PDA

View Full Version : Euro to the Thai Bht

May 5th, 2010, 21:43
.... has plumeted recently. Now only 41 ish if that to Euro.

What with the Brits and the low Pound and this happening to the Euro, Thailand are going to have rough time, The thai bht to the dollar is not brilliant, not sure about the Russian currency. But all in all, Thailand will have to rely on Asian countries for tourism soon. That will bite.

May 5th, 2010, 21:50
42-3 in my local bank today.

May 5th, 2010, 22:15
42.3 ok.

Be interesting to see what it is tomorrow, as it has dropped today.

Beachlover
May 6th, 2010, 04:47
Hehe... suck eggs... Australian dollar going strong. :blackeye:

paperboy
May 6th, 2010, 05:45
hi everyone

just was thinking what was the euro to baht say 1 year ago, or 2 years ago
this is my first trip, may 26, so its all the same to me

thanks

gorcum-old
May 6th, 2010, 08:34
The Canadian Dollar is still very strong 31-32 baht to the dollar.

To bad Canada is so far away from Thailand, more Canadians would visit if the flight was shorter.

May 6th, 2010, 10:31
hi everyone

just was thinking what was the euro to baht say 1 year ago, or 2 years ago
this is my first trip, may 26, so its all the same to me

thanks

May 6th, 2010, 10:58
Hehe... suck eggs... Australian dollar going strong. :blackeye:

Looking GOOD!

Beachlover
May 6th, 2010, 18:17
Sadly, it might not look good for long if this mining tax hike comes into effect in Australia.... but until then... suck my... :blackeye:

May 6th, 2010, 19:05
Well if the Greeks keep doing what they are doing: it will destroy the whole EURO zone, the Germans have had enough of the freeloaders!!They are bankrolling most of Euro.
Buy Gold if you live in Europe or else buy aussie Dollars....the most solid economy at the Mo....!

May 6th, 2010, 21:16
The Australian dollar is strong because interest rates are higher than those in the West at the moment. Mind you its swings and roundabouts, with low interest rates here in the west, means lower mortgage payments, my UK-based mortgage has gone down by more than 30% since the peak interest rates of 2007/8. Swings and roundabouts.

May 6th, 2010, 21:19
.....To bad Canada is so far away from Thailand, more Canadians would visit if the flight was shorter.

Tell u what - we will have Thailand towed a bit closer to you.

:occasion9:

May 6th, 2010, 21:31
my UK-based mortgage has gone down by more than 30% since the peak interest rates of 2007/8. Swings and roundabouts.

Glad to hear it, BUT how much have property values fallen in the UK SO FAR... they haven't hit bottom yet! The tidal wave is on it's way, head for the pills ..eeehh hills!

maisoui
May 6th, 2010, 21:46
my UK-based mortgage has gone down by more than 30% since the peak interest rates of 2007/8. Swings and roundabouts.

Glad to hear it, BUT how much have property values fallen in the UK SO FAR... they haven't hit bottom yet! The tidal wave is on it's way, head for the pills ..eeehh hills!

Not in the parts of the market I'm looking at. Thin trading, but prices are fairly steady, with recent rises in London. Of course the currency is quantitatively eased so you could maintain that there is a fall in the value of homes, but not in price.

cdnmatt
May 6th, 2010, 22:06
On top of rate exchanges, and I could be wrong, but I'm assuming the price of living has went up in Thailand quite a bit in recent years as well. If I remember correctly, when I last visited Thailand about 4 years ago, it was a fair amount cheaper than now. Right now, we're spending about $3500 USD per month, and although we always have money, our lives are definitely nothing special.

I know many people view Thailand as some cheap paradise, but I don't see it like that at anymore. I bet I could get pretty close to the same level of living in Canada for the same amount. Then again, it'd only be me, instead of two of us.

May 6th, 2010, 22:27
Right now, we're spending about $3500 USD per month, and although we always have money, our lives are definitely nothing special.

That's quite a lot Matt considering you live up in the country. Are you spending a lot buying imported foods etc., or do you and the bf just like to party a lot?

Thai Dyed
May 6th, 2010, 23:48
Right now, we're spending about $3500 USD per month, and although we always have money, our lives are definitely nothing special.

That's quite a lot Matt considering you live up in the country. Are you spending a lot buying imported foods etc., or do you and the bf just like to party a lot?

Don't you remember that Matt told us that he gave his bf an ATM card which he lets him just draw on when and as he sees fit and wishes? Matt never seemed to care much about keeping an account of how often, how much, or whether he or the bf had made the withdraws. Given that state of affairs I find it amazing that Matt and his bf are burning through as little as US$3500 per month. I expect that figure to keep going up by leaps and bounds over the coming months. Matt of course will attribute it all to the huge rise in the cost of living in Thailand.

[attachment=0:31whwtkn]bf helps himself.jpg[/attachment:31whwtkn]

mahjongguy
May 7th, 2010, 08:35
Spending US$3,500 monthly isn't that hard to do. That's the same amount that I've budgeted for the two of us, and we don't drink, usually eat at home, and travel very little. And the house is already paid for.

cdnmatt
May 7th, 2010, 10:07

No, nothing like that, and we do actually watch our spending a fair bit. I just don't think living in Thailand is as cheap as some people make it out to be. We're comfortable, and have everything we need, but we're definitely not living like kings. I've only had to get angry at Kim once for spending excessively in one week. That was it though, and other than that, he's great with money. And we're with each other almost 24x7, so we know every baht each other spends.

One thing is, we're still staying at a serviced apartment, and this place doesn't have a kitchen, so every meal it eaten out. Even at the market it's pretty easy to drop say 150 baht, and Kim's still quite young, so eats a fair bit. So food is at least 800 baht/day, then rent, nights out, picking up a few things from the mall every once in a while, give mama 5000 - 7000 per month, etc. Yeah, $3500 isn't too difficult to spend.

Beachlover
May 7th, 2010, 11:45
800 baht a day on food... Easy to go through $3.5k a month then.

Geez... $3.5k a month is probably what most people in Sydney are living off.

cdnmatt
May 7th, 2010, 16:45
Geez... $3.5k a month is probably what most people in Sydney are living off.

Yeah, this thread actually got me thinking the same. I know Songkran happened within the past 30 days, so that definitely ups the number, but still... If we had a nice house, and I had a truck and things like that, then I could understand it. But that amount for our lifestyle? Seems quite high.

Was enough for me to make and print a quick expense sheet. Every baht we spend is now getting written down. Kim took right to it, and thought it was an excellent idea, because he's certain I'm the expensive one. :-) In a month from now, we'll know who's allowed to get pissed off at the other, lol. :-) I don't actually care, but it does seem excessive for the lifestyle we currently lead, and I'd like to see a breakdown of what we spend on what, and who spends it.

Beachlover
May 7th, 2010, 19:13
I bet you find it's Kim and his enormous appetite and you and your 5pm beers eating through the budget... both equally to blame lol.