PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia and Pinnacle Hotel soi areas

thrillbill
May 22nd, 2010, 13:20
The other night it was on Twitter that the "Reds in Black" had reached soi 1 Sathorn and were burning tires around an apartment building . Next, there were more reports of fighting in that area. I have also seen pictures of thug vandalism done on those soi's. I've heard of innocent people shot that Tues. night around these two hotels. Does anyone have more information on this? Sad.

Beachlover
May 22nd, 2010, 14:14
During the worst days I remember seeing cries for help on twitter - from people stuck inside an apartment building on a Sathorn Soi - saying the reds wouldn't let them leave and looked like they were trying to set the building on fire... saying there were kids in the building and calling them barbarians etc.

May 22nd, 2010, 17:55
http://tweetphoto.com/22801100 << tyres piled across frm Pandanus.

http://twitpic.com/1pk9q1 << Entrance to Nam Du Phli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwxL8DS1 ... r_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwxL8DS1de8&feature=player_embedded) << intense fighting on Nam Du Phli (I/m just not that familiar w/ the SNDP entrance but am sure that is it)

TrongpaiExpat
May 22nd, 2010, 18:07
As of 22 May (Saturday) Rama 4 is still closed and a big mess. Nhamdupree at Rama 4 is closed and pretty much totally demolished by fires. The brand new K-Bank on the corner is gone. The Pinnacle has damage, but not bad, and is closed. Vincent's is closed, minor damage. All the way down Nhamdupree there's road damage, electric wire damage and lots of debris. Many of the building have broken out windows. Works crews are all over Rama 4 but few on Nhamdupree, Swansawat and Sathorn 1. The soi are open to motocy traffic and you can walk around all the mess. The buildings on on both corners of Rama 4 and Nhamdupree have to be demolished and that's going to take some time.

Two young guys got shot the night before it went real bad (15 May) on Nhamdupree. There's writing on the walls and buildings in Thai and English where it happen. What happen is Reds in Motocys and tuk tuks were attacking the outer containment zone army posts. These posts were on Rama 4 but the Red attack came from behind and caught the army by surprise. They must have shot two. Another was shot over by Swansawat, the next street over off Rama 4. This was all the night before the fires.

The Malaysia Hotel remained open through it and came out without a scratch. Some farangs bunkered down there. Some business in the area have reopned now but pretty much close up by 5pm even though the curfew is 9pm now. Lido, and Trajai are open and the food delivery service is available until 9pm. O ho's was closed but the sign said open?

Babylon, no idea but it's not easy to get to now. The only way to get around by motocy taxi by going around all the smoldering debris and broken glass. The Thai news papers ran a lot of photos of the area but not in today's Post or Nation, that I saw.

May 22nd, 2010, 18:16
lucky it was a peaceful protest, or imagine the damage that there could have been </sarcasm>

Beachlover
May 22nd, 2010, 19:42
What happen is Reds in Motocys and tuk tuks were attacking the outer containment zone army posts. These posts were on Rama 4 but the Red attack came from behind and caught the army by surprise. They must have shot two. Another was shot over by Swansawat, the next street over off Rama 4.

They sound real peaceful.

It's so sad thousands of of the red shirts were brainwashed into thinking their protest was really peaceful. Clueless...

May 22nd, 2010, 19:45
quite a few other people believed it too, many of them working in the international media....

Beachlover
May 22nd, 2010, 20:17
During the final assault there was clear footage of black shirt protesters firing automatic weapons at the soldiers.

One reporter following them reported the soldiers were also met with a barrage of 40mm grenades... one of which injured a couple of soldiers (half blew off one young soldiers arm) and badly injured a reporter.

May 22nd, 2010, 23:03
What happen is Reds in Motocys and tuk tuks were attacking the outer containment zone army posts. These posts were on Rama 4 but the Red attack came from behind and caught the army by surprise. They must have shot two. Another was shot over by Swansawat, the next street over off Rama4.

They sound real peaceful.

It's so sad thousands of of the red shirts were brainwashed into thinking their protest was really peaceful. Clueless...

At least we in the West are not so easily lied to - nor so readily brainwashed by our Governments.

Now where are those Iraqi WMD's again?

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

TrongpaiExpat
May 22nd, 2010, 23:42
To clarify, when I say Reds attacked, actually they had shed the Red shirts and bandannas by then and were just guys on motocy's, on foot and in Tuk Tuks. They looked just everyone else on the soi. That's the point this became an urban guerrilla war. Some even had jackets that said, Police.

The one I saw on Nhamdupree that was shot looked quite young. This was 15 May about 2030 hours. His friends picked him up and sandwiched him between a Motocy driver and another rear passenger and took off, I assume to a hospital. Everyone then ran and drove off in all directions. I noticed many had bags of fire crackers, rockets and very small Molotov cocktail bombs. A tuk tuk almost ran me over.

I was in this neighborhood, going to dinner and did not expect that this was in a danger zone. In fact it was outside the new containment zone. There was no containment.

Shorty after seeing this, I left town for 4 days and returned to a very different Bangkok, one that is still smoldering.

Beachlover
May 23rd, 2010, 07:40
Sobering huh?

It's just crazy what they did.

TrongpaiExpat
May 23rd, 2010, 12:03
I was somewhat lulled into a sense of false confidence of my safety until that night. I had seen close up several of their parades, and had passed over and near the encampment quite often. These were not the same people that I had seen in the parades and sleeping under the BTS. Lucky for me, farangs were not a target and they seemed to go out of their way not to harm me when I was in the wrong spot at the wrong time but when it gets that crazy anyone can catch a stray bullet, get hurt or get trapped in a situation with no way out.

I was planing on going out of town anyway, but moved it up a day when I got caught up in all this. I have noticed a lot of self styled farang playing war correspondents and put themselves in the line of fire to get a good picture or make become a U-Tube star. Fine, it that's you job but I wonder what motivates the average Joe from wanting their 10 seconds of fame dead or alive.

Beachlover
May 23rd, 2010, 12:11
Sounds like you got away just in time before the worst started.

Are you back in Bangkok now? What is it like?

I think tonight's the last night of the curfew. Let's see if all the usual venues open on Monday night.

TrongpaiExpat
May 23rd, 2010, 12:34
Yep, Back in Bangkok since Thursday night. Most business in central Bangkok have been closing at dusk rather than at the official curfew hour. Some, like Babylon and Balcony have announced that they will reopen today, Sunday. Others remain close.

I have not been out yet today, but yesterday work crews were slowly clearing and repairing the damage to the area. I can't see it being finished by Monday. No reports of any violence or disturbances. Traffic has been light the past few days, few going out. Many gas stations around central Bangkok are out of gas. Grocery stores still short on food.

MRT just opened, not sure if Silom station or Lumpinee is open. News now says yes, reality might be another thing. Going out now and will see,

Get out of Central Bangkok and it's another world, no indication that anything every happen.

Beachlover
May 23rd, 2010, 12:45
Richard Barrow is reporting a big clean up is now underway. It's called the "together we can" campaign.

Thousands of Thai along with some farang have turned out to help... looks like a huge amount of work... aside from the rubbish and debris, everything needs a good scrubbing down, fences, telephone booths, statues, walls etc. There's a lot of graffiti to scrub off. Singha and other brands are handing out free food, drinks and water.

I think all the cosmetic damage will be cleaned up today... but things like broken footpaths and burnt buildings will take longer.

You can see the big clean up with lots of pics of Silom etc. here: http://twitter.com/richardbarrow

thonglor55
May 23rd, 2010, 13:12
It's a pity Babylon was inaccessible for a lot of the time although I then heard it was closed temporarily. Fortunately I was able to sit it out on Gay Romeo 24/7.

TrongpaiExpat
May 23rd, 2010, 16:50
It's better than I expected. Sathorn soi 1 is open. That barricade on soi 1 near the soi to Babylon has been removed, they never got a chance to ignite that one. The Danish Embassy has removed all the sand bags and wire they put up when it got bad. Nhamdupree is closed as they demolish the buildings at the corner near Rama 4.

The extremely over weight black dog that sleeps at the corner of Nhamdurpee and Rama 4 has survived, but has moved down the soi.

Still a lot of broken windows and trash around. The 7-11 on the corner of Nhamdurpee and Sribumphen covered their windows in news paper, like that was going to help, and now still have it all up. Street vendors out and selling food.

Rama 4 is open on the outbound side to two way traffic. Rama 4 from the expressway to Silom (inbound) is closed but it looks like it might be open by tomorrow.

Sathorn, Silom and Witthayu open both sides.

MRT open all stations until 8pm. BTS open, no stoping at station Ratchadamri. Transfer station (Siam) open but limited exits.

Very few people out and about, traffic very light.

Curfew tonight at 11pm but if previous night are any indication, many places will close at dusk.

Beachlover
May 23rd, 2010, 16:58
The extremely over weight black dog that sleeps at the corner of Nhamdurpee and Rama 4 has survived, but has moved down the soi.

That's detail lol. Thanks for the update.

TrongpaiExpat
May 23rd, 2010, 18:14
Sextile over at CRS is giving very detailed reports on the Silom/Lumpini area. Worth a look.

http://web.cruisingforsex.com/bb/thailand/337279-how-about-bangkok-now-6.html

May 23rd, 2010, 19:21
It's a pity Babylon was inaccessible for a lot of the time although I then heard it was closed temporarily. Fortunately I was able to sit it out on Gay Romeo 24/7.

If you're referring to me, I haven't even been in Bangkok for the past month, much less on Gay Romeo.

TrongpaiExpat
May 24th, 2010, 20:09
Rama 4 now open both sides, all lanes. The K-Bangkok and adjacent building on both corners of Nhamdupree and Rama 4 are just left in a burned out shell. A little bit of caution tape around one corner but otherwise you could just walk into the gutted half falling down buildings. Quite dangerous I would think.

I guess it's now up to the owners of the buildings to finish the demolition? The city got the roads repairs, cleaned up and open. You can still see fire damage to the road and median but the road was resurfaced and open to traffic. And, when I say traffic, I mean TRAFFIC. Everyone came back out today.

The army and the police are on post but not in big numbers.

Went into the Esplanade mall today, lots of security. I guess after seeing Central World go up in smoke, they're a bit nervous. MRT checking all bags of passengers very carefully now. Police in every station. MRT closing at 2100. All stations open.

Beachlover
May 24th, 2010, 20:34
I suppose tonight is the last night of the curfew... Tomorrow we get to see if the late night venues start opening again.

May 25th, 2010, 01:09
There are some good photos of the Rama 4 area here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/thaksin-judgement-related/photo/178533/Damage-on-Rama-IV

Pic 4 - I think is taken from the footbridge near Soi Ngam Duplee looking towards the expressway.

Pic 6 - shows the corner of Soi Ngam Duplee, I think.

(Soi Ngam Duplee is the turn off to the Malaysia Hotel from Rama 4)

krobbie
May 25th, 2010, 02:32
Trongpai, thanks for the updates. Obviously important to me as lover has to get back to work (started again Monday afternoon) at Sukhumvit Soi 3 which has been closed for a week.

Cheers
Krobbie

Beachlover
May 25th, 2010, 04:41
One hell of a mess they left in those photos.

TrongpaiExpat
May 25th, 2010, 11:31
So how many building did all that count as? You can see the fires took out a string of individual business in adjoining buildings. Then there's those totaled and those with some damage, repairable. Here is a good visual example of what the satire web site ' Not The Nation' is taking about.

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=914

Beachlover
May 25th, 2010, 14:35
Heh... that article is hilarious. Not The Nation had a field day with the protests:

www.notthenation.com (http://www.notthenation.com)

------------------------------------
http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=914

TAT Demands Foreign Media Stop Exaggerating Story, 36 Not 38 Buildings Torched

'This is typical of the foreign media which loves to sensationalize events in the country,' says governor

BANGKOK тАУ The Tourism Authority of Thailand has called on foreign journalists to stop projecting a negative image of Thailand by exaggerating the situation in the country, claiming that several news outlets have overblown the destruction in the city by reporting that 38 buildings have been torched by arsonists.

тАЬThe correct figure is 36, plus 2 vendor carts,тАЭ said TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasreni. тАЬThis is typical of the foreign media which loves to sensationalize events in the country.тАЭ

The TAT Governor also clarified that 83 people had been shot to death, not 84 as claimed by the BBC.

тАЬOne person died of a heart attack at the protest site during a gun battle. She was not shot at all. The BBC should really get their facts right before reporting them to the world.тАЭ

The governor also took issue with the constant stream of negative images taken by photojournalists.

тАЬThere are many parts of the city, namely in the upper Sukhumvit area, that continue to thrive and demonstrate the peaceful Thai way of life and culture. Why must they always focus on the 50% of the city that has been paralysed or destroyed, or where residents live in fear for their lives as they fall asleep to the rat-tat-tat of sniper gunfire?тАЭ

Asked about the abundance of troops in the city and how that looked to the rest of the world, he replied indignantly, тАЬEvery country in the world has problems. Every country. Soldiers killing their own people is not unique to Thailand. Please. And neither is a massive prostitution industry, for that mattter. Every country has prostitutes everywhere and soldiers shooting bullets at its own people.тАЭ

Questioned about the damage caused by the fact that 4 tourists had been cut down in the crossfire since early April, Suraphon replied, тАЬHundreds of tourists are either injured or die in travel to the Kingdom every year. This is only a tiny percentage of the millions of visitors who enjoy Thailand and live to tell the story.тАЭ

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=910

Mob of Interior Designers, Architects Set State Tower On Fire

BANGKOK тАУ Carrying canisters of gasoline and torches, a well-dressed mob of interior decorators and international architects have torched the State Tower, purely for aesthetic reasons.

Having decided the Greco-roman tower fringed with balustrades and topped with a golden dome housing gaudily decorated restaurants was an eye sore that could no longer be tolerated.

Reports that the group is currently headed to the Robot Building are unconfirmed.

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=909

Journalists Continue To Parachute Into Bangkok

File wildly discursive and incongruous stories about the crisis

BANGKOK тАУ Several foreign correspondents were spotted in the skies over Bangkok today, parachuting in to the capital the day after the crisis subsided in order to file one report and bolster their resumes.

Upon landing they were seen looking disoriented and asking passersby for the way to тАЬBang, bang? Shoot, shoot? This way?тАЭ

After getting pointed in opposite directions by helpful, nodding Thais, and walking in circles for several blocks, they then jumped into a tuk tuk which ground to a halt in rush-hour traffic for over an hour. Then one journalist suggested taking the тАЬelevated railтАЭ to тАЬDemocracy MonumentтАЭ.

Finally reaching the nearest fire, a smoldering noodle shop on Rama IV, they piggy-backed on the hard work of locally based correspondents who had been covering the story for months and years, been shot at and risked their lives.

With the cameras rolling before the last embers faded, the journalists filed wildly discursive and incongruous stories about the crisis: one, on how an extremely Buddhist, forever peaceful and unified nation steeped in pacifist principles had combusted overnight, another on how Thailand is a monarchy famous for its spicy food, prostitution and elephants, and the final one, in flak jacket and helmet, on how the lese majeste laws enforced by тАЬKing Phoopiphan DulyjejтАЭ prevented him from reporting openly from тАЬthis civil war-torn Asian metropolisтАЭ as several people drank beer nearby.

The journalists were reportedly flying out early tomorrow.
http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=905

Coup Alert As All TV Stations Showing Panda Channel

The playing of panda footage has often signaled the beginning of a military coup in Thailand

BANGKOK - ThailandтАЩs citizens went on full alert Wednesday when all Thai television stations ceased their normal broadcasting, and were instead showing live video feeds of the Panda Channel.

The change began at 7:35am Bangkok time as Thai army troops were breaking through the barricades at Lumpini Park, and reporters were describing intense gun battles and explosions. The broadcasts were suddenly cut off and replaced with images of ThailandтАЩs two beloved pandas.

The playing of panda footage has often signaled the beginning of a military coup in Thailand, where universal reverence and love for Lin Hui and Lin Ping is considered a unifying factor that can pacify Thai citizens with reminders of their common bonds.

International news stations were cut shortly afterward, with CNN, BBC, NHK, and even CCTV replaced by written announcements that Lin PingтАЩs birthday was coming up and that the nation would be rejoicing on the auspicious occasion.

Social networking sites were abuzz with coup rumors until about 10am, when all web traffic was redirected to a live webcam feed of Lin Hui scratching her belly and rolling over playfully.

By 2pm the live feed of the pandas was replaced with archival footage of the baby pandaтАЩs first day, as well as edited footage of highlights of the first year of the beloved iconтАЩs life. ChildrenтАЩs music played over the footage, while superimposed text described Lin Ping as the тАЬHeart of all Thais.тАЭ

The only non-panda source of live information in Bangkok by that time was Twitter, through which numerous Thai and foreign reporters sent out real-time updates describing running gun battles, dozens of wounded protesters, men in black firing automatic weapons at army positions, helicopters overhead in clouds of black tire smoke, and screams of women and children, the setting of fires in office buildings along Rama 1 road, the use of teargas, confused protesters attacking cars, the sniper targeting of journalists with video cameras, and a river of blood running down the gutters of Din Daeng.

Although neither the Thai army nor the government has issued any kind of statement, it is generally believed that some kind of change in leadership has taken place, but with assurance that the new leadership will work hard to protect ThailandтАЩs pandas.

As of 3pm Bangkok time, downtown Bangkok was burning, and LinHui, the mother panda, was sleeping peacefully while baby Li Ping chewed on bamboo while resting on its motherтАЩs belly.

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=906

Government Warns of Severe Tire Shortage

BANGKOK тАУ Finance Minister KornChatikavanij warned today that the Kingdom was facing a severe shortage of cheap, used tires following the red-shirted protests.
Fires set by the UDD since May 15th are estimated to have destroyed up to 7.5 million quality used tires that are normally circulated throughout ThailandтАЩs extensive discount auto-parts market. It is feared that forcing mass-market car an pickup truck owners to buy new tires may cause a recession in other consumer spending.
тАЬWith no more old tires, motorists will be forced to buy new ones, which can cost up to Bt20,000 for a set of four,тАЭ Korn said at a press conference. тАЬThatтАЩs a lot of money.тАЭ
Korn called on B-Quick, Eagle Tire Store, and Goodyear Center to help alleviate the crisis by offering special promotional prices for the near future. He also encouraged Bangkok residents to try taking public transportation more often.
тАЬThe BTS should be open again soon,тАЭ he said. тАЬOnce they put out the burning tire fire inside Chitlom station.тАЭ

bucknaway
May 26th, 2010, 04:54
I can't help but to think back to a poll that was on the board (Was it this board?) that some guys said they would only avoid Thailand if the airport was effected. If there was bloodshed they claimed it would not effect their vacation plans. I think they may have changed their minds :sharm:

Bob
May 26th, 2010, 09:29
I think they may have changed their minds

It's interesting to note that those who seem to talk about changing their plans and/or who have been crying wolf the loudest over the situation are those who don't live in Thailand and/or the occasional tourist who hasn't been here for quite a while (I think you're in the later category, Buck). Falang tourists have nothing to worry about other than some inconvenience caused by the curfew in limited locations.

bucknaway
May 26th, 2010, 17:52
You never have anything to worry about until it's too late. Or you one of the unlucky few who are dead.
(Also it was a poll of those of us not in Thailand answering the question as to what would force us to delay a visit). I also have seen other boards where Farang/falang (Non-Thai) were getting the heck out of Thailand to avoid all that Non-worry that was rolling downhill towards them. hehehehe

Bob
May 26th, 2010, 21:14
You never have anything to worry about until it's too late. Or you one of the unlucky few who are dead.

And just how many falang tourists were killed or even injured during the Bangkok troubles? None (not counting the few foreign journalists who were sadly killed/injured when they were in the midst of the troubles). The sky hasn't fallen, Buck.

May 26th, 2010, 21:18
He's a Republican, Bob.

His life revolves around fear.

maisoui
May 26th, 2010, 22:31

That's detail lol. Thanks for the update.

Seconded. Those of us who count "Pandanus" as one of our favourite restaurants in the whole world are seriously relieved to hear that, that pile of menacing tyres is gone.

joe552
May 26th, 2010, 23:52
Bob, this is one falang tourist who changed his plans about visiting Thailand, and the only reason for that (as mentioned in a previous thread) was that my travel insurance would not cover me (for anything, not just 'red unrest' events). Call me a wimp or whatever, but I choose to be prudent and have travel insurance. So I'm going to Cambodia (tomorrow as it happens).

Those of us who live overseas and travel infrequently to the Kingdom obviously rely on other sources for information, and cannot be as informed as those who live there, and know what the situation really is on the ground.

Most of us who post on this board, or even just read it, have an affection for Thailand, and hope all the issues can be resolved peacefully. But that is no reason (as far as I'm concerned) to be foolish and travel without adequate (and valid) travel insurance).

krobbie
May 27th, 2010, 02:16
I can't help but to think back to a poll that was on the board (Was it this board?) that some guys said they would only avoid Thailand if the airport was effected. If there was bloodshed they claimed it would not effect their vacation plans. I think they may have changed their minds :sharm:

Not I Buck. I went on May 7 and returned on last Sunday May 23, so I had a very interesting time. I can't say that I was unaffected as travel around the city was particularly difficult the last week with no BTS and all the roads off Rachaprasong and several others closed. Most affected was my shopping (MBK), though I dared not voice that at the time as it seemed so petty (and still does).

The first week though was business as usual and I even met another SGT member at Balcony for drinks and dinner. It really only blew out the last 5 days of the trip which were were a little hair raising. I have to stress though, that I would rather have been there with my lover than he there and me home. It would have cost me a fortune in phone calls. In a way something like this cements even further our commitment. Pleased I was there but saddened but the entire event. Death is most always needless or avoidable.

Cheers
Krobbie

Bob
May 27th, 2010, 07:01
Call me a wimp or whatever, but I choose to be prudent and have travel insurance.

Nah, would never do that, Joe. It's a matter of choice obviously and I respect your choice to decide it either way you want to do it. My comments were more aimed at those who have overemphasized the non-existing (or negligible) personal danger.

As for travel insurance, I don't bother with it. My medical insurance back home will reimburse me for covered items and, as to repatriation of my body should a tuk tuk nail me, I won't really care at the time plus I'm planning on being roasted in the nearest stupa.

May 27th, 2010, 07:08
Why so stressed out about medical insurance in a country like Thailand, where 5-star medical care is available so cheaply? So, in a worst case scenario, you have to have a major operation. A few thousand bucks, max.

maisoui
May 27th, 2010, 14:23
my travel insurance would not cover me (for anything, not just 'red unrest' events). Call me a wimp or whatever, but I choose to be prudent and have travel insurance.

But that is no reason (as far as I'm concerned) to be foolish and travel without adequate (and valid) travel insurance).

Insurance that does not cover you for anything is not insurance; it is a scam.

TrongpaiExpat
May 27th, 2010, 20:46
The Pinnacle remains closed, don't know what the problem is. Might be electrical, lot of workmen in the web of electrical wires at that corner in front of the burned out buildings. Traffic lanes remain open but sidewalk blocked here and there.

Ibis has a total of 3 rooms occupied but there's life at the Malaysia, diehards I assume.

Beachlover
May 28th, 2010, 13:33
Nah, would never do that, Joe. It's a matter of choice obviously and I respect your choice to decide it either way you want to do it. My comments were more aimed at those who have overemphasized the non-existing (or negligible) personal danger.

As for travel insurance, I don't bother with it. My medical insurance back home will reimburse me for covered items and, as to repatriation of my body should a tuk tuk nail me, I won't really care at the time plus I'm planning on being roasted in the nearest stupa.

That's great because medical is all that really matters... I think most reasonably well off people don't care about covering lost luggage, cancelled flights etc. stuff that's never going to amount to more than a few hundred or few thousand dollars. It's just the medical bit that's concerning... the possibility (even though remote) of astronomical medical costs in the case of serious injury or illness.

Beachlover
May 28th, 2010, 13:46
Why so stressed out about medical insurance in a country like Thailand, where 5-star medical care is available so cheaply? So, in a worst case scenario, you have to have a major operation. A few thousand bucks, max.

A few thousand bucks is nothing but I think the worst case scenario would actually amount to much more... a couple of hundred thousand or in some very very rare cases, a million. Chances of this are obviously very low but it does happen.

An Australian recently died in India while waiting for his family (who were barely covering the costs of treating him and keeping him alive) to raise enough funds to fly him back here.

He was a teacher with poor financial means....had a fall... was paralysed.... didn't have insurance.

When his family couldn't cope with the costs anymore, they started a public appeal to raise enough for a medical airlift back to Australia (where Government pays for treatment). They had just managed to raise enough and were in the process of organising the medical airlift when he died.

May 28th, 2010, 21:21
LOL. I'll take my chances.

yaraboy
May 28th, 2010, 21:46
Getting back to Topic
Jimmy advises that Pinnacle will reopen May31

TrongpaiExpat
May 30th, 2010, 13:34
Babylon is open, admission 130B with a sign that says " Due to the unusual unprecedented unfathomable political situation in Bangkok admission is 130B"

Actually, less dramatic, and with less adjectives, the pool is closed for resurfacing. I was told it would take about 2 weeks. Downstairs restaurnat also closed.

Two lanes closed on Rama 4 all weekend for demolition of buildings. All the tangled web of wires that usually loops and loops in all directions above the soi is now half either on the ground or with in reach---I would not stand in water and touch anything. The sidewalk from Nhamdupree to Sawansawat is closed and blocked. Sidewalk open more or less from the station Lumpini to Nhamdupree.

Pandanus, if anyone cares, is still closed for repairs. Ch. 3 uses Pandanus for remote spots for some of their soaps. I guess the Red arson mobs did not know that or they would have burned it to the ground.

anakot
May 31st, 2010, 17:19
LOL. I'll take my chances.

Just hope we don't have to contribute to the 'Oops I did it again Repat Fund' wouldn't be the first fund I've contributed to!! There are some scary stories out there as Beach lover has touched on a few.

Well while I love Thailand I don't want to be where folk are being shot at such as Sala Daeng station where a woman was killed and an Oz was injured. Also NOT interested in passing my time in any place where there is a curfew. Fortunately i can choose and chose to go to Japan instead.

As a very long term Pinnacler I was sorry to see the hotel was closed. BUT pleased to hear that 'Veronica' (the v. fat pooch at the corner) has survived but moved up the nagam duplee soi. (thanks Trongpai for the report on Veronica. Of course I'll be back. I do feel sorry for the expats caught in the middle of this whole fuck up. The pity about it is things will not change for expats regardless of the outcome.

May 31st, 2010, 19:19
[X] Take it easy: http://www.unodc.org/images/data-and-an ... ources.jpg (http://www.unodc.org/images/data-and-analysis/Homicide-sub-region-two_sources.jpg)

"Most criminal activity is limited to "non-confrontational" street crimes such as pick-pocketing, purse-snatching, jewelry and other assorted tourism frauds, and credit card theft. The local police are generally effective in assisting with minor crimes, but are continually hampered by a lack of funding and adequate training." https://www.osac.gov/Reports/report.cfm ... tID=114779 (https://www.osac.gov/Reports/report.cfm?contentID=114779)

"During my years taking photos of that underworld, less than a handful of cases i photographed ever made it into the English language papers, unfortunately, while many cases i have photographed were reported on in Thai language newspapers. This of course leads to the common misconception under many foreigners that Thailand is compared to the west a relatively crime free and safe country."

http://www.bangkokhospital.com
http://www.bumrungrad.com

June 7th, 2010, 16:29
Two lanes closed on Rama 4 all weekend for demolition of buildings. All the tangled web of wires that usually loops and loops in all directions above the soi is now half either on the ground or with in reach---I would not stand in water and touch anything. The sidewalk from Nhamdupree to Sawansawat is closed and blocked. Sidewalk open more or less from the station Lumpini to Nhamdupree.

Hey all... new to the forum so squeeze gently!

I'll be in Bangkok in a few weeks and I'm wondering if Pinnacle's a good idea. Mainly I'd like to know what the area's generally like right now traffic-wise, eg. the sidewalk from the station, and whether Ngam Dupli itself is closed/blocked in any way. Is it business as usual on Rama 4 by now?

Basically at the given price point, I like Pinnacle more than virtually all of the newly-constructed hotels, ie. it feels like a real hotel, not a shophouse with lusciously thin walls... so any help would be greatly appreciated :boxing:

TrongpaiExpat
June 7th, 2010, 19:03
The Pinnacle was reported to reopen around the first of the month, I don't have a conformation that it did but if your booking via Jimmy as most do, he would know. There's security fences around all the damaged buildings. No ATM's replaced on the corner but there's some down by the Malaysia and inside the Station at Lumpini. Easy walk to the MRT from the Pinnacle with no major obstructions now. The 7-11 on Rama 4 was one of the casualties.

The good new is that you should have no problems finding a room at most any hotel right now.

The closest AEON ATM if you want to avoid that BOT extra charge is at the Silom Complex. Enter via the BTS sky walk at Station Saladaeng, take a right and walk around to the right around the corner on the second floor and look for AEON, not easy to spot. It's a big ATM with a small sign and often a line of customers.

June 7th, 2010, 19:53
Thanks for the prompt reply! Greatly appreciated :P

I did make an inquiry with Jimmy, and he sent me the prices stating it's open from 31 May - but without answering anything else, so I just needed a second confirmation somehow. Back when things were normal in February, taxi cabs were already reluctant to hit Ngam Dupli, so I just don't want to see drivers wave a finger and say "uh uh lady, no can do" at the airport... something like that. :blackeye:

I remember the two banks, the 7-11 and Tesco Express well, and I remember the shock when I heard they were torched.

June 7th, 2010, 22:49
I just don't want to see drivers wave a finger and say "uh uh lady, no can do" at the airport.

And why would taxi drivers say "uh uh LADY"?

paperboy
June 8th, 2010, 00:17
how much is ataxi from the airport bkk to the malasia hotel?????
please.

TrongpaiExpat
June 8th, 2010, 00:21
Depends on the time of day and day of week but around 250B--280B plus tolls of 25B and 35B.

June 8th, 2010, 09:25
And why would taxi drivers say "uh uh LADY"?

I kinda have a special way by which I cup my manboobs and squash them like... ahem.

I just don't want to be refused a ride based on "omg I heard it's still dangerous based on some frivolous hearsay"... I know I'm over-thinking this, but in my part of the world that's a symbol of intelligence and achievement... so there. :sign3:

yaraboy
June 16th, 2010, 07:43
Just left Bangkok after 2 days stay. Pinnacle was a disaster as construction with drills going on from 9 to 6.Even on Sunday
Was rather annoyed at Jimmy for not advising me. He did not seem well and subsequently learned from another person that he may have had a small stroke, so felt bad about being a bit short with him. Went to Ohho Excellent meal and Bert in fine form. Has new cook and very pleasant waiters