PDA

View Full Version : Cambodia here I come!

joe552
May 4th, 2010, 02:55
I was due to arrive in Pattaya on 28th May, but have now decided to go to Cambodia instead. Mainly because my travel insurance wouldn't be vailid for Thailand since the Irish Government issued its warning against travel there.

Still, I enjoyed my last visit to Cambodia a few years ago, so it's no hardship really. Have many other members changed their travel plans as a result of the current situation?

ceejay
May 4th, 2010, 03:00
Have fun Joe. I enjoyed Cambodia when I was there a year and a half ago.

I was due to fly in on 1st May - the British Government issued their warning on the 27th and I found out on the 28th so I had to make my mind up on the spot as to what to do. I just cancelled - I had a pretty specific itinerary in mind so if I couldn't do that, then I didn't want to go somewhere else instead. Another time......

allieb
May 4th, 2010, 03:19
I'v never seen such a bunch of wimps as here. Cancelling trips to Thailand because insurance is invalid and Big Brother says don't go. What a load of pussies.

joe552
May 4th, 2010, 04:00
I'v never seen such a bunch of wimps as here. Cancelling trips to Thailand because insurance is invalid and Big Brother says don't go. What a load of pussies.

So, allieb, you'd be happy to land your family with the bill for flying you home by air ambulance if you get hit by a motorbike or trip over a small boy in Sunnee?

Travelling without insurance is plain stupid, and your post shows where you stand on that line.

May 4th, 2010, 06:03
Hear Hear

Do these guys really think that the red shirts are going to target a farang in a Sunee Plaza gogo bar?

May 4th, 2010, 07:44

So, allieb, you'd be happy to land your family with the bill for flying you home by air ambulance if you get hit by a motorbike or trip over a small boy in Sunnee?

Travelling without insurance is plain stupid, and your post shows where you stand on that line.

Hear Hear

Do these guys really think that the red shirts are going to target a farang in a Sunee Plaza gogo bar?

Silcom R, the guy did not say he was afraid of being targeted by the Redshirts,he is rightly concerned about NOT having insurance in the event of an accident.To travel overseas without insurance is like playing russian roulette . Sometimes I wonder about the motives behind some of the posts given here.

TrongpaiExpat
May 4th, 2010, 11:18
Silcom R, the guy did not say he was afraid of being targeted by the Redshirts,he is rightly concerned about NOT having insurance in the event of an accident.To travel overseas without insurance is like playing russian roulette . Sometimes I wonder about the motives behind some of the posts given here.

Oh come on, Russian roulette--a one in six chance of being on the live round (having an accident)? Red shirts or no Reds the odds of having an accident or medical emergency is very remote. Even if you have to pay out of pocket for emergency or medial care, it's not very expensive. Depends how adventurist your vacations plans are, planing on rock climbing, diving and other active sports then your odds might increase especially if your not experienced. Drive a motocy in Pattaya, your just nuts. Drink and drive your suicidal. There's a clause in my Thai insurance that says if I am drunk, drive and have an accident, they don't pay. I don't mind that, it keeps the rates down too.

Watch out for low hanging signs, uneven walkways, uneven heights on stairs, holes that are hard to see, steps that appear for no reason out of nowhere, and motocy traffic on the sidewalks and going in any direction they please.

Last year, I went to Myanmar with some friends and this one Farang, not very experienced in Asian travel was with us. We went out to dinner and was walking along the road looking for someplace to eat. He kept walking ahead of us and was walking too fast. I kept telling him to wait up, he would not listen. The road was poorly lit, and the pavement uneven, I was being careful. Then, he took one step into a dark area of the pavement and went straight down under his head in brown smelly water. He bobbed up for air, must have been some kind of sewer, he was covered in brown slime and stunk like hell. He scraped his legs, and hit his head, minor injuries, lucky. We walked back, he threw away his clothes and took a shower for an hour. He thinks some of the brown shit/slime got in his mouth, nose and ears for sure. He learned the hard way, be careful when walking in Asia, looks down and up and then walk.

allieb
May 4th, 2010, 12:57

Oh come on, Russian roulette--a one in six chance of being on the live round (having an accident)? Red shirts or no Reds the odds of having an accident or medical emergency is very remote. Even if you have to pay out of pocket for emergency or medial care, it's not very expensive. Depends how adventurist your vacations plans are, planing on rock climbing, diving and other active sports then your odds might increase especially if your not experienced. Drive a motocy in Pattaya, your just nuts. Drink and drive your suicidal. There's a clause in my Thai insurance that says if I am drunk, drive and have an accident, they don't pay. I don't mind that, it keeps the rates down too.

STD's also aren't covered which would probably be the number 1 risk these frightened insured pussies are exposed to. For the past 12 years I have paid for private health insurance and have never claimed. A visit to the doctor for some minor treatment isn't covered as there is almost always a deductable in most insurance.

Joe 552 I Wouldn't trip over a small boy in Sunee. I stay well clear of that market. I am prepared to pay my own medical expenses. If I felt my condition was more serious I would try to get home as quickly as possible. All in all weighing up the chance of needing serious medical attention is very remote. I'll have fun in Thailand and by all means you stay at home wraped up in a blanket with your teeth out watching Eastenders with a cup of hot chocolate. Don't trip over the rug on you way to bed.

May 4th, 2010, 13:01
My USA friend and I returned from Phnom Penh a few weeks ago. We had a wonderful time. One of the reasons we had such a good time was our Tuk Tuk driver.
He speaks very good English, is very fun, and really knows the city very well!! VERY gay friendly.

Here is his contact information. Mr. Ya Chea, email at chea.tuktuk@gmail.com phone +855 1 777 3460.

You may also want to try a fun ATV tour of the river villages. Their web site gives all the details. http://nature-cambodia.com/?page_id=22
The owners are a French and a French Cambodia.

I have heard from the owners of Memories Music bar that they have some friends that have left Pattaya for life in Cambodia

May 4th, 2010, 14:32
Joe 552 I'll have fun in Thailand and by all means you stay at home wraped up in a blanket with your teeth out watching Eastenders with a cup of hot chocolate. Don't trip over the rug on you way to bed.

Hmmm. Insurance companies say that most accidents happen in the home .....

May 4th, 2010, 17:07
Back to the OP, if you are there May 10-16 Cambodia Pride will be on.

May 4th, 2010, 17:47
So, allieb, you'd be happy to land your family with the bill for flying you home by air ambulance if you... trip over a small boy in Sunnee?

To trip over ONE small boy in Sunee may be regarded as a misfortune; to trip over a different one every night for a month starts to look intentional.

:occasion9:

Beachlover
May 4th, 2010, 19:07

I think it's called good judgement... No travel/medical insurance can be catastrophic.

Sure a trip to Thailand is fun... but it's not as if it's a case of "cancel now and never get to go again".

It's not as if Thailand is the ONLY fun place to visit... or that there's a limited opportunity to visit Thailand. There are lots of other places to have fun... KL... Cambodia... Singapore... Hong Kong... Bali... And there's no reason you can't visit Thailand in a few months when it's calmed down.

Thai Dyed
May 4th, 2010, 21:27

And its taken you all this time to even notice?

[attachment=0:1yd1brah]scaredy-cat.jpg[/attachment:1yd1brah]

May 5th, 2010, 01:26
If you don't dare to go to Bangkok just order your favourite service provider from GayRomeo to see you in Chiang Mai or Pattaya.
http://www.bagofnothing.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/CatTongue.jpeg
He may even agree to lick you all over and liberate you from your cold sweat. Chairman Mao didn't need much tap water for his personal hygiene either.

goji
May 5th, 2010, 02:59
Cambodia is lovely, as are their guys. Just go & enjoy.

stevehadders
May 9th, 2010, 22:06
I read the post with real interest - and real sadness also.
I too have paid for travel insurance for many years, and have never made a claim. 2 years ago, one of my staff at work was away in Asia and was involved in a road traffic accident - basically his taxi driver fell asleep at the wheel - resulting in the death of 2 of his friends, and serious injuries (life threatening) to the taxi driver and him. Unfortunately he had no insurance. His health care suffered as a result of this - fortunately his family, friends, and all of us at work rallied and raised funds for his repatriation - but his family were extremely stressed during the process, and the best medical care wasnt immediately available - which meant it took longer to recover. Luckily back in UK they managed to limit his injuries and worked with him to minimise the impact of the brain damage he sustained.
I know it is a 1 in xmillion chance that you will ever need it, but having seen this case play out, I for one would never criticise anyone, or make light of anyone who travels without insurance.
Having said that, as I love LOS I will investigate taking out local medical insurance

joe552
May 10th, 2010, 01:16
Sorry to hear about your friend, steve, this kind of thing can happen anytime, and is the reason I won't travel without insurance. It's just not worth the risk.

Hope your friend continues to recover.

Beachlover
May 10th, 2010, 01:50
Sorry to hear about that Steve... sad and stressful indeed.

Which country was this in? Any idea what the cost of treatment and repatriation was?

I hope your staff made a full or close to full recovery.

June 14th, 2011, 12:30
Can I just ask - what advisory are you all speaking off that bans travel to Thailand ? I'm heading out on the 28th June so have just checked the British Government website and short of the usual advisory re the south and the cambodia boarder temple area I see nothing that would stop you going to all the usual main tourist towns and cities such as BKK etc - or am I missing something ?

thonglor55
June 14th, 2011, 13:19
... am I missing something ?About a year! Those posts were all written when there was large-scale civil unrest in Bangkok, Red Shirts in Silom, shots fired, all that sort of thing. May 2010 - remember? It's now 2011.

June 14th, 2011, 16:16
Hi,

Hope those temple sites and steps are OK in the rainly season at Angkor Wat. I don't want to be falling over whilst examining the Khymer culture!!....... :laughing3:

June 15th, 2011, 05:44
ha ha OOOPS !! sorry, it was 2.30am when I'd read those posts and I didn't register the date as last year and just noted the May part - unfortunately with the elections coming up again next month lets hope the same messages don't come into force again !! :-((

Beachlover
June 15th, 2011, 20:27
Nevermind... We may be in for a deja vu of that anyway. :occasion9:

Brisboy82
June 18th, 2011, 11:34
Cambodia is a great country to visit especially for gay people. No problems at the moment. The border dispute isn't really relevant to travelers unless you are actually going to that exact spot.

June 19th, 2011, 06:56
Cambodia is a great country to visit especially for gay people. No problems at the moment. The border dispute isn't really relevant to travelers unless you are actually going to that exact spot.

Hi,

and who wants to go there, not me!

Beachlover
June 19th, 2011, 17:56
I saw the ruins in the news and they do look pretty spectacular. Would love to check them out in future so hope they won't be vapourised before I get a chance! :rolling:

June 20th, 2011, 00:49
I saw the ruins in the news and they do look pretty spectacular. Would love to check them out in future so hope they won't be vapourised before I get a chance! :rolling:

I wouldn't put it past the Thais to damage it beyond repair if they have to give it back as ordered by the World court, and now making a fuss over a tiny strip of land.

Both races can be extremely volatile.