PDA

View Full Version : Songkran stories!

cdnmatt
April 13th, 2010, 21:34
And it's that time of the year again! I actually do like this board, so will give it one more try. It's Songkran though, New Years in Thailand, so just list off your experiences, good or bad. If at all possible though, please don't degenerate into a bunch of bitchy 4 year olds. It's honestly really stupid. Anyway, I don't care about this board enough to make an original post, so here's something I posted earlier.

------
Nevermind, I spoke too soon about Songkran in Khon Kaen being tame. Yesterday was our big day, today was huge aswell, and I guess the next two days (not one) are going to be the same. They go all out here too though, but I have to say, it's much more enjoyable than my Pattaya experience.

You still can't walk around anywhere without getting drenched and everything, but it's different. Everyone's out having a great time, but there doesn't seem to be too many idiots, whereas Pattaya is full of them. For example, I noticed if it's an older lady or small child, nobody will throw a bucket of water in their face. Instead, they'll run up and pour it on their back. Loads of people are having drinks, but nobody is sloppy drunk. That type of thing, makes everything much more enjoyable, because you know everyone else is having fun too.

Then for the most part the water is always warm, but every once in a while a bucket of cold water will come your way. I don't mind that though. The one thing that does irritate me is that in the very rare case, some idiot will decide to put detergent in their water. Talk about a sting to the eyes. Really, who the hell thinks that's a good idea?

All in all, gotta say Songkran in Khon Kaen is great! We just setup shop at a Thai BBQ restaurant close by one one of the main streets, where there's loads of people. Stood around, had some beers with the staff, and threw water on the tons of passer byers. It was actually great, and both the BF and myself had a blast. Then the boss lady came by, and bitched that we were using the restaurants water that she had to pay for, so that ended our fun.

Tomorrow it's off to the village again, because there's some big Buddhist thing happening where the entire family gets together, and I'm getting dragged to. Don't particularly feel like getting up at 5am, but it's expected of me, so what the hell. Then the day after, Khon Kaen city for another water fight, then Songkran is over. Should be good!

------

Good or bad though, share your personal Songkran experiences of this year! I'm sure many people reading this board, especially those outside of Thailand, would love to hear about your experiences.

Beachlover
April 14th, 2010, 16:37
If at all possible though, please don't degenerate into a bunch of bitchy 4 year olds. It's honestly really stupid.

Hehe... I love how you do that.

Now everyone line up for a spanking from Matt. :blackeye:

Beachlover
April 14th, 2010, 16:41
Sounds like Songkran was fun for you!

Stickman did a visit and review of Khon Kaen last week... He paints an interesting picture of the city. Doesn't sound as small as I thought.

http://www.stickmanweekly.com/StickmanB ... onKaen.htm (http://www.stickmanweekly.com/StickmanBangkokWeeklyColumn2010/KhonKaen.htm)

(I know, there is some controversy over stickman's journalistic integrity or whatever, but I don't know much about it and his articles still makes for interesting reading sometimes).

cdnmatt
April 15th, 2010, 03:36
Sounds like Songkran was fun for you!

Yeah, so far so good. Today was a bit, uhhh... surreal. I really enjoyed it and everything, but have just never experienced something like that before.

You know those movies / documentaries based in Africa, where there's a large crowd of people singing, dancing, and clapping while they slowly make their way down a street? That's basically exactly what it was today, except almost everyone has a beer, is drenched with water, smeared with baby powder, and there's a pickup blasting Issan music slowly pushing everyone along. Really, seemed like half the village was out there, everyone having the time of their lives, while the pickup truck slowly pushed everyone around the village. It was quite good, definitely different.

Thais sure know how to bring in the New Year though, eh? Over in Canada, we party for one night, watch some fireworks, and that's it. The next day, you have off, then it's back to work. Not in Thailand though... they tend to do it a bit differently. :-)

April 15th, 2010, 03:52
Living in Pattaya the novelty of Sungkron wears off rather quickly!

Beachlover
April 15th, 2010, 20:08
Thais sure know how to bring in the New Year though, eh? Over in Canada, we party for one night, watch some fireworks, and that's it. The next day, you have off, then it's back to work. Not in Thailand though... they tend to do it a bit differently. :-)

Oh... you're turning into a hippie! :D