PDA

View Full Version : Silom back to Normal

firecat69
May 12th, 2010, 14:55
I walked around Silom this afternoon . Except for an Army presence, it is pretty much back to normal. Barricades, wire etc are all gone except for a few spots where it has been rolled up but not removed.

Skytrain is normal and everything is open. Traffic is back to normal flow but very light at least at 1pm.

Beachlover
May 12th, 2010, 15:29
Thanks for the update.

It doesn't look like things are about to end immediately. Red Shirts are being very uncooperative and ambiguous. The government is getting in better position to justify using more aggressive means to end the protest.

This might not be entirely accurate as it's very quick, but what I gather from a quick glance is...

1. Abhisit has firmly said the Red Shirts should pack up and leave now that they've accepted the road map.

2. Abhisit has threatened to withdraw the offer and push elections back if they don't coorperate.

3. Abhisit says they're cutting off power, water and food supplies to the protest site from midnight tonight. They will also restrict access, which means no one will be allowed to enter the area (including residents).

4. Red Shirts have responded with the equivalent of, "f*ckk off"... stating they will not end their protest and will remain there for now.

5. Government has warned power and water will be cut to the area of the protest... warning residents and businesses that they would be affected as well. They've asked residents to leave.

6. Government has made less-specific comments that they will now start to "disperse" protesters. I suppose this may mean messy removal by force.

Looks like they're now using cdnmatt's "starve 'em out" Canadian wild west strategy... hehe.

This looks pretty f*cked. Unless there is some significant positive dialogue soon, it will probably get very messy.

A few things on the sidelines, which may affect next steps are:

1. Red Shirts are demanding the government (one specific figure) take responsibility for the previous clash, which killed 25 people (i.e. moving the goal posts so they can better justify continuing the protest).

2. Bangkok court has rejected a petition from the protest leaders asking for their arrest warrants to be dropped (i.e. protest leaders know they're f*cked the minute the protest ends so they are less likely to let it end peacefully now).

-------------------------------------------

Thai authorities vow to squeeze protesters

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/th ... 5865573285 (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/thai-authorities-vow-to-squeeze-protesters/story-e6frfku0-1225865573285)

THAI authorities said today they would cut power and water supplies to anti-government "Red Shirt" protesters occupying a commercial district in the capital Bangkok.

"The measures will start at midnight tonight, including the cutting off of power, water and telephones," Colonel Sunsern Kaewkumnerd, spokesman for the government agency dealing with the two-month old crisis, said.

"All kinds of infrastructure, including buses and trains, waterway services will be blocked," he said.

"We will also block their food supply."

He added non-protesters living in the area as well as embassies would be affected by the measures.

-------------------

'Red Shirts' defy authorities' threat to cut food, water

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/re ... 5865636065 (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/red-shirts-defy-threat-to-cut-food-water/story-e6frfku0-1225865636065)

NTI-GOVERNMENT "Red Shirt" protesters have rejected the Thai Prime Minister's demand to end their rally in the capital Bangkok by the end of the day or face life without food or water.

Authorities have vowed to ban supplies to the protesters camped in the heart of the capital as hopes fade for a resolution to the crippling standoff. Power, phone and transport links would also be cut.

"We have made a decision to continue to call for justice for our people here," leader of the protest movement, Nattawut Saikuar, said at the demonstrators' sprawling encampment in the heart of Bangkok.

"If the government wants to take any more lives, they can come and get them here."

Embattled Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has demanded the protests end today. Authorities have asked residents to leave the area occupied by the protesters ahead of the crackdown due from midnight.

Their leaders have vowed to continue their rally until deputy premier Suthep Thaugsuban is charged for his role overseeing a deadly April 10 crackdown, when armed troops attempted to clear part of the capital.

Sunsern Kaewkumnerd, a spokesman for the government unit set up to deal with the crisis, has warned authorities are ready to disperse protesters if necessary. "This is the beginning of measures to fully impose the law," he said.

"To the residents in the area: please leave. After midnight, authorities will not allow anyone to come in," he said.

The movement has said it agrees to Mr Abhisit's reconciliation roadmap to elections on November 14, but it wants to see the government take responsibility for the April 10 incident, in which 25 people lost their lives.

"None of the Red Shirts are afraid of your threats to cut water and power. We will run at soldiers with our two bare hands even if they fire at us with assault rifles," said one protest leader, Weng Tojirakarn.

"We just want Suthep Thaugsuban to publicly surrender himself to police," he said from a stage in the sprawling rally site in the capital where several shopping centres and upscale hotels have been forced to close temporarily.

Mr Abhisit has warned he may scrap the plan for early elections if the protesters do not leave their vast base, which has been fortified with barricades made from piles of fuel-soaked tyres, bamboo poles and razor wire.

The Red Shirts say the government is undemocratic because it came to power in a 2008 parliamentary vote after a court ruling ousted elected allies of their hero, former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who was unseated in a 2006 coup.

Twenty-nine people have been killed and almost 1000 injured in Bangkok in a series of confrontations and attacks, in Thailand's worst political violence in almost two decades.

Protest leaders asked a Bangkok court on Tuesday for arrest warrants against them to be dropped, but their petition was rejected.

--------------------

cdnmatt
May 12th, 2010, 17:46
3. Abhisit says they're cutting off power, water and food supplies to the protest site from midnight tonight. They will also restrict access, which means no one will be allowed to enter the area (including residents).

I just kinda hope the government isn't actually going to shut off ALL water in the area. The red shirts are fairly well armed with grenades and molotov cocktails, plus they've barricaded themselves into the site with walls of gasoline soaked tires and bamboo sticks.

Let's hope the government leaves a couple valves on, so emergency services can put out the fires, or else we're going to have quite few BBQd red-shirts.

Beachlover
May 12th, 2010, 18:36
I just kinda hope the government isn't actually going to shut off ALL water in the area. The red shirts are fairly well armed with grenades and molotov cocktails, plus they've barricaded themselves into the site with walls of gasoline soaked tires and bamboo sticks.

Let's hope the government leaves a couple valves on, so emergency services can put out the fires, or else we're going to have quite few BBQd red-shirts.

Oh, what this? Sympathy? What happened to the "send in the kill machines" and "f*ck the protesters" rant? :P

Yep... The rocket's not pointing in a good direction right now so I hope it doesn't go off.

I'm worried it's going start feeling like we're watching a very slow giant car accident.

May 13th, 2010, 05:32
It looks like I will postpone my trip again. :bounce:

krobbie
May 13th, 2010, 11:54
Was in BKK since May 7 and although protesters in their incampment making ungodly mess of the landscape, didn't impact on me much. Have just spoken to a friend, who works at The Nation, and she has informed me that the OP is correct and things are underway which signals an end to the protest. Will take a little while to die completely but I wouldn't cancel a trip because of it.

Cheers
Krobbie

Beachlover
May 13th, 2010, 13:07
That sounds promising but how will the government calling off the 14 Nov elections affect this?

http://bangkokpost.com/news/thaksin-jud ... tion-offer (http://bangkokpost.com/news/thaksin-judgement-update/37211/govt-revokes-election-offer)

Surely this will send them nuts won't it?

May 13th, 2010, 19:57
"Normal"...a wee bit premature, methinks.

I would NOT go out tonight if I were you.

Beachlover
May 13th, 2010, 20:20
Good advice.

It's nice the soldiers have armoured personnel carriers this time.

Let's hope it's mopped up quickly.

May 14th, 2010, 06:16
They had them last time http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/thaksin-judgement-related/photo/174356/the-day-of-violence
Pics: 26, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36, 38

paperboy
May 14th, 2010, 06:44
looks like live aid to me
http://www.uddthailand.com/

May 14th, 2010, 09:01
seems everything closed today in silom, skytrain apparently not working neither

krobbie
May 14th, 2010, 11:26
Seems I was a little hopeful last time I posted and now we have the shooting of Seh Daeng in Silom last evening. I don't think his Men in Black can expect any further training from him as he was shot twice, once in the head and once in the body.

A state of emergency is again in place in 15 provinces so we are back to square one.

I wonder if the army is just going to pick off the leaders one by one? We shall see. I am in Kanchanaburi at present so cannot see first hand what is happening in Silom. I know the BTS station has been closed again. The US and UK Embassies have closed and the surrounding area of Silom seems to be quiet from all reports, which is understandable.

camperboy
May 14th, 2010, 16:50
wooohoo!!

i can start to make my next trip!! :headbang: :headbang:

Beachlover
May 14th, 2010, 19:17
They had them last time http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/thaksin-judgement-related/photo/174356/the-day-of-violence
Pics: 26, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36, 38

Yes but not in great numbers as (they are supposed to have - but I haven't seen them) now. They're supposed to have 50+ of them to seal off this 5-10 block area... sounds better prepared than last time.

Beachlover
May 14th, 2010, 19:19
wooohoo!!

i can start to make my next trip!! :headbang: :headbang:

LOL... you cancelled your last trip didn't you? You really should've gone back then when it was calmer. Now is definitely not the time to be visiting... although maybe, the more it escalates, the quicker it'll be cleaned up and back to normal... but who knows.

krobbie
May 15th, 2010, 12:57
Looking fairly bad at present with 10 now dead and 125 injured in the last 2 days. Seh Daeng died in hospital last night from bullet wounds received on Thursday. This started a bit of a riot but some groups at the site and reaction from the army. Burning buses and tyres etc. Black acrid smoke stinking the town.

Still no-one seems to be leaving the protest site in any great numbers. Old men and women, folks with babies and children all sitting around subject to the rants of the high-ups.

First thing this morning, already explosions in Silom outside BKK Bank. Gun-fire and movement from the army. The site they wished to seal off last night completely sealed and now Rama VI closed off. I wonder what tonight will bring?

Cheers
krobbie

May 15th, 2010, 12:59
A mate lives aposite the Night market and just called me to say he has to move. No electrics no water.

May 15th, 2010, 13:15
Seh Daeng died in hospital last night from bullet wounds received on Thursday.

can you give a source for this scoop?

lonelywombat
May 15th, 2010, 15:25
The following was posted to the Australian newspaper website in the last hour. Nowhere can I find mention of his death

On Thursday night renegade general Khattiya Sawasdipol, a key Red Shirt supporter, was shot in the head near the rally site.

He was in a slightly improved condition Saturday but still in a critical state, said Chaiwan Charoenchokethavee, director of Vachira hospital.

May 15th, 2010, 15:29
The following was posted to the Australian newspaper website in the last hour. Nowhere can I find mention of his death

On Thursday night renegade general Khattiya Sawasdipol, a key Red Shirt supporter, was shot in the head near the rally site.

He was in a slightly improved condition Saturday but still in a critical state, said Chaiwan Charoenchokethavee, director of Vachira hospital.

yes, thats old news.....but krobbie is saying that he died last night. I haven't seen or heard any other reports about that.

May 15th, 2010, 16:04
If he does live, they're going to have to change his name from Seh Daeng to Seh Phak.

Beachlover
May 15th, 2010, 16:21
What does Seh Phak mean?

May 15th, 2010, 16:55
Seh Daeng = Red Boss
Seh Phak = Vegetable Boss

May 15th, 2010, 17:26
Snipers shooting with real bullets ....tell me it's safe to travel in BKK again. :rolling:

May 15th, 2010, 17:38
Seh Daeng = Red Boss

actually, having half his brain shot away might be an improvement......now he will be stupid enough to believe the crap the rest of the red shirt leaders are coming out with.

Beachlover
May 15th, 2010, 18:45
Seh Daeng = Red Boss

Thanks.

I think it 's probably academic whether he lives or not. He took a bullet to the temple and has been in a coma ever since... He won't be much use if he does live.

Beachlover
May 15th, 2010, 18:47
The "sit and let it simmer" approach was fantastic for the government before... But now, time is not on their side. This level of escalation is not sustainable. They need to have the protesters cleared out soon or they will be under too much pressure to deescalate and let the red shirts be again.

Beachlover
May 15th, 2010, 20:38
A farang describes how he saw a protester get up and shine a laser pointer at troops and then get shot in the head moments later right in front of him. What a stupid last mistake to make.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... l?ITO=1490 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1278378/Thai-protester-shot-head-taunting-armed-troops-laser-pointer.html?ITO=1490)

May 15th, 2010, 22:26
The average IQ of the Thai people goes up every time they shoot one of those morons.

Beachlover
May 15th, 2010, 22:31
*Smack* - That's a horrible thing to say lol.

krobbie
May 16th, 2010, 10:58
Seh Daeng died in hospital last night from bullet wounds received on Thursday.

can you give a source for this scoop?

Dave, I have only myself to balme. It would seem that my statement maybe slightly premature and I apologise. The other night on the TV it was mentioned he was dieing and all the red shirts were crying about an hour later, so I assumed he passed away.

Lesson 1: Do not assume anything
Lesson 2: Red Shirts can cry on demand

Apologies Dave et al

The Nation, Sunday 16 May

Seh Daeng slips to kidney failure condition

The director of Vajira Hospital announced Sunday that the blood pressure for Maj Gen Khattiya Sawasdiphol has dropped so much that he slipped into kidney failure condition.

Doctor Chaiwan Charoenchokthawee said Khattiya's blood pressure constantly dropped until he was regarded as having kidney failure condition.

"His urination came out less and the level of waste in his blood is increasing," Chaiwan said.

"In general, his condition worsened. Doctors are trying to reduce the waste in his blood and urologists are now helping take care of him."

He declined to rate the chance of Khattiya's survival saying doctors are fighting to save his life minute by minute.

The Nation

May 16th, 2010, 11:22
Dave, I have only myself to balme. It would seem that my statement maybe slightly premature and I apologise.
hopefully your prediction comes true :)

Beachlover
May 16th, 2010, 11:29
I think he's as good as dead. He's certainly out of the fight. Whether he actually dies is a bit academic for the time being until the unrest is over.

Is there any other country in the world (I'm sure there is) with such a long history of bombings, grenade attacks and assassinations where NO ONE takes credit and years later nobody knows who actually did it? Crazy.

May 17th, 2010, 10:34
Sae Deang Dies After Suffering from Kidney Failure
UPDATE : 17 May 2010
Doctors at Vachira Hospital have confirmed that General Kattiya Sawasdipol passed away at 9:20 A.M. this morning. His funeral will be held at Somanas Temple.
http://www.tannetwork.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1029310

good riddance......but I have a feeling the red shirts may not react well to this news.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Urgent-Seh-Daeng-pronounced-dead-at-920-am-30129544.html
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Protesters-weep-on-Seh-Daeng&039;s-death-30129548.html

May 17th, 2010, 11:25
Will be interesting to see who shows up at the funeral...

May 17th, 2010, 11:28
Will be interesting to see who shows up at the funeral...

would u care to place a wager on Thaksin turning up to pay his respects?

krobbie
May 17th, 2010, 11:52
I wouldn't think a rogue general would quite fit the bill for royal attendance.

As for Thaksin perhaps he may send one of his children or ex-wife for appearances. I seriously doubt that he would be remotely concerned about it though as he is a little busy thinking about himself as usual.

This is just my personal opinion.

May 17th, 2010, 11:57
The Shinawatras have all fled the country...none of them around to be attending any weddings.

As for the Royal Family, I was thinking of one person in particular who was said to have been a close associate -- though it is doubtful that person would be so brave as to show up.

fedssocr
May 18th, 2010, 08:06
don't expect Thaksin. He's too busy shopping for Louis Vuitton in Paris apparently. I thought he had been banned from W. Europe. He knows if he comes back he is likely a dead man too.

May 18th, 2010, 13:48
don't expect Thaksin. He's too busy shopping for Louis Vuitton in Paris apparently. I thought he had been banned from W. Europe. He knows if he comes back he is likely a dead man too.

Don't know about W. Europe, but Toxsin can not get a visa for the U.K. due to his conviction in a Thai court. The British Embassy revoked his original visa when owned Man City football club, which he had sold to Arabs.

May 18th, 2010, 14:51

Don't know about W. Europe, but Toxsin can not get a visa for the U.K. due to his conviction in a Thai court. The British Embassy revoked his original visa when owned Man City football club, which he had sold to Arabs.

I do not believe that holders of Nicaragua and Montenegro diplomatic passports NEED a visa for Western Europe. Takky was spotted shopping in Paris last weekend.

As for the funeral of Seh Dead -- it was sponsored royally by the King and Queen, who donated the casket. I'm sure it was a pleasure for them to do so.

May 18th, 2010, 15:32
Is this true? I saw it somwhere that say it from Bangkok Post. I thought everywon says hes a bad guy.

"Their Majesties the King and Queen will graciously sponsor the funeral of Maj-General Khattiya тАЬSeh DaengтАЭ Sawasdipol who succumbed to brain injuries yesterday morning. The three-day prayer rites at Sommanas temple are also under Royal patronage. The prayers started yesterday and will continue until tomorrow. The bathing rite held yesterday was attended by a large number of red-shirt supporters as well as his lone daughter Khattiyah and sister Jiaranai Matchakijborribal. The generalтАЩs wife died several years ago."

May 18th, 2010, 15:36
Is this true? I saw it somwhere that say it from Bangkok Post. I thought everywon says hes a bad guy.

"Their Majesties the King and Queen will graciously sponsor the funeral of Maj-General Khattiya тАЬSeh DaengтАЭ Sawasdipol who succumbed to brain injuries yesterday morning. The three-day prayer rites at Sommanas temple are also under Royal patronage. The prayers started yesterday and will continue until tomorrow. The bathing rite held yesterday was attended by a large number of red-shirt supporters as well as his lone daughter Khattiyah and sister Jiaranai Matchakijborribal. The generalтАЩs wife died several years ago."

It's all to do with protocol and nothing else....

May 18th, 2010, 15:40

It's all to do with protocol and nothing else....Ok I give up what does that mean?

May 18th, 2010, 16:51

It's all to do with protocol and nothing else....Ok I give up what does that mean?

Dear oh dear. Protocol means the forms of ceremony and etiquette observed by diplomats and heads of state: Which really just means that the King needs to show or has to seem to be impartial to either side.

May 18th, 2010, 16:55
... Maj-General Khattiya тАЬSeh DaengтАЭ Sawasdipol who succumbed to brain injuries yesterday morning. ...

I guess JFK died of the same ailment in much the same way.

:occasion9:

Beachlover
May 18th, 2010, 19:49
Hehe... "We are unarmed!"

http://tweetphoto.com/22928165

Lunchtime O'Booze
May 19th, 2010, 21:02
I walked around Silom this afternoon . Except for an Army presence, it is pretty much back to normal. Barricades, wire etc are all gone except for a few spots where it has been rolled up but not removed.

Skytrain is normal and everything is open. Traffic is back to normal flow but very light at least at 1pm.

when was Silom normal :dontknow:

Beachlover
May 19th, 2010, 21:05
The words "anything but" should have been added.

About 6 hours after this thread was started, all hell broke loose and the Army started their "containment" operation.