the way, I have never tried to "shoot you down" - simply pointed out that my experience is different to yours.

The staff were always the best asset of this establishment
Indeed, and they are the main, but not the only, reason I keep coming back here.

Seems quite a few people agree with me about the TP. Right now it is not full, but it is busy, and this is hardly the high season, and nor has it been a good year for tourism for Thailand.

If the rooms are really 1,800, I'm not sure I'd say that's overpriced. 3,000 yes, 1,800 no.
Right now, 6400 package price for the first three days and 1800 for any additional days.

Beachlover
July 29th, 2010, 19:12
2,000/night isn't bad then. The rooms look old in their decor but otherwise, fine for a mid-tier.