PDA

View Full Version : Radio Stations on your computer/laptop in Thailand

April 19th, 2006, 20:57
I wondered if anyone has ever tried to link into a radio station on the internet and/or laptop in Thailand.

As one will probably know, radio stations, certainly in the UK, are now available to listen on the internet. Even though I live in London, I can listen to Heart Radio Birmingham. I wonder if UK stations such as Capital, LBC etc can be heard in Thailand on your laptop and/or computer. Has anyone tried it?

The reason I ask is on one station which was "listenable" on the internet, they put a notice on it saying it would no longer be able to transmit the radio station overseas due to licensing laws.

Does anyone want to try it for me.

April 19th, 2006, 23:34
There is only one as far as i know and thats www.radiobangkok.com (http://www.radiobangkok.com) or just put bangkok in ur media radio search engine.

April 20th, 2006, 00:11
I listen to radio stations all over the world from my Bangkok broadband internet connection. It's on almost all the time I'm at work.

April 20th, 2006, 05:12
Ok thanks boygeen, that is what I wanted to hear, however, there are "laws" according to Heart FM which tell UK broadcasters not to do it, certainly that applies to Heart FM in the UK as they say so on their site. But wondered if it applied to other stations in the UK. From your reckoning, it seems other countries worldwide let their radio stations be broadcasted.

I wonder has anyone tried to listen to Radio 1 or Capital Radio (UK radio channels) in Thailand.

bkkguy
April 20th, 2006, 11:34
attempting to listen live to Heart 100.7 in Bangkok gives a message

Please note that due to recently introduced licensing laws, overseas listeners will no longer be able to access the live stream. We apologise for any disappointment this will cause.

BBC Radio 1 no problems to listen live in Bangkok

Capitol Radio gives a message

Due to licensing changes, we're only allowed to offer our radio stream to those in the UK. You seem to be outside the UK, so you need to enter a valid UK postcode below. To avoid being asked for your postcode each time you listen, we need to download a cookie to your computer. This will remain active for 90 days, and then you'll be asked for it again. If you don't have cookies enabled, you'll have to enter your postcode each time you listen

bkkguy

wowpow
April 20th, 2006, 12:54
There seem to be hundreds available on the internet. As an avid BBC Radio 4 listener I am very happy with the radio quality now that I have broadband - before was a bit hit and miss. Most of the programmes are listen on demand. Now they have MP3 Downloads whatever those are and RSS will keep your files updated with the latest?

April 20th, 2006, 20:48
... it seems that a lot of UK stations do work out there then, but there are a couple using some new legislation that must have come into effect in the UK