PDA

View Full Version : It comes down to this?: Thaksin wants his money back?

Smiles
May 19th, 2010, 10:26
Part of a larger article in The Nation:

. . . The defiant crowd presented another snag after Thaksin allegedly made demands that could not be met by the government. According to a government source, Thaksin, through his representatives, appeared uninterested in an early end to the red shirts' protests and riots as long as he did not get what he wanted.

"As long as Thaksin does not get what he wants, he won't let this end so easily," said the source. "His latest condition is that he wants not only amnesty in the different cases against him, but also have his passports returned. Those conditions cannot be met by the government."

Violence continued but with decreased intensity in Bangkok, with Bon Kai and Rajprarop remaining the most sensitive areas, where sporadic gunshots and explosions were still heard. The fatality toll since last Friday was 37, excluding Maj-General Khattiya Sawasdipol. Nearly 300 people are injured.

Thaksin's influence in the ongoing secret talks between the government and the red shirts was confirmed by another source from the opposition Pheu Thai Party.

The source, who is close to the ex-premier, said that certain Pheu Thai leaders and Thaksin's close relatives were also involved in the secret talks. In addition to other conditions, such as the date for a new election, Thaksin also made his personal demands.

"Up till now, there have been no positive responses to the demands. These include a return of part of assets from the asset-seizure case and a return of Thaksin's passports," said the Pheu Thai source.

The source also said that Thaksin has a "trump card" in hand that he would use if the talks fail.

"The real strategists [Thaksin's allies from the military] will play an underground game by staging sabotage acts in different areas throughout the city and other major provinces in order to pressure the government to accept Thaksin's conditions," the source said . . .

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/20 ... 29689.html (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/05/19/politics/Peace-hopes-fading-30129689.html)

May 19th, 2010, 11:40
of course Thaksin denies it all:

Thaksin: Stop blaming me
Published: 19/05/2010 at 11:20 AM
Online news: Breakingnews

Convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra posted a Twitter message on Wednesday, calling on the government to hold talks with anti-government leaders of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) directly.

The ousted premier said the government needed to understand that holding negotiations with the UDD was way beyond him.

"Stop blaming me. It has been four years and you [the government] are not satisfied," the message said.

Thaksin said he had always told the red-shirt leaders to jointly make decisions without worrying about him since they were most aware of the situation.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... blaming-me (http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/178416/thaksin-stop-blaming-me)

Lunchtime O'Booze
May 19th, 2010, 21:00
Thaksin wants his money back ?

Louis Vuitton want their one hundred suitcases back that he fled with stuffed with cash !!

May 20th, 2010, 21:14
It's not just about money - Thaksin wants to be the President of Thailand.

May 20th, 2010, 23:02
Correction: Thaksin wants to be Life President of Thailand.

May 20th, 2010, 23:29
The King broke protocol when he made his birthday speech back in 2002/3 when he actually said "This is Thailand not Thaxsin Land"....

Let's hope it stays that way!

krobbie
May 21st, 2010, 13:13
I think Thaksin's bargaining chips, if any indeed remain, may have melted like so much chocolate in his very deep pockets.

It really is too bad about what he wants or does not want, because now he will be roaming the world like a well shod hobo with no country to call his own. In fact the world for Thaksin has become increasingly small with many of the desirable countries no longer allowing him entry these days. Perhaps he will buy a desirable rock in Montenegro?

Just my opinion though,
Krobbie

May 21st, 2010, 15:13
Correction: Thaksin wants to be Life President of Thailand.

or rather Life President of the People's Democratic Republic of Thailand

May 21st, 2010, 18:39
Mr Taksin is a wonderful, honest, loveable and cuddly person, and he gave me ten grand to say so, so it must be true. I'm in line for a cabinet post - I think its the china cabinet.