PDA

View Full Version : What Would Your Government Do?

thrillbill
April 19th, 2010, 18:48
I keep thinking what would other democracies do around the world if they had the same kind of demonstrations like the Red Party occupying (legally????- illegally????) sections of the capital. If it was the States, the government would have sent out the troops and forced them out if one goes by history: ( 1960's). I am not pushing for a military conflict, but wondering if this is the "Thai way"... or if Western countries are less tolerant. (Now the Reds want to take over the Silom banking area--there goes the night life on soi 4!!) :boxing:

cdnmatt
April 19th, 2010, 19:15
I don't know, but the same thought has crossed my mind too. I can't really envision the same ordeal happening in Canada though, as we just don't do that. Not to mention, we have several largish political parties, so we don't really get this type of polarization (red vs. yellow, democrat vs. republican, etc.). Makes for a nice balance.

I was living in Budapest when they had their riots in 2006 though, and the police definitely acted a little differently. I remember the tear gas sounding as if it were machine fire, due to them shooting off so many canisters. Then for example, if one protester fell, six police would run over to make sure he didn't get back up. The protests lasted for maybe 4 or 5 days, and that was that. None of this month long bullshit. :-)

Marsilius
April 19th, 2010, 20:01
If it was the States, the government would have sent out the troops and forced them out if one goes by history: ( 1960's).

An even better and more aposite example from US history is the federal government's use of the army to disperse the "bonus army" demonstrators from Washington DC in 1932.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army

April 19th, 2010, 20:19
What is happening is tantamount to an uprising and directly challenging the authority of the government of the day.Any where else the military/Police would be ordered in to "quash" it, ie serious numbers of lives lost ,and arrest and imprisonment / execution of the leaders.I believe this is not happening because the government cannot rely on the military /police to carry out their orders.As it stands the protesters are in charge of the capitol not the government.I am Not advocating violence,but this is the way ofthe world and of man!

goji
April 29th, 2010, 04:00
Our ***wit Labour government would just borrow money and spend it. That's why out budget deficit is as bad as that of Greece. As for doing anything which requires intelligence, that would be way beyond the capabilities of the PM. "Gordon is a moron....." as the famous song goes.

April 29th, 2010, 04:14
Difficult to say as we are not Thai!

April 29th, 2010, 04:33

But you do speak the Thai language fluently don't you 'hereforme' or at least that is what you told the forum members a few days ago!

April 29th, 2010, 04:40

But you do speak the Thai language fluently don't you 'hereforme' or at least that is what you told the forum members a few days ago!

Who is this guy? Sanook

I have just been informed via a PM by reliable sources that he is a Catapuppet.

April 29th, 2010, 04:53
Who is this guy? Sanook I have just been informed via a PM by reliable sources that he is a Catapuppet.

That took just a few minutes for you to confirm that you are indeed 'hereforme' 'The Equalizer' 'bornagain' bla bla bla.

April 29th, 2010, 05:34
Who is this guy? Sanook I have just been informed via a PM by reliable sources that he is a Catapuppet.

That took just a few minutes for you to confirm that you are indeed 'hereforme' 'The Equalizer' 'bornagain' bla bla bla.

Do use the logic of: Just a moment?

bucknaway
April 29th, 2010, 05:43
I don't think something such as this would happen here in the USA. BUT if Obama was removed from office by way of a Coup than all bets would be off.

May 4th, 2010, 17:52
I don't think something such as this would happen here in the USA. BUT if Obama was removed from office by way of a Coup than all bets would be off.

Why would the Americans bother with a Coup to remove a President?

You normally just shoot them don't you?

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

May 4th, 2010, 18:49
If it was the States, the government would have sent out the troops and forced them out if one goes by history: ( 1960's).

Even in the case of Kent State it was local state government (got as far as the Ohio National Guard), not the US national armed forces. It sounds national but it is state. If protesters in America threatened the public safety in the way that is going on in Bangkok then LONG ago the local police would have acted, or called in the guard, just as they did in the 60's against anti-war demonstrations that could get out of hand.

In China it is the "People's" Army.

May 4th, 2010, 18:53
If our cousins across the water use their fine oustanding army to deal with civil disorder, then can we have a whipround and send our red shirted friends to Kent State?