PDA

View Full Version : HIV services for Thais in Bangkok

Hmmm
May 6th, 2010, 16:42
A Thai friend has just been diagnosed with HIV. He is yet to have his CD4 / viral load tests.

He is very stressed, as are his friends.

I am interested to know of others' experiences of HIV services for Thais in Bangkok. Dr Seur in Pattaya will be a good source of advice if necessary, but my friend's job is in Bangkok, and so that is where he needs to get his main treatment.

Amongst the services I have come across on the internet, and would appreciate any experiences (expertise, costs, drug access, support, counseling, etc), are:

Silom Community Clinic, 3rd floor, Bangkok Christian Hospital

Bamraj Naradoon Hospital, Nonthaburi - this is where he is scheduled to have his CD4 / viral load tests. I don't know if this is a private or public hospital

Thai Red Cross, Rama 4

Men's Health Clinic, Bangrak Hospital, Sathorn

Rainbow Sky

Any other treatment resources greatly appreciated.

My limited understanding of ARV treatment in Thailand is that it starts when CD4 count drops below 200, and usually consists of a generic government-produced ARV. I have read that an alternative triple ARV costs around 1200THB/month.

Again, any knowledge or experience greatly appreciated.

May 6th, 2010, 17:22
I am interested to know of others' experiences of HIV services for Thais in Bangkok. Dr Seur in Pattaya will be a good source of advice if necessary, butAmongst the services I have come across on the internet, and would appreciate any experiences (expertise, costs, drug access, support, counseling, etc), are:
Silom Community Clinic, 3rd floor, Bangkok Christian Hospital
Bamraj Naradoon Hospital, Nonthaburi - this is where he is scheduled to have his CD4 / viral load tests. I don't know if this is a private or public hospital
Thai Red Cross, Rama 4
Men's Health Clinic, Bangrak Hospital, Sathorn
Rainbow Sky
Any other treatment resources greatly appreciated.
My limited understanding of ARV treatment in Thailand is that it starts when CD4 count drops below 200, and usually consists of a generic government-produced ARV. I have read that an alternative triple ARV costs around 1200THB/month.
Again, any knowledge or experience greatly appreciated.

Personnelly I would give Dr Seur a call in Pattaya as I am sure he will be able to better advise you than us.
CD4: The World Health Org. is now recommending starting treatment at 350, some countries 500. It used to be 250 but with further research carried out, if started earlier then the infected person has a very good chance of quickly regaining a normal count. Once the CD4 count falls below 200 then illness starts to occur leading in most cases to hospitalisation.

Chok Deee to both you and your friend, and tell him that if he starts, and keeps to his medication regime then he should not have any serious problems.

May 6th, 2010, 20:10
I know someone who is treated at the Bangkok Christian Hospital.
I don't know if this is the Silom Community Clinic on the 3rd floor but he speaks very highly of the service there.

May 6th, 2010, 20:38
According to this article (and others) the recommendation to begin traetment in the US is now 500 CD4 counts.

www.aidsmap.com/en/news/3BB8E49B-B3F5-432F-A2F4-32FB684DF620.asp

Until November 2009 US HIV treatment guidelines recommended that a patient should start taking antiretroviral drugs when their CD4 cell count is around 350 cells/mm3. However, 54% of patients in the study had a CD4 cell count below this level.

In November 2009 new US guidelines were issued which recommend treatment for everyone with a CD4 count below 500, and also propose that people with CD4 counts over 500 should consider starting treatment too.

Hmmm
May 8th, 2010, 11:25
Thanks for the information guys. I had also read that the international recommendation for beginning ART treatment was moving to 500 CD4 count. I believe that the Thai recommendation is being reconsidered, but this may only apply to the government-supplied ART cocktail anyway, which may not be the best available.

Any knowledge or experiences on Thai ART availability (types, best practice, costs from different sources) greatly appreciated. PMs also.

I did find this somewhat useful info on Thaivisa ...
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Hiv-Treat ... 85198.html (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Hiv-Treatment-Los-Doctors-Meds-t285198.html)

Dr Suer's summary in the Resource Forum here is unfortunately now 5 years old:
resource-forum-f8/hiv-aids-thailand-heartt-2000-t2228.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/resource-forum-f8/hiv-aids-thailand-heartt-2000-t2228.html)

Impulse
May 8th, 2010, 14:01
ny knowledge or experiences on Thai ART availability (types, best practice, costs from different sources) greatly appreciated. PMs also. Google aidsmeds and go to living with hiv,they have recent thread on the subject.The best site imho.Sorry I can't post url,my computer is messed up.