PDA

View Full Version : Gay Chiang Mai My Dee

thaiguest
May 15th, 2010, 10:50
Something bad has happened to Gay Chiang Mai.
I've just returned to Bangkok from there after an absence of 2 years. Despite all the problems here I heaved a sigh of relief when I got back.
The 3 big bars I visited (Circle, Adam's Apple, New My Way) are run on identical lines; domineering staff, pushy boys (albiet handsome) and expensive drinks. It's like as if some consultant was called in by all 3 to enforce more stringent policies. From the moment I approached the doorways I was 'taken in hand', ushered firmly inside and shown a specific seat- not always of my choice. The drink menus were more or less the same at 190 baht per drink. On a regular basis I was asked if I wanted more and that I didnt seem interested in taking off a boy was patently frowned upon. The boys themselves constantly 'hustled'. I was short-changed to the tune of 300 baht in one of the bars. The cahier on duty in New My Way was probalbly the most unpleasant creature I've ever come across in Thailand. He snatched my money and snarled giving my back my change when I decided to leave after 1 drink.
Then the bars near the Night Market had their own problems. Full of straight boys of a 'younger' age profile playing pool and hustling for free drinks. I asked 3 of them for ID but none could oblige.
I know I've asked this before but am I getting crotchety in my old age? Has anyone else had this experience in Chiang Mai recently?

Patexpat
May 15th, 2010, 11:11
I was thinking of a short break in Chiang Mai later this year but this report has really put me off! Any good stories about CM pls?

pudel
May 15th, 2010, 14:48
We have been in CM in March (3 weeks) and visited also NewMay, FreeGuys and Adams Apple which was the most boring
we have ever seen :glasses7: the first 2 were amusing and quite good shows :occasion9: as I remember we didnt pay
in any place 190 baht for a drink and pushy it wasnt either :protest: greetings from cold Switzerland <pudel

DamienZ
May 15th, 2010, 18:38
On a regular basis I was asked if I wanted more and that I didnt seem interested in taking off a boy was patently frowned upon. The boys themselves constantly 'hustled'. I was short-changed to the tune of 300 baht in one of the bars. The cahier on duty in New My Way was probalbly the most unpleasant creature I've ever come across in Thailand. He snatched my money and snarled giving my back my change when I decided to leave after 1 drink.

Hmm.
Well, I was really hesitant to throw in on this one. I am personally biased in favor of CM and most things there. How can I put this? I think that one could be on the French Riviera, and if you go in from the start with a shitty mind set, you will get shit. GIGO-you know? In all fairness, where was your focus? Your business of course, but as I recall, that if you are looking specifically for the types of thrills you can get in say, Pattaya (and I do love those thrills!), then maybe it is better that you spend your time and money there? CM is definitely not Pattaya, or Patong. As you know Lanna and The North is not for everyone, and most travel blogs will tell you this.
I love CM and have never had any of the problems that you speak of per se, other than what I brought with me (and trust me, that is quite enough).

The bars at the peak as I understand it, have been said to have fallen into a state of decline as of the last few years, and this is probably true. In all fairness though, did you walk across the road to one of the many Night Markets and Bazaars? The beautiful colored lights and foods of Anusarin, or sit out in the open air at Ping Ping Sea Food? Did you see any of the sights? Visit any of the temples, Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon the highest peak in Thailand? The air is clear and beautiful up there. There are so many things to do and see in CM, I trust on your next trip if you should decide to return, you might look at some of these suggestions. I try to keep a place in mind, heart, and spirit, during these difficult times for the Thai people. To keep a place, for an amazing country and an amazing and beautiful people. This is what you come for is it not?
And what is so amazing about Thailand? It is the natural beauty of their country and the natural beauty of the Thai people. And, please try to keep in mind that, when not in turmoil and periods of "adjustment" (not to diminish in any way the sadness and loss of the current situation of politcal unrest)-..you keep coming back for more when you can, yes?
So cut them some slack eh?

I leave you with a bit from the Immortal Goddess..Joni

"People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm..."
Joni Mitchell-Amelia

Take it easy.
DZ
:hello2:

http://ka9op9mi9prae.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/p.jpg

doug7363
May 16th, 2010, 03:58
I went to CM last week for the first time for 5 years.

Went to the Circle Pub, yes the drinks were expensive but it was a good show with good dancing - hard c..k and plenty of variety. Then went to Free Guys that had a really raunchy hour long show - I would not put anyone off visiting CM !

Bob
May 16th, 2010, 08:17
Something bad has happened to Gay Chiang Mai.
Has anyone else had this experience in Chiang Mai recently?

I was in Chiangmai from October to the end of February and attended each of the above establishments (and a couple of others) multiple times and, frankly, other than the drink prices, I don't recognize any of the behaviors you cite. I always went and sat where I wanted to sit and nobody steered me anywhere. I almost never offed anyone and never got any hassle about that. I don't recall any of the boys ever "hustling" and I wasn't short-changed anywhere. And I never had any hassle or unpleasantness from the cashier at New My Way.

While I recognize you're just writing about what you experience, I'm rather dumbfounded that all this could befall one guy. Just bad luck?

As to the night market bars, I went a couple of times last year and saw none of what you say you saw; however, I also went a couple of times in January and February and there clearly were half a dozen or more under-aged kids hanging around. One kid sat down with a falang I was having a drink with and I asked him his age - he was 16 and I saw his ID to confirm that. Obviously, things are changing around there.

May 16th, 2010, 10:15
How to enjoy Chiang Mai?
http://www.misplaced.net/stfu/gaydar-anim.gif
With a fully operational gaydar system!

thaiguest
May 16th, 2010, 11:34
On a regular basis I was asked if I wanted more and that I didnt seem interested in taking off a boy was patently frowned upon. The boys themselves constantly 'hustled'. I was short-changed to the tune of 300 baht in one of the bars. The cahier on duty in New My Way was probalbly the most unpleasant creature I've ever come across in Thailand. He snatched my money and snarled giving my back my change when I decided to leave after 1 drink.

Hmm.
Well, I was really hesitant to throw in on this one. I am personally biased in favor of CM and most things there. How can I put this? I think that one could be on the French Riviera, and if you go in from the start with a shitty mind set, you will get shit. GIGO-you know? In all fairness, where was your focus? Your business of course, but as I recall, that if you are looking specifically for the types of thrills you can get in say, Pattaya (and I do love those thrills!), then maybe it is better that you spend your time and money there? CM is definitely not Pattaya, or Patong. As you know Lanna and The North is not for everyone, and most travel blogs will tell you this.
I love CM and have never had any of the problems that you speak of per se, other than what I brought with me (and trust me, that is quite enough).

The bars at the peak as I understand it, have been said to have fallen into a state of decline as of the last few years, and this is probably true. In all fairness though, did you walk across the road to one of the many Night Markets and Bazaars? The beautiful colored lights and foods of Anusarin, or sit out in the open air at Ping Ping Sea Food? Did you see any of the sights? Visit any of the temples, Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon the highest peak in Thailand? The air is clear and beautiful up there. There are so many things to do and see in CM, I trust on your next trip if you should decide to return, you might look at some of these suggestions. I try to keep a place in mind, heart, and spirit, during these difficult times for the Thai people. To keep a place, for an amazing country and an amazing and beautiful people. This is what you come for is it not?
And what is so amazing about Thailand? It is the natural beauty of their country and the natural beauty of the Thai people. And, please try to keep in mind that, when not in turmoil and periods of "adjustment" (not to diminish in any way the sadness and loss of the current situation of politcal unrest)-..you keep coming back for more when you can, yes?
So cut them some slack eh?

I leave you with a bit from the Immortal Goddess..Joni

"People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm..."
Joni Mitchell-Amelia

Take it easy.
DZ
:hello2:

http://ka9op9mi9prae.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/p.jpg
Maybe you have answered my last question correctly i.e. I am getting contrary in my old age. My post was about GAY Chiang Mai. I'm very familiar with historic CM, cultural CM, shopping CM, floral CM etc. and these are the CMs I'll be concentrating on in the future if the anwser to my question is that I'm not getting contrary in my old age and that the gay bars I visited are in fact what I found them to be on this trip.

May 16th, 2010, 12:10
An update, in case it has not already been mentioned here: Powerboys is closed. The space is "under renovation", said the receptionist at the hotel. Will it reopen as a similar bar? Don't know, he said. (Even if he said he knew, I wouldn't have believed his answer anyway.)

As for the comments in the original post of this thread, Chiang Mai does have its own "system", but I've never thought it pushy or rude. Some Bangkok bars can be far worse.

pudel
May 16th, 2010, 15:16
We also love CM, the 2nd time 3 weeks there and its not enough :hello1: but I forget the night-market 'gay-bars'
we found them NOT gay at all (3 falangs in their best ages) there were many boys playing pool and VERY underage
and they didnt look very clean (the few falangs there either) :laughing3: <pudel

chillnorth
May 16th, 2010, 19:44
Interesting take on the commercial gay scene here in CM. It's easy to piece together some of the OP's points.... drinks at the few "major" bars are indeed rising near Bangkok prices... I've seen the cashier at New My Way on bad nights and can imagine him being rude. I can think of a couple of mama-sans in Pattaya and Soi Twilight who would probably win a contest for being more unpleasant even on good nights. The new Adam's Apple is simply not the same business as the old one. Regarding the night bazaar bars with some "young" looking straight boys playing snooker and hustling drinks, well, I would assume from your observation you don't choose to spend time in Sunee, so why visit a pale imitation here?

As other threads have covered, it seems that the commercial scene in Thailand is changing and surely Chiang Mai along with it. I still go to Pattaya when I want to relax or I'm meeting farang friends who want to enjoy themselves-- they surely don't want to come to Chiang Mai for a party. My Thai friends from Bangkok and Phuket run to Chiang Mai when they want to cut loose, and love it. As a local I can vouch for the fact that the gay scene is quite healthy and with so many universities in town and a substantial Thai Yai population there is still even a bustling if quieter commercial one if you know where to look. You just have to be willing to open a bottle and listen to a lot of karaoke.

Pudel, I agree with you, I think. Street kids are not so tidy and farang are often much worse. The next time you're up in CM please let me know. I'd love to invite you to a drink in a nice clean bar. I'm sure your heart is in the right place and it would be so much easier to figure out just what the fuck you're trying to say.

pudel
May 16th, 2010, 23:00
I didnt want to criticzise CM and the people there in anyway (I have good friends there after our 2nd visit we have been
only with Thais together :hello1: ) but I was a littlebit shocked about the scene in these NightMarket bars! I have written in an earlier thread how we liked the shows, bars and restaurants (except the AdamsApple).
By the way my mothertongue is Swiss-German and NOT english, sorry <pudel

Thai Dyed
May 16th, 2010, 23:41
...there were many boys playing pool and VERY underage
and they didnt look very clean...

I never realized you had to be any special age to play pool. Thanks for letting me know pudel.
And about looking clean: well, really! You're a veritable Miss Manners aren't you pudel. Maybe they were just poor, but that wouldn't be something that anyone from Switzerland could possibly empathize with I guess.
[attachment=0:jccmbbvi]pudel.jpg[/attachment:jccmbbvi]

May 17th, 2010, 00:26
In Thailand, poor people are usually just as clean as rich ones. Now...homeless, drug-addicted juvenile delinquents like those that hang out and play pool at the beer bars in Chiang Mai -- those are a completely different matter.

Thai Dyed
May 17th, 2010, 07:26
Now...homeless, drug-addicted juvenile delinquents like those that hang out and play pool at the beer bars in Chiang Mai -- those are a completely different matter.

By Jove, you've done it again, and you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! This is art imitating life to its fullest as portrayed by the literary giants such as Jean Genet, William Burroughs and Bruce Benderson as well as a host of others! I'm packing my bags right now for Chiang Mai to get involved in the great drama of life instead of being an idle and parasitic literary bystander.

I've got my copy of Naked Lunch in hand and have some great expectations brought to mind by Burroughs writing over 50 years ago, to wit:

"Rock and Roll adolescent hoodlums storm the streets of all nations. They rush into the Louvre and throw acid in the Mona Lisa's face. They open zoos, insane asylums, prisons, burst water mains with air hammers, chop the floor out of passenger plane lavatories, shoot out lighthouses, file elevator cables to one thin wire, turn sewers into the water supply, throw sharks and sting rays, electric eels and candiru into swimming pools (the candiru is a small eel-like fish or worm about one-quarter inch through and two inches long patronizing certain rivers of ill repute in the Greater Amazon Basin, will dart up you prick or your asshole or a woman's cunt faute de mieux, and hold himself there by sharp spines with precisely what motives is not known since no one has stepped forward to observe the candiru's life-cycle in situ), in nautical costumes ram the Queen Mary full speed into New York Harbor, play chicken with passenger planes and buses, rush into hospitals in white coats carrying saws and axes and scalpels three feet long, throw paralytics out of iron lungs (mimic their suffocations flopping about on the floor and rolling their eyes up), administer injections with bicycle pumps, disconnect artificial kidneys, saw a woman in half with a two-man surgical saw, they drive herds of squealing pigs into the Ka'bah, they shit on the floor of the United Nations and wipe their ass with treaties, pacts, alliances."

chillnorth
May 17th, 2010, 09:26
No defense of homelessness, drug addiction, or juvenile delinquency here. Between bouts of snooker, these lads should have good houses with showers and new clothes, test negative for everything imaginable, and be at work or in school. I don't stand around sniffing a lot, either the boys or certainly the farang (been on a baht bus in Pattaya lately?). If the bars in question represent the hotbed of "young-looking" activity in CM, that market niche is in worse trouble than the rest of the commercial scene.

Yaa ba is everywhere (in the world), of course. Honestly, the only time I've seen it openly traded or smelled solvents were in Bangkok and Pattaya in establishments too well known and with too much power for me to name here, but you can tell when it kicks in at any party or bar. And one of the funnier moments of recent months was opening the door of a bar in Pattaya to find a stageload of boys decidedly not ready for graduation from technical school and a neatly arranged audience of well dressed middle-aged Chinese women, purses on laps. Faces of the ladies just before the door slammed in my face= priceless.

TD, if you're coming north to find Burrough's world, bring a backpack and prepare for disappointment. They just blew out the opium den and put in another McDonald's. You'll have to join a trek for any truly inspiring degeneracy.

pudel
May 17th, 2010, 17:28
Hello Oops, thank you :hello1: you wrote exactly what I wanted to say <greetings from Switzerland pudel

May 18th, 2010, 13:18
What happened to Ratchada Cafe?