View Full Version : from street kid in Pattaya to married with family

andrewcraig
June 15th, 2010, 14:56
On a thread re Rotary baobao replied with the following comment at the end

PS - If you feel compelled to help out in Thailand, try the Pattaya Street Kids Support Project. http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/navig1.html

I went to the link and clicked on how it all began and this is the story. You can go and read the story and see the photos here.
I have cut and pasted with only one photo.
http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/ ... _2009.html (http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/Pod_update_may_2009.html)
[attachment=0:3asp0w3o]pod_on_jetty.jpg[/attachment:3asp0w3o]

I am often asked how this charity began and for updates on the small kid who was really the start of it all. There were no preconceived ideas to set up a project then go and look for people to help, it was by pure chance (or my own clumsiness) that I tripped over a scruffy little street kid who was sleeping on a jetty in Pattaya and it is with this boy тАШPodтАЩ that the story starts.

тАШPodтАЩ is the kid who was the catalyst for this project. I tripped over тАШPodтАЩ on Christmas Day 1999 whilst I was visiting friends working as doctors near Pattaya. He was homeless, age 10 at the time and was sleeping on the streets of Pattaya his hands had been badly cut and had become infected, he was ill with a chest complaint and for some reason which still escapes me I decided to try to help him during my last few days in Pattaya. It was not to be as simple as I thought and it took many journeys back and forth between London and Pattaya over the next two months before someone to care for тАШPodтАЩ was found but this arrangement did not work out, he was badly treated and тАШPodтАЩ ran off back to a life on the streets.

тАШPodтАЩ was then arrested for sleeping on the streets and put in prison for a few days before eventually ending up at the Hauy Phong Children's Home where I was reunited with him again. but not before he had run off a couple of times during his first few weeks at the home. тАШPodтАЩ and I came to an arrangment (his!), тАШPodтАЩ would stay at the Home and I would visit him three times a year, luckily this arrangement worked out and тАШPodтАЩ settled at the home during which time we managed to find his mother and reunite them, although because of her circumstances at the time she was unable to have тАШPodтАЩ return home to her until he was aged 15. My three visits a year to тАШPodтАЩ continued and тАШPodтАЩ progressed and enjoyed his school studies and whilst still at the Hauy Phong Home, so that he could communicate better with me he learnt to speak and write English after telling me he was giving up trying to teach me to speak Thai as my ability to learn Thai was тАЬyou very bad you no good learn muchтАЭ.

It was from what I discovered during my many early
visits to see him as to just how many kids there are
just like тАШPodтАЩ living in poverty that this project was
born.
Although тАШPodтАЩ has not been supported by this
charity, but rather on a personal level, he has
received the basic state education and in April 2007
during one of my yearly visits to see тАШPodтАЩ we met
up again to mark the conclusion of his education.
His story is typical of many kids in Pattaya and
demonstrates how important a little support can be.

'Pod' is now living happily with his mother and sister outside of Bangkok and looking forward to a future in the military which he joined for two years in April 2009. This has been one of his ambitions and when I visited him for a few days in January 2009 he was really looking forward to starting on yet another new adventure in his already somewhat eventful life. ~ Don Ford May 2009

Update On September 6th 'Pod' phoned us to say that he was soon to be married and he was married on October 13th 2009 and is now the very proud father of a baby boy named 'Noah' born in March 2010

end of cut and paste

If you are still interested this link is to a page on Pattayas largest slum area. Story with photos
http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/gopai.html

Dodger
June 15th, 2010, 17:05
Andrew,

The compassion you showed for this young boy and the efforts you put in to help get him off the streets is very commendable.

Unfortunately, there are so many children who are just flung-to-the-winds by their parents in our beloved LOS. A Kingdom where 97% of the popuation claim to be Buddhists - and at the same time seem to struggle with the fundamental concepts. If the parents of an abondoned child were deteced in the West they would be arrested and severely punished. In Thailand it seems to be an aceptable practice.

Good going

andrewcraig
June 15th, 2010, 17:55
The compassion you showed for this young boy and the efforts you put in to help get him off the streets is very commendable.

Unfortunately, there are so many children who are just flung-to-the-winds by their parents in our beloved LOS. A Kingdom where 97% of the popuation claim to be Buddhists - and at the same time seem to struggle with the fundamental concepts. If the parents of an abondoned child were deteced in the West they would be arrested and severely punished. In Thailand it seems to be an aceptable practice.

Good going

Dodger I feel most embarassed All I did was a cut and paste from a guy named Don who lives in Brighton UK and who founded pattaya street kids.It was his story of how he came to become founder of the charity. In fact I first became aware but did nothing, when a former member Dick started to advertise the Pattaya street kids xmas party 3/4 years ago.

Dick or baobao can add more. I was so impressed I had to post. I can take no credit away from these fine folk.

maxdamron
June 16th, 2010, 00:07
Andrew, I want to thank you for posting or reposting this story. Since reading it several weeks ago, I contacted Don and am waiting for information on a child to sponsor. I had thought of doing it many times before but I guess seeing your post pushed me to make it happen. Thank you again.

bao-bao
June 16th, 2010, 03:46
Andrew, I want to thank you for posting or reposting this story. Since reading it several weeks ago, I contacted Don and am waiting for information on a child to sponsor. I had thought of doing it many times before but I guess seeing your post pushed me to make it happen. Thank you again.
You won't regret it. PM me if I can answer any questions, but (as the founder) you'll find Don to be the authority - and prompt to reply.

My story is still at: http://khunbaobao.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -gift.html (http://khunbaobao.blogspot.com/2010/04/gift-of-lifetime-lifetime-gift.html)

or go directly to the PSKSP site at: http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/navig1.html

June 16th, 2010, 19:58
This is one of the most worthwhile charities I have found in this so called LOS. I heard of the charity through the many events staged by The Venue in Pattaya and like so many others was moved by the suffering that these children endure.For many of us the occasional meal and a good night out in a good quality restaurant in the UK would set us back ┬г70 or ┬г80.To many of us this is a paltry sum that we would have no hesitation in spending.

In Thailand this sum will pay for the complete educational package of a child for a year.Such a small sum can make the difference in a child's life and with the education they will receive alter their future prospects in life. I have been fortunate enough in life to be in a position to sponsor two children both of whom I look forward to meeting when I arrive in November.

On the webiste for the charity one can also read of specific instances were a small donation can again get these people out of serious hardship which their desperate circumstances have put them in. If anyone reading this post feel that a committment to sponsor is not possible for them please consider making a small one off donation to enable the charity to in some cases relieve the family of a particular financial burden which to them is back breaking. Many of these people are forced to seek help from Loan Sharks sometimes a loan of as little as 2000 baht can cost them nearly 15,000 baht in one year just for the interest and still the loan will remain unpaid for many years.Dig into your pockets guys there cant be many of us that cant afford a couple of thousand baht to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

June 17th, 2010, 12:41
For those in Pattaya who want to support the charity, here's an opportunity:

http://www.gayaffairspattaya.com/diary/2706venue.jpg

June 19th, 2010, 13:38
The Pattaya Street Kids Support Project has just received an appeal from the Huay Pong Children's Home. This is the home that accomodated and rehabilitated young Pod who was mentioned by the OP.

They have received an influx of 20 new children, but without sufficient funds from the government to buy essesentials for the new kids such as bedding; and so are appealing for help.

If you would like to donate, please come along on Sunday night.

The home is also appealing for second hand computers (in working condition) to help teach the kids computer skills. If anyone has such a machine, please pm me or contact PSKSP direct through their web site.

Thanks

June 28th, 2010, 12:52
Thanks to everybody who supported the event, the total collected and given to the charity was 53,900 baht.

bao-bao
June 28th, 2010, 23:15
Thanks to everybody who supported the event, the total collected and given to the charity was 53,900 baht.
That sounds like a good collection! Nice to have so many chip in to help a very worthy organization.

As was posted above from their "origins" page the Pattaya Street Kids Support Project [PSKSP] started because of "Pod", a boy who later lived at the Hauy Phong orphanage. Now a fine young man with a wife and child of his own he's a success story that deserves repeating - and that's what the donations help to do.

It's VERY rare to find a charity with (A) the transparency (B) the good hearts and (C) the nearly nil administrative expenses that PSKSP has. Donations aren't filtered through some office or bank account that takes a cut - it goes directly to the students.

You can make a donation to a general fund that's used where it's needed most, or you can directly sponsor a child's education and make a lasting difference that way - whichever gives you the most satisfaction. Because of the regular support provided by Ting Tong members you'll find posts and updates on "how your money's being spent" posted there by "PSKSP".

I posted a story about this on my site ( http://khunbaobao.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -gift.html (http://khunbaobao.blogspot.com/2010/04/gift-of-lifetime-lifetime-gift.html) ) and you can read more about PSKSP on their site at http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/navig1.html

PS - I'm doing a copy/paste from their site here, too - because this was a key point in my decision to help them out:

We are a secular charity and do not support or promote any religious organisation. We are always prepared to consider working with any organisation in bringing help to children in need on the strict understanding that any such help is given unconditionally and does not involve the preaching, promoting or acceptance of any religion.

lonelywombat
July 8th, 2010, 11:14
The children needing sponsors has been updated with more children. There is also a report from a UK family's visit who took their new "sponsored girl" same age as their own daughter to the open zoo

http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/ ... nsors.html (http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/childrenneedingsponsors.html)

bao-bao
July 8th, 2010, 21:41
A worthwhile bump. Thank you.

lonelywombat
July 21st, 2010, 06:57
I have had several PM re the posts on children seeking sponsors. This is the latest

[attachment=0:1ctacg2h]CIMG1384.jpg[/attachment:1ctacg2h]

more photos including the parents
http://psk.posterous.com/a-child-in-des ... ed-of-help (http://psk.posterous.com/a-child-in-desperate-need-of-help)
Jul 19
A child in desperate need of help
Nickname 'Age' DOB 04/06/2001

This young boy lives at home with his parents in appalling conditions in a slum area beside the railroad tracks. To get to his house from the main road was not easy (impassable by car and tough for a motorcycle) but in the rain it is really treacherous. One of our regular volunteers, travelling by motorcycle along the main road, was almost brought off his bike by the force of the water as it swept down during a recent rainstorm.

The road is partially unmade, partially broken up (as if prior to resurfacing) and the drainage pipes are not connected, so sewage etc is everywhere. Once you reach the upper, side area where the house (a small, dark, airless ramshackle place with a roof that needs urgent attention, they have made themselves out of recycled trash) is, there are many mean looking dogs around.

The structure itself was tidy (considering the conditions). There was a small TV on a 2 door cupboard and a filthy bit of mattress. No mosquito net. The cooking area is part of the main room and there is a toilet/shower area at the back.

Mother is a prostitute on the beach, father was a trash collector who had recently been able to obtain work in a large store here and had hopes of being able to provide for his family. In fact, he was so optimistic he had opened a bank account for his salary to be paid into.

Mum was not at home when we arrived but Dad was there and, as can be seen by the photographs, has recently broken his arm. I was so sorry for him, as after 4 days work in his new job, he was stacking high shelves and had fallen from the ladder. Although he could get medical treatment at the hospital with his 30 B medical card, the company took no responsibility because he'd been with them for such a short time, PLUS they let him go. My heart went out to him. He is going to the temple to get food for them.

His wife, because of the rains and there being few tourists, is not getting many customers. When we were trying to see if his wife (described on the application form as a bar girl) was able to contribute on a regular basis to the finances of the household, the husband (obviously terribly ashamed and quite desperate) asked us to please keep our voices down, as he didn't want the son to find out what his Mum was having to do.

Pai, who had taken us to the house, had taken some snacks for the boy, which he devoured immediately.

The following day we sent some food to them via Pai.

Currently Suradetch walks to school, but said that if he had a bike he could ride there!

This is one of those cases that is really heart-breaking. I was so upset when I got to the car. For someone from the slum to get a decent job and grasp the opportunity to work hard to try and get his wife off the streets and make life better, only to see his hopes dashed almost immediately┬ЕI couldn't bear it for him.

http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com

bao-bao
July 21st, 2010, 07:57
At the risk of coming off as someone who's getting a cut of this (I don't) or worse, a cut-and-paste poster - this was the reply I made this morning to PSKSP's post about Suradetch on Ting Tong. Thanks to loneywombat for putting it up here.

What has been most inspiring to me on the few visits I've been privileged to make into the slum areas is the overall attitude of these children who are completely innocent in their circumstances. The homes may be what we in the West would call ramshackle, at best - but their clothes are clean, their attitudes seem hopeful in light of almost insurmountable odds and their smiles are still intact.

There but for the grace of go any one of us, and again I urge you to reach out and help someone less fortunate than yourself as best you can. One way I've found great satisfaction in doing so is through the PSKSP - but just drop by the Venue or Memories Music Bar and make a small donation in the kitty there if that's more convenient for you.

http://slumkids.org/ <-- a new and simpler URL for the Pattaya Street Kids Project.

PS - By the way, I [i]did mean "privileged" above. It's a privilege to be able to join in with these people as they go about their selfless work.

lonelywombat
July 21st, 2010, 13:18
This young boy lives at home with his parents in appalling conditions in a slum area beside the railroad tracks.

I couldn't figure out where this was...Pattaya?

I planned to do something, somehow for one of these kids, but I'm not sure how. I've been looking into some options. Giving money seems kind of impersonal, and there is the matter of trust. I guess a visit like this gives you a better feel for the situation and for that what is needed.

The man who started this charity, see the opening post this thread, Don lives in Brighton UK. His email address is
Pattaya Street Kids' Support Project <streetkids@ntlworld.com
I suggest you start by asking him about what you would like to do and what options are available. It seems almost weekly I hear of another sponsor for a child, a family or just the babies home or the orphanage.

In the main he posts to GTT, so when I see something interesting I post here for the wider
reading audience.

July 24th, 2010, 17:15
This young boy lives at home with his parents in appalling conditions in a slum area beside the railroad tracks.

I couldn't figure out where this was...Pattaya?

I planned to do something, somehow for one of these kids, but I'm not sure how. I've been looking into some options. Giving money seems kind of impersonal, and there is the matter of trust. I guess a visit like this gives you a better feel for the situation and for that what is needed.

The man who started this charity, see the opening post this thread, Don lives in Brighton UK. His email address is
Pattaya Street Kids' Support Project <streetkids@ntlworld.com
I suggest you start by asking him about what you would like to do and what options are available. It seems almost weekly I hear of another sponsor for a child, a family or just the babies home or the orphanage.

In the main he posts to GTT, so when I see something interesting I post here for the wider
reading audience.

I met a couple of the people who are trustees of the charity you mention during a vist to the UK a month ago, Don being one of them, I cannot recall the name of the lady who was with him. I had contacted the charity from Canada where I was working and asked if it was possible to meet up during my 5 days in England.

They met me at Brighton station and after giving me a whirlwind tour of Brighton ( I had never visited before) they happily explained the workings of the charity, answered to my satisfaction some questions I had about how funding is used and I found them to be really genuine 'normal' people. I was not asked to sponsor a child nor to make a donation and they seemed happy to just meet up with me and chat and fill me in on details about the charity.

I have since returning home sponsored two girls for their education and maybe I will be able to do more in the future. I have been impressed by the quick responses to emails I have sent to them and also the fact that Don discouraged me from sending extra cash for the children until the charity could get a clear picture of what the kids needs were so that I could decide how any money I sent was to be spent.

As a 'bonus' they treated me to my first British Pub lunch :bounce: