PDA

View Full Version : What to do with that darn scooter...

cdnmatt
July 9th, 2010, 09:43
Motorbikes are stolen all the time in Pattaya.

Best answer I can give though is, Pattaya is a city that never sleeps. If you park it in the right place, there'll always be at least a couple hundred people around your bike, so nobody will steal it.

quiet1
July 9th, 2010, 10:15
If it's a rental moto-sai, be aware of a scam by some rental places: They "collect" their bike with their spare key when you park it some place, you report it stolen, and then have to settle with them financially when you tell them you aren't returning the bike.

If renting from the same place repeatedly, this is probably less likely, as it also is if you rent it from a place recommended by others. But, trolling the streets looking for the cheapest rental might become more expensive if this scam bites you.

HawaiiBoy
July 9th, 2010, 16:13
Bringing your own lock is a great idea.
I and a friend were staying at a cheap hotel in Jomtien some years ago and the management recommended we buy locks and put our valuables in their lockers. That sounded like a good idea, so we went to a local hardware outlet and bought a couple of padlocks. The next day I went to the locker for something and by mistake, put my key in my friend's lock. Lo and behold, the keys were identical, which made me wonder how many other locks in Pattaya had the same key.

Dodger
July 9th, 2010, 17:56
After renting a motorbike for so long I was considering buying one. I liked the new Yamaha Eligent model because it had a little more horse power - but Thep immediately informed me that I should not buy that particular bike because it was a bit more expensive than the other popular models - and would be a target for getting stolen.

I'm still renting but always concerned.

allieb
July 9th, 2010, 19:57
I usually stay at a friends house in pattaya and always use one of his motorbikes. Its always been in the back of my mind that it might get stolen. I leave it at the bike park at Jomtien during the daytime trips to the beach and at night in Boystown or Sunnee. I always leave the crash helmet in the basket in the front. The bike and helmet have always been there on my return. I guess I must be lucky.

Beachlover
July 10th, 2010, 14:04
Why rent one if he's got spares lying around?

I'm sure Allieb would do the decent thing if it was stolen.

July 10th, 2010, 18:45
...I'm sure Allieb would do the decent thing if it was stolen.

Vanish?

allieb
July 10th, 2010, 18:51
Why rent one if he's got spares lying around?

I'm sure Allieb would do the decent thing if it was stolen.

Thank you beachlover. My friend has several bikes and cars every time I stay I want to rent a bike but he insists on giving me the use of one. And yes I would replace it if stolen.

Nowvoyager

Some people have genuine friends where favours aren't counted at all, even in terms of money. Renting for only 200 baht has nothing to do with it at all. He gets great pleaseure in giving me full hospitality as I do with him when its the other way round.

Scotish-Guy

Vanish. Is that the way a Scotsman would deal with it? Pick up your kilt and run

July 10th, 2010, 19:38
Simple answer is buy a good secure motor cycle locking device in your home country and take it with you. It's unlikely that anyone would have a key to fit it. Like most locks etc. they are only used to deter the amateur criminal, who will more than likely move on to an easier target rather than spend time trying to remove the device from your bike.

gerefan2
July 11th, 2010, 07:02
They "collect" their bike with their spare key when you park it some place, you report it stolen, and then have to settle with them financially when you tell them you aren't returning the bike.

What they sometimes do is to come to your Condo/Hotel and "steal" it from there.
Giving a false address when renting it will stop that scam.