PDA

View Full Version : Any feedback on GLITZ Hotel, Suriwong Bkk.

Alaan
June 10th, 2010, 04:53
On my last visit to Bkk I passed the Glitz Hotel a few times and it looked quite good.

I was looking to try a different hotel in Bangkok Suriwong/Silom when I visit next month, but when i checked out the Glitz website all the rooms appear to have a bathroom with glass or frosted glass walls/doors. Although such hotels describe these setups as romantic, sexy or whatever, i personally find nothing romantic about potentially being able to see your partner or partner-for-the-night take a dump or whatever, especially if your friend needs to 'prepare' himself for later activities.

So has anybody had any experiences of any of the rooms at Glitz and can confirm the bathroom set-up. Or are they anything like the Chedi bathrooms which are open to the room, but they also have wooden shutters which can be drawn round curtain-like and closed for privacy, and there was also a seperate toilet for privacy.

Showering or taking a bath together is fine and can be fun, but i prefer to be spared the toilet activities both for myself and potential partner.

fedssocr
June 10th, 2010, 08:33
Shameless Mack has a couple of mentions of this hotel on his blog
http://shamelessmack.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/traps-lying-in-wait/

I seem to recall a thread here or on one of the other board that dealt with it as well. Didn't sound like the kind of place I would stay...some issues with the layout of the rooms and the bathroom situation as you raise.

June 10th, 2010, 08:54
The review is here:

http://shamelessmack.wordpress.com/2010/04/09/fk-the-fuchsia-wheres-the-desk/

Alaan
June 10th, 2010, 22:02
Thanks for the feedback and the link Macaroni21. It's a pity about the bathroom set up as the rooms look nice.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but none of the 6 comments on Macaroni21s website review seemed bothered about the bathroom or even mentioned it in passing. Even though my Thai partner and I are both comfortable with nakedness in private together, we still both prefer privacy in the toilet part of the room.

It also seems at odds with the general attitude of Thais themselves, who are much more modest compared to Westerners. How many of you have a bf or have had a friend for the night practically set up camp in the bathroom, especially the gay or femme boys, who take an age for a quick pre-romp shower and you wonder 'what the fuck do they DO in there' well i suppose an overnight stay in the Glitz would solve that one.

If all the rooms are set up as the example in Macaroni21's link I'll give Glitz a miss. But any other actual experiences of hotels/apartments in the Silom/Suriwong/ Saladaeng area would be appreciated. Tarntawan, Baansaladaeng, Omyim and Rose excepted as I already have experience of those.

June 11th, 2010, 14:40
I recently spent a couple of nights at the De Arni on Suriwong. Reception staff are very friendly. Room was a bit small, but adequate. Price reasonable. No joiners fee.

(Next to Meridien, opposite Siam Heritage, 2 minutes walk to Soi Twilight)

fedssocr
June 12th, 2010, 03:12
Depends how much you want to spend I suppose.

I didn't dislike the le Meridien. The location is ideal. The rooms are nicely appointed. I really liked the breakfast but I know others have complained about it. If you can get a cheap rate here it is a good place to stay.

These days my accommodations of choice is the Siri Sathorn Apts. The location in Saladaeng Soi 1 is fairly quiet (other than the construction site next door, but that should be nearly complete by now). It's a bit of a walk to Silom (maybe 10 mins) and then a little further to Suriwong obviously. There is a shuttle van to the BTS but I have never used it. I think they will also shuttle you to other places you may want to go around the CBD. The apartments are large. They have a full kitchen. Breakfast buffet is included and I have always found it to be fine. Furniture is pretty nice but will probably need a bit of refreshing shortly. There's a token-operated laundrette which comes in handy on long trips. They are managed by the same company that runs the Sukhothai Hotel. Rates in the Bt3500-4000 range if you plan ahead which may be too much for most people. There's no joiners fee or any such thing. I only ever took a boy back there once. The doorman gave me a bit of a look but no big deal. Lots of Asian tourists stay there with their golf clubs as well as families of people in town on long-term business.

Alaan
June 18th, 2010, 17:35
Thanks for the reply fedssor, I've actually booked with Baansaladaeng as they have a very good rate for July, Bt1500 for their best top floor rooms with large balcony area down from the usual Bt2500. So I'll give that room a try.

While i'm there I'll have a look at a couple of places which have been suggested for my next visit around Sept/Oct time.

thrillbill
June 18th, 2010, 19:45
Some of the hotels in the Silom area have reduced their prices up to 40-50%. If you go to Agoda site, you will see the reduced prices available IF YOU ARE BOOKING TWO OR MORE WEEKS in advance. The Dusit is reduced to 1990 baht per night!!! and others have reduced their rates...except Bally and the Rose Hotel. The Glitz is over priced right now.

Beachlover
June 20th, 2010, 19:29
Dusit, Le Meridien and Sofitel look pretty well priced now.

If the Dusit is only 2,000 baht (even if this is their most basic room) you'd be insane not to stay there over one of the cheaper budget/mid-tier hotels.