PDA

View Full Version : length of stay in US allowed

gearguy
June 21st, 2010, 23:05
My Thai friend has a 10year visa for the US and he's been over a few times on it for a couple of weeks at a time.
Right now, he's not working due to the troubles over in Thailand (he works as an independent tour guide so you can
tell how his business has been impacted) and I suggested he come over to the US and stay with me for a while.
But I'm not sure how long he is allowed to stay each visit.

Any one have any info on this?

Much appreciated.

travelerjim
June 21st, 2010, 23:55
As I understand it...

It is up to the discretion of the US Immigration Officer
when the Thai lands in US and clears Immigration.

The Immigration Officer will ask many questions...
seeking to verify the Thais travel plans during the visit...
and that he is NOT to work.

My bf has been to US 3 times...

the first two times under a 1 year multi-entry Visitors Visa...
he was admitted each time to USA for up to 6 months...

the third visit under his new 5 year multi-entry Visitors Visa...
he was admitted to USA for up to 6 months as well.

Bf had itineraries, places he will be staying, contact phones and addresses,
and return ticket to Thailand...and ATM card with him too.

FYI...I entered the US all 3 times with him on same flights...HNL, IAD, & LAX.
but he processed through Foreign Visitors lines...
and I processed through the US Citizens lines....
so I would not see him until he entered the baggage area
after seeing US Immigration.

tj

gearguy
June 22nd, 2010, 02:16
Thanks for the info.

I did some google work on this after I posted. With B1/B2 visa, max stay is 6 months, but length is at discretion of
immigration officer at the border entry, as TJ mentions.

So when he comes over, I'll make sure he has a return ticket with an exact departure date (I was originally going to get
an open return, but it will be better if he has a fixed date of return. We can always change that. I'll probably do it for between 3 and 6 months.)

And have contact info, addresses, etc where he will visit. We have mutual friends in Palm Springs, so I'll include them.

Thanks again for the info,

Don

mahjongguy
June 22nd, 2010, 08:36
If his return ticket is for 3 months they will probably stamp him in for only 3 months. Better you should get the ticket for just under 6 months.

travelerjim
June 22nd, 2010, 09:14
If his return ticket is for 3 months they will probably stamp him in for only 3 months. Better you should get the ticket for just under 6 months.

FYI...
My bf's stay was for 15 days, 10 days and two weeks the third time...
all three times he was stamped in for 6 months.

tj

allieb
June 22nd, 2010, 12:40

No, as a matter of fact -- they tend to stamp you for six months as a matter of course, regardless of itinerary length. Especially if you have a record of travel (and behaving yourself).

6 months is entry stamp norm unless they suspect that he will be an illegal and try to seek work. A return ticket for 6 months might ring alarm bells. Better to get an open ticket whatever the cost and let him say he intends to stay about month or so. Its not against the law to change his mind and then stay till the 6 months expires.

thrillbill
June 22nd, 2010, 23:41
My Thai Bf of 5 years would love to come to the USA with me on holiday but I have not been encouraged after hearing the stories of Thais who are turned down getting a tourist visa to the USA if they do not have a "secure job" and money in a bank account. My bf is a tailor and runs a small shop selling clothes, but he makes just enough to get by. Buying him a round trip ticket is no problem, but I don't want to blow away the money either. Even Thais who have a high paying job with proof of a bank account have been turned down, so what is the ratio/ percent of Thais like my bf getting into the USA just to visit? Any experiences here...

mahjongguy
June 23rd, 2010, 08:01
Maybe that's the norm for 10-year visas.

My b/f was granted a tourist visa that was only valid for 6 months. When he entered, they stamped him in for the two week period of his return ticket.

I'm hoping that next time he'll get the 10-year visa.

mahjongguy
June 23rd, 2010, 08:05
His chances are zero, sorry to say.
If he's actually just your companion, then "zero" is probably correct.

But if he's actually your long-term partner and can document that he's been receiving a substantial allowance for a coupla years, and if your presence in Thailand seems permanent (e.g. you own a condo, etc.) then the odds go way up. It worked for me the first time we tried. For a couple we know in similar circumstances, it worked on their second try.

travelerjim
June 24th, 2010, 07:44
Maybe that's the norm for 10-year visas.

My b/f was granted a tourist visa that was only valid for 6 months. When he entered, they stamped him in for the two week period of his return ticket.

I'm hoping that next time he'll get the 10-year visa.

mg,

My bf has never been on a 10 year visa...
He was on a 1 year, multiple entry Tourist Visa the first two entries to the US...
he then got a 5 year, multiple entry Tourist Visa ...which he now has...

In all 3 entries to the US...he was stamped in for 6 months.

The first time we applied he was completing his second year of university and I was still working and living in USA...we had been together then for 2 years...and had
many documents, letters of recommendation and transcripts from his Thai university and support documentation from me too...he had already had stamps in his Thai passport showing he had been in and out of Thailand to Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, and had visited Amsterdam, Paris and Brussels on a Schengen Visa issued by The Netherlands...but still he was denied the US Visa.

All they wanted to see the first time he applied was his bankbook (a little money in bankbook), land papers (none) and asked what was status of his family (he is from a poor family)...support papers from me and others, including university and professors were not read...he was interviewed in Thai language, by a Thai at US Embassy...
Sorry, in three interview minutes, he as told...Visa denied...and if changes, you can apply again.

Two years later, when he completed his Bachelor's Degree studies in Business English Communication, I was then retired in Thailand, he was owner of a townhouse, had some money in the bank (mid 5 figures), and he had just returned from further Mandarin Language studies in Beijing.

He requested to be interviewed in English, which was done so by an American. Visa granted for 1 year multiple entry. I think my living in Thailand and that we had been together for 4 years was instrumental in his being approved. He had the house papers and bankbook with him at the interview, but was not asked to see them. The Embassy Officer did say he had read my letter of support describing history of our relationship and my commitment to continue financial assistance and provide health insurance and air tickets for his visit to USA.

INCLUDED WAS our COMPLETE proposed trip itinerary for OUR trip from Bangkok to USA and back ...wherein we were visiting USA together, was included...copy of OUR air ticket reservations (I used frequent flyer award ticket for him, so could change if needed...although just a copy of a proposed air ticket is OK too)... and I was able to be with my bf when he was interviewed this time...the Embassy Officer first chatted for about 5 minutes with me and bf together, then asked to solely interview bf - which he did for about 10 minutes.

When he went for his second US visa earlier this year 2010....the bf was the only person allowed into the US Embassy for the interview appointment....(a change in policy).

He again requested to be interviewed in English. By that time we had been together for nearly 6 years, he owned the townhouse, had some money in the bank, and had earned his Bachelor's degree. He also was an MBA student in a Thai university.

His interview went well. He was pleased to be greeted :hello2:
and be interviewed by the same US Embassy Officer gentleman who approved
his first visa...in fact the American recognized him as he walked up to his interview window and they exchanged greetings and asked about each other...
how things were going

The visa interview was for a couple of minutes, visa approved. :hello1:

tj

netrix
June 24th, 2010, 14:45
i'm curious...
i know a few thai guys who have been to the US. a couple just for holiday.
and a couple on work/study programs. 3 of them had never travelled outside
of thailand before but were given a US visa.

how are they able to get accepted so easily when its so difficult for others?
one boy comes from a poor family, his parents do not own a home. he is
in university and borrowed the money for a work program and came over
last summer for 3 months. never been out of thailand.

does anyone have experience with these programs? are they more able to
get approval?

Irish1972
June 25th, 2010, 04:10
Interesting topic, I qualify for a visa waiver because of my nationality, but as far as I remember we only get a 3 month stay and they are very strict on it. No extension without leaving the country no working of any sort, even a business meeting is deemed to be in breach of the entry permit.