PDA

View Full Version : Late night bangkok query

April 26th, 2010, 04:26
Hi All
I am in Bangkok for a few days at the end of June. Unfortunatley I am travelling with a few friends who unaware of my sexual preferences. Therefore i'll unable to vist the 'attractions' till bout 1 or 2am most nights. Are the gogo bars still open at that time? Babylon seems to open all night but are the gay discos eg Dj station open very late?
Rob

April 26th, 2010, 05:05
Screwboys is open later than the other bars which I think most close at 1am or at least it was a few months ago.

Others can advise you on the Disco hours although i am sure they are open much later.

Beachlover
April 26th, 2010, 06:09
You can probably turn up to DJ Station or GOD at 1am no problem... I THINK they open until 2-3am.

Actually, does anyone know the exact opening times of these places? I can never remember and it helps to know?

From the last trip I gathered:

On weeknights, DJ closes 2am and GOD stays open until 5am.

On Fri/Sat nights DJ closes 3am and GOD closes at 3am as well.

Anyone care to confirm or correct me?

Beachlover
April 26th, 2010, 06:11
My first trip to Bangkok was with a bunch of straights too. I ducked out for a look see in the gay area on my own and thought, wow.

Next trip I came back alone... went to DJ Station etc. and had a blast.

allieb
April 26th, 2010, 12:35
Hi All
I am in Bangkok for a few days at the end of June. Unfortunatley I am travelling with a few friends who unaware of my sexual preferences. Therefore i'll unable to vist the 'attractions' till bout 1 or 2am most nights. Are the gogo bars still open at that time? Babylon seems to open all night but are the gay discos eg Dj station open very late?
Rob

In this day and age why are you are firmly in the closit !!! Why should you bow to your friends preferences and spoil your visit? Dump them and go alone, you won't be alone for long. Option 2 excuse yourself at 11.PM and do your own thing.

April 26th, 2010, 13:42
After months of reading this forum I have now decided to register and post because of the wrong and speculative information written here by Beachlover.

Timings at the moment, with soldiers all over Silom, are very uncertain depending on what the shirts are doing. Bars and discos are trying to stay open as long as they can but a lot of guys are not going out so most places are closing earlier than normal.

In Normal times closing times are:
DJ Station = 3am, sometimes a bit later
GOD = 5.30am, but don't bother going until 2am because people are still at DJStation
Soi 4 bars close at 2am
Gogo Bars in soi Twilight close between 12.30 and 1am
Screwboys in Patpong closes at 2.30am and sometimes later
Babylon - I don't know the official closing time but don't bother after 10.30pm and there's hardly anyone there after that time.

TrongpaiExpat
April 26th, 2010, 13:59
Good accurate info from new poster with a strange name.

Adding to it: Babylon is now closing at 10pm. 39 underground sauna midnight but few there after 10, except weekends. Chakran closes now at 11pm. The only one I know is open all night is Farose.

There's after hours bars/karaoke but you need someone to show you where, no signs and no lights and if the police come by you have to sit in a dark-out until they move on in some places. If your a typical farang with no knowledge of real Thai/Issan food and language, most of these after hour places are of no interest.

Street trade is another late night option but AYOR and again if you don't speak Thai you can run into problems. Some of the bar boys can be found around soi Twilight after hours eating at street vendors--hit or miss after 2am.

GOD was staying open late if there are customers. Now, I guessing there are none. Same with Screw boys, no customers or falling bombs they close.

Beachlover
April 26th, 2010, 15:10
Anyone care to confirm or correct me?After months of reading this forum I have now decided to register and post because of the wrong and speculative information written here by Beachlover.

In Normal times closing times are:
DJ Station = 3am, sometimes a bit later
GOD = 5.30am, but don't bother going until 2am because people are still at DJStation

Why thank you for replying. But do the opening hours differ between weekends and weeknights? I noticed they did on my last couple of visits. We went to another (straight) club after 2am or 3am because GOD had shut at the same time as DJ... which doesn't match with your info above.

I used to think GOD gets going ONLY when DJ closes... but on recent trips I found on some nights (I forget which ones) both DJ and GOD were busy at the same time. Hence, I think they may be a difference between weekend/weeknight routines. Or maybe it was a due to a temporary factor like police action etc.

pudel
April 26th, 2010, 18:06
For me its a shame to travel with friends which might not know the own preferences (if its not for business), sorry but
I have to write this :notworthy: greetings from Switzerland

April 26th, 2010, 23:27
Thanks for all the info lads. Very helpful. Looks like i'll have to make my excuses a bit earlier than i thought judging by the closing times.

Would much prefer to be travelling on my own but we're only stopping over in bangkok before travelling onwards as part of longer holiday. I'll defintely be returning at some stage.

What would you recommend as the best time to visit Babylon so if doesn't stay open late? is there much of a street trade (bar the politicial unrest)?

Thanks for the help

April 27th, 2010, 00:43
What would you recommend as the best time to visit Babylon so if doesn't stay open late?

I'm not sure what the best time is but when I stayed there, there were plenty of people from 6-9. I've been told it's mostly an after-work sort of place so you don't want to get there too late.

As far as street guys go, I had the fortune of coming during a college break in October and met one guy at the 7-11. He was my official welcome to Thailand...quite the place, isn't it?

allieb
April 27th, 2010, 04:04
Thanks for all the info lads. Very helpful. Looks like i'll have to make my excuses a bit earlier than i thought judging by the closing times.

Would much prefer to be travelling on my own but we're only stopping over in bangkok before travelling onwards as part of longer holiday. I'll defintely be returning at some stage.

What would you recommend as the best time to visit Babylon so if doesn't stay open late? is there much of a street trade (bar the politicial unrest)?

Thanks for the help

I'v always found 3 or 4 most afternoons but better on Fridays and Saturdays. Tell your friends your going shopping after lunch and that you prefer to shop alone.

April 27th, 2010, 04:06
A closet can be a very dark place. (Opinion may not be factual).

April 27th, 2010, 12:15
When I went to Bangkok by myself, I wouldn't even dare to walk in Silom after 11pm (and I am a grown ass 26). The only place I felt safe is the Telephone bar but it looks like everyone have been there at least 30 times. Maybe I should explore more next time as I've just found this forum!

Beachlover
April 27th, 2010, 19:30
When I went to Bangkok by myself, I wouldn't even dare to walk in Silom after 11pm (and I am a grown ass 26). The only place I felt safe is the Telephone bar but it looks like everyone have been there at least 30 times. Maybe I should explore more next time as I've just found this forum!

Are you serious? Was this recently (during the protests) or during 'normal' times?

Why didn't you feel safe? Silom Road feels well safe enough... after 11pm it's still flat out busy until 2-4am when the clubs are closing/closed.

April 27th, 2010, 19:48
Certainly scratching my head on that comment. I've been around since 1987 and never heard of anyone Farang or Thai getting mugged etc., on Silom. There has been a few where Transvestites have mugged or pick-pocketed Farangs on the overhead walkways in Sukhumvit near to Nana and Asoke, and those were in broad daylight as well as night/evening time....

April 27th, 2010, 22:14
When I went to Bangkok by myself, I wouldn't even dare to walk in Silom after 11pm

I've never felt unsafe while in Thailand (excluding riding a motorbike in traffic. lol). I find some parts of Minneapolis (near where I'm from) as being a lot more scary. I'm sure if I come to Thailand enough that I'll eventually have a bad experience but that hasn't happened yet.