PDA

View Full Version : Buddha's birthday - all bars closed?

May 12th, 2010, 16:44
Buddha's birthday on May 21 - is it true that all bars and discos are closed on that day and that restaurants are now allowed to serve alcoholic drinks?

I am planning to visit Bangkok from May 20 to 23 - and DJ and GOD are a must. So I wonder whether they are open on that day.

May 12th, 2010, 19:53
Sorry, I have meanwhile been told that Buddha's Birthday is celebrated on May 28 in Thailand. In Hong Kong, it's on May 21.

bao-bao
May 12th, 2010, 20:14
Buddha's birthday on May 21 - is it true that all bars and discos are closed on that day and that restaurants are now allowed to serve alcoholic drinks?

I am planning to visit Bangkok from May 20 to 23 - and DJ and GOD are a must. So I wonder whether they are open on that day.
Being a religious holiday it's probable that almost all bars and clubs would be closed, but that's something "only" mandated by common respect for a high holy day. Discos may well be open and not serving alcohol, and with things as they are (read: profits are down overall) limits may very well be pushed. Some places will still serve alcohol on No Alcohol Days but disguise it, such as serving it in a coffee mug.

While I appreciate your physical and social desires I personally would hope the day is observed with the respect it deserves, and I'd guess the vast majority of Thai would agree. Many members here might debate it. ;-)

I did an April 9th post on the blog that shows a little of another religious holiday (Makha Bucha day) in Pattaya a couple of months ago, with a couple photos of Boyztown, nearly empty. That might give you an indication, but Pattaya is Pattaya - not the Big Mango.

By the way - your location shows as Macao (about 80% Buddhist?)... is alcohol served on Buddhist holidays there? Just curious, not picking on you.

May 12th, 2010, 22:15

Being a religious holiday it's probable that almost all bars and clubs would be closed, but that's something "only" mandated by common respect for a high holy day. Discos may well be open and not serving alcohol, and with things as they are (read: profits are down overall) limits may very well be pushed. Some places will still serve alcohol on No Alcohol Days but disguise it, such as serving it in a coffee mug.

While I appreciate your physical and social desires I personally would hope the day is observed with the respect it deserves, and I'd guess the vast majority of Thai would agree. Many members here might debate it. ;-)

I did an April 9th post on the blog that shows a little of another religious holiday (Makha Bucha day) in Pattaya a couple of months ago, with a couple photos of Boyztown, nearly empty. That might give you an indication, but Pattaya is Pattaya - not the Big Mango.

By the way - your location shows as Macao (about 80% Buddhist?)... is alcohol served on Buddhist holidays there? Just curious, not picking on you.

Oh, dear. A Buddha-lover in our midst.

I guess you spend all day praying in Church on Christmas, too.

Beachlover
May 12th, 2010, 22:44
Buddhism is a very lovable religion.

May 12th, 2010, 23:16
I don't think so.

paperboy
May 12th, 2010, 23:48
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh shite

i arrive on the 26 may, now your telling me i will not be getting a drink on the 28th :dontknow:
i dont think evryone will be pleased

May 13th, 2010, 00:06
I personally would hope the day is observed with the respect it deserves
[X] Secular Israelis would love to import the negligible restrictions that are due to Buddhism:

http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Article.aspx?id=167715

The Jewish Sabbath

The Bible states that the 7th day is one of rest -- a time when no work can be done. For Orthodox Jews, this means no fires are lit, no human beings or animals can be made to work, no machines can be operated, no traveling can be done, no money handled, no business transacted. So officially that's the way it is in most of Israel, where the Sabbath, or Shabbat, is celebrated on Saturday. By 2 or 3pm on a Friday afternoon, depending on whether it's winter or summer (Shabbat begins at sundown), most shops have closed for the day. Buses and trains stop running at least an hour before Shabbat, and the movie houses are closed at night. There is a growing list of exceptions: In central Tel Aviv, many restaurants, cafes, discos, and theaters close on Friday afternoon for a few hours, but reopen on Friday night; Haifa has always had a quiet alternative Friday nightlife; and in Jerusalem, a number of cinemas and restaurants (nonkosher) remain open; recently the pub area around Jerusalem's Russian Compound has begun to boom, and Friday nights are very busy.

On Saturday, almost all shops throughout the country are closed (except in Israel's Arab communities, including cafes and Arab or Christian establishments in Jerusalem's Old City) and nearly all transportation stops (only Haifa has limited municipal bus service at this time, and only taxis or small sherut companies ply in or between cities). Gas stations are mostly open on Shabbat, since few are located in religious neighborhoods. Most admission-free museums are ordinarily open for part of Shabbat; entrance tickets, when required, must sometimes be bought from private-duty guards outside the museum entrance. A few strictly kosher restaurants follow this same no-money-handling rule, accepting only advanced prepaid orders for Shabbat meals, which will often be cooked in advance and served tepid or cold; 99% of kosher restaurants, however, will be closed. Also, do watch for signs in restaurants or hotel dining rooms asking you not to smoke, so as not to offend Orthodox guests. (Lighting a cigarette or turning on a light switch is considered starting a fire, which is an act of work forbidden on Shabbat.)

Precise hours for the duration of Shabbat, which vary according to the time of sunset, are listed in the Friday Jerusalem Post. The restarting of buses and reopening of cinemas and restaurants can be quite late in summer, as Shabbat does not end until you can see three stars in the sky at one glance.

Most Israelis are not Sabbath observant and love to travel on their day off, so if you drive on Saturday, you'll find the roads to beaches and parks quite busy. About the only people who'll try to stop you are the ultrareligious Jews, such as those in Jerusalem's Mea Shearim section. There they tend to get violent about people who ignore their interpretation of Shabbat restrictions. Many streets in religious areas will be blocked with boulders; most ultra-Orthodox neighborhoods in Jerusalem and Bnei Brak, near Tel Aviv, have official permission to close their streets to traffic. Don't even think of trying to drive in or up to such areas. You can be stoned, injured, and your vehicle damaged, and you will have no help from the police.

Israelis work 6 days a week, and as almost everything is shut down on Friday nights, Thursday and Saturday nights are for staying up late and partying. By nightfall on Saturdays, transportation services resume, and movie houses begin selling tickets for evening shows. By dark, all entertainment venues are usually packed full, including the many sidewalk cafes. Restaurants need about an hour after the end of Shabbat to assemble their staffs and prepare things before they open their doors to the public. You won't get the best possible meal at a restaurant on Saturday night -- conditions are crowded, staffs are harried, and many items will have been prepared on Thursday or Friday. (Frommers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat#Pr ... activities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat#Prohibited_activities)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_Jewish_culture

May 13th, 2010, 01:26
i arrive on the 26 may, now your telling me i will not be getting a drink on the 28th

For goodness sakes, buy a few bottles the day before at the nearest Family Mart.

May 13th, 2010, 06:07
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh shite

i arrive on the 26 may, now your telling me i will not be getting a drink on the 28th :dontknow:
i dont think evryone will be pleased

I'm glad you have decided to go ahead with your holiday after having doubts.

I can't wait for your report when you return, should be an interesting read!

Take care....

paperboy
May 13th, 2010, 06:15
thankyou bono1love

yes i will put a report on here

dab69
May 13th, 2010, 06:54
grab the bottle of your favorite gin/vodka/whiskey at the mini bar for your pocket to
add to the mix the serve you at the bar/disco. BFD

Beachlover
May 13th, 2010, 09:12
Oh geez... are we that desperate for alcohol? It's two days.

If they're not serving it in a club than so be it... with all the cute boys around... the music... the atmosphere etc. alcohol is just one of the things that makes for a good night out. If it's only banned for 1-2 days you can still have a great time without it.

If it was for longer than yeah... I might resort to sneaking it in as well lol.