PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance under the REDs

May 4th, 2010, 23:16
Today I spoke to my insurance company here in Australia regarding travelling to Thailand while an Aussie travel warning
is current .Specifically I queried if I would be covered by travel insurance while in thailand.They told me YES, I would be ,for the usual accidents ,loss of luggage ,etc etc. but NOT if somehow I got caught up in the political unrest / violence that is taking place in Bkk.
Prior to my inquiry I was of the opinion that ALL travel insurance was void if one went to Thailand against the advice/ warning given by the home Gov.Can anyone clarify this? I have read some threads on this forum and others but I would appreciate a definitive reply.My insurance company covers a range of insurance types,Health,Home ,Travel,Life etc. They may have given me incorrect info,hencethis post.
I realise there have been recent developments between the Thai Gov and the REDs but this could drag on for months.

cdnmatt
May 4th, 2010, 23:28
Can anyone clarify this?

Not to sound like a dick, but why are you asking this board (of all places), what the fine print says in the contract you signed with your insurance company?

If the insurance company isn't straight forward with you, and you can't read the fine print yourself, consult a lawyer. You're not going to get any good answers here though.

Surfcrest
May 5th, 2010, 00:09
Ideally, the best time to fully explore what coverage your travel insurance provides is at the beginning, especially if you are dealing directly with a rep that is trying to sell you the package.

In the past, I always asked my travel agent to automatically add travel insurance in and on top of whatever travel IтАЩm about to embark on. This until 2008 when the bf was robbed in the Barcelona Sants of a small pack that included his passport and a whack of other things. I wrongly assumed that travel insurance provided as much travel interruption protection as many airline carriers provide when itтАЩs their gaff on a missed connection.

While it was nice to spend an extra weekend in Madrid and great that the airline allowed us to re-book our flights without any charge, the insurance company only looked after the value of whatever was in the pack and with us looking after our own tab for the extra nights in a hotel.

Since then IтАЩve read the fine print on every travel insurance agreement or have the rep read it and to show me in the agreement before I agree to buy. Or, at least I thought I hadтАж

Then the bf got sick this Spring on a trip to Guatemala. It required me to bring a doctor into the hotel and a long list of medications, albeit most not overly expensive. As it turns out, the travel insurance only pays out what isnтАЩt covered by any other insurance policyтАж.as though when all other insurances have finished paying out, the travel insurance will pay the difference. The amount of paperwork and the amount of time required to gather and copy all of that paperwork wasnтАЩt worth the difference that the travel insurance was prepared to pay.

So, travel insurance isnтАЩt for everyoneтАж.you really need to weight the circumstances that you want insurance protection for and see whether the coverage is worth the price of the policy. I imagine that if you arenтАЩt engaging in dangerous activities while you travel (which in Thailand includes riding on a motorcycle тАУ in any capacity) and that you are just seeking protection from the odd chance that youтАЩll catch a bad bug, you might want to pay for medical services out of your pocketтАж.especially in a country where a doctorтАЩs visit isnтАЩt going to set you back too far.

My guess is that it probably says in your policy and most others that you don't have coverage that is as a result of political unrest.