PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate Songkran post: A report from Chiang Mai

April 23rd, 2006, 06:03
Great report Rainwalker :bom:
Don't suppose you have any photos to post? :idea:

April 23rd, 2006, 06:41
... that Hedda and I (and countless other ex-pats) made the right decision and left Thailand to the Thais for a week or two

hulljake
April 24th, 2006, 02:14
Thanks for a great report! Brought back fond memories of Songkran 2005 in Chiang Mai. Couldn't make it there this year, but already planning 2007's trip.

ChrisUK
April 26th, 2006, 02:09
Thanks, Rainwalker, for putting this comprehensive post about the really fun time that is Songkran. I'm so pleased you experienced it with Thai friends by your side. I think this is one of the keys to enjoying it, rather than 'enduring' it.

All of this is loads of fun, and as the Thais say, "It's Sanook-Dee", but there are cautions involved and one should be aware that accidents do happen during the Songkran Festival. Be aware, be smart, and have fun. What you see here are simply kids jumping around and have fun...some aged 10 some 8 0. There are no strangers, there is no generation gap, no social class, just folks shedding out their formal social gestures and being what they really want to be. No suit, no ties, no diplomatic talk can escape the water spray. No fake, commercialized 'Thai' smiles today. ItтАЩs the real thing, and its everywhere, itтАЩs about "All for fun and FUN for all"!!

This sums it up for me, - Thai people, with their farang friends, having fun!

Sawatdee pee mai,

Chris.

April 26th, 2006, 12:22
That was a nice read RW, thanks.

Pete