PDA

View Full Version : 28YO Australian dies in Isaan

Beachlover
April 15th, 2010, 12:32
This is a bit of a sad tale.

The 28 year old survived being assaulted... got away with some non life threatening injuries but later died with all the running about and an infection:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/aussie-dies ... -sgf9.html (http://www.smh.com.au/world/aussie-dies-after-thai-street-attack-20100415-sgf9.html)

Aussie dies after Thai street attack

An Australian tourist who died after being attacked in Thailand will be buried there tomorrow, farewelled by his pregnant Thai girlfriend and Adelaide family.

Andrew Oake, 28, had been holidaying in Prasat, near Surin in north-eastern Thailand, for two months with his girlfriend, Som, who is six months pregnant.

About four weeks ago the pair were travelling between villages when they were set upon by two men on motorbikes.

Som ran for help while Mr Oake was slashed on the arms and head with a machete in what might have been a failed robbery.

His father, Roy Oake, said his son was first sent to a local hospital, but the tendons in his arm were severed, and he was sent to Bangkok for surgery.

Mr Oake said there was speculation his son could lose his arm, but he was urged to leave hospital by his travel insurance company.

He returned to Prasat, nine hours away, but later needed another operation in Bangkok and treatment for an infection that had developed in his arm.

At that point, Mr Oake says the insurance company ordered his son to return to Australia for treatment or it would end his policy.

He was making the trip back to Prasat to fetch his passport on Sunday when he died on the mini-bus.

Mr Oake, who arrived in Thailand with his son's brother and mother this week, said he hoped his son's insurance would provide for Som and the baby.

"I told them he was in no condition to travel anywhere," he said.

"He was fatigued, he was in pain, he wouldn't make it."

The couple were married last year by local monks.

Their friend Travis Senne, an American living in Thailand, said he was concerned police had not made an arrest, weeks after the attack in the quiet town.

"Prasat is such a peaceful area, it's not a big city or anything," he said.

"Andrew was a very upstanding, honest person, a very responsible family man.

"He had a plan, a life plan, but it got cut short."

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokeswoman said staff had been in contact with the family and would provide all necessary consular assistance.

"The cause of death is a matter for Thai authorities to determine," she said.

April 15th, 2010, 15:11
"but he was urged to leave hospital by his travel insurance company."

No mention of who these arseholes are I see.

krobbie
April 15th, 2010, 16:23

Unless the Australian Government keep pushing there is unlikely to be anything done about this, That is just one thing that Thailand is renowned for. No follow through. No proper democracy and no proper justice.

April 15th, 2010, 16:28
I guarantee that there is more to this than meets the eye.

April 15th, 2010, 16:52
I am interested in knowing the name of the insurance company. I dont think his attackers will be caught. The insurance company are the arseholes.

allieb
April 15th, 2010, 19:04

Unless the Australian Government keep pushing there is unlikely to be anything done about this, That is just one thing that Thailand is renowned for. No follow through. No proper democracy and no proper justice.

Unless its a Brit they want to frame up and bang up. Get my drift

Beachlover
April 15th, 2010, 20:03
I am interested in knowing the name of the insurance company. I dont think his attackers will be caught. The insurance company are the arseholes.

Why do you immediately come to that conclusion with so few details?

The insurer's instructions probably make sense. They took good care of him during the critical early stages. Once his condition was stabilised, it was right to go back to Australia where the medical treatment would be provided by the government.

His poor decision to go back to Prasat on his own sounds flawed. Why couldn't he have gotten someone else to get his passport or arranged a more comfortable journey?

GWMinUS
April 25th, 2010, 08:21
So which Travel Insurance Company do your recommend??
And do they cover travel to the Philippines?

GWM

Shuee
May 3rd, 2010, 00:49
now who posted a trecent hread about ' the best thing about thailand is...' !!!! perhaps he was referring to the redshirt violence!!