View Full Version : Curfew in Pattaya

Dani69
May 19th, 2010, 22:45
Wow Pattaya under curfew tonight from 20.00 until 06.00 tomorrow God I┬┤m glad I am not there.....now

Pattaya under curfew

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20.05.2010 | news Newsdesk http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?c ... ws_id=6302 (http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?coun_code=se&news_id=6302)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Wednesday Night at 8pm, Pattaya Police backed up by Pattaya City Hall Security Officers began a tour of the city and ordered all establishments, including Bars, Discotheques, Banks, Shopping Centers and Convenience Stores, to comply with a Curfew order issued by ThailandтАЩs Prime Minister earlier on Wednesday.

The order came into force at 8pm and is expected to last until 6am on Thursday and may be repeated throughout this week until the situation in Bangkok and other provinces, where rioting is taking place, is brought under control.
Here in Pattaya this could not have come at a worse time as the city struggles to continue life as normal while 150 kms away in Bangkok, fires have been reported at over 20 separate locations around the Thai Capital as the remaining Red Shirts refuse to leave the Capital quietly.

Reports from Laem Chabang Port on Wednesday Night indicate that fires have been lit close to the entrance to the port and Riot Police have been deployed to the area to restore order. Pattaya-based Red Shirts have attended these demonstrations and rumors are spreading that they may be sent back to Pattaya later on Wednesday Night.

Back in Pattaya, rumors spread earlier on Wednesday evening that a bomb had been discovered at Big C in North Pattaya which had been closed since early evening. This rumor was found to be untrue and the center had been closed due to the curfew order.

With many 24 hour convenience stores closing, panic buying has begun and Police were called to one minor incident at a store in Soi Neun Plub Wan which led to no arrests and was brought to a conclusion quickly.

We will have a full report on the curfew and its effects on Pattaya on Thursday but we must inform people currently residing in Pattaya that if you are caught breaking the curfew, you may be liable to arrest and could be fined. We can only suggest that everyone return to their homes or hotel rooms until Thursday morning.

paperboy
May 19th, 2010, 23:02
thanks for the report

can you keep us up to date , whats going on in pattaya, on the main news its all bangkok
thanks, i arrive e on wednesday

May 19th, 2010, 23:05
thanks for the report

can you keep us up to date , whats going on in pattaya, on the main news its all bangkok
thanks, i arrive e on wednesday

If I was you I'd keep your options open and if need be postpone your trip. This doesn't look good at the moment, but we can only hope it does fade out sooner rather than later.

Dani69
May 19th, 2010, 23:09
My BF works there and the police called to his hair Saloon and said that the Curfew is indefinite
.......... 20.00-06.00 until further notice. Scary Stuff..

Patexpat
May 19th, 2010, 23:34
For those of us living, working and have businesses here I can assure you that this is no joke. My bf is simply horrified at watching his country tear itself apart, and for the next few days at least we who live here (and on holiday of course) will need to keep alert, vigilant and safe.

Dani69
May 19th, 2010, 23:36
Bravo i could not have put it better myself Scary stuff for those people living there and it certainly is no laughing matter.

paperboy
May 20th, 2010, 00:12
i really hope it sorts its self out soon,
was chatting with a thai boy on msn, he is very very sad tonight.
unless they close the airport, i will be there next wednesday :hello1:

netrix
May 20th, 2010, 00:27
Yes curfew is in effect in Pattaya too. Spoke to 2 friends there an hour ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100519/ap_on_re_as/as_thailand_politics

Curfew In Force In 24 Thailand Provinces
A 10-hour curfew came into force in Bangkok and 23 other provinces at 8 p.m., and the
government said army operations would continue through the night in the Thai capital.

It is the first time that Bangkok has been put under curfew since 1992, when the army
killed dozens of pro-democracy demonstrators seeking the ouster of a military-backed
government.

"Tonight is going to be another worrisome night," government spokesman Panitan
Wattanayagorn said.

zinzone
May 20th, 2010, 11:48
3 more nights of curfew:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand- ... 67273.html (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-Imposes-Curfew-Nights-t367273.html)

Patexpat
May 20th, 2010, 12:48
yes, three more nights of curfew with slightly reduced hours I believe - 9pm to 5 am. Also my admin person has just got back from lunch - went to put gasoline in his bike and said that only one pump was working due to there being no tanker delivery .... don't know if this is widespread problem or not?

lonelywombat
May 20th, 2010, 13:11
Just received this email from twoguys guesthouse

Hi I an sure you have been following the news about the Red Shirts in Bangkok.
It appears now that the Leaders have handed themselves over to the police and the army have cleared the protest site. Unfortunately some looting and fire damage has been caused , notably the Central shopping precinct, downtown Bangkok.

Last night Pattaya (among many other cities) had a curfew imposed,the Police came round at 10 PM and told all the bars that were left open to close.
This morning I heard there had been a report that Big C had been set on fire. So at 08.30 I jumped on my motorbike and visited both Big C's to find that they were both still standing and nothing had happened. I drove all along second road,beach road and Pattaya Tai, all were quiet and appeared normal (for Pattaya)

Pattaya appears to be calm and getting on with business as normal (Curfews notwithstanding) We are waiting to see if the curfew will be extended tonight.
Hopefully calm will now be restored and lessons have been learned.
If anything of interest happens I will keep you posted.
Regards, John

May 20th, 2010, 18:27
Thanks to both of you ,this is relevant information and much appreciated.

Just received this email from twoguys guesthouse

Hi I an sure you have been following the news about the Red Shirts in Bangkok.
It appears now that the Leaders have handed themselves over to the police and the army have cleared the protest site. Unfortunately some looting and fire damage has been caused , notably the Central shopping precinct, downtown Bangkok.

Last night Pattaya (among many other cities) had a curfew imposed,the Police came round at 10 PM and told all the bars that were left open to close.
This morning I heard there had been a report that Big C had been set on fire. So at 08.30 I jumped on my motorbike and visited both Big C's to find that they were both still standing and nothing had happened. I drove all along second road,beach road and Pattaya Tai, all were quiet and appeared normal (for Pattaya)

Pattaya appears to be calm and getting on with business as normal (Curfews notwithstanding) We are waiting to see if the curfew will be extended tonight.
Hopefully calm will now be restored and lessons have been learned.
If anything of interest happens I will keep you posted.
Regards, John

bigben
May 20th, 2010, 21:21
Slightly off topic, but the doormen at Nice Boys & Good Boys (both in sinful Sunee) will be open for business starting at 18:00 Hrs. to about 21:00 ish.

Of course I explained that will put the customer very near the bewitching hours...but they didn't understand that.

I was watching my watch all nite and didn't have time to checkout the bars in Jomtiem or Boyz town. Maybe someone else can help.

Apparently these new hours will be in effect until the curfew situation is on going.

Cheers....

May 20th, 2010, 23:09
Of course I explained that will put the customer very near the bewitching hours...but they didn't understand that.

What they couldn't understand was why the customer couldn't -- using his own brain and freedom of movement -- leave the bar at the correct time to allow himself to be home by the bewitching hour.

gorcum-old
May 21st, 2010, 08:36
are the bars open from 6 pm until 9 pm in sunnee and are their customers?

lonelywombat
May 21st, 2010, 13:08
This was just posted by krobbie on the BKK thread. I copied only the part re the curfew.
posted at 1300 friday thai time

The curfew has been a necessary nuisance. Can't get out to meet people for dinner etc. but is enabling the Police and army to get on with routing out the rest of insurgent types that are still lurking. Tonight the curfew is from 10.00pm - 5.00am, so an extra couple of hours to go out. Tomorrow maybe even later start. Maybe 11 - 5.
Cheers,
Krobbie

paperboy
May 21st, 2010, 20:27
just seen on http://www.thaivisa.com/
the curfew is lifted in pattaya
that must be good news for everyone

lonelywombat
May 21st, 2010, 20:36
just received fom twoguys an update from a farang in the heart of sunee.
great place to go to find out what is happening, where to go and not to go.

Twoguys <john@twoguysguesthouse.info> 21 May 2010 21:16

UPDATE ON THAILAND 21/05/10
In order to quell any rumours that are going round, we can absolutely confirm from personal observance.
This morning the following were open:
* Big C South
* Friendship
* Tukcom
* All the small shops we could see
* Bank ATMs
* Bank exchange windows
* The immigration office at Jomtien
* The banks themselves were NOT open and said they wouldnтАЩt be open until Monday
* A passenger who arrived late at the airport had no problem coming down to Pattaya in a taxi. No challenges were made.
* Last night Sunee Plaza was largely open until 9 pm. Most bars were open from 6 pm. Tonight we have heard that most bars will be open from 5 pm to 9 pm. This will include many of the gogo bars.
The advice seems to be come early, drink, eat and play to your heartтАЩs content until 9 pm. Then find a good book or a good boy to settle down with and have fun. WeтАЩre not going anywhere without you!

May 22nd, 2010, 01:37
I'm sure if I had a hat I would be throwing it in the air.

For some of the SGT members it must be like VE/VJ day all over again.

:bis: :occasion9: :bis: :occasion9:

Beachlover
May 22nd, 2010, 09:00
LOL... Yes, this curfew must have been a very distressing intrusion in their busy lives.

lonelywombat
May 23rd, 2010, 08:22
Whilst this is stale news by now, I had not seen it posted. it will be reassuring for those still planning to visit in the near future.

Curfew lifted in Pattaya

Published: 21/05/2010

The Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) lifted curfew in Pattaya on Friday night.

The announcement, which was made at 8.45pm Friday, is effective immediately.

Curfew imposed in Chonburi province greatly affected tourism in Pattaya, so the CRES decided to lift curfew there, according to local reports.

The curfew has been imposed in Bangkok and 23 other provinces since Wednesday.

Curfew lifted in Pattaya